NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Sean

hey guys i got my 2005 standard catalog of baseball cards today and got my calculator i then added every single card from the old judge set thats price was at or over 1,000 $ and i got about 1.370,000 Million Dollars and then just think about 1.3 Million Dollars + the cards that were under 1,000$ so thats about 1.4 Million there and the prices i added were Near Mint so its like PSA 8,9,7 but imagine if the cards were ALL PSA 10 OR SGC 100 the prices would be higher so about the Final Price For a Complet Old Judge Set With All PSA 10 OR SGC 100 would be ABOUT i repeat ABOUT 1.5 Million Dollars thats easily More than that harris t206 collection which was only 1.1 million dollars of coures 1.5 million dollars is more than 1.1 million dollars but hey remember that guy who said a 1952 Toops Set Went over 1 million dollars in my thread that got locked does anybody know about that i know that isnt about vintage but still does anybody know about that thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: prewarsports

A complete Old Judge set does not exist in a single hand, and if it did, in mid-grade (psa 3-4 range)you would probably be closer to 5 million dollars for all the cards by todays market. In the hypothetical PSA 8-9-10 world for every card, you would probably be around 10 million.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Old Judge Collector

is this guy right??? because if he is thats pretty alot of money if you have 10 miilion dollars in cards

Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Kyle Brooks

Hey Sean, do you like baseball cards at all or are you just attracted to their dollar values?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Wesley

Sean is the future of our hobby.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Move over Alan Rosen!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Old Judge Collector: the people who post on the board here are almost always right. There is no need for you to seek to verify every statement which is offered. If anyone disagrees, we will point out the different opinions.

So: yes, "this guy" is right.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: andy becker

yep. prewar is correct.

i'm trying to be kind here j+c,

n172's do not exsist in psa 10 or sgc 100 grades. old judges are not shinny refractor cards....they are over 100 years old. so your question is really a bit silly.
(maybe more than a bit).

as a suggestion, i would focus more of your energy into learning about the cards (and players pictured on the cards) you are asking questions about rather than their values.

i would recommend lew lipset's book, back issues of vcbc, back issues of "trader speaks", and current and back issues of old cardboard.

being 11 years old, you will become an "expert" on vintage cards long before most of us did.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: T Engle

Sean, when does school start?

I'm 14, and I've never really needed a calculator to add up hypothetical collections.

Where's the fun in that?

Add up your dad's set, and get back to us.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

school starts in like August 14th or something like that and my da has like over 1,000 baseball cards and YES I LOVE BASEBALL CARDS I HAVE LIKE 700 BASEBALL CARDS AND IVE BENN LIKE COLLECTING SINCE LIKE 4 or somrthing like that

Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: T Engle

I think it's quality, not quantity.

At $10 each, your collection is valued at how much?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Sean

Okay, I guess the mystery is solved; an Old Judge Set in PSA 10 or SGC 100 is the most expensive.

Done?

SeanBH

Old 06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

what do you mean 10$ each??

Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Brian

All I can say is stop jamming the board with all of your 14 year old questions and just sit back and read and learn what the experts post until your around 18, then you can start posting every day.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Aug 14th?
This is going to be a long summer here at net54

LEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Josh K.

can we just lock this now.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Sean, I have a suggestion for you. Instead of focusing in on the dollar value of cards find a set you like, do some research on the set and buy some cards here and there. Baseball card collecting is more than just the money (it sure comes in handy though) it is a bout a passion for most of us.

I personally have not responded to any of your threads beccause you respond to each response and it really gets annoying. The people on this board are very very knowledgable in this field and you do not need to question them or urge them to respond, if they want to respond they will respond. I have started threads in the past and have had zero responses, no big deal.

Sean, sit back a little read the past forum threads that interest you slow down on you r responses that try to urge people to respond. We have a young man on this board by the name of Zach that is around 16 that used this approach and has become very knowlegable and a real pleasure on the board after about a year of being on the board.

This is added after more responses, Sean please sit back and read you are beginning to annoy many of us. We are a kinder gentler folk but you are pushing our limit.

Lee

Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: DJ

Jordan, you need to relax on this issue. This is a site focused on "collecting". Basically you are asking for an estimate on something priceless and no Old Judge sets exist that anyone knows and especially in high grade. It's like asking what the Holy Grail would be worth if uncovered.

Just to have fun with this debate of sorts, according to the T206.net, a T206 grade of a Honus Wagner in perfect "10" by PSA would be valued according to the site at $93 million ($1.4 Billion if an Uzit back ever surfaces) and a "9" would be over $8 million. So what would be a perfect T206 set be worth? $250 million? What if the set was in a "9" grade? Okay, back to reality.

The closest n172 THAT I KNOW is around 430 cards, graded by SGC and the average grade on that is VG-EX. The truth of the matter is that I don't know anyone trying to complete that beast. What would constitude a complete set? Would you have to complete every variation? That would mean the set would be closer to 2,300 than 520 and that you would have to get the "beasts" in the set: the Anson in uniform, those damn minor leaguers, Harry Wright etc. Didn't one minor leaguer (Donahue?) sell on eBay for six figures in Fair condition? To estimate what an Old Judge set would sell for is probably in the range of the above opinion ($20 mil+) if not more, but that's like asking what the Holy Grail would sell for in a Near-mint grade.

Of course anything in PSA10 form would sell for stupid prices. How much would an e107 set sell for in high grade if only 15-20 examples in shabby (P-EX) condition of every example? Heck, if I do my math right, a 1981 Topps baseball card set would probably sell for $20,000 in PSA10 form.

The highest paid set was the CJ set for $800K. That should be your answer to this point until that number is trumped by something grander. Until then, you are simply chasing your tail for the "correct" answer, an answer no one can give you.

DJ

Edited: Wow! I thought I was the first to answer this thread. Leon, it's time for an intervention. Could this be Moraine's off spring?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: John Basilone

Sean-

You need to buy the 2006 Standard Catalog. The value of the set has now increased to $57 billion.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: David Vargha

Whoa!! $57 billion? I'm going to have to save for longer than I thought to get that baby.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: leon

I have told Sean aka Jordon aka T206 collector7 aka old judge collector.....to only listen and not talk so much, in numerous private emails. He won't listen and is about to be shut down....sorry it had to come to this but he is totally ignoring me. As is normal anything that is detrimental to the board is not a good thing, imo. Sean will not be detrimental much longer.

Sean- either be quiet, don't ask so many questions, and listen ..or you will be banned. You have my number if you would like to discuss it. I am sorry it has had to come to this but you won't take my advice any other way....Read my emails to you.....I want you to stay with us on the board but read more and post questions less.....

Guys and Girls- Sorry for having to do this but what am I supposed to do to an 11 yr old that won't listen and is messing our board up?

kind regards
leon

Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Josh K.

Sean,

I admire the fact that you are interested in vintage cards at such an early age - at your age, I was only interested in which modern stars I was pulling out of wax packs. However, please listen to the people above who are trying to give you advice as to what works and what doesnt work on this board. You will learn a lot more just by reading. I started collecting vintage cards about 3 years ago - I probably read posts on this board for 6 months after I found it before I felt comfortable and knowledgeable enough to post or respond to posts compentently.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: ScottIngold

Boy Leon, I hope i never get as grumpy as you. But i will be 37 soon ... so who knows.

good point Scott....but you haven't been getting the private emails from board members complaining, and haven't seen the many private emails to Sean, either .....but I did edit my message to tone it down a little....thanks (leon)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: barrysloate

Maybe if Sean switched to decaffeinated coffee he would be calmer. By the way, whoever posted that the largest Old Judge set known contains 430 cards: that may be as far as registered sets go, but there are at least two board members who have reached the 2000+ level including different poses; not all sets are graded and registered.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Steve M.

Nuff said.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Barry,

Thanks for the heads up. I was talking strictly Graded (registered) and understand that bigger, ungraded collections exist. Roughly 80% of a set is pretty good and 2000 examples excede the basic set. How close to a complete set exists in private hands?

This is the largest that I knew about (I don't get out all that much). Thanks again.

DJ

Old 06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: andy becker

"Guys and Girls- Sorry for having to do this but what am I supposed to do to an 11 yr old that won't listen and is messing our board up? "

is a spanking out of the question???

Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

This is the 21st century of parenting. That may get you in cuffs.

How about you take away his Instant Messaging privelages for a few days.

DJ

Old 06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

I think Leon is gonna be the target of many prank phone calls at 3AM by Sean and his little league teammates.

Have the feeling that Sean is really: CHUCKY!

Scary

Kyle- It's my cell phone only.....and is turned off at night...but nice catch.... (leon)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

One collector is close to completion but some California League players may be inaccessible and it is possible there are some poses that to this day still haven't been discovered, so I am not sure how one determines how many cards are needed for the set.

Getting back to Sean: I see you are having a tough day on the board and I do agree with others that you need to relax a bit. May I make an observation: if you are 11, I'll guess you are in the 5th grade. I am a former English teacher and I must say that when I read your posts they approach gibberish. I am sure you do not write like this for your school assignments. Maybe posting on a board with adults makes you nervous or perhaps you are just posting quicker than you can get your thoughts out; but if you want to interact with adults try to write a clear sentence. My guess is you can do it but I think you are either a bit hyper or too excited about all these wonderful baseball cards. You were lucky to find this great source of information and people who are willing to answer your questions but you have to express yourself clearly and take it down a notch. Just some friendly advice. Sincerely, Barry Sloate

Old 06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

wait how do you know that the value of the old judge set is at 57 billion dollars

Old 06-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Sean- I think it was a joke. Are you sure you are only 11? I think now you are goofing on us.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Elliot

"I think Leon is gonna be the target of many prank phone calls at 3AM by Sean and his little league teammates."

Leon only makes calls at 3AM not receives them.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

That's just so wrong....for those that don't know I was calling an auction about 3am to place a bid, a few years ago, and hit speed dial....much to my surprise Elliot answered.....I'm like....uh...Elliot, is that you? He's like...yes, leon, and it's about 2am...did you need something? Well, I needed to place a bid but not with you... regards all

Old 06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Leon can i make a thread or no is it to early

Old 06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

LMAO

Come on Leon, is babysitting a moderator duty?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

No ...you need to wait at least 2 days...please don't start one again until at least Friday...and then only 1-2 per day at most. Like all of these good people are telling you...if you will read the old pages you will answer most of your questions without having to start a thread....

Anyone looking for a low/no paying moderator job?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Only if it pays alot.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Kyle,

Perhaps you didn't read the N54 VBC moderator dude job description - BABYSITTING is near the top of the list.

How about an assignment for the young lad. It's summer time and maybe he can fill his time productively. If he can write an interesting post based on information from past threads (and quote the threads) on a certain subject topic then maybe he'll have learned something and Leon could give him an "E" ticket to posting after he's finished... oh yeah, Jordon, if you that don't know what an "E" ticket is then go to one of the more recent threads about "how old we are" and ask one of the "old fart posters" on the board and maybe you'll find out.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: K.Brooks

One thing is to babysit Jay Behrens or the eternal rebel Runscott, but an 11 yr old?

First post from Sean will come at exactly 12:01 am friday... I'm taking bets!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Brad Green

I have another idea of how Sean can fill his summer days. Maybe he can help us find the cards on our "Top 10" list that we posted a few days ago.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1151340495/last-1151449478/Top+10+Cards+You+WAnt

He has the entire internet at his disposal and 20 hours a day to search (only 4 hours needed for sleeping, eating, etc.). Surely he can find some of our cards! Perhaps he can earn some money this way, if people are willing to pay him a "Finder's Fee".

Old 06-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: joe brennan

Not that it needs to be said, but Sean is a product of our times. He is used to and treating the Message Board as a chat room. Instant gratification for all the youth today. It truely effects the game of baseball. With all the instant gratification available, why watch a boring 4 hour 9 inning baseball game. I'll play playstation. 162 games in a season??? No way dude, hook me up witha game boy!! When we were kids, we had 1 TV and 3 channels and never, never came in before the street lights came on. I have 2 teenage daughters that in 9 years, I have never seen them play outside, ride bikes or anything outdoors. Nothing against you Sean, I'm just a cranky old man. Good luck, Leon

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Hey Joe- I'm a cranky old man too. I've never even seen a playstation, and don't want to. I'm with you- it's time for all baby boomers to be heard. I say down with email and from now on let's send all messages by carrier pigeon.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Bob

Joe and Barry- amen, amen, amen. Truer words were never spoken. When I was reading Barry's post, I was struck by the fact he and I had exactly the same thought when trying to decipher Sean's gibberish. How sad that we have spawned an entire generation that has no clue as how to properly use an adverb but can tell you the names of the top 100 selling playstation games without pausing...
tb, another cranky old guy

Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

We 50+ year olds need to stick together. I don't understand today's kids at all.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: jackgoodman

Do you think our parents felt the same way about us. I'm guessing "yes."

I've stayed out of the "Sean" diatribes - but someone above hit it on the head. He's not trying to be annoying, he's just used to instant messaging, immediate responses, live conversations and the like that kids are used to these days. The process of a message board is snail mail to him.

I'll chip in some tip money for the babysitter - I'll give it to you at the National Leon.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

You old guys got it! I'm in my late thirties and I went to the library to do some research today and I found a large "gaggle" of ten-fourteen year olds, hogging up the computers, playing video games, fiddling with myspace.com and despite a large sign that said "This computer prohibits chatroom activity", they were using it for "chat room activity". What was most absurd was that TWO YOUNG KIDS WERE SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND THEY WERE INSTANT MESSAGING EACH OTHER!

Most of the kids took fashion to the limit with their baggy jeans, Ipod buds, their killing of the English language (waz up) and their piercings. The librarians told them that they were loud and obnoxius and that didn't phase them. They were disrespectful to the librarians where it was clear that the asylum was run by the inmates. When I was there age, I was looking to enjoy the nice day and playing baseball or something. Man, while I'm not all that old, I feel old.

DJ

Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

What is wrong with the old guys is they don't even try to understand that change isn't always all bad. You see ... their parents were right - Rock and Roll ruined their minds!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Set!

I was thinking the same thing. In the summer we used to leave at sun up, play every sport imaginable, then come in for lunch, and back out 'til dark. If we had computers we probably would have done the same thing as the kids today. It's still a shame though....