NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Thanks USPS

I really appreciate it!

DARROW DONE 4.jpg

DARROW DONE 3.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Ugh...that sucks! Sorry this happened
Old 08-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

What kind of package was it in.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:20 PM
T0NY @

How was this packaged when received? I ask because it may not have been the carriers fault.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
How was this packaged when received? I ask because it may not have been the carriers fault.

True and I hope there was some form of insurance.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 08-08-2015, 06:33 PM

It was sent in a bubble envelope (the same way I have done it a couple of hundred times without incident), the buyer was trustworthy - this was the way he received it, and, for the LAST TIME IN MY LIFE, I did not include insurance.
SUXALOT
A lesson learned. I can ONLY be philosophical about it.
I am watching 'Big Bang Theory' to make myself feel a little less like a loser.
FYI - This card will be listed on the 'BAY ( as having a heavy through-and-through crease ) starting at 99 cents tomorrow night with a $5.00 insurance charge. The winning bidder will also receive the part of the PSA holder shown in the scans...for no extra charge! EBAU username is 'clydepepper' - bid or you can just send flowers, huh?
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-08-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Daryl

After surviving 81 years in virtually flawless condition, it only took one trip in a govt vehicle to destroy it. Shame.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

That stinks! I hear/see horror stories like this. I have been so lucky. So sorry, Raymond!

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 08-08-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:41 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if you only put the slab in a bubble mailer alone w/o any further protection then you've just been lucky the last 200 times....i don't even ship $20 cards like that, much less a psa8 goudey.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:43 PM
FredYoung

Default Raymond--

I'm betting that card was NOT in a cardboard sandwich, regardless of the padded envelope.

Either way, that damage sucks!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
if you only put the slab in a bubble mailer alone w/o any further protection then you've just been lucky the last 200 times....i don't even ship $20 cards like that, much less a psa8 goudey.
Agreed. Bubble mailers are crap.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
After surviving 81 years in virtually flawless condition, it only took one trip in a govt vehicle to destroy it. Shame.
When I saw it was an 8 I thought the same thing, sorry. It happened to me once with a t206 Doc White psa 6. Nothing I could do but suck it up.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Tom Boblitt

400 count box is the way to go......doesn't cost much more than a bubble mailer and provides WAY more protection.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM

How about putting the bubble mailer envelope INSIDE a Small priority mail rectangular box. Cost is $5.95 2-3 days generally.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I do appreciate it.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Bry@n

Also, check out Collector's Insurance - they insure your collection and it includes when things are in the mail. In other words, your annual premium means you never have to add insurance when you ship (unless the card is over $2500 in which case you can call the company and they will sell you the additional for what it would cost with the shipper). The minimum claim is $50, but nobody would bother with that anyway (fyi Priority Mail comes with $50 for free if you like to have insurance 100% of the time).

Last edited by Jobu; 08-08-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
How about putting the bubble mailer envelope INSIDE a Small priority mail rectangular box. Cost is $5.95 2-3 days generally.
+1

Or put it in any box, like the 400-count box Tom mentioned above. The extra $ would be far better spent upgrading the packing materials than in adding insurance. Personally, I'd much rather receive a bomb-proof uninsured package than something in a bubble mailer with a sticker on it to reassure me that if the contents are damaged, the USPS will make the seller whole.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM
T0NY @

From what I've heard a small bubble mailer will go through the sorting machine since it's thin and small and it isn't a gentle process.

A thicker package such as securing it further in extra cardboard, bubble wrap, etc or even better a small box as others have mentioned before me would be hand sorted keeping it a bit more safe. Just a head ups moving forward!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
had the same thing happen one time to a SCG slab in bubble mailer. Fortunately the buyer was understanding and I offered to trade the same card and grade E121 card and he said not needed and we moved on. Learned to package better after that one .
Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Gobucsmagic74

I recently purchased and received a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle in PSA 3 that was shipped in a bubble mailer. I have never been so excited and afraid to open a piece of mail in my life.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I recently purchased and received a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle in PSA 3 that was shipped in a bubble mailer. I have never been so excited and afraid to open a piece of mail in my life.
Lol
I've got a Lennox and a Carolina bright t206 waiting for me at the post office tomorrow morning.... I'm now terrified!!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default bubble mailer

As a long time Postal employee, I would NEVER put a slab in a bubble mailer unless it was sandwiched between 2 pieces of heavy cardboard. If this had been properly packaged it would have arrived in one piece. A small priority box would have automatically included $50 of insurance at no extra cost, and if you print your own priority mail postage through ebay/PayPal, $100 of insurance is included at no charge.

The clerks at the PO always are supposed to ask - " does this package contain anything liquid, FRAGILE, perishable, or potentially hazardous?". In this case, fragile would have been the appropriate answer, and a good clerk may have suggested a different form of packaging.

If the package was mailed in a bubble mailer with no extra support, you should get a refund from the mailer.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:54 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
If the package was mailed in a bubble mailer with no extra support, you should get a refund from the mailer.

Rick
+1 no reason you should eat this one.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Christopher Williams

This issue totally resides in the seller's court.

They must fix this.

I don't sell that much, but when I do, I go out of my way to make sure it is securely packaged.

I hardly use bubble envelopes, but when I do, I use rigid cardboard to secure the card.

Very sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Al Richter

Default Seller

I thought he was the seller/sender and was simply saying "lesson learned"
Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
As a long time Postal employee, I would NEVER put a slab in a bubble mailer unless it was sandwiched between 2 pieces of heavy cardboard. If this had been properly packaged it would have arrived in one piece. A small priority box would have automatically included $50 of insurance at no extra cost, and if you print your own priority mail postage through ebay/PayPal, $100 of insurance is included at no charge.

The clerks at the PO always are supposed to ask - " does this package contain anything liquid, FRAGILE, perishable, or potentially hazardous?". In this case, fragile would have been the appropriate answer, and a good clerk may have suggested a different form of packaging.

I think Mr. "Pepper" was the mailer, and not the mailee.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 08-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Cain J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
It was sent in a bubble envelope (the same way I have done it a couple of hundred times without incident), the buyer was trustworthy - this was the way he received it, and, for the LAST TIME IN MY LIFE, I did not include insurance.
SUXALOT
A lesson learned. I can ONLY be philosophical about it.
I am watching 'Big Bang Theory' to make myself feel a little less like a loser.
FYI - This card will be listed on the 'BAY ( as having a heavy through-and-through crease ) starting at 99 cents tomorrow night with a $5.00 insurance charge. The winning bidder will also receive the part of the PSA holder shown in the scans...for no extra charge! EBAU username is 'clydepepper' - bid or you can just send flowers, huh?
Raymond
If you ship a lot look into getting insurance it will save you money over buying insurance each time you sell. Even the personal policies cover shipping of your collectibles.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I really appreciate it!

Attachment 200218

Attachment 200219
Clyde---I use bubble mailers, but only for cards valued under $50---I use small priority boxes shipped for $4.95---your cards are more protected that way---I usually get one broken case in 300 mailings---it does happen since the card goes through machines at the postal center (I wouldn't blame the mailman, more so the system----but a high number psa 8 1934 goudey should have been shipped in a box.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Yep, and if you do that with all of your slabbed cards, and charge the customer, you will get dinged for excessive shipping costs - not every time, but often enough to possibly affect your ebay seller fees discount. Those of us operating on thin profit margins, without a team of shillers in our back office, have to consider such things. But I agree with expensive slabbed cards, simply because a buyer deserves priority service and the 'appearance' of a more safely packed item is important for your relationship with your customer.

As Raymond said, he's shipped hundreds of times in bubble mailers without incident. With me it's been thousands of times. On the other hand, I have had small priority boxes arrive with ends opened - removing the card or bubble mailer from such a package would be an easy next step for a thief. As a customer I would rather not pay the extra $3 for shipping.

As others have mentioned, the cardboard on either side of the slab is extremely important.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
On the other hand, I have had small priority boxes arrive with ends opened - removing the card or bubble mailer from such a package would be an easy next step for a thief. As a customer I would rather not pay the extra $3 for shipping.
Tape.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

If I were mailing a slabbed card to some of the guys participating in this thread, it would definitely go in a priority box - I would hate for someone to be angry when they saw a bubble mailer in their mail box. I would rather they be excited about opening the package and seeing their card.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:40 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

You don't have to ship Priority to use a box. If you're getting tracking, you're paying for a 3 ounce package regardless. On single cards, packing in a 400count box vs a bubble mailer typically makes zero difference in postage cost. Even if it goes up to the next ounce, you're talking about an extra 21 cents. All in, including buying the box vs a bubble mailer, you might be looking at a difference of 50 cents when shipping 1st Class. In most cases, not even that much. But it makes a world of difference in perception on the receiving end when your item arrives in a box vs a bubble mailer, even if you pass on the added expense to the buyer.

The problem with bubble mailers is that shippers think they have some special power to whisk the contents off to their destination in a protective cushion of air. They don't. Think of them more like a brown paper bag: good for concealing their contents, but providing very little protection beyond that. If you wouldn't feel comfortable putting the item in a paper bag, wadding it up, and shoving it into a hole slightly smaller than the item, it's probably best to beef up the packaging. On the other hand, if it's something you would normally drop in a manila envelope except that you need to be able to add tracking, then a bubble mailer might be okay. As long as you're okay with your envelope alternative getting folded in half to fit into a too-small mailbox.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 08-09-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Compulsive grammatical revisionist
Old 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Tape.
I use the small flat rate priority boxes $4.95---and always tape the ends and top----the glue on those boxes are horrible, but taping does the job---I use bubble padded sleeves for $20 card range--and usually they make it with no problem, but every now and then, one does break---but for money cards always use small rate priority boxes---and knowing it is a expensive card, I do charge $5 shipping.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default packages

I wish I could show you guys the way we receive our packages. Picture a large plastic hamper, about 4' long, 3' wide, and 3' feet high. When it leaves the processing plant, it is filled with packages. It may contain 10-12 larger packages, or it may may contain 300-400 small packages, or it may contain a mixture of a couple of hundred large and small packages. If your package with the unprotected slab in a bubble mailer happens to be on the bottom of 300 small packages, with a dozen heavy packages on top, you may very well end up with a damaged slab.

The processing plant is sending hampers of packages to 150 or so different post offices, some of them are 100 miles from the plant, and the only efficient way to send them is in these large hampers. So, always package your item as if it will be on the bottom a hamper with 300 other parcels.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 08-09-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I use the small flat rate priority boxes $4.95---and always tape the ends and top----the glue on those boxes are horrible, but taping does the job---I use bubble padded sleeves for $20 card range--and usually they make it with no problem, but every now and then, one does break---but for money cards always use small rate priority boxes---and knowing it is a expensive card, I do charge $5 shipping.
I do the same thing. Small flat rate box for expensive items, always with extra tape around the edges because the glue on the box is not good enough. Also I stamp the outside of the box in several places with my "fragile" stamper prior to taping it up, and pack the inside of the box with extra bubble wrap or peanuts to prevent shifting of contents.

Finally, I hand carry the package to my PO, where over the years I have established a good rapport with all the employees, and get it scanned with receipt. So far no problems with this method in 20 years.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Shipping

I buy Elmer's foam board at Walmart it cost about $6.50 for a 4 pack. You can cut it with a utility knife to size, and you can get quite a few pieces out of a sheet. It is very light weight and very rigid. Depending on the value, I put one or two pieces taped to a bagged slab and then mail in a bubble envelope. The stuff is tuff to bend, so tuff I also use it for comics as well. Luckily never had a problem and buyers love it.

Last edited by rp12367; 08-10-2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Amazing stuff. The safest way to ship would be to personally carry each item to its destination and the least safe would be to stick a stamp and address label diectly on the slab. Everything between is a matter of opinion.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Ughhh... Just repackaged outgoing shipment to include cardboard sandwich.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 AM
B.ob L.amb

Quote:
I agree, plus they give you $50 worth of insurance included.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Likely the machinery, not the carrier. Them high-speed ollers eat padded envelopes. Fatten em up and they get hand sorted. Sorry for the loss.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Robert Williams

Not to pile on, but just shipping a card like that by itself in a plain old bubble mailer is just begging for trouble. I take all my high dollar cards and wrap them in bubble wrap long enough to go over the card at least 4 times! It costs so very little to do it that way, and adds nothing extra in the way of weight hardly.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Not to pile on, but just shipping a card like that by itself in a plain old bubble mailer is just begging for trouble. I take all my high dollar cards and wrap them in bubble wrap long enough to go over the card at least 4 times! It costs so very little to do it that way, and adds nothing extra in the way of weight hardly.
Cardboard is free and bubble mailers are cheap. As Lance pointed out, cardboard boxes can also be used for priority or 1st class shipping - the problem is finding enough of them if you are a volume seller, but quite honestly, I never considered it. If I get a large batch of graded cards in the future, I will definitely look into buying small boxes in bulk.

Lance is always thinking outside the box <=== get it?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

I just had this happen on an order from PSA. Thank goodniess my cases were only cracked and reholder was success! They shipped in the small brown PSA box. The two cards on the end were cracked. My guess is that USPS carrier somewhere played football with the box.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Larry P.

.... I will definitely look into buying small boxes in bulk

Priority mail boxes are free at usps.com
Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
.... I will definitely look into buying small boxes in bulk

Priority mail boxes are free at usps.com
I shipped the each newly sold card in fitted plastic sleeves bookended by previously mentioned cardboard strips bound by two rubber bands, and for the multiple-card order, I wrapped them in bubble-wrap fitting snugly in one of the afore-mentioned PSA boxes.

Just for overkill, I also insured each package for their full amount.

Thanks for all the input and advice...I have indeed learned from it.

Any further 'assistance' can accurately be depicted as 'pilling on'.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:12 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Cardboard is free and bubble mailers are cheap. As Lance pointed out, cardboard boxes can also be used for priority or 1st class shipping - the problem is finding enough of them if you are a volume seller, but quite honestly, I never considered it. If I get a large batch of graded cards in the future, I will definitely look into buying small boxes in bulk.

Lance is always thinking outside the box <=== get it?
Scott (and anyone else that cares too listen), you might take a look at BCW (bcwsupplies.com) for collecting supplies that can double as shipping supplies. In addition to the aforementioned 400-count boxes, I recommend the 330-count boxes for shipping a single baseball in ball cube (they also sell cubes), and the various sleeves and toploaders for flats of all sizes. If you have a tax number, it's worthwhile to register for a dealer/bulk account (no "free shipping" but the discount more than makes up for it). If memory serves, being on the west coast should help with shipping costs too.

I like the card boxes for shipping small items because they are very lightweight, yet also very sturdy due to the way the flaps of the lid lock into the sidewalls of the box. They do have boxes specifically sized for slabs, but last time I checked, other sizes like the 400 count boxes worked just as well but at a lower price.

Fwiw, with a 330 count box closed firmly around a ball cube turned on its side (I know, a cube turned on its side sounds weird, but trust me), I can stand on the box and hop up and down without cracking the cube. And packed that way, the package weighs 12oz, meaning it can be shipped 1st Class.

Sure, the post office will provide a Priority box for free, but then you're locked into paying for Priority shipping. If you're shipping primarily lightweight items, and doing so frequently, it may be worth checking into alternatives that will allow secure shipping while staying under the 13-ounce cutoff for 1st Class, even if it means buying your own boxes.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Lance. After I finish selling my current inventory, I may concentrate on graded cards - that was my original business plan, but it evolved to 'miscellaneous cool shit'.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
John

I noticed some dealers use the white (I'm guessing ~300 count) card storage boxes to ship graded cards - I always save these when I get them for my own use because they are a real hard cardboard - actually better than priority mail boxes.