NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Deacon White Old Judge card and other

Hey everyone,

I was recommended to come and post to Net45 from Blowout forums today. Essentially my friend found his great grandfathers binder of old baseball and football cards. Old judges and a few gypsy queens and mayo cutplug football cards

Im helping them navigate the waters to find the best route to selling. They are currently glued to the paper and there are hundreds of them.

What auction house would you reccomend going to? Several people have mentioned REA to help with the grading process and getting up to auction. Let me know what you think.

Also, it was pointed out that this appears to be a Deacon White card when he was with Pittsburgh - I havent been able to find any similiar cards online

Currently we know the Pud Galvin, $10K Kelly, and Cap Anson could be worth something. Do you see any rare variations of the other cards?

Thanks!

I'll be posting all of the cards shortly (im new here to need to figure out the best way to get the pics up)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg judge1.jpg (68.0 KB, 767 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-12-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: rotated image
Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Mark Medlin

Nice pic. Will be interested in seeing more.

Mark
Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Eric Perry

Wow, what a find. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Nice pic. Will be interested in seeing more.

Mark

Theres a TON of the non sport cards in there as well. Dogs, politicians, women, you name it
Old 09-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Default quick Qs

1) Is this the best forum in Net45 to be posting this?

2) How do you post the pictures? Everytime I try from my laptop the pics come in sideways

Sorry im a newb and trying to get this right
Old 09-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Scott Russell

I would whole-heartedly recommend REA and this is coming from an auction owner. They have the time, resources, and buyers to get the best price for these even if they're left on the pages.

Good luck and don't hesitate to hit me up with any specific questions you might have about the auction process.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I would say this is the right forum here. I was one of a few who suggested you cross-post from Blowout (and stopped over here to see what some of the experts here are saying). Unfortunately I can't help you with the photo images as I've never uploaded any, but you did get many of them up on blowout so you might be able to link that that site (I think Leon allows cross-posts like that.).
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Pictures

Heres the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZUFGXOz

Let me know what you guys find - if there are any rare cards, variations etc

Last edited by Redbandit; 09-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Nice find. The most valuable cards that I noticed appear to be the Deacon White and the Kelly Gypsy Queen. The condition is rough (and could be worse after scrapbook removal) but those cards would do well regardless. There may be some hidden gems in the unposted cards. As one of the authors of the Old Judge book, I would be happy to help you identify any rarities and suggest an auction house to handle them should you decide to sell. My email is oldjudge@gmail.com.

Best—Jay
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Nice find. The most valuable cards that I noticed appear to be the Deacon White and the Kelly Gypsy Queen. The condition is rough (and could be worse after scrapbook removal) but those cards would do well regardless. There may be some hidden gems in the unposted cards. As one of the authors of the Old Judge book, I would be happy to help you identify any rarities and suggest an auction house to handle them should you decide to sell. My email is oldjudge@gmail.com.

Best—Jay
Thanks Jay- have you seen this Deacon White before? I couldn't find any other images of it online

I'll make sure to pass your info along to my buddy
Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM
David M.

If you are on a computer, click the "Post Reply" at the bottom of the thread and you will come up in another window that you can type text into. At the top center of that box, is a symbol that looks like a paper clip. Click on that and it will open another box that says "Manage Attachments". In that box you can pick "Choose File". When you click that it will let you pick a file off of your computer to upload. You can chose a file and then click "upload". After a few seconds it will tell you if it successfully uploaded. Then you can chose another file if you have multiple pictures to upload. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
If you are on a computer, click the "Post Reply" at the bottom of the thread and you will come up in another window that you can type text into. At the top center of that box, is a symbol that looks like a paper clip. Click on that and it will open another box that says "Manage Attachments". In that box you can pick "Choose File". When you click that it will let you pick a file off of your computer to upload. You can chose a file and then click "upload". After a few seconds it will tell you if it successfully uploaded. Then you can chose another file if you have multiple pictures to upload. Hope this helps.
Thanks David - i had done that before, but all of the images are too big and being posted sideways. I posted an imgur link that has all of the pics in one gallery
Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Yes, it is pose 496-6. The pose comes with both an 1888 Detroit card and an 1889 Pittsburgh card, the latter of which is the more common (the one you have). That said, all Deacon White cards are scarce and, since his election to the HOF, in high demand.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbandit View Post
Thanks David - i had done that before, but all of the images are too big and being posted sideways. I posted an imgur link that has all of the pics in one gallery
Welcome to the forum.
I just saved it as a jpg, opened it in paint and rotated it. It took about 1 minute. Computers are best for working on the forum. Since that is what I use that is all I care about (just kidding). If I can ever help shoot me a pm. But you are in good hands.

Last edited by Leon; 09-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Wow that is some collection.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Derek Granger

Despite the clarity and the blob of ink, I see a nice 1889 Clark Griffith as well, which is his "rookie" issue. That might fetch you $750 or so.

I would tend to agree with other posters on here to consign to Robert Edward Auctions or one of the handful of "honest" auction houses. I know Jay has removed other Old Judges from scrapbooks, so he might be best to discuss the removal process (if you go down that route). I personally think that breaking up the collection would be best (from a monetary standpoint). I'm not sure if REA would do that service for you (scrapbook removal, that is), but you could always ask.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 09-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Dave Johnson

Wow epic find! Thanks for sharing. Cool to see such a large collection of these cards that were “lost” to time. Really love seeing all of these old cards
Old 09-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfcollector View Post
Wow epic find! Thanks for sharing. Cool to see such a large collection of these cards that were “lost” to time. Really love seeing all of these old cards
It really is - these were sitting in an attic in South Boston completly forgotten about
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I noticed an N172 Ed Delahanty, along with Billy Sunday and Harry Stovey, as well as an N300 Cap Anson.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM
David Kathman

Also a Mickey Welch, another HOFer.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Here's a list of the better cards I saw:

N172
Cap Anson, 11-1
RL Caruthers, 71-2 (two different)
Ed Delahanty, 123-5
Clark Griffith, 201-1
Ned Hanlon, 212-3
Tommy McCarthy, 301-9
Tony Mullane, 331-5
James Mutrie, 336-3
Hoss Radbourn, 377-3
Amos Rusie, 395-1
Harry Stovey, 440-1
Billy Sunday, 446-5
Mickey Welch, 486-2
Deacon White, 496-6

Gypsy Queen
Pud Galvin
Mike Kelly

N300
Cap Anson

Mayo
John L. Sullivan (boxer)

Steved

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM
E. Angyal

Default Some other better ones ...

Include the Mayo foot ball of Hinckey and Poe as well.

Angyale
Old 09-14-2019, 08:05 AM
Joe Gonsowski

What a beautiful collection. Apparently original but likely placed in scrapbook later in life after the cards were well loved. Looks like most of the Old Judge cards were purchased in 1889 ("Fc" style ad - "Cigarette Factory") yet the smoker/original collector must have sampled a couple Gypsy Queens in late 1887.

From the pic, and the cards listed elsewhere in this thread, I'd agree Deacon White may be the best card. Would love to see more pics or list of names. 1889 cards are generally among the more common but there are some true rarities such as the California League cards.

Thank you for posting and let us know how these cards might find their way into the hobby.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 09-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Joe Gonsowski

I just found the link to more of the images, missed that first time through. There were a couple 1887 OJs and a couple 1888s but otherwise almost all 1889. I didn't note any California League or great rarities but nice cards none-the-less.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Discovery follow up

Hello everyone,

First off - just wanted to say THANK YOU for your guidance on what to do with this rare find. As I noted a few months ago, my friend went with REA and several of the cards are now up on their auction.

This one in particular is amazing:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=60897

It is a never before seen George Winkelman card. Just incredible new cards are still being discovered
Old 11-20-2019, 12:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It is not a "never before seen" card. It is a known pose. BTW, who removed the cards from the album?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It is not a "never before seen" card. It is a known pose. BTW, who removed the cards from the album?

Ah sorry I misread REA hasnt seen it before (as they wrote in the description)

REA had them professionally removed from the album and graded
Old 11-20-2019, 02:25 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Actually, what they say is that these cards are new to the hobby. I honestly don’t know if new to the hobby or old to the hobby is better. A new to the hobby card increases the population of a particular card and, everything else held equal, should devalue the card.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Actually, what they say is that these cards are new to the hobby. I honestly don’t know if new to the hobby or old to the hobby is better. A new to the hobby card increases the population of a particular card and, everything else held equal, should devalue the card.

"Aside from the example used as an illustration in the "Old Judge Book," this is the first example we have ever seen of this card"
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Rob

redbandit, it's a nice card and would be of interest to collectors with Hartford ties, even if they don't normally collect OJ's. "Old Judge" is going to have a broader knowledge of these cards than the auction house.

I noticed that 505-2 is not pictured in the OJ book, which is apparently the very rare pose. Your card is 505-1 and is still a neat and rare card. Good luck with the auction. Rob
Old 11-20-2019, 03:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Sorry-I thought you were talking about the Deacon White. The pose is scarce, but Winkleman is no longer as scarce as we thought it was when we did the book. In fact, Rob, we have seen at least three copies of Pose 2 since the book was done, even though we had no image at that time.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Rob

Thanks, for the update, Jay. When I refer to y'alls book and don't see an image, I always assume it's pretty scarce.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM
D@ve Se@born

Default Amazing

Just an amazing collection, now that they have been soaked and individually encapsulated by SGC you can really appreciate their appeal. REA's professional conservator did a first class job reoving them from the scrapbook and some of the cards are just jumping off my screen! I put my bids in, hoping I'm lucky enough to snag a couple.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
Just an amazing collection, now that they have been soaked and individually encapsulated by SGC you can really appreciate their appeal. REA's professional conservator did a first class job reoving them from the scrapbook and some of the cards are just jumping off my screen! I put my bids in, hoping I'm lucky enough to snag a couple.
Thats awesome! Good luck!
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Fred

Quote:
Sorry-I thought you were talking about the Deacon White. The pose is scarce, but Winkleman is no longer as scarce as we thought it was when we did the book. In fact, Rob, we have seen at least three copies of Pose 2 since the book was done, even though we had no image at that time.

Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread -

Jay,

Are there any plans to release an update to the "OJ Bible" any time soon? The assumption is that there have been some new revelations since the release of the book 10+ years ago. IMHO, one of the best damn books EVER provided to this hobby.

Last edited by Fred; 11-23-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Fred-You are right. There have been some new revelations and plenty of updates. Unfortunately, producing a hard cover book like the first one was a money loser. I can say with some certainty that we will probably not be doing an update in that format. What is a possibility is to do some sort of less elaborate addendum. We have had brief preliminary discussions, but nothing has progressed thus far.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Mike

Add a few pages with pictures and publish an update through Amazon. They print per order. Little up front money and the hobby would get an update to the Old Judge book. Get paid per item ordered. You set the price of the book. I was told it is simple by my dentist who just published a book with them.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 11-23-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is what I was thinking. Maybe a small, inexpensive, soft cover to update the book with only several pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Add a few pages with pictures and publish an update through Amazon. They print per order. Little up front money and the hobby would get an update to the Old Judge book. Get paid per item ordered. You set the price of the book. I was told it is simple by my dentist who just published a book with them.