NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Patrick N.

Default Did Players Know?

What pic/shot would become their Topps baseball card for the year? i.e. "Topps is sending there photographer today so stand here so we can snap this shot..." Or did photographers take a lot of diff pics and later decide what pic would be used on baseball card...I know later in the 70s there were more action shots used so obviously those pics weren't staged but the 60s seems to be mostly mugshots and was wondering if these were pre-planned on a certain date, etc.

Last edited by mintacular; 04-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Anthøny N. ex

you can often find Topps Vault auctions for images that weren't used on cards. I have no doubt when Topps sent out a photographer they shot multiple frames, and I really doubt the players had a say in what frame ended up on the card.
The shoots would have been planned, the players were told or just pulled to the side as they came onto the field.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Al Richter

Default Card Photos

And since photos were often reused and taken earlier, and players changed teams, expansion teams arose, and the deadlock between Topps and Marvin Miller complicated licenses in the latter 60s, I agree with Anthony they likely took several shots-- action shots, cap shots, capless shots---to give them more flexibility out of their library.

Keith Olberman and SCD have had some interesting articles on Topps often peculiar use or reuse of photos
Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Thinking of some of the awful pictures I've seen on cards, I'd say there was no way the players had a say on what picture was used for the cards. I'd love to post an example but I'm at work.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Thinking of some of the awful pictures I've seen on cards, I'd say there was no way the players had a say on what picture was used for the cards. I'd love to post an example but I'm at work.
Agreed. I got the feeling that photographers submitted the worst shots possible of players who irritated them, although I suppose they maybe weren't the ones with the final say as to what was used. Still, some of those cards were so unflattering I really wonder if someone was trying to make a point.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

1964 Billy O'Dell and 1973 Joe Rudi are some not so great photos.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
David M.

I don't think they had any say in the photo used. I once got a signature from Don Sutton on his rookie card. He took one look at it, and said "I always hated that picture!", and then signed right across his face. Thanks alot!