NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-07-2017, 07:25 AM

I like that someone stole Brady's jersey. Where was Ruben Rivera?

Last edited by packs; 02-07-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I have no skin in the game, but my question is.

Has a team with the lead in the waning moments of a game (not necessarily a Super Bowl) ever kicked a first down field goal?

After the Jones catch, there were two issues for the Falcons, the score and the clock.

A first down field goal (with a 95% chance of success) would have given them an eleven point lead and probably the victory.

Instead they run time off the clock, but instead of running forward, they run backward. Whoops no field goal.

Without momentum in the the fourth quarter, the Falcons should have taken the points that Julio's catch provided.

With a little extra time on the clock, the Pats may have scored a touchdown, a two point conversion and a field goal and the outcome would have been the same. We'll never know, but I doubt that a field goal on first down was even considered.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

A team can kick a field goal on any down during their possession. The same goes for a punt which is called a quick kick. I have seen both in a game. A filed goal is commonly kicked during an early down when the clock is running out and the team needs the points to win or tie.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM
H Murphy

Default Pats

Well it appears in spite of the weather here in Mass. the parade is going VERY well. Kraft is excited as ever, the Pats faithful has showed up in droves and Coach Belichick seems unusually delighted in the festivities ! James White is getting much love from the crowd as well as a brand new truck awarded to the S Bowl MVP. Overall, another great day for the community. On a side note, the coverage did mention and honor the Marathon Day victims when the convoy passed the site of the tragedy.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
A team can kick a field goal on any down during their possession. The same goes for a punt which is called a quick kick. I have seen both in a game. A filed goal is commonly kicked during an early down when the clock is running out and the team needs the points to win or tie.
I know that a field goal can be kicked on any down. I just wondered if a first down field goal had ever been kicked with several minutes on the clock to change a one score game into a two score game in deference to trying to run time off the clock.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I know that a field goal can be kicked on any down. I just wondered if a first down field goal had ever been kicked with several minutes on the clock to change a one score game into a two score game in deference to trying to run time off the clock.
Sure you could, but no one would. At minimum, you'd down it 3 times (making sure center the ball), forcing them to use all timeouts (or bleed 2 min), then kick. That's as conservative as you would ever play it.

Just imagine the blow back if they kicked on first down, allowing the Pats to keep all 3 TO with over 4 min left, then lost? 4 min is still time enough to score twice, and with all timeouts you don't even need a successful onside. Imagine even worse if you kicked, missed and gave them the ball at the spot of the hold, with 4 min and all timeouts... That's just taking like taking a 7-8 yard sack on 4th down.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Sure you could, but no one would. At minimum, you'd down it 3 times (making sure center the ball), forcing them to use all timeouts (or bleed 2 min), then kick. That's as conservative as you would ever play it.

Just imagine the blow back if they kicked on first down, allowing the Pats to keep all 3 TO with over 4 min left, then lost? 4 min is still time enough to score twice, and with all timeouts you don't even need a successful onside. Imagine even worse if you kicked, missed and gave them the ball at the spot of the hold, with 4 min and all timeouts... That's just taking like taking a 7-8 yard sack on 4th down.
Frank did not get the memo about clock management.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Jeff

Rigged? Then Kyle Shanahan must have been in on it too.
They were up 28-3 and got a bad case of tight ass.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Frank did not get the memo about clock management.
Neither did the Falcons.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I like that someone stole Brady's jersey. Where was Ruben Rivera?
Packer guy. Yea, were gonna have to cut ya loose. I understand your rage. But, this was meant as a positive thread. Accept my apologies

In closing, I hope someday your team has a better season. 'Til then, enjoy your baseball cards -S

Last edited by Ladder7; 02-07-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Congrats to the Pats, but you have got to admit, their last two SB wins were absolutely luck of the Irish. The Falcons had 5 or 6 opportunities to put this game to rest. When they were up 28-3 with two minutes to go in the third quarter, they showed Brady on the bench with his head between his knees. Everyone had given up at that point....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 02-07-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Congrats to the Pats, but you have got to admit, their last two SB wins were absolutely luck of the Irish. The Falcons had 5 or 6 opportunities to put this game to rest. When they were up 28-3 with two minutes to go in the third quarter, they showed Brady on the bench with his head between his knees. Everyone had given up at that point....
They sure know how to make luck happen 😊
Old 02-09-2017, 04:05 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
They sure know how to make luck happen ��
They sure do. Under Brady, their first three SB wins were by a combined 11 points. The last two were the Seattle game at the half yard line and the Falcon game....Yes, I would say lady luck has shined on their asses....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 02-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

So a team that wins most of its close games is just lucky?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:12 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Come on Peter, really??
Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
What were the 49er's average win margin?