NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Christie's Photos

What did you guys think of the prices on photos? Any good deal to be had? Some of the panoramas were very cool.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What did you guys think of the prices on photos? Any good deal to be had? Some of the panoramas were very cool.
Steve,

I picked up a handful of keepers. I posted this over on card side but what the heck. I always regretted letting this one go and relieved to have it back. Only two more like this on my list. Thank goodness they didn't promote it being a card image.
I paid way below what I was willing so happy(rarely happens anymore).
RE: large format photos
With a zero guarantee on age, it killed many of them. Horners on mounts... easy. A mounted and trimmed 1917 white Sox photo.. yikes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (62.5 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1049.JPG (66.1 KB, 318 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

and speaking of mounted photos.

Noticed the 1917 Murnane All Star Game went for A LOT less at Christies then an unmounted at RMY:

$6250 (but they don't show shipping and tax, so this could be in the 8K neighborhood)
https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/g...raph-279/45757

$11,236.71
https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=26943
Old 08-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Cheap, cheap, cheap! Bargains galore in that auction, or the market has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. Unfortunately, my cash flow also at a low ebb right now!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
and speaking of mounted photos.

Noticed the 1917 Murnane All Star Game went for A LOT less at Christies then an unmounted at RMY:

$6250 (but they don't show shipping and tax, so this could be in the 8K neighborhood)
https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/g...raph-279/45757

$11,236.71
https://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=26943
RMY does better advertising for that type photo ....

Old 08-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I won both Murnane's, looking forward to comparing them.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Picked this up too for My Babe Ruth card image collection

1927 opening day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1073.jpg (64.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (79.1 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-25-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Scott S

Would love to hear more from the experts regarding the comments about photos on mounts - is this considered a no-no for photos?

Can I assume it's better for a photo to be standalone and just on the photo paper, and not on a cardboard mount?

Thanks for edumacating me on the topic!
Old 08-26-2017, 08:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Only a handful of photos were PSA certified Type 1s. While people may bitch a lot about card grading, I believe Henry Yee does all the PSA photo work. If I am wrong someone will correct me. Which leads me to assume that the PSA/Yee stamp of approval is worth Real money in many sales. Which leads me to wonder why someone would hold these photos for many years and when he goes to sell them not submit to Yee at $50 a pop for the thumbs up.
I know people will respond with stuff like "just enjoy the photo.... why is it all about grading all the time ....." and I get that. But if the difference between a PSA and no PSA cert is literally thousands of dollars, what kind of sane person would leave that on the table.
Some of you guys may think you are smart enough to deal with these photos from a scan and form a strong opinion of Type 1 vs 2. I'm not. Saying it's an "original" photo doesn't tell the buyer a whole lot.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-26-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Agreed Steve, there was a lot of risk in this auction and I think a lot of the prices reflected that. I was the under-bidder on the 1909 Philadelphia team photo with Jackson for example. Would have loved to have it and would have gone much higher with a PSA letter. Being framed and unable to see the back I just couldn't put any more money at risk.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:35 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Would love to hear more from the experts regarding the comments about photos on mounts - is this considered a no-no for photos?

Can I assume it's better for a photo to be standalone and just on the photo paper, and not on a cardboard mount?

Thanks for edumacating me on the topic!
If the mount is original, the mounted photo should be worth more.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:01 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
If the mount is original, the mounted photo should be worth more.
With all due respect, Not all photos on mounts are on original mounts number 1. Number 2, a later printed photo or even a non first gen can always be mounted later as well. To make an a broad statement like this is not true.
Example: Items can be mounted later on vintage mounts(take an old mount from player ding dong and replace it with player popular and Ch Ching!
If you are concerned about whether something will pass psa as part of your investment, for example , then I would not take this all encompassing advice.

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-26-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:12 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default All other things the same

I said original mount, as in the mount is original to the photo. And I was comparing the otherwise same photo, except mounted vs. unmounted.

Last edited by drcy; 08-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I said original mount, as in the mount is original to the photo. And I was comparing the otherwise same photo, except mounted vs. unmounted.
Ok. If one can determine the mount is original to the original photo than we agree!!!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:30 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I think the Cert situation and main decision variable is the same for autos and cards. If you think the sale price increase will be higher than the cost to Cert, it makes sense to do it just before selling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Christies

I had this discussion with Christies and they said that many of these photos originally had PSA/DNA letters attached to them. However, Christies did not want to "advertise" or market these other third party grading companies and decided to run the auction without them. Did it cost money to the consignor ultimately? I think we can all agree on that it did but, Christies chose to do it a certain way and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I had this discussion with Christies and they said that many of these photos originally had PSA/DNA letters attached to them. However, Christies did not want to "advertise" or market these other third party grading companies and decided to run the auction without them. Did it cost money to the consignor ultimately? I think we can all agree on that it did but, Christies chose to do it a certain way and let the chips fall where they may.
I noticed this with one of the items (not a picture) that I won. When I picked it up, it was from the Merkin collection, and had LOA's etc., which were not mentioned in the listing.

I was able to find when the listing had sold at Hake's so I had assumed the authentication was included going in...
Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
One would think there could have been wording used... something like guaranteed to pass third party certification or at least use the words Type 1 photo or type 2 etc. While I'm on my soapbox, I wonder who they had doing estimates? Josh Gibson estimate $600-$800, sold for $10,000 ; Matty and Smokey Joe Bain estimate $1000-$1500 sold for $10,600 etc....etc...
Old 08-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

-Bad estimates

-Bad photos (not being able to enlarge)

-Bad descriptions (not disclosing Type 1's or not, the Gehrig D&M, photos used for cards not mentioned, they didn't even mention Christy Mathewson in the Title of the 1917 Reds Team Photo, etc. etc)

-Bad marketing (never heard anything about it until the post here on NET54 just days before it, had that post not been there even greater prices would have been had)

-Reputation itself of being Christies thus high prices may have turned some away, then the auction itself yields the reverse, low prices on some

-Their moronic shipping charges may have turned some off (yet if you figured it into your bid you were fine, but the initial turnoff of being excessive kept some away I'm sure)

-Bob Freedman being on an airplane when the auction was ending, not getting his bids in always keeps the prices down : )

All combined equaled "some" good prices for the buyers.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 08-27-2017 at 09:41 AM.