NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Mickey Mantle on a 3x5 index card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mickey mantle auto.jpg (34.4 KB, 295 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Mickey Mantle on a 3x5 index card
I love Mickey, Mickey who? Mickey Mantle. oooooooo I love you, Not Yogi Berra? oooooo I love you......

Wonderful vintage Mickey index card. you even have a photo of him signing it..
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Tony Lazerri autograph? Seriously?
+1,,, well done Scott.
could it have been ghost signed by Ty Cobb?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

This tread is just plain stupid and a waste of board space and time.

Lock it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
This tread is just plain stupid and a waste of board space and time.

Lock it.
If Chris doesn't bring this to some larger point that he wants to make, it does need to be locked. We could post fakes all day, but I don't think it's fair to allow continued speculation about where these came from.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Jeff

Assume for a minute that these all have to do with Mr. Nash (I have NO idea but it has been speculated above), I don't think anybody ever tried to impute to him any sort of noble intentions; does it necessarily make everything he says/uncovers/prints false? Or rather does it require a greater deal of scrutiny due to the origin? Or should it be discounted altogether?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Assume for a minute that these all have to do with Mr. Nash (I have NO idea but it has been speculated above), I don't think anybody ever tried to impute to him any sort of noble intentions; does it necessarily make everything he says/uncovers/prints false? Or rather does it require a greater deal of scrutiny due to the origin? Or should it be discounted altogether?
The entirety of his website is more about retribution than it is in recovering stolen items from the NYPL and Hall of Fame and cleaning up the hobby.. Does anyone doubt that if his misdeeds were still unknown that he'd be doing any of this "sleuthing"? However with that said most of what he's putting out there is pretty damning and I don't see too many people refuting any of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
most of what he's putting out there is pretty damning and I don't see too many people refuting any of it.
+1
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Read the following (written by Peter Nash, himself) and you'll understand how great he is.

Amazing how Hamilton was able to get Peter Nash in touch with his dark side, purely through analyzing his handwriting

"But from 1989 to 1995 Nash experienced the dark side of the baseball collectibles field as he discovered, with the help of his friend and world renowned handwriting expert Charles Hamilton, that close to a quarter million dollars worth of materials he’d purchased were either bogus or stolen goods. Some of the stolen items were believed to originate from the collections of the New York Public Library and the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Over the past fifteen years, Nash has conducted his own personal investigation into the hobby, which now constitutes the backdrop for his compelling exposé on the fraud-ridden industry. In particular, Nash has succeeded in unraveling some of the hobby’s greatest mysteries involving massive thefts from the historical baseball collections housed at the New York Public Library, Boston Public Library and National Baseball Hall of Fame. "
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Read the following (written by Peter Nash, himself) and you'll understand how great he is.

Amazing how Hamilton was able to get Peter Nash in touch with his dark side, purely through analyzing his handwriting

"But from 1989 to 1995 Nash experienced the dark side of the baseball collectibles field as he discovered, with the help of his friend and world renowned handwriting expert Charles Hamilton, that close to a quarter million dollars worth of materials he’d purchased were either bogus or stolen goods. Some of the stolen items were believed to originate from the collections of the New York Public Library and the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Over the past fifteen years, Nash has conducted his own personal investigation into the hobby, which now constitutes the backdrop for his compelling exposé on the fraud-ridden industry. In particular, Nash has succeeded in unraveling some of the hobby’s greatest mysteries involving massive thefts from the historical baseball collections housed at the New York Public Library, Boston Public Library and National Baseball Hall of Fame. "
So Nash was a victim and now a hero???

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
So Nash was a victim and now a hero???
According to an unbiased 3rd-party source named 'Nash', yes, apparently so.

However, Haulsofshame eventually does exposes on any questionable element in the hobby, so I'm sure they will be investigating Peter Nash soon. If that occurs, we have a board member who might be able to provide him advice on suing himself.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Jeff

Quote:
According to an unbiased 3rd-party source named 'Nash', yes, apparently so.

However, Haulsofshame eventually does exposes on any questionable element in the hobby, so I'm sure they will be investigating Peter Nash soon. If that occurs, we have a board member who might be able to provide him advice on suing himself.

Scott,
I like where you're headed with this. Funny.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM

I don't know--and I don't give a rat's ass--why Peter does what he does. All I care about is that he does do it.

He has done--and continues to do--quite a bit more than those here who put themselves forth as the hobby's protectors. (Ya'll know who they are.)

Can Peter be full of himself? Yeah. He can. So what?

Keep up the good work, Peter.

And thanks. We all owe you.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Billy Hamilton & Jimmy Collins Autographed Baseball?

Billy Hamilton and Jimmy Collins autographed baseball?

Ball1-F1.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Christopher Williams

If Leon wishes to lock this thread that is fine with me.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
I don't know--and I don't give a rat's ass--why Peter does what he does. All I care about is that he does do it.

He has done--and continues to do--quite a bit more than those here who put themselves forth as the hobby's protectors. (Ya'll know who they are.)

That, Mr. Atkatz, was touching.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
That, Mr. Atkatz, was touching.
Glad you approve!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Can we please delete this thread and keep the spamming to a minimum. How is this any different than the "BrooklynDodgers6969" guy that spams the board with garbage posts??
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Babe Ruth autographed baseball?

Babe Ruth autographed baseball.

BabeRuth-F1.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Richard Simon

Originally Posted by David Atkatz

He has done--and continues to do--quite a bit more than those here who put themselves forth as the hobby's protectors.
----
(David is still on my block list but Chris quoted him).

David - name one time you have stepped up as a hobby protector, other than posting here, which hardly earns anyone a title as hobby protector.
There are several people here who have stepped up and contacted auctioneers about bad items. There are people here who have contacted law enforcement agencies. Have you done any of that? I would wager that you have done nothing. If I am wrong, then I apologize. Tell us David, have you done anything like that? If you have, you have never posted it here.
And I guarantee you that Chris and a few others here have done major, major work as hobby protectors, with law enforcement, and not just posts on a forum. And I believe though there is discontent about this thread, that the board knows that Chris has done a lot for the hobby.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

I like reading his stuff too. It's useful for the hobby. I don't care if it's self serving, at least he's putting himself out there.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post

He has done--and continues to do--quite a bit more than those here who put themselves forth as the hobby's protectors.
----

David - name one time you have stepped up as a hobby protector, other than posting here, which hardly earns anyone a title as hobby protector.
There are several people here who have stepped up and contacted auctioneers about bad items. There are people here who have contacted law enforcement agencies. Have you done any of that? I would wager that you have done nothing. If I am wrong, then I apologize. Tell us David, have you done anything like that?
And I guarantee you that Chris and a few others here have done major, major work as hobby protectors, with law enforcement, and not just posts on a forum. And I believe though there is discontent about this thread, that the board knows that Chris has done a lot for the hobby.
Wow, those were my thoughts exactly, Richard.

There has been stuff going on for years that myself and two others cannot write or talk about yet. Aside from that, we have done a tremendous amount of good that no one ever hears or reads about.

Our knees don't shake and our hands don't tremble at the slightest hint of a threat or intimidation.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post

----

There are several people here who have stepped up and contacted auctioneers about bad items. There are people here who have contacted law enforcement agencies. Have you done any of that? I would wager that you have done nothing. If I am wrong, then I apologize. Tell us David, have you done anything like that? If you have, you have never posted it here.
I NEVER meant myself, Richard. I have never made any claim to such a thing.

Perhaps you should actually read what I wrote. I certainly was not giving much credit to the self-proclaimed heroes. (yourself included.)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Richard Simon

Sorry David, you are on block, your blather is not being read by me.
But I am sure it is critical of people who are active in the fight against crime in the hobby.
Despite attempts at intimidation, despite verbal and written threats, the fight continues and Chris is at the forefront of it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Wow, those were my thoughts exactly, Richard.

There has been stuff going on for years that myself and two others cannot write or talk about yet. Aside from that, we have done a tremendous amount of good that no one ever hears or reads about.

Our knees don't shake and our hands don't tremble at the slightest hint of a threat or intimidation.
Nope. They certainly don't tremble. You wouldn't be able to pat yourself on the back so grandly if they did!

(Now, let's hear again, how I stopped posting after receiving a lawyer's letter. It never happened, but it does make for a good post. And it is all you've got--even if it's not true.)

PS: LOVE the "cannot write or talk about it" stuff. Keep it up!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Richard Simon

I am so honored, not reading the posts of someone who apparently loves to read mine. He posts immediately after I do, so I assume I am being read by David.
Time to watch the rest of the Rangers game and then Justified. I am done for the nite. Have fun guys.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM

It's true, Richard! I hang on your every word. (And I LOVE your creative use of emoticons!)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

"and then Justified."

Best friggin' show on TV!!!!

Ken
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

So can we just make this the "dumpster" thread...trash in, trash out...

Oh wow, IU just lost again...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Last edited by jgmp123; 02-26-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Chuck Tapia

I appreciate all of you.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I love the haulsofshame website and am glad that he is doing the work that he is, but I think that Nash's history in this hobby does make his assertions subject to a greater deal of scrutiny. When Richard posted in the thread about the Yankees ball that he had spoken to a number of individuals who didn't like the ball, I believed him because he has a stellar reputation and doesn't appear driven by an agenda. I am much less prone to believe much of what is said by the anonymous "experts" quoted by Nash. He has an agenda and it is skewing his journalism. I happily read what he writes with that in mind.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I love the haulsofshame website and am glad that he is doing the work that he is, but I think that Nash's history in this hobby does make his assertions subject to a greater deal of scrutiny. When Richard posted in the thread about the Yankees ball that he had spoken to a number of individuals who didn't like the ball, I believed him because he has a stellar reputation and doesn't appear driven by an agenda. I am much less prone to believe much of what is said by the anonymous "experts" quoted by Nash. He has an agenda and it is skewing his journalism. I happily read what he writes with that in mind.
well said...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

This thread is frustrating, but only because I know Chris is up to something, and like the guy who doesn't want to wait all night to see if he won something in Legendary, I want to know what Chris is up to ..... NOW!

But more importantly - why do so many people here like 'Justified'? I thought it sucked. Maybe it's because I only watched two episodes?

Currently watching 'Life' and 'Touch' - enjoying both quite a bit.

(I want to post another bad autograph, but I can't find any worse than that green Lazzeri). Here it is again, since I for one, can't get enough ugly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf-2 copy.jpg (5.0 KB, 267 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Isn't Peter Nash paying off a nearly 7 figure civil settlement for creating and consigning fraudulent 19th century baseball memorabilia? That makes it hard for me to believe anything he says on his born-again website.
JimB
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Mr. Atkatz, what is your opinion of the autograph items I have posted here?

Do you believe they are authentic or not?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Mr. Atkatz, what is your opinion of the autograph items I have posted here?

Do you believe they are authentic or not?
I couldn't care less about the autographs you have presented here.

Don't try to use me to help you make your point. If these autographs have something to do with Nash, cut the drama, quit being a diva, and say so.

But it doesn't matter to me either way. (Just like Shelly's past no longer matters.) I appreciate what he does now.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Nope. They certainly don't tremble. You wouldn't be able to pat yourself on the back so grandly if they did!

(Now, let's hear again, how I stopped posting after receiving a lawyer's letter. It never happened, but it does make for a good post. And it is all you've got--even if it's not true.)

PS: LOVE the "cannot write or talk about it" stuff. Keep it up!
Below is a gift I received from a good friend for Christmas.

It is a copy of the book "Operation Bullpen." It's a gift I will cherish forever.

Inside on the first page of the book is a note addressed to me from Tim. Yes, that Tim.

TimF.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-26-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
I couldn't care less about the autographs you have presented here.

Don't try to use me to help you make your point. If these autographs have something to do with Nash, cut the drama, quit being a diva, and say so.

But it doesn't matter to me either way. (Just like Shelly's past no longer matters.) I appreciate what he does now.
+1. We all know Shelly's past and I'm pretty sure nearly everyone here has been helped in some way by Shelly and his knowledge of the hobby.
Just because someone has made a mistake, doesn't mean they aren't still able to add value. Nash adds a great deal of value to this hobby, just as Shelly does.

I will say thank you Shelly for what you bring to the hobby. You had the choice to turn your back and walk away, but you stuck around and am now helping some of the "young guys" like myself.

James

Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Finally....the pimple is about to burst
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Finally....the pimple is about to burst
LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

James, I want to thank you for what you said. I promised a lot of people that I would not even think of replying to anything that piece of work said. I do again have to reply. If there is a human on this site thinks what he said about me is fact. I will sell you every autograph that Chris posted plus the Ruth ball{which I thought was authentic until I saw the shakes}
Quote, from the phd.

Just read what he said in the last 48 hours. You can take what he says from now on.

Not a chance in hell.

Last edited by shelly; 02-26-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 PM

You're quite correct, Shelly. "That piece of work" was referring to Peter. I appreciate what Peter does now.

(As far as I can discern, except for pointing out the occasional Mantle forgery--and who better to know one than a former dealer in Mantle forgeries?--you perform no useful service, at all.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Below is a gift I received from a good friend for Christmas.

It is a copy of the book "Operation Bullpen." It's a gift I will cherish forever.

Inside on the first page of the book is a note addressed to me from Tim. Yes, that Tim.

Attachment 89478
Very cool for certain.
Way to go Chris.
--
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
You're quite correct, Shelly. "That piece of work" was referring to Peter. I appreciate what Peter does now.

(As far as I can discern, except for pointing out the occasional Mantle forgery--and who better to know one than a former dealer in Mantle forgeries?--you perform no useful service, at all.)
He's a contributor on this site, much like you and I David. The hobby does need him here and pointing out the endless Mantle forgeries. That's were many knumbskulls start their autograph hobby. They quickly find it's a cess pool out there and they either stay or go. I certainly don't jump in much and sell much more than I buy these days. So many forgeries, so little time.

I agree that we need to get to the punchline of this thread. I don't know any of these signatures so I can't comment on them.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Scott

This has gone beyond entertainment. Chris has shown a bunch of really lousy looking "autographs". But, this stringing it out and then having Shelly and David in the middle of it is tiring. Just like Travis on his PSA and JSA rants.

I love the knowledge I gain on here, but in the end, this is sounding like the old wrestling board I used to be a member of. Personal attacks and grudges.

Guys, your knowledge is so welcome, but this stuff...should be taken elsewhere. JMWO

Scott Roberts
Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
This has gone beyond entertainment. Chris has shown a bunch of really lousy looking "autographs". But, this stringing it out and then having Shelly and David in the middle of it is tiring. Just like Travis on his PSA and JSA rants.

I love the knowledge I gain on here, but in the end, this is sounding like the old wrestling board I used to be a member of. Personal attacks and grudges.

Guys, your knowledge is so welcome, but this stuff...should be taken elsewhere. JMWO

Scott Roberts
+1
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

I like cheese. I love root beer. I also like to walk barefoot in the sand on warm sunny days. I don't like liver and onions very much .... but I will eat it if I have to. I like to fish, but I do not hunt. I enjoy being outdoors, but only in nice weather.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

The pimple grows...

Someone get a pin
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Steve, just in case I have a great liver and onion recipe.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Steve, just in case I have a great liver and onion recipe.
Put some crispy bacon with it, make it well done and send it on up to me here in CT. I LOVE LIVER AND ONIONS and Real Shoeless Joe signatures
Closed Thread