NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Unbellievable -- sub 2 hour marathon

It finally happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/3957053002/

It's a bit tainted (and unofficial) because Kipchoge had pacemakers for the entire route, but even so, an amazing accomplishment, pushing the limits of human performance.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-12-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't quite understand how having pacemakers is such an advantage. I had to click on the link to find out they weren't necessary because of a heart condition. I couldn't run 1 mile in 4:35. 26 in a row at that pace is hard to imagine. Very impressive.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't quite understand how having pacemakers is such an advantage. I had to click on the link to find out they weren't necessary because of a heart condition. I couldn't run 1 mile in 4:35. 26 in a row at that pace is hard to imagine. Very impressive.
Where did you see that the pacers weren't necessary? I looked at the linked article and 4-5 others and that wasn't mentioned.

Pacers are more effective mentally than physically. There's some benefit from drafting, but at running speed it's not a huge benefit. Mentally, the pacers keep a runner from getting distracted and falling behind the pace.
The car projecting a line where the goal would be is a nice touch.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Where did you see that the pacers weren't necessary? I looked at the linked article and 4-5 others and that wasn't mentioned.

Pacers are more effective mentally than physically. There's some benefit from drafting, but at running speed it's not a huge benefit. Mentally, the pacers keep a runner from getting distracted and falling behind the pace.
Without the pacers, running in front alone, I think it just as likely he would have gone too FAST and burned out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

In this context a pacemaker isn't as necessary as in the only other in which I have heard that term used. For someone with heart problems.

I've never run a marathon so I had no idea what they were used for in a race. I do now.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The pacer helps the runner maintain the desired speed over a certain distance. They 'set the pace' and are usually world class runners. They were used by Roger Bannister when he ran the first sub 4 minute mile. They were Chris Chattaway and Chris Brasher. If you watch any of the IAAF Diamond League events you will see pacers in many of the 5,000 and 10,000 races. They are called 'rabbits' as they take the lead at a fast pace and drop out after a few laps. There is not really any drafting as they are not going fast enough. This is not cycling or auto racing.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 10-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Ben North

That is crazy.

About 35 yrs ago I trained with a pro marathon runner and the first few times out he about killed me. Their pace was unbelievably fast even back then.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

In my late teens, I ran a marathon in just under THREE hours, by sheer force of will. The will was not so much in the event itself, but in the relentless training necessary to develop the physical and mental fitness to run that long and that far.

That pace, of course, is a jog compared to what the elite runners can do. When I was running, the world record of 2:08 was held by Derek Clayton of Australia, who said he accomplished it by training "on the edge of death." And many people were skeptical of his time, because the second fastest time was significantly slower.

For a man to now run under 2 hours is, to me, miraculous, pacers or not. And it looks like a woman just obliterated the marathon record too.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-14-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

To me even good High school runners are very fast. Or NFL linemen for that matter....

Dad ran track in HS and college, and was pretty good for the 1950's
I did cross country. Although my times were in the "hurry up Birmingham we're already on the bus" range. (20:09 for 2.4 miles)

One of our guys was pretty fast, made the state meet every year. He was nice and at times pretty funny. He did something crazy like 5 miles before school and was under 5 minutes for a mile (Literally on the bus when I finished!)
We had a basket ball game with the big rival school, our team won and as many did in the late 70's the kids from the losing school wanted a fight.
What he told me the following Monday at practice was a riot. (I wasn't at the game) Some singled him out and wanted to fight, being a track guy he ran. He just didn't run all that fast.. And since the kid was chasing for some distance he'd slow down and taunt him. The pick up the pace. Apparently he ran the kid for close to three miles until he collapsed. That's when he walked over and calmly said "ok I'll fight you now" Dragged him out of the middle of the street and left.
Don't mess with the distance runners....
Old 10-24-2019, 03:39 AM
Bill Gregory

That's a jaw dropping accomplishment.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

With pacers and a situation set up like this guy had, in any marathon I've ever run, my time would have been better.

Incredible accomplishment, but not the marathon world record for very good reasons.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Ryan Inns

I am a long distance trail runner and respect what he did as it was an incredible athletic accomplishment, however, having his pacers form a Flying V for the entire duration is a significant advantage. Would be incredible to see a sub 2-hour marathon in a competitive race, not an exhibition. Someone will come along and get it done at some point. After all, records are meant to be broken.