NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Default Ted Williams autograph???

I normally do not collect autographs unless I get them in person. However, I have made a few exceptions. This is one of the exceptions that I made in the mid 1980's. The articles in this Life magazine are a cool time capsule. That being said, I was looking for an opinion from the knowledgeable people on this forum about the Williams autograph.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinions.

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JH.jpg (73.6 KB, 435 views)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
James Wymer

I like it, but I am not one of the knowledgeable ones.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Jim M.arinari

No good. I only got to the first letter. And the 3rd letter is missing sumptin. And I usually have trouble with Teddy!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

It's perfectly good signature.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss View Post
It's perfectly good signature.
Agreed. Moreover, if this was a fake, I doubt Ted Williams forgeries of this quality existed in the 80s. At the time it was probably a $20 or less signature.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

I just found this one and was comparing it to yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle.jpg (35.0 KB, 387 views)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The one with the Mantle is not even close to the other Williams. One is really nice the other is a piece of garbage. I choose number one.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
I just found this one and was comparing it to yours.
This is a well known forgery of both mantle and williams
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Smile

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. This is one of the reasons I love this forum!!! I knew that I was taking a chance when I bought this, but couldn't pass up the magazine. I know my other autographs are legitimate as I got them in person.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Agreed. Moreover, if this was a fake, I doubt Ted Williams forgeries of this quality existed in the 80s. At the time it was probably a $20 or less signature.
Those were the days!! I remember going to a regional show and paying $36 for four Joe Dimaggio autographs. I even got to shake hands with the Yankee Clipper! Good times!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Well. apparently I'm wrong! I guess I still have trouble with Teddy. I didn't like (what looked to me) as a slowly drawn start to the 'e' and the 'i'. Also, I've never seen an incomplete 'd' like that.

I guess it's better to pass on some authentics that I'm not sure of than let some junk through. I'm like a super aggressive spam filter. Even Mom sometimes gets tossed.

Last edited by Deertick; 12-30-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Well. apparently I'm wrong! I guess I still have trouble with Teddy. I didn't like (what looked to me) as a slowly drawn start to the 'e' and the 'i'. Also, I've never seen an incomplete 'd' like that.

I guess it's better to pass on some authentics that I'm not sure of than let some junk through. I'm like a super aggressive spam filter. Even Mom sometimes gets tossed.
I am by no means an expert, but for me, the giveaway in an authentic Williams is the 'd' to 'W' and the size of the letters in the last name.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Robert Williams

Odd...it looks good to me, although the 'd' in Ted looks off......
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Default JimStinson

Something to keep in mind is that those magazines were big and it looks like he signed LARGE, would account for the variables....My 2 cents
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Something to keep in mind is that those magazines were big and it looks like he signed LARGE, would account for the variables....My 2 cents
Interesting. I am not trying to influence anyone's opinion as I am not 100% certain, but I never thought of a variance based on the size of the signature. I measured parts of the signature. The "T" is 1 1/2 inches (from the top to the loop that goes into the "e". The "W" is roughly an inch. The questionable "D" is roughly a half an inch. From top to bottom, the Life magazine is 14 inches and it is 10 1/2 inches wide.

I very much appreciate everyone's input!

Ben
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Big Ben, check these out

230903729445 Item number:

Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM

Default JimStinson

Try this exercise as an example of variance ...Use your own signature. Write it standing up, sitting down, while you are walking, write it using different pens, sign it small and large. Write it when you are ticked off and when you are happy, write it after a couple of beers, Then compare them... are they all exactly the same ??
Now make it MORE interesting compare those signatures of yours to something you signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago. None of them will be exactly the same all of the time.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Big Ben, check these out

230903729445 Item number:

Interesting! Leaving my example out of this, the "T's" in those examples look totally different. At least to this untrained eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Try this exercise as an example of variance ...Use your own signature. Write it standing up, sitting down, while you are walking, write it using different pens, sign it small and large. Write it when you are ticked off and when you are happy, write it after a couple of beers, Then compare them... are they all exactly the same ??
Now make it MORE interesting compare those signatures of yours to something you signed 5 years ago, 10 years ago. None of them will be exactly the same all of the time.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For what it's worth when I write my signature it seems to come out differently quite often. I am sure it has changed over time.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Thought I would resurrect this thread that I started a while ago. I decided to put my magazine through the third party grading process and I received the results today. Genuine from JSA!! I had to crop the scan to fit in this thread. Obviously, I am very pleased, and it also adds to the fond memories of my hobby experiences in the mid 1980's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JH.jpg (78.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

It feels good to know that you have people on this site that know what they are doing. Nice piece.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
It feels good to know that you have people on this site that know what they are doing. Nice piece.
Thanks. That is one of the reasons I registered on this site. I have been able to pick up some really good tips from great people!