NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Mark

Default New Member Introduction

I've collected cards off and on since childhood (I'm almost 30). I recently got back into the prospect-chasing game that so many take a part in these days and I randomly saw a vintage card on eBay that piqued my interest. I came across this site after a Google search and have been obsessively pouring over the topics and eye candy spread throughout the forum for the past week or so.

It's hard to explain why these cards interest me in a different way than modern products. Maybe it's the manufactured scarcity of the refractors and other serial-numbered items that has me frustrated. There is something pure about vintage cards that has me coveting them.

I decided my first project will be to acquire the rookie cards for all players whose number has been retired by the White Sox (my favorite team). I've had a blast just figuring out what the actual card for each player is and how much they might cost.

One particular card that I need is the 1924 Diaz Cigarettes Ted Lyons, which is extremely rare. How does one go about locating a card like this? Obviously, I have followed the eBay search and will occasionally Google it. Am I missing something obvious here? Do I need to ask card shops and dealers? Or do I just simply wait until one surfaces?

I appreciate any advice you might provide and for all of the information I've picked up from you all over the last week.

Last edited by Stoffer2; 12-12-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Larry More.y

Welcome, good luck with your quest!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Our B/S/T areas are pretty good for picking up cards.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Al Richter

Default 1924

Stoffer-- welcome. If you have not done so you might also make an introduction on the main pre war board. There are a lot of guys over there with extensive knowledge of pre war cards like the one you are looking for. While some visit in post war, not all do
Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Auctions

Hey, welcome. You can use services like bid-brain.com to help find this item at auction houses. They track inventory coming up for sale at a dozen auction houses. The owner is a fellow N54'er and posts on the pre-War side.

Z
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Welcome to the board!

On a card like that I would advise monitoring the large major auction house offerings and reaching out to other collectors as much as possible. If I remember correctly one of the guys that is building a HOF rookie card collection on the pre-war side acquired an example of that card about a year ago.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Duane Clark

Welcome aboard. Lots of great people here.

Duane
Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Welcome!

Nice to see new members; welcome...
Old 12-19-2015, 12:34 AM

Welcome.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Jack Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffer2 View Post
One particular card that I need is the 1924 Diaz Cigarettes Ted Lyons, which is extremely rare. How does one go about locating a card like this? Obviously, I have followed the eBay search and will occasionally Google it. Am I missing something obvious here? Do I need to ask card shops and dealers? Or do I just simply wait until one surfaces?
Lyons is one of the easier Hall of Famers to get as there are a few of him floating around (Pop report isn't complete on this one, I know there are at least 3 and probably 4) Pop report of 3 doesn't sound good but on a Diaz, that's pretty high.

With Diaz it's just keep checking auctions and ebay till they show. There was a massive dump a couple of years ago that put quite a few cards into the population, before that we weren't even sure if a 2nd complete set could exist. (There's a mysterious complete set that sold in '96 through Christies I've never gotten any additional info on)

Good luck finding one, Lyons is hard and expensive but he's not as rare as Ruffing

Welcome to the board
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Welcome to the forums Stoffer! It's good to have another White Sox fan and collector on board!

Good luck finding a Diaz Cigarettes Lyons. One did make its way onto eBay over a year ago in a large group that was being sold off individually by a person from Florida. It had a worm hole in the card right through his neck, and it still went for over $1K in ungraded condition (I got a Charles Robertson from that group for my White Sox pre-war type set that I'm putting together).

As others have said, your best bet to find a Diaz Lyons would most likely be in one of the many online auction sites that are available.

Hope that you enjoy your time here!