NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Eric Thames

If he's clean this Is great beyond belief. New animal beast HR guy
appears out of no where. Will be so great. Passed 2 drug tests now.
If he is clean sucks that he's had to deal with the rumors and other bs.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hope he is clean...kind of ironic that he's hitting in front of Braun.

This reminds me of Cecil Fielder's return from Japan.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-26-2017, 03:25 AM
Jeff

He was useless garbage when he played for the Jays, doesn't even look the same.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

He was tested again last night. So you can make that three drug tests.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Jason Wells

He absolutely killed it in KBO. I know its not the MLB but a .381 42-47-40-140 season looks pretty impressive on any stat sheet. Baseball needs more great sluggers.

Last edited by Jason; 04-26-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Saw a few photos from years ago -- he was always muscled to the hilt. Is he ripped more now than before? Not entirely clear.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I saw an interview with him. He said he learned how to hit breaking pitches and off-speed stuff for power in Korea. He could always catch-up to a fastball in the MLB, but was like Jobu with the breaking stuff. Guess he had to learn patience in Korea since they emphasize breaking/off-speed over power pitching.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM

Sometimes it just takes the right coach to straighten a guy out. Look at Ivan Nova since he went to the Pirates. He's pitched more complete games for them than he has issued walks.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
He absolutely killed it in KBO. I know its not the MLB but a .381 42-47-40-140 season looks pretty impressive on any stat sheet. Baseball needs more great sluggers.

42-47-40? please translate.

traditional stat lineup would be:

AVG 2B 3B HR RBI

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post

Yup. Just like Cecil

Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've seen the "doesn't even look the same" comment non stop. Probably from people who haven't seen him before.

Here are the before (left) and after (right) pics.

I'd say the arms are essentially the same size, the chest might be smaller on the left than it is today, and the head only looks massive today because of the huge beard (and maybe the tilt of the cap).

Has he gotten bigger? Possibly. But the idea that he looks dramatically unrecognizably different from before is uninformed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thames.jpg (69.2 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
42-47-40? please translate.

traditional stat lineup would be:

AVG 2B 3B HR RBI

Sorry

.381 Avg
42 2B
47 HR
140 RBI
40 SB
Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Dave

He killed it in the minors before going to Korea. Just never quite made the splash in the majors. Baseball is littered with late bloomers, all throughout it's history.

...and this is just a 20 game sample size. He'll obviously come back down to earth at some point.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

He does look like bonds in the box especially with that elbow pad but hey if he passes all the drug testing then let him play .
Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
He killed it in the minors before going to Korea. Just never quite made the splash in the majors. Baseball is littered with late bloomers, all throughout it's history.

...and this is just a 20 game sample size. He'll obviously come back down to earth at some point.
Yep, Josh Donaldson is one.

I assume, if he keeps up this pace, he will be tested as much as Bautista was.

Not off the charts but not too bad, imo.
http://m.mlb.com/player/519346/eric-thames
Old 04-27-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've seen the "doesn't even look the same" comment non stop. Probably from people who haven't seen him before.

I'd say the arms are essentially the same size, the chest might be smaller on the left than it is today, and the head only looks massive today because of the huge beard (and maybe the tilt of the cap).

Has he gotten bigger? Possibly. But the idea that he looks dramatically unrecognizably different from before is uninformed.

Looks like a Japanese Power Tat to me.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Okay...with new of an unbelievable FOURTH 'Random' drug test, it is officially reached Witch Hunt status!

Why hasn't the Players' Union stepped in?

They need to assume that Ryan Braun may be as 'random' as they guy he hits behind.

I hate it when that arrogant bastard holds up his right arm to the umpire until he is absolutely prepared for the next pitch...Jeter used to do that a lot. Hated it then - hate in now.

Milwaukee's fan base shows how desperate they are when they forgave (and evidently forgot) his blatant and over-the-tops lies a few years ago.

Again, which of HIS stats are real and which are tainted?

-

Old 04-29-2017, 11:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

if he keeps hitting lefties, i'd take ryan braun to the dodgers. as long as he doesn't hit women, abuse animals, and drive drunk...i'm cool with him roiding it up to help the team wins. if you believe baseball is a level-playing field for everyone then keep on believing that.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Funny this guy has been tested three times in a month. Has anyone thought of a possible test for Judge on the Yankees, hitting the ball 475 feet every other night. Probably not.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Well the tests I assume are motivated by his past failures at the MLB level and his sudden success after spending time overseas. Foreign players test positive all the time after spending time overseas because of different ingredients in different supplements. I would think that's the impetus for his frequent testing.

Judge doesn't really share any similarities there.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Except Judge is hitting at the major league level at a level he was never close to in this minors.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Bill Gregory

We haven't forgotten anything. The guy used a substance to try and heal a bum calf muscle that had plagued him almost his entire MVP season. Was it the same as taking a steroid to make him bigger and stronger like Bonds? Hell, no. Was it still wrong that he did it? Hell, yes. But, the guy paid his due to the game, and made amends with the collector. What f#&^g more do you want?

And please don't make idiotic comments about an entire fan base, the overwhelming majority of which you'e never met, let alone spoken to. That really chaps my hide.

As for Braun, he's a fantastic hitter. He's about as sound a hitter, mechanically, as there is in the game today. You don't play 11 seasons, and have a .304 career average, an MVP, an MVP runner up, and another MVP third place finish, and five career Silver Sluggers, unless you're an incredible talent. I could shoot steroids every day of the week, and I wouldn't hit .200 in the bigs.

Braun screwed up, but to crap all over his entire career because of one mistake is ridiculous. You need to let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Okay...with new of an unbelievable FOURTH 'Random' drug test, it is officially reached Witch Hunt status!

Why hasn't the Players' Union stepped in?

They need to assume that Ryan Braun may be as 'random' as they guy he hits behind.

I hate it when that arrogant bastard holds up his right arm to the umpire until he is absolutely prepared for the next pitch...Jeter used to do that a lot. Hated it then - hate in now.

Milwaukee's fan base shows how desperate they are when they forgave (and evidently forgot) his blatant and over-the-tops lies a few years ago.

Again, which of HIS stats are real and which are tainted?

-

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Braun got on his high horse and lied to the fans and his fellow players for more than a year about what he did. Deplorable. I agree to disagree.

I'd also suggest that if a player from the Dominican Republic or Cuba did this you wouldn't find a single person saying "hey, he's a great guy . . . give him a break." Would love to see the forgiving response Puig would get if he was ever busted.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-05-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:17 AM

I agree with some of your sentiment but we shouldn't forget how callous Braun was to the sample collector he more or less called a liar, and maybe even insinuated had tampered with his sample rather than come clean about what he did.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Hope you are doing well. A Seattle sportswriter recently interviewed Kyle Seager, and Kyle agreed with your assessment that Thames was hugely muscular then as well.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hope you are doing well. A Seattle sportswriter recently interviewed Kyle Seager, and Kyle agreed with your assessment that Thames was hugely muscular then as well.
You too. Will check out your ebay store again. It's been a while. Such a cool variety of stuff.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Bill Gregory

Braun acted on the advice of counsel, whose job it is to vigorously defend their client. The collector, Dino Laurenzi Jr., did not properly maintain the sample, per the mandate established by the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Laurenzi Jr. was required to drop the sample at an approved shipping facility within a certain amount of time after its collection. Instead, he took it home, and it sat in his basement, on a counter top in a Tupperware container, not a refrigerator, until the following Monday afternoon. There were several Fed Ex locations between his home, and Miller Park (including, from memory, two locations that were open 24 hours).

Braun, in his statement, did not accuse the collector of wrongdoing. What he did say that an investigation by is legal team learned things about the collector, how the sample was stored by the collector, and how easy it would be to tamper with the sample if the custodian of the sample were so inclined to do so. There is a difference, and it may be a subtle one, but this is a common defense tactic, to create doubt, not in court this time, but in public opinion. And remember, Braun won his hearing because procedure was not followed. So, nothing he said was inaccurate. He did not slander the collector. Had Laurenzi, Jr done his job per his mandate, Braun could have never raised the issue.

Ultimately, Braun shouldn't have said some of the things he did, and he definitely shouldn't have used the prohibited substances. I don't defend his actions. I am merely providing some perspective. The guy is not the dirtbag some are trying to make him out to be. He's done a hell of a lot of charity work in Wisconsin, both before and after the test results became public. Let us not forget that we should have never even have known about the failed test, and the winning appeal, because the whole process is supposed to be confidential. MLB dropped the ball somewhere along the line in allowing the information to be leaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I agree with some of your sentiment but we shouldn't forget how callous Braun was to the sample collector he more or less called a liar, and maybe even insinuated had tampered with his sample rather than come clean about what he did.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Braun is a grade a jerk who deserves continuous negative comments. He also deserves to continue his fine career. I'm Fine with Thames, good for him.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 05-06-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Braun defenders always get hung up on the chain of custody thing but the fact remains that it didn't matter what the collector did with the sample. Braun admitted that he used.

Last edited by packs; 05-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Braun acted on the advice of counsel, whose job it is to vigorously defend their client. The collector, Dino Laurenzi Jr., did not properly maintain the sample, per the mandate established by the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Laurenzi Jr. was required to drop the sample at an approved shipping facility within a certain amount of time after its collection. Instead, he took it home, and it sat in his basement, on a counter top in a Tupperware container, not a refrigerator, until the following Monday afternoon. There were several Fed Ex locations between his home, and Miller Park (including, from memory, two locations that were open 24 hours).

Braun, in his statement, did not accuse the collector of wrongdoing. What he did say that an investigation by is legal team learned things about the collector, how the sample was stored by the collector, and how easy it would be to tamper with the sample if the custodian of the sample were so inclined to do so. There is a difference, and it may be a subtle one, but this is a common defense tactic, to create doubt, not in court this time, but in public opinion. And remember, Braun won his hearing because procedure was not followed. So, nothing he said was inaccurate. He did not slander the collector. Had Laurenzi, Jr done his job per his mandate, Braun could have never raised the issue.

Ultimately, Braun shouldn't have said some of the things he did, and he definitely shouldn't have used the prohibited substances. I don't defend his actions. I am merely providing some perspective. The guy is not the dirtbag some are trying to make him out to be. He's done a hell of a lot of charity work in Wisconsin, both before and after the test results became public. Let us not forget that we should have never even have known about the failed test, and the winning appeal, because the whole process is supposed to be confidential. MLB dropped the ball somewhere along the line in allowing the information to be leaked.
In my 30 year legal career, not once have I ever seen advice of counsel to be "go out there and keep lying. Keep it up." Advice of counsel is shut up and say nothing.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
You too. Will check out your ebay store again. It's been a while. Such a cool variety of stuff.
Thank you. I dropped the business last Fall, but will leave the store up until it no longer makes sense.