NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default HELP NEEDED: Ty Cobb Auto Real/Fake? Thoughts?

Hi fellas,

It has been awhile since I have posted... I just recently started collecting again and I stumbled across a few autographs. I don't normally buy autographs but this Ty Cobb auto really intrigued me at this estate sale.

Before I pull the trigger, may I ask for some opinions in regards to its authenticity? I have bought fake autographs in the past before and it hurt... It still hurts, but time does heal all wounds eventually.

So again, please write any opinions/concerns you may have!

Thank you and I appreciate your help,

Colby

P.S. Please let me know if this is the appropriate thread to be posting about this type of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb (1).jpg (66.9 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb (2).jpg (69.0 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb (3).jpg (66.4 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb (4).jpg (65.3 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by Tanman7baseball; 03-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Michael I.

I would pass for sure on that one!!!! The whole thing just does not look right at all.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
I would pass for sure on that one!!!! The whole thing just does not look right at all.
Really? Bummer... I thought it might have been a nice little find. Oh well.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Michael I.

It just looks off but let some others chime in with their thoughts as well.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default I'm a gambling man...

Well I am going to go back to the estate sale on Tuesday and probably buy it. I will take the gamble I suppose. But if anyone has any serious objections, then please let me know!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Jeff P0tter

You may get a lot of casual replies here because a lot of people combat or like to opine when not really advanced knowledge...but that is not a Cobb autograph you would want to buy. DO NOT GO TO AN ESTATE SALE AND BUY IT. I do not believe it is authentic and it will not pass TPA in my opinion. Tons of things wrong with it.

Last edited by ATP; 03-11-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
You may get a lot of casual replies here because a lot of people combat or like to opine when not really advanced knowledge...but that is not a Cobb autograph you would want to buy. DO NOT GO TO AN ESTATE SALE AND BUY IT. I do not believe it is authentic and it will not pass TPA in my opinion. Tons of things wrong with it.
Sorry if my knowledge is not as "advanced" as yours but even without being a self proclaimed expert as yourself, my eyes could spot that this was not a good Cobb autograph. Please feel free to keep us without the "advanced knowledge" in our place.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Default Take It Easy Fellas...

I respect all of your opinions. I'm not trying to say one opinion is better than another. I was just curious to what everyone's thoughts were. I am no expert in autographs.

So far, there has been a split between positive/negative opinions in regards to the Cobb's authenticity. I truly appreciate everyone's help.

For future reference, can someone tell me what is specifically wrong with the Cobb autograph?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Michael I.

There has been no "split" we all agree its not a authentic Cobb.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Jeff P0tter

I am not even certain that it's signed and may be a reproduction of some kind, it's too hard to tell from the image. Autograph itself aside, the look of the ink doesn't fit with the look/condition of the photo. If you are specifically looking for a Cobb autograph, keep your eyes out here on Net54 for one. Someone typically has one to sell at least once a month or so and there are a lot of good, trusted sellers here.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Kevin

Tht Cobb is not authentic, he whole signature exhibits shakiness and heavy pressure, and the letter formations aren't right their. Plenty of good Cobb pieces out there, and as others have said estate sales are very shaky and aren't really a great place to buy autos unless it's verified that they had as large collection.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Sorry if my knowledge is not as "advanced" as yours but even without being a self proclaimed expert as yourself, my eyes could spot that this was not a good Cobb autograph. Please feel free to keep us without the "advanced knowledge" in our place.

I have no idea if the earlier comment was aimed at you, and it's not my place to comment on the tone, but I think the sentiment is reasonable.

There are people who will base a purchase on the feedback they get here (whether that is advisable or reasonable is a separate discussion) and there are many people who are willing to post their "best guess" without really being all that familiar with identifying fakes. This can result in burying the opinions of true experts who really know what they are looking at among opinions that are not really worth all that much...
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Michael I.

And I agree that people do sometimes base their purchases on the opinions given here. That has always been my biggest reason for not chiming in because I don't want to be that reason. But having been a collector for around 40 years now I have picked up on a lot of the ins and outs of things and was reasonably confident with all the things wrong with that Cobb I could give an opinion. Ive collected several Cobb autographs over the years and have spent a great deal of time familiarizing myself with his autograph so I can make wise purchases without getting burned so to speak. I will never claim to be the expert some here are that is for sure to me its a hobby to some here it is how the make their living.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
And I agree that people do sometimes base their purchases on the opinions given here. That has always been my biggest reason for not chiming in because I don't want to be that reason. But having been a collector for around 40 years now I have picked up on a lot of the ins and outs of things and was reasonably confident with all the things wrong with that Cobb I could give an opinion. Ive collected several Cobb autographs over the years and have spent a great deal of time familiarizing myself with his autograph so I can make wise purchases without getting burned so to speak. I will never claim to be the expert some here are that is for sure to me its a hobby to some here it is how the make their living.
We are the same on this. I don't know the person who commented but my gut feeling is that he was referring to the type of people who just throw out their opinions without really knowing much of anything.

Best wishes!

Tags
autograph, cubs, signed, ty cobb