NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-09-2015, 03:40 PM
pariah1107

Default Anything & Everything BBQ!

I BBQ every weekend, with an emphasis on NASCAR events. There is nothing more relaxing. My home unit is a Char-Broiler Deluxe, an excellent and reasonable smoker/grill with multiple attachments. I am from Washington & spent ten years in the Alaskan fishing industry, so smoked salmon is of course a personal favorite, but here's an image of the Char Siu I made yesterday for the Truck Series race at Kansas. Add some hot mustard and sesame seeds, oh yeah! Please share stories/recipes or anything BBQ related.... Have a great day at the grill...

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-09-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Thats awesome. I am a big time BBQ carnivore and the family as well.
This weekend just-so happens to be our BBQ 'Pit Wars' on the river festival called the Roman Roast. We will have the King of BBQ Myron Mixon attending again and do a live taping.
Friday was Wings night and Saturday is the main event.
BTW, i am a Nascar fan too! but i have never attended a sanctioned event, just a local dirt track we have. There been a few times i came close, but hanging around a bunch of beer drinking all day is not fun for me i guess, Rv have a 5yr waiting list at Dega from what i hear, tho sleeping in a van or truck be more feasable i guess.
Here is the website of the BBQ: http://www.rfpra.com/RomanRoastontheRiverteams.html
Smoking Guns:
Atlanta, Georgia: Smoking Gun BBQ
The Rust Nail employs a giant 18-ft. long pistol-shaped barbecue grill, visible on a trailer in the parking lot. Smoke comes out of the barrel. - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2....Fo4l6flR.dpuf
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-09-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:04 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Thats awesome. I am a big time BBQ carnivore and the family as well.
This weekend just-so happens to be our BBQ 'Pit Wars' on the river festival called the Roman Roast. We will have the King of BBQ Myron Mixon attending again and do a live taping.
Friday was Wings night and Saturday is the main event.
BTW, i am a Nascar fan too! but i have never attended a sanctioned event, just a local dirt track we have. There been a few times i came close, but hanging around a bunch of beer drinking all day is not fun for me i guess, Rv have a 5yr waiting list at Dega from what i hear, tho sleeping in a van or truck be more feasable i guess.
Here is the website of the BBQ: http://www.rfpra.com/RomanRoastontheRiverteams.html
Smoking Guns:
Atlanta, Georgia: Smoking Gun BBQ
The Rust Nail employs a giant 18-ft. long pistol-shaped barbecue grill, visible on a trailer in the parking lot. Smoke comes out of the barrel. - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2....Fo4l6flR.dpuf
That Roman Roast looks like an awesome event, hope you got a chance to enjoy the featured meats & eats. The pistol smoker is ridiculous, but would be a huge hit here at the Ellensburg Rodeo.

Glad to meet a fellow NASCAR gearhead on net54. In the Pacific Northwest it's dirt tracks and 1/2 mile ovals. I visited the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte last year. Totally agree about Dega/Daytona infields, but I'd love to go to Martinsville for $2 dogs and minor league hockey-like action on the track. Good times.

Go to Memphis-style rub:
½ cup paprika
¼ cup garlic powder
¼ cup chili powder
3 tbsp sea salt
3 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp celery seed
1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp thyme
3 tsp cumin
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp allspice

Great on meat & poultry without the need of BBQ sauce. Increase heat with more black pepper or substitute hotter chili powder variations or with cayenne.

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-09-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I like the Memphis rub stuff too! What wood do you smoke with? Hickory, Cherry?
I am more of a sweet bbq person. Love the sticky fingers sauces. Lately i become more into that mustard sauces, espceially for seafood and chicken.
I am bar far not into that vinegar flavor, tho some folks down here like it. I dont know why, i think it kills it. In all reality, you should not need any sauce, if the meat is tender and juicy. I kinda like the bark, and you have to ask for that. so much flavor there.

I tivo'ed the race, and of coure the rain delay 2hrs+ caused it not to tape it. So i dont know how the hell JJ won the race especially him and JG sucked at the beginning.
Must of been one of those no pit or no tire calls?? i'm guessing here.
Hope the rain didnt ruin your visit as much.
I will try one day to use that recipe and see how it goes. +1

Do you collect any nascar stuff? I used to back in the early 2000 around before Sr. died. Then i just stopped shrotly after that. Since i collected everything Sr, Jr, and some Gordon. My brother also did some stuff as well, some Tony and vinatge guys.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-10-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:01 AM
pariah1107

They're tearing up apple orchards right and left in the Yakima valley to replace them with vineyards, so apple wood is abundant and cheap (usually free for hauling it away).

There was only one BBQ sauce I thought was ever worth a darn, but sadly he's recently closed up shop . Bark is always delicious, adds a little bite to the tender BBQ.

Race recap: Harvick and Truex had the cars to beat after the long rain delay. Stenhouse spun with 9 to go for the caution. Junior and JJ gas-n-go pit-stops put them out front while other drivers grabbed two tires. The Hendrick cars steadily improved all day, and blocked Harvick until he wobbled and lost the draft. Truex was mired behind Kurt Busch on the inside and finished ninth. Almost a formality JJ took the checkers, though Harvick rallied to pass Jr. on the final lap. Good, not great racing.

I collect local racing memorabilia; Sunny-Grand, Yakima Speedway, Three Lakes (Wenatchee), etc. from 1950-70's. Here's a 1962 program from the Central Washington Jalopy Racing Association:

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-10-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Thanks for the recap of the race. I figured as much.
We also had a shop close up too that was very good, due to the land owner not keeping up with the restaraunt. I tried to see where and if they re-open elsewhere.
I got a couple of Nascar racing programs, some with many autographs.
1984 firecracker, signed by maybe 40 drivers
1992 Petty farewell signed
and of course the 2004 Daytona, signed by over 40 drivers, which i been trying to sell.
I think, besides the diecst and such, my favorite piece is actually my Looney toons artwork with the late Sr in it. And a close 2nd is one i keep on my nightstand with Sr in a older race suit wearing a shirt saying "damn i'm good'
I been slowly and i mean slowly trying to sell some items to fund my baseball cards nowadays.
That photo of the poster takes me back to my brothers collection of vintage cars he has. Like fireball roberts and bud baker and yarborough and etc.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-10-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
We also had a shop close up too that was very good, due to the land owner not keeping up with the restaraunt. I tried to see where and if they re-open elsewhere.
I visited the Sticky Fingers Sauce site. Intriguing, do you have any recommendations?

Or mustard sauce recipes you might be willing to share. Tried honey mustard chicken breast a month or so ago, and it was too mild a mustard taste for my pallet. I thought maybe some Beavers hot horseradish in the mustard/honey/lemon juice marinade might kick it up a notch. Any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 AM
T!M R10rd@n

What is this BBQ thing of which you speak?

I may have a little experience to share. Here I am with my 3rd place trophy for ribs from a 65 team competition last June . . .

And these are our first place ribs from a competition a couple of years ago. We took 1st in ribs in back to back competitions that year.

And here I am with my niece from the second of those 1st Place Rib wins.

Last edited by timzcardz; 05-11-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

@Tim: Awesome! and i love the t-shirt and company.
@Ty: Dont have any mustard one off-hand. I know within the past year i stopped by a curb side that had boiled p-nuts and had a mustard sauce and picked it up. Cant remember the name of it, but it did have a spicy kick to it.

I have tried this before and thought it was good:
Louisiana Wing Sauce (original & honey Mustard)
As for sticky fingers: They are all good, some may be looser/thinner than compared to a Masterpieces, it has a thick glaze for ribs. I have also used that Guy Fieri, which is a loose sauce, but has bold flavor.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-11-2015, 08:23 AM
pariah1107

Congratulations Tim! Love the name "Grim Reaper Smokers". Hmmm, all of a sudden I'm thinking ribs for breakfast

IMO Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Rays are too heavy-handed with the sugar/molasses, but provide a decent bark. I'll definitely check out that Louisiana Wing Sauce, and see if there's a store in the area with Sticky Fingers. I'll drive 40-50 miles for good BBQ sauce, or just order on-line. Thanks for the suggestions Chris!!

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-11-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Sauces . . . .

There are a great many sauces out there that are good, alone, and perhaps even better in combinations.

Sauce that I use for both my chicken and pork butts is a combination of Head Country, Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Maple Syrup with some of a rub that I mix up also mixed into the sauce.

I also cook my pork butts with a rub and slathered with Blues Hog Honey Mustard Sauce.

Plowboys Sweet 180 is also a good sauce put out by one the top competitors in the country.

All of these sauces can be readily ordered online, and IMHO are worth giving a try.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Im gonna have to write these ALL down, as i never used them. I am open to new things. +1 here. Now, i'm not for one for vinegar, and just read up on Plowboys. That En Fuego sauces seems to be the kicker i want.
I almost forgot, we also used a Williamson Bros. sauce. I grew up on their bbq. For some odd reason i love bbq and nachos or even a stuffed potato. DAMN! i'm hungry
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 05-11-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM
pariah1107

Great recommendations Tim! You sound like a bit of a mad scientist; beakers, bunsen burners, maybe a tesla coil . Brilliant!

Everybody Wants Some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6Kcz62onA

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-11-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Barry Sloate

Great license plate too Tim! Those ribs look yummy!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Great license plate too Tim! Those ribs look yummy!
Thanks, Barry.

It's the tag line to our team name . . . Grim Reaper Smokers . . . BBQ To Die For
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Anthøny N. ex

When vegans BBQ.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LTSbbq1.jpg (47.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Grilled romaine hearts. Omnivores do that too, but I prefer them raw.

Would much rather go with spaghetti squash with a little butter and brown sugar.

Or for the vegans, you could use olive oil in lieu of butter.

Last edited by timzcardz; 05-13-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: vegan modification
Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 PM
pariah1107

Apple Cinnamon Smoked Salmon:

2 lbs. sockeye salmon fillet
8 cups Apple Juice
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
3 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
2 tsp black peppercorn
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp allspice
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leafs
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp tabasco

1. Brine; Apple juice, brown sugar, and salt. Boil until sugar and salt are dissolved, and cool
2. Combine remaining ingredients to cooled brine in dish/container that allows the fillet to lay flat (Avoid aluminum)
3. Refrigerate, marinate 12-36 hrs. I prefer the 30-36 hrs. soak.
4. Remove from brine, and place on rack skin down to cure 2-4 hours in refrigerator (Less time for partial tails such as the one pictured below).
5. Place in smoker at 225-300F and monitor until desired smoke, and most importantly proper internal temperature is achieved; 1-3 hours. I like a hickory smoke for this fish.

Enjoy the racing this weekend. I'll add some "after" images Sunday.

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-15-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:21 PM
pariah1107

And the after photo... Might tweak the recipe slightly, and add a bit more heat (maybe a tsp or two more tabasco), but full of flavor. Aside the taste, fruity with touch of heat at the end, the best thing about the recipe is it adds to the vibrant red sockeye color even after smoke.

I've got some romaine in the greenhouse so made a nice salad, and smoked salmon cream cheese spread for the Xfinity race at Iowa. Go Bubba!

Old 05-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

The ol' lady is the sole person in the family that likes salmon. So, i am asking for recipes for a 1/4 pd piece, love to hear some grilling receipes.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
The ol' lady is the sole person in the family that likes salmon. So, i am asking for recipes for a 1/4 pd piece, love to hear some grilling receipes.
Any flavor preferences? Heat, sweet, or neat?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Any flavor preferences? Heat, sweet, or neat?
Probably not-so much heat, as she dont do hot wings. Anything sweet and not so much of a bold flavor that kills it.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 AM
pariah1107

Here's a good, small portion, and quick recipe for Ginger Ale and Orange Juice Salmon:

1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ginger ale
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 - 1/3 lbs. fillet
green onions for garnish

Mix first five ingredients in plastic bag, and add fillet. Increase 1 tbsp to 1 and a half tablespoons OJ to sweeten more. Refrigerate 45 minutes to one hour. Get bbq to 375-425F, and lightly oil grill. Place fillet skin down on grill surface. Carefully turn after 2-3 minutes, cook additional 2-3 minutes or until desired color, internal temperature are achieved. Add onions to plated fish. Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I went and got my fave BBQ yesterday. I like the burnt part but make it lean please. Sometimes I will drive through a BBQ restaurant and pick up a half pound of end cuts and eat it on the way to wherever I am going. I love it. And Texas has a couple good BBQ places to visit too. This newer BBQ place couldn't think of a name so they just used their address at 1050 N. Central Expressway in Dallas.....so it's 1050BBQ and it is awesome. I just wish it wasn't $20 a pound .

http://www.ten50bbq.com/

Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
pariah1107

I take my BBQ seriously, but this is just ridiculous. A backyard stabbing over the last rib...

http://fox59.com/2015/05/27/fight-ov...bbing-by-fork/

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-29-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 PM
pariah1107

Due to the lack of rain in the PNW, BBQ's in central Washington have been banned since early June. It is bone dry tinder out here and most fireworks shows were cancelled in the area for the Fourth of July. Did anyone BBQ over the holiday or have a nice fireworks display to share? Thank you....

Last edited by pariah1107; 07-05-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Due to the lack of rain in the PNW, BBQ's in central Washington have been banned since early June. It is bone dry tinder out here and most fireworks shows were cancelled in the area for the Fourth of July. Did anyone BBQ over the holiday or have a nice fireworks display to share? Thank you....
Ty,
That's awful! July 4th without fireworks I can do. But no bbq? Stupid drought!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hell yeah! Smoked out some wangs, chicken, and shrimp. Even had bbq pizza on the grill.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Here in western Washington we barbecued burgers, sausage and shrimp and were kept awake all night by fireworks. If I lived in a place where those things could not occur, I would have to move. Just knowing it's happening a few miles to the east is fairly unbearable.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Here in western Washington we barbecued burgers, sausage and shrimp and were kept awake all night by fireworks. If I lived in a place where those things could not occur, I would have to move. Just knowing it's happening a few miles to the east is fairly unbearable.
First year in ten I've debated relocation. The east slope of the Cascades is a beautiful place, but 3 weeks of 100+ heat in the early summer, and haze of smoke from nearby fires is almost suffocating. A neighbor joked he was smoking salmon by hanging it out the window for 4 hours.

Some BBQ'd burgers, sausage, and shrimp sounds pretty darn good right now. Heck, I'd take a grill full of veggies....