NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Collecting

Posted By: T206Collector

Okay, so about a year ago, I completed the Monster (save Magie, Doyle, Wagner and Plank) with the purchase of Cy Young Bare Hand from Connecticut dealer Chet Woods (if you don't know him, you should, great dealer!). Anyway, it turns out that was just the beginning as my next goal is to have the entire collection graded, with an average SGC grade of 40. I'm about 200 away at the moment, but we purchased a house in September and have another child (our second) on the way in January and so, well, yes it is impossible for me to spend any real money on cards anymore. I have spent about $100 over the past three months -- after spending $500-$1000 a month for awhile there. Now I have taken to trading cards with rarer backs for upgrades of the others; as well as downgrading small portions of my collection to upgrade larger portions of others.

At this rate I'll never get there. But I have taken a lot of comfort in the recent posts about people just beginning their T206 journeys; though it has also made me a little jealous. I remember quite well my first two T206 cards, Matty White Cap/Bender Portrait, followed by a Chase White Cap Throwing, and a Moeller and a Myers batting. They joys of beginning the walk up the hill are really incomparable -- completion in some ways is anti-climactic. But I have found that even when you keep a set together, that there are so many ways to enjoy collecting within that set through upgrades, downgrades, etc. that the journey really never ends. And, of course, I don't get to take the cards with me to the grave -- they will be sold off eventually by an heir that doesn't understand them. But they're all mine, currently, and it is a sort of responsibility to make it the best that I can within my means at the time.

So, anyway, I happen to think that our Grand Old Board would be a pretty lonely place without T206 cards. Sure there are lots of collectors with varying interests, but I think it's stating the obvious to say that T206 is at the core of the pre-war baseball cards. There really should be more posts devoted to its intricacies (backs, factories, images, conditions, rarities, etc.).