NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Exhibit cards

Is it me or are Exhibit cards gaining a lot of momentum in popularity and value in the last year?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I'm new to vintage but I definitely see the attraction. They are the first vintage cards I've pursued because the images are really nice and the prices (compared to some of then big sets) are still pretty reasonable. But I've definitely seen in comparing current sales to older prices that the numbers have jumped on many of them.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Ben North

I have bought a few lately and paid about the same as I have in the past. I have noticed some have listing them for crazy high prices recently but rarely see those sell.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Default Exhibits

Exhibits in pre-war major HOF'ers in mid grade PSA 5/SGC 60 are quite scarce. ebay has sold like two since New Years. So little tough to get a fix on price appreciation. Honestly, I just don't know about others. However, very glad to hear they are on the up. Maybe people are finally realizing how nice they look, how reasonable they are compared to other cards, and how tough they are. Side note - that 1947 Paige Exhibit is a sleeper.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Jay Cee

My hunch is that there are two longtime collectors who are battling for the top spot on the registry. They are always looking to improve their cards. Then we throw in another longtime collector who is back in the exhibit market who has deep pockets (Oil money I hear). Then you have us postcard guys who are always looking to snag some nice Exhibits along with the HOF and RC collectors.

LOTG is a respected AH that people promote and look for a reason to bid

Then the consignor of the Exhibits (member here) had a great collection which took well over a decade or two to form. So, this is literally a once in a decade auction for many hard to find Exhibits which won't be seeing the light of day for a long time I imagine.

It was a perfect storm!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I loved LoTG's Exhibit sale but I also hated it. I have been into Exhibits for 30 years. There has been a run-up in prices over the last few years, especially on the giants--Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb--and to a lesser extent other first-rate HOFers. The Gehrig RC and the Ruth 23-24 should be worth tens of thousands. Ruth especially has been drawing strong prices for a few years now. This result on a 31-32 Ruth from Al's older auctions left me stunned:

I love the price increases on what I own but lament the increases on the rest!

Condition isn't something you can readily tie to a run up in price. The TPGs are brutal on prewar Exhibits. So much so that to find a prewar card with a high slab # is somewhere between challenging and impossible. Collectors of these sets get the best they can and leave it at that, especially if the downgrade is a back issue on a blank-backed card.

There is also a growing appreciation among collectors for the rarity of some variations. For example, the no-background PC backs that LoTG sold are very scarce SPs, really tough. It can take years to find them in any condition. The Ruth and Gehrig versions you expect to go into four figures but the prices on Waner, Faber, Sisler, Speaker, etc., and even Todt and Wilson were very strong. Those are the set guys trying to finish up. For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

Regular version:

No background 'silhouette' version:

But you see that with every set with the SPs: if you chase the Salutations set you will pay far more for Hugh Mulcahy or Johnny Rizzo than the common version of Ted Williams in comparable condition.

The 1922 Eastern Exhibits are another example. The plain PC back versions that LoTG was selling are not Exhibit cards. They are mislabeled by the TPGs. They are postcards. Different stock than Exhibits with a different thickness, which is critical because you cannot vend cards of the wrong size and weight from an Exhibit machine. They foul the mechanism. So, the anonymous PC backs are really very scarce postcards. Collectors who've been into these sets for years know that they are much tougher than the typical EE. The bidding on them was very strong because the secret is out of the bag on them.

Moving to the late 1920s sets, again, the Ruth and Gehrig are in a league of their own, followed by Cobb, then the remainder.

The postwar versions of SPs include the imprinted backs and the PC backs, both of which have dedicated collector bases. Those prices were very strong because of rarity. Someone really locked horns over the PC back Mantle; I was amazed watching that card go over $2K.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
This result on a 31-32 Ruth from Al's older auctions left me stunned:

Ouch, I won that card. Frankly, I had not seen that card in 3-4 years, so I just wanted to grab it even though it was probably 2-3x what a similar card last went for in a Legendary auction.

A lot of the exhibit cards have very appealing images. The 1926-29 Gehrig batting card, even though the image is used on other Gehrig cards, something about it just "pops" on the Exhibit. It can look really nice in higher grade with a nice background (see that red Gehrig from LOTG).

And many of the Exhibit cards have lot pops. When prices were "low," people (like me) figured they could just get them later. However, as they are going up, you figure you'd better get one before you miss the boat (like the 25 Gehrig which I've completely missed out on).
Old 04-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I had a few bids on the 31-32 Ruth myself, but have always been sort of on the fence with that one, only because it is a Hollywood card and not a sports card. Same reason I don't buy photos of Gehrig in Hollywood or signing a document in the Department of Corrections office.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Jay Cee

I would have liked too see the Exhibit collection broken up and auctioned off in two or three parts. I'm sure many bidders had to pick and choose what to go for. Plus it's hard to place top all bids as you could over extend financially.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yup. And now we have REA's run of exhibits to deal with.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-04-2017, 05:03 PM

I dropped out on couple of the Plain Background after my limit...but it was tempting to go for them. As Adam mentioned, those hardly come around (HOF or Non HOF's). I have two (yellow and light green backgrounds) and would have been nice to add that Pink Todt card. Congrats to all the winners on the Exhibits, there were some sweet ones in this auction.

Ricky Y
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Yup. And now we have REA's run of exhibits to deal with.
And after that is Heritage....holy cow on that one too!! It seems endless....I wish my money was.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Default Exhibit Card Variations

For the past 10 years or so SCD's catalog has listed Bearden, Branca, Dillinger and Breechen as being printed with "MADE IN U.S.A." in the lower right corner and also with and without "AN EXHIBIT CARD" in the lower left corner. I didn't see the variations on the Beckett or PSA sites. Has anyone evidence that the without AN EXHIBIT CARD variations exist? I haven't spotted any and haven't found anyone else yet who has either. (Berra and Doby are another story, but I don't want to confuse the question.)
Old 04-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Exhibits

see below

Last edited by whiteymet; 04-22-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: error
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Exhibits

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrechek View Post
For the past 10 years or so SCD's catalog has listed Bearden, Branca, Dillinger and Breechen as being printed with "MADE IN U.S.A." in the lower right corner and also with and without "AN EXHIBIT CARD" in the lower left corner. I didn't see the variations on the Beckett or PSA sites. Has anyone evidence that the without AN EXHIBIT CARD variations exist? I haven't spotted any and haven't found anyone else yet who has either. (Berra and Doby are another story, but I don't want to confuse the question.)
Hi George:

I have a Brecheen, but the others to my knowledge do not exist. I got excited a few years back when I saw a Branca w/o AEC but when I contacted the seller his scan just cut off the bottom of the card. That is one way "rumors" get started about cards existing that really don't.

I have been trying to upload an image but it has repeatedly failed. I get an error message saying:

Load Failed

Load of URL http://www.net54baseball.com/newatta...anageattach&p= failed with error code -101.

Leon, am I doing something wrong??

I'll try later

Fred
Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Brecheen w/o AN EXHIBIT CARD Lower Left

Here is scan of the Bredheen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brecheen no AEC_000137.jpg (74.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting this, Fred. In the future please PM< me if you (or anyone)
needs any help. I don't read every thread and can miss requests.

ps...George V- hope you are well and good to see you on the board!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Old 04-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Thanks for posting. Cool exhibit