NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default N9 Allen & Ginter Flags - Great Britain variations

Posted By: Rich W.

I know this topic goes a little beyond baseball, but I also know a lot of posters collect 19th century non sports issues. Thus, here's my question. The 1999 American Tobacco Guide by Forbes lists two variations for the N9 Flags of All nations Great Britain card. One has a green sun (common) and one has a yellow sun( rare). I have one that has a gold sun that reads "Royal Standard Great Britain" in the sun. Any help on if this is a rarity or if this is just a common variation would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I got my A8 Flags of All Nations & The United States of America album out. It includes the N9 (48 cards according to the ACC), N10 (50 cards according to the ACC), N11 (47 cards including territories according to tha ACC) sets. Interesting thing, my album only pictures 95 flags from Nations, but includes the Corea and Roumania (also listed as rare in many reference books), but is missing this particular card all together. Heres the page that has the wording and image of the flag.

OK, got it out and looked a little closer. It seems to be layed out for the most part in N9, then N10, followed by N11 order. According to Forbes & Mitchell, there are 50 N9s, 50 N10s, and 47 N11s. My album shows 38 state flags, followed by 9 territories in the back, just like everyone says it should (ACC and F&M). The N9s and N10s are a little more confusing. The first page of series 1 is above. Below the wording that mirrors the wording on Rich's card are 3 series 1 cards (Ireland, England, Scotland), the a series 2 (Victoria), a series 1 again (New Zealand), a series 2 (Dominion of Canada), then series 1 again (and Corea no less). Then we start on series 1 in alphabetical order just like the Forbes and Mitchell book's checklist says. I'm assuming those first 7 cards are "The United Kingdoms"?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_2nd3rd_pg.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_4th5th_pg.jpg

They also mention a English pennant with Union Jack. My album doesn't show that card or Rich's card anywhere. Heres where it should be.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_where_royalstandard_shouldb.jpg

Forbes & Mitchell also say Roumania is in the first series. Its in the second series in the album.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_roumaniain2nd_series.jpg

Heres where the 1st series ends and the second one starts, as well as the end of the second and the beginning of the United States flags so you can see how the entire album is layed out.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_beginof2nd_series.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/album_end_of2nd_series.jpg

Not sure what all this means, but at least its food for thought.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

The album you reference mixes up the cards in all 3 series. Your best checklist comes directly from the backs or the cards.

The first series, N9, starts with 48 cards as per the checklist. There are also 2 others, Corea (rare) and Roumania (very rare) that seem to have been printed at the end of the cards cycle. Those 2 cards have checklists that include all 50. I don't know if there are 50-card checklists with the other 48 fronts out there.

Then there are "fancy" versions of 5 others (Austria, France, Holland, Italy, and Japan) which are not very hard to find.

Finally, there is a Belgium fancy card which shows a cigarette pack instead of a flag and the Great Britain yellow sun originally mentioned.

The rarest 4, in order, are Roumania, GB Yellow Sun, Belgium Fancy, and Corea. I will see if I can upload a scan of the first 2.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich W.

Thank you, Eric and Keith for your extensive responses. Eric, is my "gold" sun actually the yellow sun, because I find reference only to a yellow sun and a green sun?

Old 07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

It looks like the green and gold are probably the same. I have a better Yellow Sun (only person with 2?) in great shape somewhere. Can't find at the moment. Also, here's a Roumania. This is my first attempt at posting pics, so if I screw up, sorry.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Pics

Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Try again

Old 07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark H

Mine is yellow. I think it's only either yellow or green; gold would be the yellow:

Very interesting stuff, Keith. Thanks for all the research. This is certainly a confusing set. I've always thought the albums were made available as soon as the cards were, but since they were redeemed with coupons, maybe the coupons weren't available with the first release of these cards, which, in 1887, makes them one of the earliest nonsports card sets.

Here are the England and Union Jack cards you refer to.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

I'm beginning to think the yellow sun variation is not quite so rare. Does anyone else have a Roumania? I had a Belgium fancy for awhile. Corea's go on sale about twice a year.