NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What are your other hobbies?

Posted By: drdduet

Just to get to know each ID better, list a few of your other pastimes.

Kayaking, fishing, kayak fishing, kayaking with my family, fishing with my family
Writing, reading, collecting antique tomes, reading with my family
Adventure racing, mountain biking

Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

graduate studies, dating, bodybuilding, running, traveling, reading and the beach

Brian E.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Poetry,
Coaching youth basketball at the Y,
1st edition books
ESPN ESPN 2 ESPN Classic

Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Running, soccer, legal studies, CARS and WOMEN

Old 02-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Playing basketball, sand volleyball & golf.

Reading.

Playing Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Trucks.

Watching College Hoops, Thomas the Tank Engine, Little Einsteins, & Blues Clues. (God Bless three year olds)

In two weeks my hobbies will expand to: not sleeping, late late night bottle feedings, changing diapers, and picking out frilly pink outfits.

In 18 years I'll get back to my secondary passions.

Bill

Old 02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

My other collection... guns. I love collecting guns almost as much as I love shooting them. I also enjoy travelling... going to Italy this Saturday for the next 3 and a half years!!

Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Playing chess, which I don't get to do that often; listening to 1950's jazz and 1960's rock- I have a huge LP collection; and watching "Seinfeld", the "Simpsons" and assorted classic shows from the past (is watching TV a hobby? Probably not). Love great movies, biographies- Bob Dylan's was the last I read; and being lazy, which I do with great flair.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Ebay, auction, antique shops, flea market junky - long time collector of all kinds of things - chiefly porcelains, paintings, old photos, sports memorabilia in general with a bent towards vintage baseball and hockey, old reggae 45's - and my grandkids - no i don't collect them and they're not quite a hobby, but i''ll drop all of the above for them.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

LP collection - mostly jazz and rock (loosely defined), but pretty eclectic. Along with the love of music comes an obsession with good audio geer.

Translating Buddhist texts - mostly from Classical Tibetan (including some done for His Holiness the Dalai Lama).

Books - Thousands of all sorts, though mostly related to Asia, Philosophy, Religion, Jazz, and the American West.

Travel - mostly Asia and the American southwest.

Backpacking.

Films.

JimB

Old 02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I kinda, sorta collect Academy Awards memorabilia (my Dad used to be the president of their outside public relations counsel, so I got an inside line on lots of good stuff, but I've mostly been selling it off to buy cards), and rocks and fossils. I practice Bikram Yoga 4-5 times a week. I also coach little league. From time to time I venture into the mountains near my home to hunt fossils.

Bill: "my hobbies will expand to: not sleeping, late late night bottle feedings, changing diapers, and picking out frilly pink outfits" For yourself or others If the former, we don't need to know.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

mainly civil war memoralbilia, roman, egyptian aritfacts, some of my odd/weird/different items include 1. original newspaper printed by ben franklin 2. saurpod/duckbill dinosaur egg 3. civil war musket with battlefield scars 4. egyptian tomb body wrapping, usabti (spellcheck that one) 5. roman dagger... lots of cool stuff that you dont see everyday in someone's house.
pete

Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

BrianE,
What are you studying in grad school?
JimB

Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

I've been trying to find an affordable Poor Richards' Almanack for my son(any cond.)... Got any laying around or any leads?

Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

-Basketball: Raptors fan since team's inception in '95, before that, Bulls fan. Also enjoy shooting some hoop from time to time. My jumper is money, but I have no handles and my defense is suspect at best.

-Philosophy: Majored in it for my BA; special interest in Presocratic Greek philosophers (wrote thesis on Heraclitus and Parmenides) as well as early 20th century European phenomenology (Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Arendt).

-Art: All kinds of stuff, from M.C. Escher to Rembrandt to Degas and much more. Also enjoy creating my own art.

-Music: Love the classics like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CSNY, and some jazz, classical, and hip hop as well.

I don't consider women a hobby, but I certainly enjoy them too

Cool thread.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

JimB:

If I keep my head above water, I will have my MS in International Relations this summer.

Brian E.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter

Being a 16 year old kid, vintage card collecting isn't very normal. But I do other normal things, like hockey in the winter, baseball in the spring, awkward driving lessons with my father (2 weeks for me to get used to the gas and break pedals) and of course girls.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I like to fish and restore Cars. This is a Michigan State Record I caught.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Should be finished writing my dissertation in about five weeks (well, have to), then I can get back to jogging, watching classic films, hanging out in art musea, cooking (vegetarian), listening to my favorite music (primarily Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Tori Amos, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles), composing poetry (occasionally serious but often in the style of Dr. Seuss), surfing the web for anything funny, and paying more attention to my wife and our pet hedgehog.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I fly two line stunt kites. That's what my little icon is - except that you can't really tell b/c the picture gets forced into a square format. Great stress management activity. I have around 15 or 16 kites or so (all Prism), mostly for different wind conditions and/or flying styles.

Whenever I travel anywhere in US try to see if there are any minor league games near where I'm going. I get a mini-bat and long sleeve T for every team I see play (Albuquerque Isotopes, Charlotte Knights, Tulsa Drillers, Brooklyn Cyclones, etc).

A few of my favorite kites (sorry for the self-indulgence, but getting me going on kites is kind of like getting me going on old bb cards):

Prism Illusion - put Prism Kites on the map. I own this kite. The webmaster for Prism Kites lives a few miles from me, and sold me the photographer's model.

Prism Fanatic. My favorite all around kite. Also my first kite that wasn't a toy, so to speak. As I got more advanced kites, others said I'd never fly the Fanatic again - but it is always first one out of my bag. When Prism discontinued this model last year I immediately bought two more so I will be sure to have one for my lifetime.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeremy wagoner

is that a muskie? my area is known for the largest muskies

Old 02-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

No its a splake Trout. They usually are like 12" long. A muskie would be much bigger. This fish would be considered a prewar fish because the DNR Scientist dated it back to the early 1930's.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Music - Mostly punk, indie rock, bebop and traditional jazz. I used to own an indie record label about ten years ago and still write a column for a punk zine, so I still have a little of it in me, I guess. I finally digitized all my music and put several thousand LPs and several thousand more CDs away in storage.

Basketball - I have season tickets to the Nets and also coach my son's youth basketball team.

Baseball - I never miss a Yankee game (on TV, though, as I only go to 2-3 games a year).

That's about all I have time for these days.

-Al

Old 02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

you can try timothy hughes rare and early newspapers his email is info@rarenewspapers.com , he mainly deals in newspapers but occassionaly i'll see an old booklet/pamphlet, maybe he can help direct you. his ebay id is timhu and they are in pennsylvania, williamsport of all places...i did see a poor richards almanak once on ebay but that was a while ago...i bought my newspaper from him and it is sweet, in the top 3 favorite items i own next to my musket and tobacco card collection, hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Music: Indie/Punk/Dark Wave/Bluegrass

Reading: I'm a Mormon, I read a lot of LDS books, and study LDS history. I love reading the Bible, but I also read a lot of documentaries.

I enjoy art history, b-movies, crime shows. I also love writing and studied public speaking in college. I love learning about other cultures and learn how they communicate. I also love small-town America. I have written for a website call Texas Escapes.com

Don't laugh, I freaking love the Brady Bunch and Flintstones, I own all of the seasons.

Outdoors: I love gardening, hiking trails, and slow-pitch softball.

James

Old 02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

there's one on ebay right now, not a franklin print but from 1916, try this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Poor-Richards-Almanac-1916-17th-year-Wilmer-Atkinson-Co_W0QQitemZ8382260354QQcategoryZ377QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Seth B.

I'm also a grad student (there've been a couple so far), and most my time for other hobbies goes into a future PhD in Roman history. (Tell me more about that dagger, Pete!). But I like indie music and jazz, and I bike a bunch, though not nearly as much as I used to. Once biked across the US. I also love baseball, and going to games and watching games is a hobby of mine in the summer.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

kayaking in the warmer months, camping, cooking, collecting and restoring vintage modern furniture, collect art...prints and lithos of modern stuff...ralph steadman,picasso,advertising art...michelin man stuff and baseball related. my other real passion these days is throwing pots and collecting pots.

pete in mn

Old 02-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

Trying to get back into basketball. Played fullcourt twice a week until age 51. Need some knee work. I still surf but not with a board (grew up in Kill Devil Hills, NC.) I coach my son's Y basketball team ,and attend my daughter's lacross and field hockey games.
I sail a Cal 34 and occasionally jump out of an perfectly good airplane ( youngest brother is a tandem master). Every other summer I will raise some silk moths, mostly polyphemus, cecropia and sometimes a citheronia. Very relaxing.
My current obsession is trying to post pictures on this site.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Photography, theatre, classic rock music concerts, travel.

--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

What an educated bunch!
I'm in Seattle, so there's plenty to do outside, but I'm also into playing Old-Time, Bluegrass, and Jazz for fun. You guys should check out Anson's cd. It's really great. We need to start the network 54 band and tour the card show circuit. Maybe we could get paid in autographs and green hotdogs?

I did play a bunch of sports too until a few months ago when I tore my ACL (soccer) so know I'm doing the old physical therapy.

Ben, was Jim B. your college philosophy prof.? (Different discipline, right Jim?)

Robert

Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

the dagger was found in the balkans (like a ton of artifacts) about 20 years ago by a historian that is a friend of a friend of a friend, it dates about 100-300 a.d. nice blade with green patina not a lot of rust, measures about 10 inches, handle must of had something on it that is now missing but the metal dagger is one solid shaft, my buddy's helping me put a site together that will have my collection on there with brief notations...i also have a ton of coins, spear and arrowheads, military decorations etc...some i got off of ebay most from outside dealers

Old 02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Martial arts. I'm currently a red belt in Kuk Sool Won. My 9 & 10 year old boys will get thier black belts in June. My 6 year old daughter got as far as an advanced yellow belt, but she dropped out for now.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206King

Hobbies
- Restoring my 1972 Chevelle 300 Deluxe and love cars
- Collect LP's examples like Maiden, Floyd etc etc
- Own and play guitar (own 2 right now, Jagstang, and a Fender strat)
- Went to Avaition College to become a Aircraft Engineer for 2 years
- Play baseball and bowling alot in the summer and winter
- love paintballing, and shooting stuff lol
- anything outdoors!

Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I was at a coin show not too long ago and there was a table that had a couple of daggers and a sword that were supposedly Roman. How often are these counterfeited? and is there any easy way to tell? I saw the movie Troy soon afterwards and they looked like the ones that Brad Pitt was using.

The sword was selling for something like 2k.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

Hobbies
Football:Fullback and Defensive end
Wrestling
Baseball
Vintage cards
What else for a 14 year old, working the ladies

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 02-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I studied renaissance art in college but even a honus wagner card is cheaper than a michelangelo so i switched hobbies. I also like to read about (but not participate in) war as well exploration, shipwrecks, etc. I play baseball, basketball and watch football. I make decent money on the side playing backgammon. I love to fish, raft and canoe although I'm getting fed up with the fishing since I havn't been able to match the forty pound pike (a guess, probably exaggerated) I caught when I was fifteen. Finally, I love the ladies...sadly, more than they love me : )

Old 02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

Theatre, Whitewater Rafting, Vintage Posters, my poor cursed Indy Colts and recently-motorcycles.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I am a collector. 90% of my energy goes into baseball items. Mostly Pre War. I also collect wire photos. I have about 50 right now. Ruth and Foxx. Three quarters of my home is filled witrh Victorian antiques. My chandelior in my dining room is from about 1840. Got it in new Orleans. Two years ago, not the past year. I collect old books from before 1900. I have an antique Mercedes that comes out in the summer. I have several other mercedes as well. Older ones. I have a home theatre, whereby my wife and I can watch classic movies. I have about 800 of those. I also have many coins, stamps, comics, civil war items, including an almost mint rifle from the war.. Still has the bayonet attached. I have season tickets to the Guthrie Theatre in our city. One of my favorite ways to spend an evening, with the classics. Hamlet is coming on April 1st. I am active in the Local Rotary club, treasurer of the local cemetery, on the finance commitee for a large mens club, and on the board of directors of the Historical Society. We also have foreign exchange students going througgh our home. We are on our third right now. We love it. Like traveling without having to leave the house.

We love to travel. My son and I are going to Cooperstown in March, and my wife and I are going to Iceland this summer. Just got back from new York City where we spent New Years eve.

Basically i collect anything I think is cool. I love old things. Luckily my wife also loves antiques. because I LOVE old things. It is a malady I can't get rid of. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME ?

Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

They are numerous, but here are the major ones:

Keeping my 1957 and 1960 Ford Thunderbirds running.

Tennis (staying in shape so I can maintain my dominance over
my two Daughters and my 20-year old Grandson)

Electronics, Lionel Trains, 19th Century US Stamps, Chess and
Irridescent (100 yr old) Glass

I almost forgot......I have a Vintage BB PIN BALL machine. It is
from the WWII era. Some of you older members would recall playing
it in your youth. It has 3 - Decks to hit the steel ball for a HR.
When you get a BaseHit the little plastic players run around the
bases. It's at least 60 yrs old and still operating, except occas-
ionly it doesn't register Outs properly. But, I keep it running.

Anyhow, I (of course) am the all-time RUNs leader with 560/Inning..
Runner-up is my Grandson Ron Peterson.....3rd is Mark Macrae....and
4th is a great friend....Pat Roche.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Collect Polynesian art, particularly works of John Kelly and Jacques Boullaire.
Have played sports all my life: baseball every second as a kid (lifelong Giants fan), track and football in high school, UCLA oarsman. Used to do alot of backpacking in California Sierras in my younger days. Presently train Kyokushin Karate. Started two years ago. Watch out! I am one tough geriatric.
Love old jazz (20's and 30's), 50's and 60's Rock (and Roll), Hawaiian music, Effin' Ceilidh music. Black and White movies - TCM Rocks! Read mostly non-fiction: military history, surveying and mapping books, baseball books. Last book read: Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.
Have always loved travelling. Highlights: Israel for two months in 1963, China in 1980, honeymoon (for real) in Antarctica in 2003. Next up: a voyage to England on the Queen Mary in April.

It ain't Hawaii. The bride and me, Elephant Island, Antarctic Peninsula, 2003

Old 02-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Traveling across the States just to see a live concert.
Jazz. Collecting Jazz LP's.
Writing and Reading.
Unhealhy obsession with the Red Baron.
Cooking and Dating.

DJ

Old 02-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Like Joe Jones, I spend a great deal of time fishing.

Having lived in both Maine and Massachusetts, I have been fortunate to live by the ocean most of my adult life, and been done a lot of saltwater as well as freshwater fishing. I also have made my surfcasting rods since the early 1980s. Here's a few of my favorite catches:

Beautiful Brown Trout, Clay's Pond, Fryeburg, Maine

Beautiful Male Brook Trout caught on the first fly I tied

Large Sea-run Brown Trout, Kennebunk, Maine

Patrick

Old 02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

1) 19th Century Detroit Baseball numeral uno
2) Racing & modifying cars for more HP, enjoy both straight line and open road racing, most often in a turbo Stealth
3) Coins, have nearly full run of 1887 coins (11 denominations in gold, silver, & copper).
4) College Football, heavily influenced by my wifes season tickets to the Oklahoma Sooners (even though we live in MI)

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

-Going to as many Giants (SF) games as possible;
-Playing 2B in a city softball league;
-Trying to keep my swing straight on the links;
-Teaching a night class at the local law school;
-Cooking and trying new restaurants and wineries;
-Drinking Ketel One and Tonics
-Walking the dog!

Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Williams

I play soccer 3 days a week indoor over lunch at the Y.

I play rec league indoor soccer in the winter, outdoor rec league in the summer, plus softball.

I ref soccer, and coach my kids soccer teams.

In a word, I'm a soccer fanatic.

U.S. vs. Japan this Sunday at 11 ET.....

Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

very rarely (and i mean rarely) will you find an authentic roman sword that does not have patina or rust, if there is any type of "shine" to it, its more than likely a fake, the romans from what i understand did not polish swords they were mass produced for the thousands upos thousands of legionaires. if the sword was complete and had a nice green or brown patina covering the entire sword, 2k is about right for a show since they are hard to find that way, most items like that are in museums or private collections, the ones you see more often are from small collectors selling them through auction houses or shows to bring more money, most will have rust throughout 90% or more of the dagger or blade and have very little patina, i've only seen about 20 or so daggers and swords that did not have any rust at all and most range between $500-$1500 so that $2k wasnt too bad....there is a private collection in england that occassionally will sell off a few pieces but usually are steep, i'll see if i can find the site and get back to you
pete

Old 02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Wow dr. What a GREAT thread. 43 responses in less than 4 hours. You've really tapped into something here, haven't you?

J

Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

Well, aside from collecting cardboard, I:

1) Play my drums and am a percussion instructor!

2) I'm also a middle school track coach, so here's a picture of me from my running days about 5 years ago:

3) I've also been known to swing a golf club, play euchre, hearts, spades, and hand and foot, and even play bridge!!

Jimi

Old 02-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

with the national show coming up in a few months, it'd be nice to know a little about everyone besides "i collect ty cobb only" or "i'm a chicago blacksox player collector", i plan on attending and looking forward to meeting everyone !

Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

My wife and I are the full time staff for our two house cats, Einar and Gracie.

Baseball cards are the only hobby I really have time for, other than walking and reading. We both have bad backs so some of the activities others have mentioned here would be fatal for us!

If I had the time and the skills, I would build a model railroad. I'm also interested in genealogy. Both sides of my family are well documented. I'm part of the 11th generation of American Babcocks since the first one arrived here in 1641 in Westerly, Rhode island. The other side, the Andersons, arrived in New York from Norway in 1882, pre Ellis Island. No ball players in the lot.

I probably listen to music less often than most since music is my career, but I do have a pretty good collection of vinyl (jazz, classical, filmscores).