NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro vs. Robert Edward Results....

Posted By: Aaron M.

I (and I'm sure many others on this site) received Robert Edward Auctions "thank you" e-mail summarizing their auction results: $4.5 Million. Mastro had previously sent their "thank you" a few days ago with a total of $11 Million.

What I find astounding is that Robert Edward achieved its $4.5 Million on just 873 lots, while Mastro achieved its $11 Million on 1,869 lots. That means that REA, in it's first auction in its current format, almost matched Mastro dollar for dollar per lot ($5,150 average price per lot for REA vs. $5,885 per lot for Mastro).

Considering Mastro was at the height of its dominance when these results occurred, I would not be at all surprised to see REA overtake Mastro with per lot average the next time out, with the potential to overtake Mastro's sales if REA decides to offer more lots.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Halleygator

I liked the REA format a lot better than Mastro's...

but I would REALLY prefer to see one of them LOWER their buyer's premium to 10% and CORNER THE MARKET!!

Old 05-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Bob

"....LOWER their buyer's premium to 10%"

I strongly agree of this

Honestly, I don't see much bidding method diff between Mastro and REA. I know REA offered a so-called Honest Auto-Bid. But I assume Mastro would not bid up our max bids that we put into their system anyways (unless Rob Lifson knows Mastro has been doing that and that's why he decided to leave Mastro since he knows that would be a potential bomb).

However, I do like REA didn't use the 10% incremental bid method that has been widely used in public auction houses.

What I am saying is the next bid of $1500 is $1600 (instead of $1650) would make me feel I could save $50 if I put the next bid in

Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

While I prefer the Robert Edwards bidding increment system over Mastro it is actually just a step "across" as opposed to "up" since the buyer's penalty is 5% more.

One step forward, one step back. . .

Old 05-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I guess I have to say I like REA better because I actually won something there! I bid on NUMEROUS lots in both and won a couple in REA......I think they are basically comparable. I do think Seth (19thcenturyonly) has developed a really nice auction software that I think REA is using. It seems to work well and the 'slowness' was ironed out after the first few days. Having bid in and won items from REA prior to his incorporation into the Mastronet realm, this auction definitely was a top to those auctions as was the catalog quality and the quality of items in the auction. I think Rob will definitely generate much more vintage 19th and 20th century cards than will the Mastronet group but time will tell.....I too would like to see 10% buyers premiums but with cutting some premiums on the sellers side as I'm sure both of them do to get the quality material, I'm sure we'll (the buyers) shoulder much of the burden of printing $10 to $20 catalogs that are probably sent to 10,000 to 15,000 bidders. Not a cheap endeavor for the high quality reference guides that they are.......