NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2023, 05:05 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Cracking graded cards

I was wondering what kind of tool the grading companies use to crack open a graded card? I'm sure they don't do it the way I do with a screwdriver and a hammer ! Also wonder how other member do it ?

the reason I crack open my cards is that I store and display them in binders.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:42 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A couple of years ago, I did a quick cracking out video tutorial. It's only about 3.5 minutes long. Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvzyfNcIVM

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:15 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I was wondering what kind of tool the grading companies use to crack open a graded card? I'm sure they don't do it the way I do with a screwdriver and a hammer ! Also wonder how other member do it ?

Jolly's tutorial is how to do it.

I've cracked all my graded cards, and like you, I store and display mine in binders.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Glyn Parson

Sgc I just use a spoon or box cutter old sgc you can sometimes do with no tools
At all . PSA I clip off a corner and use a screw driver. Same with Beckett.

Last edited by glynparson; 11-30-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Ben North

On SGC and older PSA slabs I use a knife in the corner and they pop apart easily. On the newer PSA slabs I break most of the outer lip off and then pry apart. The first couple of the new PSA slabs snapped apart easily with a few twists.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:44 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post

For your original question, I would assume they use a machine to open the slabs, but what kind or method is a trade secret.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:19 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Sgc I just use a spoon or box cutter old sgc you can sometimes do with no tools
At all . PSA I clip off a corner and use a screw driver. Same with Beckett.
Pretty much the same for me.

I leave a few pre-war cards in slabs since they are not part of sets and I don't want any more damage/wear than they already may have. For my sets ('57->'80) I always popped them and put them in binders. Always.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Can PSA tell now if more recently graded but cracked out cards have been graded before?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:19 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Can PSA tell now if more recently graded but cracked out cards have been graded before?
I think we always wonder about that.

At the same time, given their demonstrated capabilities when it comes to actually delivering their core service, it’s hard to imagine that they’ve figured out how to really discover if they’ve seen a card previously.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Yes they can and they always accurately grade cards. I believe both are urban myths.
Old 11-30-2023, 09:41 PM
Frank Wakefield

What raulus said... +1 to that.

I doubt they'd figure it out if I sent a liberated card back in to be entombed again, and with the card I sent a "before" picture showing the card in the slab, along with the slab bits and the grade slip.

I have wondered if they do or one day will put a uv number on each card they grade for future reference... but that would be damaging / altering the card, wouldn't it??

Another worry I have is when a graded T card's slip misidentifies the back. Did they really make that obvious mistake, or might there be two T cards stacked together there... and if it's the latter, is the back of the top card damaged and the front of the bottom card damaged.

Methinks too many people put way too much faith in grading companies.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
What raulus said... +1 to that.

I doubt they'd figure it out if I sent a liberated card back in to be entombed again, and with the card I sent a "before" picture showing the card in the slab, along with the slab bits and the grade slip.

I have wondered if they do or one day will put a uv number on each card they grade for future reference... but that would be damaging / altering the card, wouldn't it??

Another worry I have is when a graded T card's slip misidentifies the back. Did they really make that obvious mistake, or might there be two T cards stacked together there... and if it's the latter, is the back of the top card damaged and the front of the bottom card damaged.

Methinks too many people put way too much faith in grading companies.
My guess would be it's technologically possible, either by a super detailed scan with the database making the match, or some invisible harmless mark. But I am guessing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-30-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:34 AM
Mark

I'm having an existential problem. My entire collection is raw, but I finally finished my 1952 low number set with a PSA 1 Mays.

Do I crack a $2,600 card to make it raw and get it right with my binders? Or do I keep it sealed?
Old 12-01-2023, 09:46 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I'm having an existential problem. My entire collection is raw, but I finally finished my 1952 low number set with a PSA 1 Mays.

Do I crack a $2,600 card to make it raw and get it right with my binders? Or do I keep it sealed?
Crack it! That's a good thing about ones, you're never gonna make it less than a one.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:02 PM
Chris

I cracked mine for the same reason as you and never regretted it. I cracked a Jackie and Campy 52 Topps as well. Crack away!

Quote:

Completed deals with: mybuddyinc, The Nasty Nati, Cory, Moose Dog, iwantitiwinit, OhioCardCollector, Thromdog, t206kid, dacubfan, obcmac, Harliduck, gorditadogg, oldjudge, npa589, Luke, bigfish, wazoo, TedZ, mrreality68, Lobo Aullando, 53toppscollector, volplaya8, Kris19, Baseball*Collectables, cammb
Old 12-01-2023, 12:18 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I opt to set many of my entombed cards free. I use a combination of heavy duty cutters and a small flat blade screwdriver. I snip off the top corners and then work the screwdriver into the escape holes and tweak the plastic apart.

It is great to see a card take its first breath of clean air after all that time being cooped up.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:19 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:

Open it up and let him rightfully join his spot in the binder.

JMHO

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:54 PM
Fred

Darren - respect! Gotta hand it to you, that was fun to watch.

Wow - cracked a '68 Topps Mays PSA8!

I'd be so paranoid of screwing up a card like that.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Darren - respect! Gotta hand it to you, that was fun to watch.

Wow - cracked a '68 Topps Mays PSA8!

I'd be so paranoid of screwing up a card like that.
The saddest part of it all is, after wiping away the wax/gum gunk (which took merely seconds and didn't cause any damage), I sent it off to PSA in Bobby's group sub...and it only came back a 7!!!!!!!!!! The same exact card, but slightly 'better,' got a lower grade!!!!!

This whole grading thing is witchcraft!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:14 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
No, they cannot. I crack and resubmit cards every month. I almost never get the same grades. Even cards with very recent certs.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The saddest part of it all is, after wiping away the wax/gum gunk (which took merely seconds and didn't cause any damage), I sent it off to PSA in Bobby's group sub...and it only came back a 7!!!!!!!!!! The same exact card, but slightly 'better,' got a lower grade!!!!!

This whole grading thing is witchcraft!!!
You should expect every card with an old cert to regrade lower today. At least by 1 grade, and often by 2 full grades or more.