NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default mike wheat grading?

Posted By: scott

following along the lines of the gar miller thread...how's mike wheat for grading?

thanks,
scott

Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

uncomplimentary things about him--as I once did, and I think it was about grading, but I'm not sure.

Not very helpful, sorry.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

...also his prices?
scott

Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Mike is anywhere from right on to and full grade or grade and a half too generous. I did buy e90-1's of Bender and Joss from him that were graded VG on the site and came back VG 40 from SGC. One thing to watch for is for back damage on some cards - I have purchased a few cards from Mike that turned out to have small areas of paper loss or erased writing that was not stated on his site. If you don't want to go through the hassle of returns, be sure to email about the back and you will get an answer promptly.

Despite occasional overgrading, however, Mike is always a pleasure to deal with. I have returned things to him several times without any complaint from him at all. I will be buying from him for years to come and have no reservations about doing so.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Each has met my specs for the listed grade and each has in fact come back from SGC with the same grade.

edited to state: I did not mean to leave a negative pregnant implying my dissatisfaction with cards other than mid-grade; I've simply not purchased anything from him but mid-grade stuff.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Not that I have bought a ton of stuff from him, but I have bought a few significant things over the years and he has always responded promptly and favorably to my requests for additional scans and/or information.

My most recent buy was a Colgan's Honus Wagner with a bit of back damage and he was very open and honest about the condition and sold it to me for a price that I considered commensurate to the condition.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: will watson

"he reads the board, and doesn't like it when you say uncomplimentary things about him"

then he should probably learn how to grade his cards in accordance with long standing hobby grading guidelines.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

even for ME, and I'm used to getting ripped off.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1105924873

Old 08-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I disagree with Julie,ive bought alot of cards off Mike and his prices arent that bad,especially comapred to what we've all seen Julie pay for cards over the years Mike is no where near that bad and saying something like that might be a reason he didnt appreciate your comments the first time.

Julie will tell you shes known for paying what she wants for cards(that includes overpaying alot) and alot of people here know that so saying Mike charges alot even for you is very insulting towards him. His prices are fair and may be 10% more than what you might get on ebay at times but his grading is very close to accurate and hes willing to take returns and describe the cards to you thru email like Kevin said.Last time i ordered cards from him i bought 7 and 2 were slightly overgraded,3 were right on and 2 were undergraded.

Hes definitely someone i would recommend dealing with.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Administrator

I do NOT consistantly get ripped off.

The reason I didn't go to the National is that i didn't have enough money to make it worthwhile.

The question was asked, what have your experiences been with Mike Wheat, and I answered it honestly (ONLY after Will had come out and said something similar). I don't think I should be accused of insulting a dealer when I give an honest oppinion.

I am, by the way VERY tired of getting piciked on by John. What on earth did I ever do to you, John?

Old 08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I think his grading is good, but I would like to see images of the back of the cards on his auctions. If they're there I don't see them.

Otherwise I've been happy with them.

Bill

"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert"

Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

You werent getting picked on Julie,if thats considered me picking on you then you are very self-deprecating because i only repeated what you have said very often.

Me disagreeing with you on Mike Wheat is because i feel you were way off base and he doesnt deserve that.That also isnt me picking on you,thats me defending a reliable dealer who you made sound very bad.I didnt call you any names or personally criticize your spending habits.

I personally dont feel i did anything wrong towards you directly and if you still feel like i have after my explanation,please feel free to discuss it offline with me.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I have dealt with Mr. Wheat around 7-8 years, since I started collecting vintage. My only regret in dealing with Mike is my fault for not buying that VG/EX E90-1 Jackson for $1495 he had when I first started dealing with him!

Also, if you are not satisfied with the cards, simply send them back for a refund. You do not have to write a dissertation, like you do with Larry Fristch as to why you are returning merchandise!

Another great dealer (who grades very close to the grading companies) is Tom Witek. Tom, at one time, was the grader for Mike Wheat and is a great guy all around.

BTW - for those intersted in how Mike Wheat grades, I recently purchased some CJ's from him. I sent these to SGC and all of them but one came back exactly what Mike had them graded at (one came back a grade low - nobody can get them right every time).

Old 08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian

I bought 3 cards from him. He was dead on with one (even high end for its grade), and missed some very light wrinkling on one (which I kept anyway), and some minor paper loss on the other. I returned the paper loss card and he was very polite and accomodating. I will continue to buy from him and recommend. I think that most here would admit that we are a very anal and detailed bunch when it comes to cards and I think we should just expect dealers to consistently over grade or miss technical but catastrophic defects. I don't think you can blame others for our "disease". As long os the dealer is willing to always refund I think they are commendable. Mike's stuff is pricey, but I think it is fair. JMHO.

D

Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Iam not too keen on posting a pre war veteran time and time again. My best suggestion is that you check the return polocy for everyone that you buy from and judge from there.

Mike has a great site to check the front of all of his cards and he is patient enough to go through with any back questions that you may have. I have bought from him well over 10 yrs and never had one problem.

Good luck

Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

am very happy with his grading, prices are a little higher than normal but not rediculous, I've seen a lot worse (since I don't know everyone here yet, I wont mention names/user id) if you want/need a card he probably has it...

great refund policy but definitely get scans of the "non-pictured" cards, those are the ones that tend to be over-graded.

I'll continue to buy, he is by far the best dealer that I have dealt with on ebay.

pete-

Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I recently bought some t206 from him, and IMHO 4 or the 5 were short. I honestly don't think Mike had time to grade them and he bought a bad "batch" for resale. He has always been VERY friendly when it comes to refunds and is very decent to work with. Several cards I've bought from both him and Wayne Varner have come back from SGC HIGHER than advertised.

James

Old 08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I have been doing business with Mike for twelve years and have been satisfied with his service, pricing, etc. Grading is so subjective that a variance of one or two grades between a service and what a dealer states is fairly normal. As long as the dealer is willing to provide scans of the cards as Mike does, it is up to the buyer to decide if he/she is willing to accept the grade and pay the price.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator

thanks everybody and i look forward to doing business with him.
scott

Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I picked up a Triple Folder of Eddie Grant that Mike listed as VG ... I'm still trying to figure out why it didn't get an Ex-Mt. As for cards without scans, I never buy them. Mike seems to be scanning more of his lower price items, unlike Kit Young, who drives me crazy with his endless unscanned inventory that constantly clogs up my searches ... but that's another post.

As for Mike, I don't buy much from him — his prices are a bit high. But I do find deals from time to time, and he truly has been a pro when it comes to customer service.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

my buying experiences from Kit Young have not been positive. Consistently overgraded.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator

I ran a search on ebay for Mike's items and found "mikewheatcards" NARU'D? WTF??

Old 08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

try "mwcards"

Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrator

In other words, his prices are a bit high, he doesn't show you the back of the card till asked, and he doesn't always grade right, but he has an excellent return policy.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys and Julie,
I have nothing but good things to say about Mike. I have bought hundreds of T206's from him with little or no problem. Is his grading a little different than today's "slabbed" standards, maybe, but Mike will take returns without any hesitation, and is always a pleasure to deal with.
I hope you folks decide not to buy from Mike so I can have all of his new additions. Be well Brian