NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 AM

Default OT - Advice on tabletop football games

Hello all,
If you were going to introduce a teenager to a tabletop football game, which one would you recommend? I'm guessing it should be one that is basic enough to get started, but then be able to get more complex as they play more.
I have played almost all of the baseball games available, but have only ever played Strat-O-Matic football, and I'm not sure if it's the best option.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Mike Dugan

APBA has stepped up their game and it is very playable though a full season of cards is now very expensive.

They are about to release the 2015 NFL and top 12 or so college teams. The basic game is affordable at around $35.00 which I think gets you last year's Super Bowl teams and the top two college teams. The complete NFL card set is now $135.00! They have an abbreviated version of limited rosters but by all accounts it does not work well.

In my opinion APBA is much easier to play than Strat but the cost is getting tough. There are a few other choices and I have heard that a game called Second Season available at PLAAY.Com is pretty good and affordable. I think the team ratings and players are listed on a sheet with no individual play cards.

I think that perhaps the best game of all-time may have been Sports Action CFL football issued off and on from 1973-87. Really good but pretty obscure even for CFL fans.

Not much help her but I hope it gives you a couple of options to check out.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Tim C

Default Apba

Second vote for APBA, if I remember correctly, you can start fairly basic, then get more complicated. If you want to start with this, let me know, I could probably dig up my game and cards, if free works for you, they are yours. The teams aren't current, probably 10 or so years old.

Let me know if you are interested, and where in PA are you located? I am in central PA.

EDIT: I found a complete set of cards for the 2003 season, may have more, I can dig further if you are interested..

Tim

Last edited by tcornett; 09-03-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcornett View Post
Second vote for APBA, if I remember correctly, you can start fairly basic, then get more complicated. If you want to start with this, let me know, I could probably dig up my game and cards, if free works for you, they are yours. The teams aren't current, probably 10 or so years old.

Let me know if you are interested, and where in PA are you located? I am in central PA.

EDIT: I found a complete set of cards for the 2003 season, may have more, I can dig further if you are interested..

Tim
Tim and Mike, thanks so much for the input!
Tim,
That sounds great, I really appreciate the offer, and will take them.
I have lived in central PA my whole life, and currently live in DuBois.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.

Last edited by blackandgold; 09-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Tim C

Sounds good, PM me your address, and I will figure out how to send this to you on Tuesday.

Tim
Old 09-05-2016, 01:49 PM
ThreadKiller

Default Table top FB games

vintage 1960's-1970's era "Electric Football" games...there's something oddly cool about 'directing' the players using that crappy plastic little wheel-thingy to make the player pieces "do" what you want them to, and that sh!tty little pencil-point sized foam 'football' that would get vacuumed up whenever it was booted from the playing surface onto the carpet (never - EVER - to be seen again) has an unmistakable charm of its own, as does the cardboard stadium backdrop that had to be assembled/propped up to make the setting somewhat "realistic"

p.s. - I'm an unapologetic 50-something, and those were the freakin' days!

DS

Last edited by FourStrikes; 09-05-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

I'm a huge supporter of Strat-O-Matic. It can be as basic or as detailed as you want it to be.

The only problem for Football is that the retro seasons released through the game company only include 6 select teams for the board game. The computer game has them all.