NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
James

LOL sorry to have started such a storm. I wasn't intending to call out Richard Simon specifically..my comments were geared towards the hobby in general.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
What's with the inquisition here? Richard gave an answer, and just because it wasn't one of the one-word choices you want to pigeonhole him with, you get all pissy? This isn't a courtroom here and Richard isn't on the witness stand, so he can choose to answer you (or not) any way he sees fit. To me, your question sounds like more like a set-up for a follow-up slam than a question borne solely out of curiosity. Maybe I'm wrong, but your continued baiting of Richard isn't helping to change that.
If asking a simple yes or no question is pigeonholing then fine. Call it what you will. Either way the question wasn't out of line, it wasn't a "set-up" and it was hardly an inquisition.

I just think if you are going to use a public forum as your soap box then you should be open to some discussion. If he didn't want to answer publicly he could have done so privately. Instead he chose to respond with a sarcastic non-answer thereby prompting my response of, "Predictable". That's not "pissy" thats a proportionate response to sarcasm. Rather than leave it at that Richard decided to engage me further, with more sarcasm and rudeness. That's when I got pissy. Again a proportionate response. So really, who is baiting who? I commend the man for his passion to clean things up. His social skills are clearly another story. It's certainly his prerogative not to answer the question but no matter how many times Chris wants to tell me he did, I will be happy to point out that he did not.

Last edited by PhilNap; 01-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Very interesting and scary about the laser copies. But if the writer is so questioning of letters of authenticity, why does he so blindly believe the letters about the Kobe and Favre pieces being signed before eyewitnesses? How do we know that those letters are true?

Greg
I may have missed something in all these years but except for Ted Williams' son, nobody has questioned authenticity when a player forms his own company to authenticate his autographs as Favre did and nobody has questioned UD about authenticity.
If I am wrong here, please post it.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I may have missed something in all these years but except for Ted Williams' son, nobody has questioned authenticity when a player forms his own company to authenticate his autographs as Favre did and nobody has questioned UD about authenticity.
If I am wrong here, please post it.
If I remember correctly, the same book that called into question Upper Deck's multlple press runs of earlier year cards (IE Ken Griffey Jr.'s rookie card), also called into question Upper Deck Authenticated. I don't know if it's just rumor or not, but I have also heard that Upper Deck had rolls of their UDA authentication holograms stolen in the 90's. Additionally, it wouldn't be hard at all to take a real UDA jersey such as that Kobe, remove the real signed "number" from the back to use on a different jersey or to use in a "sting" (I'm not implying that was what happened here but it definitely at least needs to be considered), and have a replacement bogus signed number put in it's place. Just because jerseys are purported to be UDA pieces, they might in fact not be, at least the signature portions. Additionally, at least a couple if not more of UD's custom cuts have been called into question for good reason,

Willie Mays' Say Hey foundation comes to mind as a player who's hologrammed autograph has often been called into question. Brett Bro's, who had legit George Brett signings for years, have now been called into question because of a batch of autographs, that look nothing like previous George Brett autos , that they purportedly sent back to fill customers paid requests in late 2011

Those are the ones that seem to quickly come to memory. I'm sure I have more in my memory bank but it's not coming to me right now. Trying to recover from playing in my first 5 on 5 basketball league in over 10 years tonight. My body is not what it used to be, although there is more of it, LOL

Last edited by thenavarro; 01-30-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: correct a little spelling
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Mike Navarro

The creator of that pdf file has no clue regarding the Reagan autopen, or is ignoring the obvious. JSA is correct. It IS an autopen. Here's another one to show it:

The author makes some totally erroneous statements regarding the Reagan such as:

Erroneous statement : "An autopen signature is like a printed signature and is the same as printed text"

Fact: That is 100% incorrect. An autopen machine of that era holds a writing implement, IE, pen, marker, pencil, etc. and replicates the signature by using a matrix. The writing implement is held up and actually writes on the item that is receiving the autopen signature, it is NOT like printed text.

Erroneous statement "Autopens don't bleed through the paper"

Fact: Autopens quite frequently bleed through the paper because their is "ink", "marker", etc, being applied to an item. If the paper is porous enough for a human signature to bleed through, then an autopen signature done in the same type of ink, will bleed through as well.

Erroneous statement "Try printing with your printer, which is like the autopen process"

Fact: Printing with a printer is NOTHING like the autopen process

Erroneous statement "Things don't bleed through"

Fact: As indicated above, yes, autopens can bleed through, and frequently do.

Basically, the author's total analysis of the Reagan is wrong. I find it entertaining that he/she takes exception with the JSA rejection letter (which in a spirit of full disclosure does have several errors with it, but their conclusion is correct) when his/her analysis is full of similar type of inconsistencies . He/she let their bias against JSA, cloud their judgement on that item. Additionally, what proof does any of us have that every item that the writer claims was a copy, was in fact a copy?? I could take any item in my collection that I've had authenticated, post a story up on the web and say it was a copy and people would quote it as gospel. Autograph Alert has a very big axe to grind with PSA/DNA and JSA. You need to take EVERYTHING they say with a grain of salt.

I have no doubt that PSA/DNA and JSA frequently make mistakes. I've seen it with my own eyes and personally witnessed a lot of the politics of the autograph business, and it all involves around $$$, and Autograph Alert and it's contributors are not immune to their own questionable tactics when $$$ is involved.

If the author of the pdf can't even tell the difference between an autopen applied signature and a printed signature and/or believes they are the same as indicated with their erroneous statements, then how the heck are we to believe the rest of their analysis?? As mentioned in my post above, it's also possible the jersey number was switched out, but yet many believe the author. Does the author even know the difference between a laser copy and the originals. How do we know he/she actually didn't send the originals to get the certs? They would do themselves a big service if they would simply eliminate the portions of that pdf that apply to Reagan.

If someone blindly believes that story, then I can easily see how on the other hand there are those that blindly believe that PSA/DNA and JSA get it right every time (they don't and in my dealings with them, they've never claimed too).

Mike Navarro

Mike
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Richard Simon

This incident took place several years ago and the story was told to me by the person who did buy these items, someone well known in the hobby. I asked him for permission to use the story and his name but he did not want me to use his name here but told me to go ahead and tell the story.
Grey Flannel was auctioning in two separate lots signed typed letters of George W. Bush. They both had PSA COA's.
The letters were bought by my source. When he received them he did think something looked a bit strange. When he laid one letter on top of the other he could clearly and easily see that an autopen had been used to sign both letters. The authenticator at PSA who examined these could have easily done the same thing.
The letters were returned to Grey Flannel who immediately refunded the purchase price.
Mistakes can be made, of course. But to make this type of mistake just shows how hastily the work was done.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-31-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Mike Navarro

Here are some more athletes that have some issues in hologram distribution.

Stan Musial's Stan the Man - Have received an autographed rookie card back from them with the hologram not stuck to the card, but simply cut off their "roll" where you could basically peel it off and stick on anything and you could sign it "Mickey Mouse", and it would appear like an authenticated Stan the Man graph.

Larry Bird - Same issue as above

Bobby Orr's Great White North - Same issue as above

An athlete's hologram basically means nothing as far as rock solid authenticity.

Mike
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
What?? That is absurd. What does the union have against signed 3x5s?
I started a blog about my autograph experiences this past weekend and my first relevant blog entry was today and pertains to the above quote:

http://autographnation.blogspot.com/...rspective.html
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I remember seeing a few Roy Campanella rubber stamped items that had been psa/dna slabbed. I'll tell ya, the ebay seller flipped out on me royally when I pointed it out to him. He insisted that it was signed..