NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Scott

Default Disgraceful lier

The auction is OVER> I messaged this guy and told him it was NOT a real ball, no matter what his BS story is, and he should refund the money, if someone got it, after his lies below where he says how he got it.

Can ebay do anything after the fact?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Or, Richard, or someone, am I wrong/ ? I can't be THAT blind.

Last edited by GrayGhost; 05-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Scott

Just got this back. Hopefully someone can tell me if Im wrong?

Thank you for your critism, however as I stated, I obtained the signatures in person so I fail to understand your comment that the ball is stamped! I have a 100% positive feedback rating and pride myself on selling authentic quality items. Please refrain from contacting me again and please don't bid on anything I sell in the future. Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Can ebay do anything after the fact?
Yes, ebay can pull the listing even after the item has ended. If they do so, they will send an e-mail to the buyer advising them not to complete the transaction. If they have already sent their money, eBay won't automatically refund it, but if they paid with Paypal it should be relatively easy for the buyer to get their money back.

I've had this happen to me before, not for authenticity concerns, but because the buyer's (or seller's, if I was the one buying) Paypal account was compromised, so they just cancelled out all of their transactions. In one case, I had already received the item I paid for (so several days later) and was satisfied, so I just e-mailed the seller, found out what had happened, and let it slide.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Banned

besides the stamped look, no signatures touch each other, and that's quite a trick with that many sigs on the ball if it wasn't stamped.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
besides the stamped look, no signatures touch each other, and that's quite a trick with that many sigs on the ball if it wasn't stamped.
EXACTLY what I thought too. plus they r just too "neat" and all going in similar directions per panel, etc . He says he has great feedback and INSISTS he got it in person ? Yeah,

righto

Scott Rob.erts

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: name added to be fair
Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Looks like a facsimilie ball to me.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

...also says he can't make out the last two names, yet he got it in person?

Last edited by mr2686; 05-29-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:17 PM

I think the two "unreadable" names may be Dave Cash (on top, going one way) and Ramon Hernandez (on bottom, going the other).
Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Why wouldn't Roberto Clemente have been included if the ball was stamped?
What if its a 73 ? I don't know if the year is right anyways.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Bobw

It's a 1973 ball, Maxvill got traded to Pittsburgh in July 73
Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
It's a 1973 ball, Maxvill got traded to Pittsburgh in July 73
GREAT Detective work. This explains no Clemente and does NOT explain the fake. I tried reporting it, but couldn't find a description that matched close enough for a reason.

I don't want someone getting gypped, damn.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Easiest formula and the closest thing to a SURE thing in Autograph collecting;

No ball manufacturer + Signatuers = Stamped Stadium Ball

End of story.

Rhys Yeakley
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Richard Simon

100% facsimile ball.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Barry Sloate

One further thought: in order for him to have gotten this ball signed in person, he would have had to interact with each of the 26 different players. Wouldn't that have been incredibly difficult to do? How would a fan get every last player to be available and to cooperate?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Scott

The man is just an out and out lier. I got listing not available. He prob had trouble already. HOPE SO. I know some items remain up, and I checked completed listings too. So, hopefully its gone gone gonnnnnnnnnnne

Scott Rob.erts

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: name added to be fair
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Scott - Sharing your opinion is one thing, but making slanderous and defaming comments over the internet for the world to see by calling a reputable businessman a “disgraceful liar” and interfering with a private financial transaction that you are not a party to is going too far, inexcusable, and will not go unpunished. You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. It doesn’t matter at this point what your opinion is. You simply cannot make slanderous and defaming public comments about anyone’s character with the intent to cause harm and that is exactly what you have done. If you knew as much about the law as you do the history of this baseball you would have known that. Let this be a lesson to you. See you in court.

P.S. Thanks to all of you that sent emails tipping me off to this post.

Jeff Fitz.gerald

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: name added per rules
Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Barry Sloate

vegasangler needs to put his name out or shouldn't be allowed to post.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
vegasangler needs to put his name out or shouldn't be allowed to post.
taken care of.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasangler View Post
Scott - Sharing your opinion is one thing, but making slanderous and defaming comments over the internet for the world to see by calling a reputable businessman a “disgraceful liar” and interfering with a private financial transaction that you are not a party to is going too far, inexcusable, and will not go unpunished. You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else. It doesn’t matter at this point what your opinion is. You simply cannot make slanderous and defaming public comments about anyone’s character with the intent to cause harm and that is exactly what you have done. If you knew as much about the law as you do the history of this baseball you would have known that. Let this be a lesson to you. See you in court.

Jeff Fitz.gerald
Are you serious? I apologize. I don't want issues with court. I overreacted based on what you had sent me privately and such. You were VERY negative towards me on your reply. PLEASE I don't want any court issues, but the ball was an obvious stamp, and I got a bit uptight bout that.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Jeff Fitz.gerald
Jeff - what is the history of that baseball? You got that ebay pictured ball signed? Seemingly that is what it stated originally in your ad but I only saw pictures and no real info about the ball.
Word of advice to you - your case is pretty flimsy considering the ball is a facsimile baseball. You really want to spend thousands of dollars to retain a lawyer over a facsimile printed ball that you said was real?? (if that is what you said, I did not see that wording in your ad)
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-29-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Barry Sloate

As I stated in my earlier post, I would like to know how the seller got this signed in person. How did he get access to 26 different players? I'm sure that information would go a long way towards providing the necessary provenance collectors always want. Therefore, I have no doubt Jeff will tell us the story behind it.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
James Wymer

Vegas if you knew the law you would know that it cannot be slander if he is telling the truth. Since the ball is a facsimile and not signed as you stated everything he said is the truth. Pretty clear cut.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Scott S

Quote:
One further thought: in order for him to have gotten this ball signed in person, he would have had to interact with each of the 26 different players. Wouldn't that have been incredibly difficult to do? How would a fan get every last player to be available and to cooperate?
Barry, speaking to your question (and only your question), getting a ball signed by an entire team, esp. 40 years ago, wouldn't be all that tough.

Even during the 1980s, I would wait outside Fenway Park or at visiting teams' hotels and wait for the players to arrive at the park or leave from the hotel. Times were different, players were more accommodating to signing; I even had players sign a ball and hand it off to their waiting teammate to sign before they got in a cab. I have many balls from the mid 1980s signed by entire teams (25+ players) which I had done in person, so that part of the story is entirely plausible.

Scott
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Scott. Today it would be very difficult. Didn't know the players were that accommodating back then.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM

This is my final post regarding this matter.

Scott - You are free to share your opinion regarding the balls authenticity to anyone you choose, but there is a fine line between an opinion and an assault on someone’s character (as well as interfering in a business transaction) and you have crossed the line. Just because you didn’t like the tone of my response gave you no right to interfere in a private transaction that you are not a party to. You not only defamed me personally, but you have contacted eBay and the winning bidder and it’s costing me money to have my attorney set the record straight. You need to be accountable for your actions or it becomes precedence for others to engage in such malicious and illicit behavior.

Barry Sloate: Unfortunately, I no longer can defend the authenticity of the ball in a court of public opinion since this has become a legal matter. I will say that although I appreciate your opinion, it’s just an opinion. It’s incredibly bold of you or anyone else to take such a staunch position in absence of establishing your credentials, examination of the ball, review of the facts, or interviews with any of the witnesses. Perhaps I could have done a better job of explaining that more clearly in the listing, but it doesn’t warrant Scott’s actions.

James Wymer: The fact that Scott interfered in a private business transaction that he wasn’t a party to is grounds for legal action regardless of the truth. Defamation and/or slander is a separate allegation.

I mean no disrespect to anyone’s opinion or expertise on this site. Blogs like this serve a useful purpose when participants perform in a responsible manner.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Richard Simon

Jeff,
An $80 sale of a ball that everyone here believes to be a facsimile and you are bringing in your attorney????
I am speechless.
Six people on Net54 have expressed an opinion on this ball. All believe it to be a facsimile ball and to establish my credentials as you seem to need,, I have been an autograph dealer for 20+ years.

ps. considering the selling price of the ball, what do you think the ebay buyers believe?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's liar, with an "a" (not an "e"). Just correcting some spelling

Last edited by perezfan; 05-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- when it comes to autographs I have virtually no credentials, nor did I offer any kind of bold opinion. I only asked a question, and that was how you had access to the entire team.

But I too I am shocked that this has become a legal matter since your attorney's fees will far surpass the value of the ball. But it's a free country....
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
It's liar, with an "a" (not an "e"). Just correcting some spelling
I'm glad somebody other than me pointed it out....
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I'm glad somebody other than me pointed it out....
It just eats away at you after reading it over and over...
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Barry Sloate

It's like somebody scratching a piece of chalk across a blackboard....
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Especially when it resides in the title, and is meant to convey a powerful statement!

It's so jarring, that I have to give it shocked, angry, sad, and embarrassed faces. Impossible to pick just one...

Last edited by perezfan; 05-29-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Jeff,
An $80 sale of a ball that everyone here believes to be a facsimile and you are bringing in your attorney????
I am speechless.
Six people on Net54 have expressed an opinion on this ball. All believe it to be a facsimile ball.

ps. considering the selling price of the ball, what do you think the ebay buyers believe?
I, too, looked at that ball and in my opinion, is a facsimile.

Maybe Vegasangler can post a photograph of that baseball here. I remember that ball quite clearly and thinking immediately "that's an obvious facsimile."

If Vegasangler is 100% certain that his Pirates team-signed baseball is originally signed by the members of the Pirates, then he shouldn't have any problem posting a photograph of it here.

What I find very interesting is that Vegasangler got his legal team right on the case this (May 29, 2012) morning.

And if Vegasangler is serious about this issue, I want to remind Scott, that he can probably have Ebay retrieve the original listing.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
James Wymer: The fact that Scott interfered in a private business transaction that he wasn’t a party to is grounds for legal action regardless of the truth. Defamation and/or slander is a separate allegation.
I am not sure about that statement. If the ball is a facsimile than it has been misrepresented. If Scott did not break any laws in acquiring the party's contact information I would imagine he is allowed to contact them and express his opinion. Then the buyer can determine, if he should go through with the transaction or cancel the sale based upon the item being misrepresented.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Richard Simon

The ball sold for $80, ebay buyers knew it was a facsimile.
Seven people on Net54, most of them experienced autograph people, expressed the opinion that it is a facsimile baseball.
Case closed.
Verdict for the defendant.
Full attorney fees awarded to the defendant.
Jeff that means you are out about $30K. all for an $80 ebay sale.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Did you ever notice?

Hi guys, Did you ever notice that when someone makes an honest mistake and they are made aware of it, they come on the board and admit it, but when they get caught with their fingers in the till they deny, threaten, and try to intimidate?

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:

Jeff Fitz.gerald
This guy is a douche..The ball is not real. case closed. Doubt we see this guy here again...Anxious to see if Ebay does anything about his misrepresentation.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Christopher Williams

I have a fairly good memory, and if my memory serves me correctly, one of the statements in the auction description read "This ball has 26 authentic player signatures in blue ink...."
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Richard Simon

The guys selling history consists of $20-$40 fishing gear.
Guess a sale of $80 got him all excited.
--
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
I am not sure about that statement. If the ball is a facsimile than it has been misrepresented. If Scott did not break any laws in acquiring the party's contact information I would imagine he is allowed to contact them and express his opinion. Then the buyer can determine, if he should go through with the transaction or cancel the sale based upon the item being misrepresented.
The discussion and the threat involved slander. Slander is never about a truthful statement.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Isn't slander verbal? I think libel is what we would be talking about here.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Isn't slander verbal? I think libel is what we would be talking about here.
Either way it still involves untruths and not truthful statements.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Either way, I really don't think Scott has anything to worry about.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

In general, there are four defenses to libel or slander: truth, consent, accident, and privilege. The fact that the allegedly defamatory communication is essentially true is usually an absolute defense. I think Lance is correct in his last statement.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Are you serious? I apologize. I don't want issues with court. I overreacted based on what you had sent me privately and such. You were VERY negative towards me on your reply. PLEASE I don't want any court issues, but the ball was an obvious stamp, and I got a bit uptight bout that.
Isn't this enough? The man apologized!!! Do you really need a pound of flesh for such a little offense?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
In general, there are four defenses to libel or slander: truth, consent, accident, and privilege. The fact that the allegedly defamatory communication is essentially true is usually an absolute defense. I think Lance is correct in his last statement.
I think the time and trouble to be right is the problem. I agree Scott has nothing to fear in a short day in court, but I find it hard to believe that Jeff would be so anxious to jump in the fire over misguided principles that will cost him a lot of money. I am not an autograph expert as others on the board, but the neat arrangement of signatures is something I have only seen on facsimile balls. Signatures should overrun each other and go in all sorts of directions. In my opinion.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

James, I was thinking more of the old saying "a barking dog rarely bites," rather than evaluating Scott's chances in court (which, as others have said, seem even less cause for concern).

I might also add that it was eBay and not Scott who pulled the listing. Ebay has a system in place for reporting suspected fraud, and can choose to act on those reports or not, with or without supporting evidence (in fact, in many of the report forms, there is no way to add supporting evidence, hence the confusion with which checkbox option was appropriate to this situation). We will never know if it was Scott's report or someone else's that tipped them off, as they don't even reveal that information to the person making the report.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 05-29-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
James Wymer

Great point Lance and with that said I am out!!!