NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Alex

Default What is the future for unopened packs?

Hey everyone, I was thinking about collecting unopened packs. There are a lot of discussions out there about this topic but a large amout of them are outdated. Just wanted to try to stir up a conversation and maybe learn something new. I know many packs are resealed and The Baseball card Exchange is probably the most reputable dealer of unopened packs. I was wondering about the packs on ebay and grading. Is it worth taking a risk of buying sealed packs on ebay from a seller with 100% feedback? If I sent in to grading should I send to GAI or PSA? Ive heard PSA cases damage the pack but GAI is known to grade resealed packs from time to time. So which one is better, or is it better to leave it ungraded?

Also, what about modern packs? I know some product is expensive in particular 03-04 Basketball and early 2000 wax for Baseball. Will Modern product ever be in such a high demand as vintage, as it becomes harder to find? Unopened wax is an interesting area of Sports Cards to collect that often does not receieve the publicty that it should. What do fellow collectors think about unopened packs?

Alexander
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Marc S.

Default The future

Why buy from an untrusted seller? Even with 100% feedback, you're playing with fire. If you don't know the person you're buying from, I would simply stay away. Too much downside for risk.

I didn't think GAI still existed. There are a lot of complaints about PSA's gasket and the damage in shipping. I'd say graded is likely better at some break point in collecting time -- perhaps 1973 and before.

As for modern packs, there are a few key issues to consider:
A) Grading likely won't help for anything 2000 and after. Usually I'd only recommend unopened boxes because of the seeded lottery mentality of such product.
B) Redemptions. In so many products, it has a long term issue on value. Why have an unopened box of 2001 Bowman Chrome, for example, knowing that a Pujols pull is impossible?
C) Variety. There's literally dozens of different sets being produced each year now. Collecting tastes will continue to evolve, and it is not clear which sets may stand the test of time. Moreso given the notion that the area where most valuation is today is in the lottery mentality of a few hits per box with the remainder largely throwaway. To the extent that continues, singles may continue to spark interest in a way that unopened does not.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 AM

May I recommend "fun bags" that Donruss & Topps produced in the 1970s-1980s? No chance of resealing packs that are still in bags!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Alex

philliesphan many good points, as for GAI I found this article online:
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/c...bal-authority/
I think I will try buying unopened packs on ebay and getting them graded and if they were altered see if I can get my money back, its worth a try. As for modern packs, it is too hard to tell which years will be more collectible then others but in general very little modern boxes are left unopened and its hard to come by any sealed boxes so the demand is there IMO.
Orioles1954 I didnt know fun bags exisited, I did a quick search and there not to common and they do go for a good amount of $ at times.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Buying unopened raw packs on ebay, getting them graded, and then trying to get your money back when they are rejected is a long shot. You may get a few thru, but I suspect you'll end up with worthless packs and no refund.
It takes at least 30 days if not more to get packs graded, and in a lot of cases the people selling raw packs are resealers who will not stand behind their product.
If you want to start an unopened collection go slow, buy legit, graded packs, and learn as much as you can about what to look for.
You'll pay a bit more buying from Steve Hart but you're virtually 100% certain of getting a legit pack.
Stick to "finds" that flood the market temporarily and drive down prices- '64 Topps Standup penny packs are the last such find, and prices are a fraction of what they were before the find and flooding of the market.
Cellos have proven to be especially problematic and extreme caution should be taken before the purchase of any, graded or not.
12 card grocery cellos from the '70's and Christmas rack packs are aftermarket creations and have no value.
A run of legit wax packs make for a great visual display, but a couple of bogus ones will really discourage you. Go slow, and don't be afraid to pay a bit more for peace of mind and good provenance. Nothing is more expensive than getting a deal that is too good to be true.
If you're buying modern I'd suggest full, sealed hobby boxes of Topps Heritage. Tough to go wrong there, especially if buying when they are issued.

Last edited by Griffins; 11-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Tags
baseball, basketball, football, pack, unopened