NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Default Why don't more people use reserves on eBay?

Posted By: David R

Other than the higher fees, is there any downside to setting a reserve for eBay auctions? For a rarer card that does not have a lot of available market data on value, does setting a reserve negatively affect the final price? Why don't more people use reserves? I'd love to hear some thoughts from eBay buyers and sellers.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

I can only speak for myself, but as a buyer I generally don't even bother with auctions that have reserves. My own (admittedly old fashioned) opinion is that if you want to sell your cards great - put up a webpage or open a store and do so - more power to you.

If you want to auction your item then there should be no reserve. The auction will determine what it is worth.

When I read people stating that they have put a reserve to "protect their investment", I chuckle usually - it just means that the person wants to guarantee selling the card for more than they paid for it.....ie the retail price is $1200 or I paid 1200, but for one week I'll run an auction to see if anyone will pay more than $1200. I hate it when people waste my time and I simply don't bother with those auctions.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

I don't bid on eBay auctions with reserves. If you want to take your item to auction, then you need to be willing to sell it for whatever the market brings.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

The bottom line is that sellers don't want to lose money and buyers, if they had their way, wouldn't pay more than ten cents for any item. You can use more flowery prose, but you would still be ultimately saying the same thing.

The "Buy it Now or Best Offer" can be a better alternative in these cases. Again, though, buyers refuse to make proper offers much of the time. I've placed high-end HOF autographed material on eBay using this feature, and the offers received were absolutely asinine. Any individual who thinks a seller would seriously consider on offer of $300 for a Ty Cobb 3X5 is moronic indeed.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: LetsGoBucs

I would respectfully disagree that buyers want to pay 10 cents for all items. I buy a lot of items at shows and through advertisements. Prices are stated and I can buy if I so choose. Sellers can set the price that they desire and if there is a match there is a sale

An auction is not a retail sale. And its far from moronic to have a sale of a Ty Cobb autograph (I have no idea what it is or isn't supposedly "worth") for $300. If on that day the highest bid is for $300 then that is what its worth. An auction should guarantee that there is a sale of that item on that day for whatever that marketplace will bear. Anything else isn't an auction (IMO).

Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I am no Ebay listing expert, but when I list a card, I like to put a BIN at slightly above market on the card. If I don't put a reserve on the card, then the BIN disappears when someone bids my minimum bid (which is usually $.99). My reserve is usually pretty low, but it gives the BIN at least a couple of days exposure.

I don't like high minimum bids, because I think that also discourages bidding, so maybe I should start a thread about high miminum bids.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Who cares if the auction has a reserve, or what the reserve is based on. The only thing that matters is what you want to pay for the card. All you do is click on an auction, enter a snipe bid, and you either win it or you don't.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

To set the record straight, I mostly agree with your initial thoughts on reserve auctions.

And FYI, the going rate for a Cobb 3X5 is far more than $300. If you see one offered at that price, STAY AWAY! The chances are 99.9% toward its being fake. You don't sound like you have any interest in autographs. I'll put the scenario in card terms, then. If you were selling a PSA 1 T206 Plank on eBay at, say, $20,000 OBO, and somebody made an offer of $1000, wouldn't YOU be offended? You know its actual value is in the $20K range. It's not worth $1000 as opposed to $20K simply because that was the highest offer received in a forum where buyers don't care to pay the going rate.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

A reserve costs money.

Plus what everyone else so ably said.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Jodi,

I can only speak for myself, but in your scenario I would not take offense I'd just say "Hell no, not even close". Getting offended accomplishes zippo.