NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Is any of this proprietary? Camera, blacklights, and zooming are nothing new. What would keep PSA or SGC from adding this to their service for half your price (and if they do, I want a cut!! It was my idea to add it!! ). I would say that people trust these well established companies far more than your new start up.

How about this scenario. Buy one of your wonderfully secure PSA 9 cards. Get it home, get rid of sticker, crack the slab, add my not so wonderful PSA 7 and resell without your little sticker. I do not care how secure you think it is, without that little sticker and number on the slab, it means nothing. The only thing that would happen is my buyer would then submit it to you and cry foul. But by then I am long gone...(by the way...people know me here and know I would never do this but this is not something way out of bounds)...

One more thing...your Comparative Arbitration idea is misguided...you are essentially charging people a small fee to see if you made a mistake or it was tampered with. If you services are so great...why would you even need this and for a fee no less.

So again...I say...

Really?

Joshua

Last edited by Wite3; 11-11-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Is any of this proprietary? Camera, blacklights, and zooming are nothing new. What would keep PSA or SGC from adding this to their service for half your price (and if they do, I want a cut!! It was my idea to add it!! ). I would say that people trust these well established companies far more than your new start up.

How about this scenario. Buy one of your wonderfully secure PSA 9 cards. Get it home, get rid of sticker, crack the slab, add my not so wonderful PSA 7 and resell without your little sticker. I do not care how secure you think it is, without that little sticker and number on the slab, it means nothing. The only thing that would happen is my buyer would then submit it to you and cry foul. But by then I am long gone...(by the way...people know me here and know I would never do this but this is not something way out of bounds)...

One more thing...your Comparative Arbitration idea is misguided...you are essentially charging people a small fee to see if you made a mistake or it was tampered with. If you services are so great...why would you even need this and for a fee no less.

So again...I say...

Really?

Joshua
The hologram that is applied to the capsule when the card is registered has the web page printed on it, so it is really applied more as a matter of convenience to show that it is registered and for quick reference.

All that any potential card purchaser needs to do is go to the cfreg.com web site and search for the grading company's assigned serial number, which is printed right on the informational flip. If the card is found as registered, you just caught perpetrator in the act and saved yourself some grief.

If you purchased the card first, then suspected fraud, you could send it to us for a comparative arbitration which would compare the suspect card to the one that was originally registered. You would receive a report which would conclude that the card was a different card that what was registered and you would have a case to recoup your loss with forensic evidence to back it up.

Which mistake are you referring to Joshua? We are not making any judgements in the process of registering the card, we're just recording its forensic properties.

As we said yesterday. this is a service that will take time to be learned and accepted. The holographic label is a convenience - ANY GRADED CARD that you are purchasing should be searched for on the cfreg.com site first as a regular practice. Not checking would be like buying a dozen eggs and not checking if any were broken. It really just comes down to a culture of common sense. We are giving the hobby a reference tool to use that's free... why not leverage it?

So the answer is... yes, really :-)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Rich Klein

Default Changing the subject slightly

I remember in the late 1980's or early 90's when a hobby "hanger-on" came into the shop I was managing at that time and talked about his concept about authenticating the autograph immediately after it was signed at a card show. His idea was to have the table next to the player as he was signing and then authenticate that the signature was signed at the show,.....
Remember this is 1988-89-90 and we at that time all thought that idea was ludicrous, remember how many shows there were and how many players signed (and not all were superstars by any means). Well flash forward 20 years and the concept of having your show signed autograph authenticated on the spot is a normal course of doing business now.
So, without making any comments on this man's business, which I did not study, I will say that many times ideas which sound silly to us today are commonplace tomorrow.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 11-11-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Another new service

Hi, I am starting a new service. After your cards are graded, and after they have been sent to the new CFR company, send your cards to me and I will certify that the certifications are certified. I will then send the cards to another company (my brother in law), that will certify that I have certified the previous certifications. All certifications will be accompanied by a Certification of Certification letter, and a photo of my brother in law and I performing the certifications. (Not sure yet if we will be clothed or naked). We will also use duct tape to seal the card to prevent tampering. (Thanks, Red Green!).

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi, I am starting a new service. After your cards are graded, and after they have been sent to the new CFR company, send your cards to me and I will certify that the certifications are certified. I will then send the cards to another company (my brother in law), that will certify that I have certified the previous certifications. All certifications will be accompanied by a Certification of Certification letter, and a photo of my brother in law and I performing the certifications. (Not sure yet if we will be clothed or naked). We will also use duct tape to seal the card to prevent tampering. (Thanks, Red Green!).

Rick
That's the funniest post I've seen in quite some time. If I was drinking while reading, I would be cleaning my screen right now. Certification of Certification letter, hysterical!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Rick
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectors Forensics Reg View Post
SNIP...as we said yesterday.
The anonymity is concerning. May have missed it, I dont see a signature on any of their posts. Okay, I give up who is this guy? (these people)

Yours idea may have a place in our shady hobby, though certainly not with my beaters. Again, why so aloof? Steve, Boston
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Rick
Yeah! And let's get some new investors to pay into the system. We can use their money to pay the existing investors. I figure we can offer 20% interest in 30 days, no problemo. That should really make it fly!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
The anonymity is concerning. May have missed it, I dont see a signature on any of their posts. Okay, I give up who is this guy? (these people)

Yours idea may have a place in our shady hobby, though certainly not with my beaters. Again, why so aloof? Steve, Boston
Steve, they're so damned good, forensics is their middle name.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Bruce Babcock

Default Revolutionizing the Hobby AKA Who Are Those Guys?

If, for example, three guys decided to write a book on The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company, I would be a lot more likely to purchase the book sight unseen if their names were on the book jacket, and I recognized the names as credible voices on the topic. I'm just saying.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Writing a hardcover, full color, baseball card book about players no one ever heard of----now there's a dumb business model!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

I can see some long term benefit, but I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it.

For a long time I've had misgivings about encapsulating cards. Some may be ok long term because the paper isn't particularly acidic, like T206s. Other cards like most anything from the 50's may be degraded by being encapsulated. some of the holders do breathe a bit, but I don't know if the holders breathe enough. The acid gets retained, and accelerates the process of the cardboard degrading. MAYBE. Having a detailed record of a cards exact condition at a particular time could be interesting several years from now.

And just maybe for very expensive cards it might be comforting to a collector/investor with money but little experience to know that the cards is the same at the time of purchase as it was when it was recorded. Grading itself was pretty controversial when it was new, but now it's accepted and nearly required for some cards. (Just as expertising certificates are for some stamps)

To return to a bit of levity, a quick story about checking eggs.

Customer 1 (me) checking eggs for cracks
customer 2 "Should you be touching the eggs like that?"
Customer 1 Lady, it came out of a chickens backside. My fingers shouldn't be a concern.
Customer2 Oh.........

Steve B
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Another service that I can ignore with impunity...

Last edited by judsonhamlin; 11-11-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: better idea
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Joann

I don't know about the exact details of the business set-up, but I think I do see some merit in the idea.

I've been on these boards a long time, and I can't imagine how many times I've seen people trying to figure out the history of a card in an auction. Some eagle-eyed auction browser will spot a card and speculate that it may or may not be the same card that used to be in this or that holder with this or that different grade and sold for $X in some past auction. It is very common for people to start trying to backtrack a particular card and confirm something about previous grading or other history. Ususally they are trying to spot little aritifacts on the card - slight stains, tiny paper pulls, etc - and match them up to blurry scans and things like that.

I've also seen it suggested many times that grading companies scan cards as they come in to help keep registries straight as cards are cracked and resubmitted, expose fraud if someone wants to do their own reholdering, identify alterations, etc. It's always been agreed that it doesn't seem feasible for the graders to do that.

So I think it could be useful to have an online archive of graded cards with dates, companies, grades, serial numbers and very detailed images. One spot where you could try to find an image and confirmed grade/company for many cards. I would bet I see it referenced on this board eventually as cards are logged and posted and someone here recognizes the same card in different clothing in a different auction.

I also think it could be a valuable link for ebay sellers that don't have the time or equipment to post detailed 50x scans.

As to the business model, pricing, target audiences, etc, I don't know how well that will go. But I definitely see some usefulness in the overall idea.

Joann
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
M!ke S@il£r

Where was this company about 3 years ago during the 1930 Goudey Ruth debacle?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
I don't know about the exact details of the business set-up, but I think I do see some merit in the idea.

I've been on these boards a long time, and I can't imagine how many times I've seen people trying to figure out the history of a card in an auction. Some eagle-eyed auction browser will spot a card and speculate that it may or may not be the same card that used to be in this or that holder with this or that different grade and sold for $X in some past auction. It is very common for people to start trying to backtrack a particular card and confirm something about previous grading or other history. Ususally they are trying to spot little aritifacts on the card - slight stains, tiny paper pulls, etc - and match them up to blurry scans and things like that.

I've also seen it suggested many times that grading companies scan cards as they come in to help keep registries straight as cards are cracked and resubmitted, expose fraud if someone wants to do their own reholdering, identify alterations, etc. It's always been agreed that it doesn't seem feasible for the graders to do that.

So I think it could be useful to have an online archive of graded cards with dates, companies, grades, serial numbers and very detailed images. One spot where you could try to find an image and confirmed grade/company for many cards. I would bet I see it referenced on this board eventually as cards are logged and posted and someone here recognizes the same card in different clothing in a different auction.

I also think it could be a valuable link for ebay sellers that don't have the time or equipment to post detailed 50x scans.

As to the business model, pricing, target audiences, etc, I don't know how well that will go. But I definitely see some usefulness in the overall idea.

Joann
Thanks very much for the post Joann. A little history on our model... it is the product of about eight month's worth of enumerating the issues that we felt were effecting the hobby in a less than positive manner. We then applied solutions to each issue. In some cases one solution addressed several issues and in other cases several solutions were required to correct one issue.

We drew from our experiences of over 100 years, collectively, in the hobby and have also leveraged our professional backgrounds in Regulatory Technology and Enforcement (on Wall Street) and Memorabilia Sales / Authentication to deliver a service that would enable sellers while protecting buyers. We also felt that it would deter fraud while developing a self-governance through a single source with easily accessed forensic information. It is a new culture and a new paradigm, so we understand that it's something that will take a little time.

It's clear that you have been able to see the big picture Joann, and have looked through to the other side :-) This is vacuum that simply needs to be filled. To address your last statement about pricing, we offer "10 card" registration packages starting at $75 which includes free shipping and insurance back to the registrant. However, we are always open to suggestions and welcome your input.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Joann-What you are suggesting only works if all vintage cards are scanned into an accessable data base. This is not going to happen unless it is done at the grading company levels into a shared, and open, data base. As described, it will not happen at the level of this company. This service does not benefit the current owner of the card, it only benefits future owners, begging the question of why a current owner would pay the cost. The only one I see paying for this service is someone who has already doctored a card and wants it to achieve some sort of legitimacy by appearing in the data base. This whole business model is a non-starter unless these guys approach the grading companies and offer to be the universal data base for images of all cards that they grade. They could charge a minimal fee that the grading companies pass along and make their money from people who want to access their data base later.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Matt Hall

Even if you figured out a way to make this service somehow useful to our hobby, I think you'll have a hard time getting people to pay $9 to essentially scan their cards.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Joann

Jay - I definitely agree that it works better if the database is strongly populated. But it has to start somewhere, IMO. Might as well here as anywhere.

And I don't know how the business model will go from a pricing standpoint - only that I see a big-picture value to the idea. I haven't looked at it closely enough to even understand and comment, really, but I will say offhand that it is easier for me to identify value to non-owners (as someone said, future owners, hobby watchdogs, maybe sellers, etc) than to current owners and targeted submitters.

Still an interesting idea if it can work.

J
Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sort of neutral

I am sort of neutral about it and mostly fall into the "do I really need it?" camp. That being said I am also a bit concerned about Lloyd (he is the original poster) claiming over 100 yrs experience (collectively) in the hobby and having never heard of WIWAG, Operation Bullpen, CAC or GAI's issues. I am sort of wondering what hobby the experience is in unless they have 100 guys with 1 yr of experience each. I always applaud thinking of new things and outside of the box so I applaud them for the undertaking and wish them luck. Time will tell. best regards
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't understand a company that touts their experience and doesn't tell you their NAMES.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Joann-What you are suggesting only works if all vintage cards are scanned into an accessable data base. This is not going to happen unless it is done at the grading company levels into a shared, and open, data base. As described, it will not happen at the level of this company. This service does not benefit the current owner of the card, it only benefits future owners, begging the question of why a current owner would pay the cost. The only one I see paying for this service is someone who has already doctored a card and wants it to achieve some sort of legitimacy by appearing in the data base. This whole business model is a non-starter unless these guys approach the grading companies and offer to be the universal data base for images of all cards that they grade. They could charge a minimal fee that the grading companies pass along and make their money from people who want to access their data base later.
Thanks for the post Oldjudge. Your post consists of several unrelated thoughts, so we'll address them one at a time:

Scanned Database Entries - unfortunately information can not simply be scanned into a database. We do scan the graded cards to capture their image but entering the information is a G & A function (G & A is a business term standing for General and Administrative). We do that for all cards that are registered with us and post it to our web site for public access. This gives hobbyists the ability to search our web site by grading company, serial number, player name, card number etc. No need to involve the grading companies for that.

Current Owner Benefit - 2 parts to this one... 1) We've already established earlier in this thread in a response a couple of days ago that read "Thanks for your post, Barry... stated very eloquently. You summed everything up very nicely. When looking at this service in the context of the fun and / or the love of hobby, we can certainly understand why this [no interest in the service] would be the initial reaction of hobby purists and we respect that." 2) The very first point that we made in this thread (the first bullet in our opening statement read "Sellers with forensic registrations of their cards will have a decided advantage over sellers without registrations". In short, graded card sellers (current owners) have the greatest motivation to use the service to advantage themselves from those who haven't.

Doctored Card Submission - Wow, we had to read this one a few times. We're not sure why a perp would go to the time and expense of entering his doctored cards into the public record. The consensus is that he would either be very proud of his work to indict himself in such a manner or that he wants to get caught. His fraud will appear 50 times larger under the microscope.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Jay - I definitely agree that it works better if the database is strongly populated. But it has to start somewhere, IMO. Might as well here as anywhere.

J
That might not be entirely true.

Taking into consideration the failure rate of startup businesses, even in estabished market sectors, the viability of a new business type starting from scratch, as opposed to a new service being introduced by a financially established related business, seems questionable.

Will the company have the resources to survive until profitability is achieved?

If not, then all data is lost, along with the fees paid by individuals, unless an established company sees the viability and purchases the assets, that is, the data in the forms of images, etc., and carries it forward.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Even if you figured out a way to make this service somehow useful to our hobby, I think you'll have a hard time getting people to pay $9 to essentially scan their cards.
Thanks for the post Matt. There is a lot more to the service than scanned cards. The scanning part of the registration is the bonus. The forensic video capture (4-6 minutes long) is the centerpiece of the service. Additional options include 50x corner photos and UV (blacklight) photos. Also, our price break for 10 cards is $75 including free shipping and insurance, so it's more like $6 per card. Feel free to visit our web site at www.cfreg.com for more detailed information.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

I usually decline to participate in revolutions, unless I can do it from my couch.

Please don't perform any forensics or autopsies on my collection. I've found the best deterrent to fraud is actually knowing what I'm buying.

Bill
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am sort of neutral about it and mostly fall into the "do I really need it?" camp. That being said I am also a bit concerned about Lloyd (he is the original poster) claiming over 100 yrs experience (collectively) in the hobby and having never heard of WIWAG, Operation Bullpen, CAC or GAI's issues. I am sort of wondering what hobby the experience is in unless they have 100 guys with 1 yr of experience each. I always applaud thinking of new things and outside of the box so I applaud them for the undertaking and wish them luck. Time will tell. best regards
Thanks for the post Leon. As we discussed the other day, fraud is fraud, no matter what flavor it comes in or what acronym that it's given (i.e. WIWAG). We record forensic properties of cards that are submitted to us for registration and facilitate their entry to the public record. Period. We take no position / make no judgement in grading company, quality or accuracy as stated previously. I'm sure that you understand why we can't come out and post about scandals. it's not our mission and nothing good can come from it. Apologies for the bluntness but this apparently needed to be clarified.

As for our experience in the hobby, the point was that we have been around a while and have seen a lot. We are simply responding to the issues as we best see fit. At the end of the day Leon, is providing an impartial forensic service and facilitating a central information register really congruent to the fact that the 1970 Donn Clendenon was my first baseball card ? :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

I can see this service actually driving down the sale price of a graded card for several reasons:

- Most high-end graded card collectors are pretty picky about the condition/aesthetics of the TPG holder as well as the condition of the card itself. Attaching an ugly sticker to the reverse of the holder is a big turn-off, especially because it belongs to an anonymous start-up company that no one knows whether it will be around in one year from now.

- The company by its own admission will take no position on whether the card holder has been tampered with when they receive and evaluate it. It does nothing to eliminate fraud or detect bad holders, and perhaps may encourage scammers looking to add a layer of legitimacy to a fraudulent item. Service just takes a snapshot of whatever is submitted to them with no opinion whatsoever. It's laughable the service is touting fraud deterrence, when - as earlier posts indicate - the anonymous company officials are completely unaware of well-publicized scandals such as WIWAG, etc.

- Let's take a leap and say a few people use this service. I think most can agree its appeal is limited at best - perhaps for only some major high-end cards. So what about the rest of the mainstream collectors? When given a choice to buy a straight PSA 8 card that matches the rest of the cards in their set registry, or buy a PSA 8 card with some strange sticker on the back from an anonymous company that is only seen on 1 percent of all graded cards, which would they choose?

- For me, this is the equivalent of purchasing a 52 Topps Mantle RC in a PRO 8 holder.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't understand a company that touts their experience and doesn't tell you their NAMES.
It is odd that they answer other questions in such great detail, but continue to ignore every request that they identify themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

Last edited by Anthony S.; 11-12-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Daltrey could sing, couldn't he.

Funny I was thinking of the same song. Who the *&^% are you?????

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default What issues were you trying address and how does your service deal with them?

Quote:
Thanks very much for the post Joann. A little history on our model... it is the product of about eight month's worth of enumerating the issues that we felt were effecting the hobby in a less than positive manner. We then applied solutions to each issue. In some cases one solution addressed several issues and in other cases several solutions were required to correct one issue.
I'm curious as to what issues you came up with in your eight months of enumerating and how this service addresses each of these issues. As far as I can tell you are only potentially solving one problem: has a holder been tampered with and a card replaced SINCE the card was scanned by your service. It seems that there is no effort being made on your part to prevent someone from buying a high dollar card already slabbed, cracking that holder and replacing with a lower quality (or fraudulant copy) and then submitting to your service to "document" this as a legitimate graded card. How does your service give me any peace of mind that the card in the holder is legit just because you scanned it?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
I'm sure that you understand why we can't come out and post about scandals. it's not our mission and nothing good can come from it. Apologies for the bluntness but this apparently needed to be clarified.
Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand why you can't comment on public, well documented scandals. For someone who has supposednly been in the hobby long enough to start a business involving the hobby I would think they would know about WIWAG whatever acronym was used. Also your whole company is based on the existence of fraud and scandals, if it didn't exist, there would be no need for forensics.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default forget commenting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstudeba View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand why you can't comment on public, well documented scandals. For someone who has supposednly been in the hobby long enough to start a business involving the hobby I would think they would know about WIWAG whatever acronym was used. Also your whole company is based on the existence of fraud and scandals, if it didn't exist, there would be no need for forensics.
Forget commenting. When Lloyd and I spoke on the phone he said he had NEVER heard about them. That was my issue....not the fact they will or won't comment, but they were ignorant of WIWAG, Operation Bullpen, CAC or any of the myriad issues with GAI. As I said...must be experience doing something else. It's certainly not in the hobby....or if it is, lets hear of this 100 yrs of experience. I will be glad to state my experience in the hobby, which isn't a ton but at least I know of those things mentioned above
Old 11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Johnny S

The service might be good for a buyer but will cut into any sellers profits even more, this is going to be a very tough sell all around. I do wish you the best of luck, you have a long way to go, right now you are at the base of Niagara falls attempting to paddle up to the top, but atleast you are in a boat with a paddle.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
It is odd that they answer other questions in such great detail, but continue to ignore every request that they identify themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw
Just a quick note folks... yes, we have taken the time to entertain and answer the most appropriate questions in detail. We are very happy to do that. We have also touched on our backgrounds and how it applies to the service. In addition, we have a press release that is due out next week, which will be our official statement and will expand on my team and the service. It will be available on several PR sites and through a basic Google search.

We understand that this is all new to everyone and that the service may work for some but may not others. It may be an acquired taste or it may not be. You are all entitled to your opinions and that's great, we would have it no other way. Every product or service needs to be put to the test, ours is no different.

We do, however, need to ask that you please refrain from requesting our personal information - we will not post it here. An anonymous message board is an inappropriate forum for that discussion. The press release will cover everything to the extent that you need to know. I will post it to the CFReg.com web site when it becomes public.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Just a quick note folks... yes, we have taken the time to entertain and answer the most appropriate questions in detail. We are very happy to do that. We have also touched on our backgrounds and how it applies to the service. In addition, we have a press release that is due out next week, which will be our official statement and will expand on my team and the service. It will be available on several PR sites and through a basic Google search.

We understand that this is all new to everyone and that the service may work for some but may not others. It may be an acquired taste or it may not be. You are all entitled to your opinions and that's great, we would have it no other way. Every product or service needs to be put to the test, ours is no different.

We do, however, need to ask that you please refrain from requesting our personal information - we will not post it here. An anonymous message board is an inappropriate forum for that discussion. The press release will cover everything to the extent that you need to know. I will post it to the CFReg.com web site when it becomes public.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Hmmm, where have I seen before where posts are made by someone with a singular first name, but all posts refer to "we"? Just can't seem to place my finger on it...
Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Al

Can't seem to put OUR finger on it.

-Al(s)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

As was stated, at least provide some hobby references. Many members on this board can provide hundreds if not thousands of references for past deals. How many do you have? Who can vouch for you? Why would anyone send a valuable card to some website when no one knows who you are?

It's the first step towards gaining a shred of credibility in this hobby.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Hmmm, where have I seen before where posts are made by someone with a singular first name, but all posts refer to "we"? Just can't seem to place my finger on it...

Nah! This clearly isn't him (them.) The spelling and grammar mistakes are too few and far between. These guys must have gone to a really good school.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM

this all sounds wonderful.

can't wait for the hobby to evolve into a scene like this.....

Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

We do, however, need to ask that you please refrain from requesting our personal information - we will not post it here. An anonymous message board is an inappropriate forum for that discussion.

Thanks,

Lloyd

You can ask us to refrain all you want, but the fact remains that most people on this board will NEVER do the kind of business you are asking for if we don't know who is behind the company. Most of us personally know the people behind the grading companies, the principals behind the auction houses, as well as each other. Many of us also know, or have known the names of people involved in the past scandals discussed.

The only new people in the equation are you guys. So please don't expect to be treated kindly until we do. (And, for the record, your replies so far have been just a little bit condescending.)

Also, please note that this is NOT "an anonymous message board." The people on here have all given personal info to Leon and the other mods. That info is available as needed to other board members. (Usually, only needed in threads that contain controversial posts. For example, if you say 1933 Goudey is your favorite set, you can be anonymous. If you say Dave Kohler of SCP is a scum and he cheated you out of $10,000, well, you'd have to give your name. Just an example.)

Last edited by Jim VB; 11-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default correct amundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
You can ask us to refrain all you want, but the fact remains that most people on this board will NEVER do the kind of business you are asking for if we don't know who is behind the company. Most of us personally know the people behind the grading companies, the principals behind the auction houses, as well as each other. Many of us also know, or have known the names of people involved in the past scandals discussed.

The only new people in the equation are you guys. So please don't expect to be treated kindly until we do. (And, for the record, your replies so far have been just a little bit condescending.)

Also, please note that this is NOT "an anonymous message board." The people on here have all given personal info to Leon and the other mods. That info is available as needed to other board members. (Usually, only needed in threads that contain controversial posts. For example, if you say 1933 Goudey is your favorite set, you can be anonymous. If you say Dave Kohler of SCP is a scum and he cheated you out of $10,000, well, you'd have to give your name. Just an example.)
I agree with every single word you just said Jim. I think there needs to be total transparency in this new REVOLUTION, not covertness and secretive behavior. Most of us have known each other, personally, for many years. And your points about anonymity vs privacy, with respect to the board, are spot on. Now, when are we going to finally do lunch? You know that You, Prizner, Rich K and myself really need to get together sometime. Rich and I have done lunch a hundred times and Prizner and I have gotten together around a dozen times. Heck, I would even have another get together at my house if you guys can make it? Take care now.....best regards
Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Lloyd (if that is your real name),
Please let us at least know your hobby experience...have you ever been a dealer, collector, grader, etc. You profess great knowledge but no one is going to send a high value card to a bunch of people they do not know or trust. Information up front will lend credibility to your service. Also, this is not an anonymous board. We all are required to post our names on controversial posts per the rules and I think this is starting to be just that.

Joshua

PS It is really easy...my name is Joshua Levine, I have been a collector for over 30 years and have nearly 15 years experience in pre-war cards. My specialty is Phillies and T205s. My collection is nothing special but my knowledge base is fairly large. I was also one of the founding members of OBC, arguably the first online card trading group (been around for over 2 decades now!). Many people can vouch for me on here, in other sites, and in real life. How about you?

Last edited by Wite3; 11-12-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree with every single word you just said Jim. I think there needs to be total transparency in this new REVOLUTION, not covertness and secretive behavior. Most of us have known each other, personally, for many years. And your points about anonymity vs privacy, with respect to the board, are spot on. Now, when are we going to finally do lunch? You know that You, Prizner, Rich K and myself really need to get together sometime. Rich and I have done lunch a hundred times and Prizner and I have gotten together around a dozen times. Heck, I would even have another get together at my house if you guys can make it? Take care now.....best regards

PM sent.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Jimmy

Unless you are Bill Gates trying to protect his new billion dollar startup website, I don't really see the special need to register your domain name through domainsbyproxy.com, a company that specializes in "Protecting your identity" and "Thwarting harassers & stalkers"...

Why be so secretive if there's nothing to hide?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19cbb View Post
Unless you are Bill Gates trying to protect his new billion dollar startup website, I don't really see the special need to register your domain name through domainsbyproxy.com, a company that specializes in "Protecting your identity" and "Thwarting harassers & stalkers"...

Why be so secretive if there's nothing to hide?

Domains By Proxy Inc., is actually a sister company of GoDaddy.com. In many instances, they do good work as they sheild web sites from much of the automated spamming that goes on. (Ask Leon how much of that crap this site gets.) But in a business that is built on personal relationships, it may be counterproductive.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
But in a business that is built on personal relationships, it may be counterproductive.
You got my point...
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Dean Wormer- Double Secret Probation

Maybe Lloyd is Dean Wormer?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

If I thought this service was a good idea I might do business with CFR, even if their hobby experience was limited. I don't think you need to be an expert on the hobby to photograph or take video or create a registry. However, if I were to send a valuable card to a post office box in a small hamlet in Middlesex County, New Jersey, I would want to know who I am dealing with. Is Collectors Forensic Register registered with the State? Is it a corporation? A limited liability company? A trade name? Does it have a physical address? If I send a card to SGC and don't get it back (which would never happen in my experience), I can go bang on their door. I can't do that to a post office box.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default lock thread

The original poster has asked me to lock this thread. As with most requests from an original poster I will honor their request. He also says there will be a press release coming out which will explain more. If anyone wants/cares to start another thread about this, then so be it. regards

Tags
card grading, collectors, forensics, graded sports cards, register