NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default PHOTO EXPERTS:Need some help with photo condition issues

I have a bunch of original photos that I obtained from the photographer 40+ years ago. He worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Evening Bulletin. His name was John (Jack) Culross and most are from the mid 40's. I used to have the negatives, but I tossed them about a decade ago as they started to deteriorate.

Each photo is rolled, as he stored them in a large roll top desk that had many cubbyholes. Some are on standard glossy photo paper, others are on a heavy matte poster board type of paper. Most are oversized. Some have creases and/or tears. Only one bears a stamp with the date and newspaper name, but I'm sure some were published and these were his personal copies.

A few questions:
1) Is there any way to 'unroll' them? I asked a framer and he said no.
2) What is the best way to repair the tears so they don't get worse?
3) I have tried to identify subjects / specific events with some success. Is there a good resource to make this easier?

Below are some examples.
Thanks for any help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliding016.jpg (74.4 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Deertick; 03-01-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarity of request
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Bill Boyd

Some good photos there, I really like the tag being applied along the third base line, check out how close the photographer is to the play.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Some good photos there, I really like the tag being applied along the third base line, check out how close the photographer is to the play.
The hapless look of the third base coach is interesting too.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
David Linardy

Default Photos

Fantastic Photos Jim!

I can't say that I can offer any tips in terms of restoration, but I will say that many of these photos will matt out quite nicely...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

The tag play is great! Love the photographer right on the field.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Bill Boyd

Is that Cookie Lovagetto making the tag?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
The tag play is great! Love the photographer right on the field.
There are some interesting shots from the 1920s where you see 3 or 4 photographers barely outside the dirt around home plate during a game. I'd love to see some kind of statistics on photographers who caught a foul ball in the teeth while crouching right beside home plate.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Jim M.arinari

Some info that I have found.
1) The boat is U-858. a German U boat captured off the coast of Cape May, NJ on 5/14/45
2) The "DP' is Tony Daniels (from Bitsy Mott to Vance Dinges) turning the DP against the Giants in the 6th on 7/28/45 (1st game). Billy Jurges out at 2nd, Van Mungo out at first.
3) The football game was played at Franklin Field. Penn (white) vs. ??

Last edited by Deertick; 02-27-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Corrected/added info
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Fantastic Photos Jim!

I can't say that I can offer any tips in terms of restoration, but I will say that many of these photos will matt out quite nicely...
Thanks, Dave! I know you have a lot of experience matting photos. Does the fact that these 11.25" x 14" photos are rolled up into a 2-3" tube? The guy I talked to said they had to be mounted to a cardboard backer.

Here is another copy of the tag play with photog cropped out.

And capturing some nice Pro FB action Eagles vs Steelers 11/18/45.

Last edited by Deertick; 03-02-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM

All you can do really is reintroduce moisture to the image and then flatten it. The problem is when the gelatin surface is already cracked, moisture will get into the crack and make it worse in those areas. If the photos were huge dollar it might be worth it, but my recommendation to you would be to buy some rigid top-loaders and they will flatten the photos for display purposes and eventually help to decrease the curling somewhat.

Rhys
Old 03-01-2014, 02:29 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Awesome photos. I can't help but think that dude is getting punched in the nuts...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
All you can do really is reintroduce moisture to the image and then flatten it. The problem is when the gelatin surface is already cracked, moisture will get into the crack and make it worse in those areas. If the photos were huge dollar it might be worth it, but my recommendation to you would be to buy some rigid top-loaders and they will flatten the photos for display purposes and eventually help to decrease the curling somewhat.

Rhys
Thanks, Rhys! Would there be any benefit to using a rigid holder and give them a 'steam bath'? Nothing too aggressive, maybe keeping them in the bathroom while my daughter takes her daily 40 minute, 95% hot water shower?

Would the matte photos that are on heavyweight paper be OK to soak? I'd really like to frame some, and sell others. But either way they can't be rolled up like towel rolls.

Finally, what is the best way to repair the tears, etc? Backing, some sort of tape, or something else?
Thanks and I appreciate your help.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Awesome photos. I can't help but think that dude is getting punched in the nuts...
LOL, that particular photo hung on my bedroom wall from age 13-27. Pins, staples, tape....whatever I could use to make it adhere to knothole pine walls.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:54 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

If you're interested in framing, I would consider using a rigid holder as Rhys suggested and then framing it, holder and all. The rigid holder combined with the front and back of the matting will help to flatten it at the same time as you're displaying it.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Any moisture & pressure is going to make the curling better but the creases worse so I would just put them in a rigid holder and let the laws of physics science and pressure do what they can. Over time they will flatten a bit but in the holder they will look the same as if you had messed with them at all.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 AM

Great photos.
I have had a photo restored by the means that Rhys described. They humidified and pressed the photo, but the photo was pretty expensive, and the restoration wasn't cheap either. I can check my receipts to see what I paid, but mine was a panoramic so might not be equivalent anyway.
By the way, the last photo you posted I don't believe is a college football.
I am pretty certain its the Eagles versus the Steelers, with Steve Van Buren carrying the ball. Great photo.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Great photos.
I have had a photo restored by the means that Rhys described. They humidified and pressed the photo, but the photo was pretty expensive, and the restoration wasn't cheap either. I can check my receipts to see what I paid, but mine was a panoramic so might not be equivalent anyway.
By the way, the last photo you posted I don't believe is a college football.
I am pretty certain its the Eagles versus the Steelers, with Steve Van Buren carrying the ball. Great photo.
I will try Rhys suggestion. I just hope I have the patience.

And thanks for pointing me toward the Eagles. I was having a hard time with the helmets and the size of the numbering for Penn. But that info is hard to come by. I just need to step back sometimes and refocus!

11/18/45 Eagles 30 Steelers 6. Van Buren (15) Wistert (70) Ferrante (83). Can't get any Steeler jersey numbers yet.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Don't steam them in the toploader. The emulsion will soften and stick to the toploader. Like a framed photo with water damage.

Flattening with humidity is possible obviously, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

Steve B