NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Trae Regan

Question Any gold prospecting hobbyists around Net54?

I'm just getting into it and thought I'd see if any of you are prospectors in any sense of the word. Cheers

Last edited by T206.org; 11-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default I've thought about it..

I have thought about picking up a little piece of property on a gold bearing stream and or an old gold mine......I even researched it a little...I think I still have a couple of moves left in me so I might pursue it. What's your angle, panning, Sluce? Aloha, Dave.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Trae Regan

Right on, Dave - I say go for it!

I plan on trying many angles, from metal detecting, to sluicing, to dredging, and of course panning in any case. For now I've only gone panning once, in Alaska, with my wife, on a cruise excursion. We ended up with 38 small flecks and I've had the fever ever since.

I'm headed to North Georgia with my Dad in February and have started picking up some equipment and concentrates to mess with in the meantime.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Clayton

Good luck Trae, sounds like fun. I watch the show "Gold Rush" sometimes and it really looks fun to me. We sometimes go to northern California to old gold mining towns like Placerville and Nevada City (Nevada City is in California) just to check out some of the old mines. Fun stuff.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Trae Regan

Thanks, Clayton! "Gold Rush" is cool, but this second season isn't as good, in my opinion. I've been reading about Nor Cal, definitely seems like somewhere I'd enjoy going at some point.

If you get the Outdoors Channel, look for a show called 'Gold Fever'. It's not as done-up as Gold Rush, but it's more about everyday prospecting. It's been on for 13 years!

Cool...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Archive

Hi Trae

If you plan on hitting any small rivers and streams prospecting for gold, you may want to keep your eye open for American indian artifacts too. A lot people around the U.S. walk rivers and streams looking for indian artifacts. Finding an artifact may make a bad day of prospecting worthwhile. Just be sure to check the laws before looking. They vary from state to state and it could be illegal to pick them up.

If you have some free time, check out some of the videos posted on Youtube by people searching for artifacts in rivers and streams. They find some nice stuff.

Hope this helps

Jantz
Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Trae Regan

Jantz, that's a great thought that I hadn't considered, I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thank you.

When I was a kid, I did some arrow head and geode hunting with my family in TN - it was a blast and we found some good stuff in both categories. Discovering an arrow head was the most fun part of that, but then with the geodes, getting home and cutting them open (my Dad, some kind of wet saw) to see what was inside was just over the top!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM
John Hanssen

This is in no way investment advise

I have been doing some arm chair exploration for Gold/Treasure. Here is a couple of cheap stock sybols that you can do a little reading on.

LODE (upcoming gold mining the comstck load area)

OMEX (company that searches for gold, silver and other treasure in historic shipwrecks)