NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Ben North

Default Buisness Cards

I am a produce grower and sell at Farmers Markets. One of the markets uses venders business cards in their advertising so I needed to get something made. This is what I came up with using a template from Staples. Wanted to make it like an old tobacco card with ballplayer on one side and advertisement on the other.

The only thing I would have liked to do differently was to put a red border around the Ted Williams picture on the back to make it look similar to the T210 cards. What do you all think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bcardfront.jpg (27.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg bcardback.jpg (45.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Chris

I like it a lot. A red border would look awesome.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
T!M R10rd@n

I think that the Williams estate would have an issue with you using the image in a commercial endeavor.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
I think that the Williams estate would have an issue with you using the image in a commercial endeavor.
It is a business card I hand out for free I highly doubt the Williams estate will have a problem.

I can not imagine it being illegal but I am not a lawyer. We do have several on this forum. Any of you have thoughts on this?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It is a business card I hand out for free I highly doubt the Williams estate will have a problem.

I can not imagine it being illegal but I am not a lawyer. We do have several on this forum. Any of you have thoughts on this?
If they are given away for free I too doubt there would be an issue. I am not a lawyer though.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Chris

I am a lawyer. I think it would look nice with a red border. Apart from that, I don't have any input into the actual legality of it as that is way outside my area of expertise.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 AM

Not a lawyer BUT

Adding the red border I think means you've now made the image your own. There is some standard, I think it's that you have to alter an image something like 30 percent and the original image and copyright no longer apply, because you've now created a new image.

So if you're really worried about it, I'd add the red border and maybe a closer crop or something like that.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Not a lawyer BUT

Adding the red border I think means you've now made the image your own. There is some standard, I think it's that you have to alter an image something like 30 percent and the original image and copyright no longer apply, because you've now created a new image.

So if you're really worried about it, I'd add the red border and maybe a closer crop or something like that.
I did crop the picture over 30% to get the image the way I wanted it.

If I could have figured out how to add the red border I would have. I will have the cards in hand Wednesday.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM
Tom Boblitt

Wouldn't you want an email address and/or name and/or phone number on it too.......other than that, love the Ted Williams...........
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Wouldn't you want an email address and/or name and/or phone number on it too.......other than that, love the Ted Williams...........
I sell at 3 Farmers Markets and to 1 store. I do not want people showing up at my greenhouse or calling while I am trying to get something done. The card is just for 1 of the Markets to advertise I will be there to sell produce.

I am famous(LOL) here for my mini cucumbers and chocolate cherry tomatoes. So the market wants to let people know I will be there.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Ben North

Got them in the mail yesterday. I am happy with them.

If any of you collect oddball items and want one PM me your address and I will send you one out for free via PWE or send me a SASE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3814.jpg (72.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Ben North

Handed out the cards at the Farmers Market today. Most customers are 60+ in age with all but 2 of the men being baseball fans today. Besides all of them being surprised that a young(45) guy like me would even know who Ted Williams was they all said he was the best player they have ever seen in their lifetime.

Made the market even more fun than normal with all the baseball talk instead of customers asking for gardening tips.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Alex

I just saw this thread. I actually know something about this topic. In Florida and Louisiana the use of Williams' image could be actionable - the exact wording eludes me at the moment but I believe it is misappropriation of a likeness. However I doubt anyone is going to raise a fuss over it, or even know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.