NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Chris Wood

Default 19th Century Base Ball Team Ribbon?

I have always wanted to add a true 19th C baseball team ribbon to my collection and have drooled over several for sale (but out of my price range) at the National, including the 2015 in Chicago.

I picked this one up off ebay and while the price seemed to good to be true (red flag?), I thought that perhaps the mundane presentation kept the price down (or is this also a red flag of a poor forgery?).

Would love some feedback good or bad.

Looks to be printed on silk; aging looks natural; some foxing; stiching on top border; 5 1/4 x 2 1/2 inches.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5900.jpg (24.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5901.jpg (22.0 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by baseball tourist; 11-03-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Kevin O'Gara

I think it's fine it's just that there's not a lot to it sometimes you want a batter or some kind of baseball image
Old 11-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by khkco4bls View Post
I think it's fine it's just that there's not a lot to it sometimes you want a batter or some kind of baseball image
Thanks Kevin. Its plain-Jane for sure (like my wallet)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Chris,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this ribbon visually, its exactly what it's supposed to be. As far as better imagery is concerned, I couldn't disagree more, its gorgeous the way it is, no batter or baseball image needed. It's historic value and importance trumps any aestetic shortcomings. Any 19th century collector would love to have it. Congrats!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Hey Chris,

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this ribbon visually, its exactly what it's supposed to be. As far as better imagery is concerned, I couldn't disagree more, its gorgeous the way it is, no batter or baseball image needed. It's historic value and importance trumps any aestetic shortcomings. Any 19th century collector would love to have it. Congrats!
Thanks Brent! I like it as well, and am happy to add it to my meager 19th C collection. Now the hard part - identifying the town/team. Can't find any references the the Maroon BB Club.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Chris Wood

Default Possible locations...

Central City, Arkansas
Central City, Colorado
Central City, Illinois
Central City, Iowa
Central City, Kentucky
Central City, Louisiana, East Baton Rouge Parish
Central City, New Orleans, Louisiana, a neighborhood
Central City, Nebraska
Central City, Pennsylvania
Central City, Phoenix, urban village
Central City, South Dakota
Central City, New York

http://friendsofmountmoriahcemetery....tional-league/

George Dovey – (1862-1909) President of the Boston National League

Born: April 18, 1862

Died: June 19, 1909

George was one of at least three sons born to John and Catherine (Cresswell) Dovey. At an early age, George moved to Central City in Muhlenberg County Kentucky with his family. His father owned coal property and operated Dovey mines where his sons worked. One long-told tale relates the story of the “Dovey Robbery” which occurred in 1880. In anticipation of a big pay day, the James-Younger Gang planned to rob the Dovey store of the mine payroll. On October 15, 1880, Jesse James, Dick Liddil and Bill Ryan entered the store and ordered John’s son (some reports say it was George) to open the safe. Because the payroll shipment had been delayed, the armed thieves left with only $13 in cash and John’s engraved, gold watch. A few years later, after Jesse James was killed, Dovey’s watch was found among his possessions. Because the watch was engraved with the owner’s name, James’ wife located the family and returned the watch, requesting a receipt for the returned item.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 11-03-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I actually like the simplicity.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:54 PM
pariah1107

Chris, Love the ribbon!

Found this in the Syracuse Herald, 4-20-1890: "The Central City Maroon Baseball club Manager Eichentabb (sp? last four letters unclear) has secured the following playrs; E. Cook and E. Rennolds, c; V. Becker, p; G. Shenk, 1b; J. Honondie (sp?), 2b; J. Farrell, 3b; J. Levi, ss; A. Manz, lf; J. Glazer, cf; Lewis Jackson rf and p. The Maroons will open their season shortly with the Pleasant Beach team at Lang's grounds for $25 a side. Challengers for the Maroon must be sent to No. 84 Kirkpatrick Street."

Hope this helps, I'll look up some more info when I get home....
Old 11-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Chris, Love the ribbon!

Found this in the Syracuse Herald, 4-20-1890: "The Central City Maroon Baseball club Manager Eichentabb (sp? last four letters unclear) has secured the following playrs; E. Cook and E. Rennolds, c; V. Becker, p; G. Shenk, 1b; J. Honondie (sp?), 2b; J. Farrell, 3b; J. Levi, ss; A. Manz, lf; J. Glazer, cf; Lewis Jackson rf and p. The Maroons will open their season shortly with the Pleasant Beach team at Lang's grounds for $25 a side. Challengers for the Maroon must be sent to No. 84 Kirkpatrick Street."

Hope this helps, I'll look up some more info when I get home....
Thanks Ty! I appreciate the digging

Found this online (not mine) lthough prob not related, it is a great looking cigar box.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...aseball-club-m
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bnGIoIXF-FjRdukrpJ4qxw.jpg (73.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg thqfe2IXPj8Qt-YGYzHO6w.jpg (57.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg HPC8WkzgyyjKfL8ok3pZwQ.jpg (74.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by baseball tourist; 11-03-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 PM
pariah1107

Chris, searched newspaper archives New York publications 1880-1905 for Central City Maroons, which gave a nice time frame.

The first reference to a baseball team in Central City I was able to find was the 4-15-1888 Syracuse Herald; "The Central City Baseball club of the Fifth Ward has become well known in central New York by the many victories it won last year. The team consists of Frick and Hensel and Hancock and Gleason as batteries; WP Dowling 1b, AE Mills 2b, C. Coakley (?) 3b, M. Connell ss, C. Oaks lf, A. McCormick cf, M. Gleason cf. The address of the manager, WH McConnell is no. 14 Grace Street." So, team was around since at least 1887.

The earliest reference to the nickname "Maroons" seems to be the 5-26-1889 Syracuse Herald: "The Mikados and Maroons will play at Lang's grounds today. The batteries will be Rapp and Murphy for the Mikados and Halbriter and Wente for the Maroons. Halbriter and Wente are members of the Mikados and are loaned to the Maroons for the occasion. The Central City's defeated the Oneidas in a ten inning game at Oneida yesterday by a score of 9 to 8. Barrett and Gleason were the Central City battery, and Jones for Oneida."

Here's an interesting article in regards to the Central City Maroons civic activities from the 6-27-1890 Syracuse Herald: "The second annual picnic of the Syracuse Hebrew Free School will be held at Three Rivers June 29, and promises to be a grand success. Among the attractive features of the day will be a game of baseball between the Maroons of this city and the Three Rivers club. In the afternoon the Maroons will play the Electrics. There is a warm feeling between the two latter clubs, and an exciting game may be expected. Manager Levy of the Maroons has just signed Frank Warden pitcher and William Warden centerfield. These men make a strong acquisition to the club. The Hebrew picnic is bound to be a success. Trains leave Rome, Watertown, and Ogdensburg new freight house 9am, 1pm, and 230pm. Return at 830 and 9pm."

Some characters on this team, this from 8-24-1890 Syracuse Herald: "The Maroons of this city and the Red Stockings of Oswego will play a game of baseball Tuesday at Oswego. J. Levy, shortstop of the Maroons has accepted a position as juggler in Dever's circus, which he will join at Elmira." By 1897 the Central City Maroons were known as the Auburn Maroons of the New York State League (8-22-97 Syracuse Herald, baseball-reference). May be a good time frame to work with, ca. 1887-1896. Once again, great ribbon and cigar box.

Last edited by pariah1107; 11-03-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Chris Wood

Great stuff Ty! REALLY appreciate the info.