NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default a recent gift

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

My Mom's uncle will be 88 later this year. He has always been very diligent when it came to his health. He walks every day, watches what he eats, and never hesitated going to the doctor when he was suspicious of something.
His diet consists mostly of a rotating menu of chicken based preparations. Being on a fixed income, he buys chicken with the skin on, removes it, cooks it separately, and faithfully brings it Sunday mornings as a treat to my dog. In later years, I've limited my dog's intake of this artery clogging stuff to being just enough to intice her into finishing what is left in her dish from my early morning feeding of her.
My great uncle's wife died about 10 years ago, they never had any children, and he only has a small handfull of close friends (all are his age). His driving is limited to our house, his local close friends houses, and the grocery store. My Dad and I share duty taking him to and from the doctor when needed.
Being an avid trap shooter at one time, a small and large game hunter, and always having outdoor related interests, its on those Sunday visits that he sometimes brings things for me and my Dad as he feels somewhat gratuitous and has no one else to give the stuff to. Being hunters ourselves, items have included guns, ammo, reloading equipment, old sports related paper, foreign coins, nazi arm bands and related, a nice P-38, etc.
He is a WWII veteran who was involved in the Battle of the Bulge. After the battle and WWII came to an end, the troops were entertained by groups of movie stars and other celebraties who toured Europe as a good will gesture for the government. On a Sunday last year, he brought the scanned piece of paper and presented it to me. As he related the story (and I should probably verify it again with him), and as best as I can remember it, these 5 shared a movie in a theater in Holland with my great uncle and the men in his troop during one of these tours after the war. My uncle shared a dinner with them after the movie and got this piece of paper signed by them.

Old 08-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default a recent gift

Posted By: Brueso

treasure that, Keith!

Old 08-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default a recent gift

Posted By: David

I knew John Stockton was old, but not that old. Just joking, nice item. My uncle was in the Battle of the Buldge too.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default a recent gift

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

about anyone berating me, . I rethought what I wrote earlier, and I guess this took place while the war was still going on. His memory is better then mine, if he told me Jan of 1945, thats when it was. This evidently was immediately after or right at the tail end of the Battle of the Bulge, I guess I better ask him again. It is a nice snapshot of a particular point in time though.