NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Default Am I gonna regret this?

Posted By: jay behrens

just BIN'd this. The Hubbel looks good to me, but the Thorpe looks iffy, but it could be because the pic ended up tinted yellow for some reason. Compare it to theHubbel, you can see the yellow tint. Anyway, the seller said he'd refund the my money if they get rejected, for whatever that's worth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5176622095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jay, I don't think the yellow tint is a problem -- the blanket is even yellowed. It's obvious that its just the picture and not the card.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

them and haven't gotten them yet, but I don't like the Thorpe. It's SO yellow, and so far away...

Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Julie, read the post above yours, it explains the yellow. I'm pretty sure they are legit, especially the Hubbel, but it's an unknown seller that doesn't normally sell this type of card.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cap

Hmmm..I agree with Julie.

Looking at his feedbacks, he only sells high dollar items (min. $100). Scans certainly doesn't help.

Please keep up informed how this experience ends.

Cap

Well, I quit my job so I could work alone, Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes- Bob Dylan.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Yes, I think you likely will regret it. Stands to reason the cards were photographed with the same process so ask yourself why couldn't the seller adjust the color of the Thorpe pictures??

The Hubbell actually looks ok but the back of the Thorpe says reprint. The backs of the two reprint sets I have are marked as reprints in small type, centered, along the bottom edge of the back.

Of couse this back looks centered to the top.....

Old 03-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I agree. The Thorpe looks questionable.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

He's also got a $99.99 BIN on a t-206 Cobb with an "ebay story." Not a good sign of trustworthiness with this seller.

Link to his t-206 Cobb which happened to be in a fire?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86840&item=5176710385&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Old 03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T.J. Schwartz

YOU BETCHA! TJS

Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Here is where he got the Hubbell from.

I know that his description stated that this card has creasing but this picture is much clearer and shows them better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5147515617

Old 03-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

ratt...

As I advise buyers of this set in my boxing card book: "Beware that this set has been reprinted because of the popularity of the baseball cards. I recommend buying expensive cards from this set encapsulated."

Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator

I shouldn't be regretting this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5176993937

Jay

Old 03-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Too Late Jay

When's your next meeting?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Got the cards today. As suspected, the Hubbell is legit and would Good at best, but the Thorpe is fake. didn't even have to take it out of th holder. blurry image and it actually had some gloss. When it took it out, the stock was all wrong. Now I'll find out if this guy refunds my money or not.

Jay

Old 03-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Well, that was quick. The seller refunded me the value of the Thorpe card after I pointed out all the reason the card was fake. At least I got a decent Hubbell out of the deal at a very good price.

Jay

Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Did he ask for the Thorpe card back?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jbgird

I have run into a few of these cards that are reprints and from what I think I know about them the word reprint usually would be underneath the SPORTS KINGS words. If you receive the cards and right after the word co. it looks scratched, or paperloss then the word reprint has been removed. If not then you probably are safe. Hope for your sake they are real good luck!!

JBGIRD

Old 03-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

yeah, he wants the Thorpe back. I have no doubt the Hubbell is real. There is no paper loss, just a few minor creases and it has mildew smell that you jsut can't duplicate with a reprint. I opened the package at my Mom's place before Easter lunch and my uncle thought I was crazy when I started sniffing the cards. Would have been nice if the Thorpe was real, but getting a Hubbell for under $35 is still a nice score.

Jay