NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Default Questions about selling a postwar collection

Back in the 1980s and 90s I would go to card shows with my dad. I have quite a few cards of that era that are apparently worthless.

My dad however collected cards in the early 60s. He thought they were long gone but they turned up in my grandfathers house in the 90s.

My dad is older and none of my sibling have any interest in the cards so I want to help him sell them and use the money on things he wants rather than let the cards sit in a closet.

I've been doing a bit of research on the best way to sell off the collection. It looks like grading and ebay have changed how the market works and I'm not sure the best way to sell.

I'm new here and not sure if this is in the right area, if it's kosher I can post pics of the collection and get some feedback on what the best way to proceed is.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Hi newbie,
Please post pics, so we can see what you have and potential value.
Leon, whom is the mod/owner here does operate a Auction House called B&L auctions. But you might also know of the 2 thats on Ebay (PWCC and Probstein).
Theres a another guy on the board- LeeB. whom operates Sterlings auction. Both of these guys here are great and quick.
We also do have a B/S/T, but since your a newbie and all, assume to provide references and etc.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I wish my dad had cards to pass down good luck
Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
J0hn Collin$

It will depend on what you have and condition. If you have a substantial collection in high-grade condition, it may be worth it to check out getting the cards professionally graded before you sell. I think it's important to point out that most collectors notions of "grading" differ widely now when compared to the 1980's. Many cards that were called mint or near mint honestly back then are now held to higher scrutiny, and may only grade EX-MT or EX, say in the PSA 5 or 6 range. While these are certainly still generally considered "nice" and collectible cards, there is quite a difference between the money that PSA 5 vintage cards go for in today's market vs. those in truly higher grade, such as the PSA 8's and above. Just speaking personally, if I had quit collecting for a while and had to go back and tell my 12 year-old self something about card values today - that would be it. The condition of your cards as judged by today's condition standards could mean the difference between something that is just a nice fun collection (what I focus on) and something that could payoff your mortgage...
Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Al Richter

Default Welcome....

...on board. There is never a shortage of opinions or advice here
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the help, I asked around a few other forums and haven't really gotten much other than get them graded but with the cost of grading I would like to know much more before plunking down the cash to find out the cards aren't worth grading.

Back to my dad's collection, he grew up on a rural farm and would watch his younger siblings on the weekend when my grandparents would go shopping and they would buy him a few packs as payment. Living on a farm meant few chances to trade so he has quite a few doubles, in some cases as many as 10 of the same card. He took immaculate card of the cards but looking over them there are many that have gum stains or printing issues that were there from the factory but at the time they were penny cards so I'm assuming the factory QC was pretty terrible.

To start off he has almost a whole set of bazooka all star cards in pretty nice condition

Old 11-09-2015, 02:37 PM

He has quite a few Post and Jello cards

Lots of team cards

And lots of all star group cards
Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 PM

He has quite a few Life of Babe Ruth Cards

I started by grabbing random good players out of a random box