NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Default Iconic Player?

In your opinion, what defines a player as iconic? And, why are some players able to achieve or are viewed in that respect, and others, even with the stats / numbers, are unable to achieve that status?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Lou, let me preface my remarks by saying I cannot answer all you're asking. However, in regard to why some players are able to achieve this distinction, and are viewed in that respect, there are a few key ingredients that seem to typify that kind of player.

Now, again, I am thinking in terms of a player to a city, not so much nationwide.

He seems to be someone with the same club for 8-10 years, or more.

He seems to achieve strong stats, leading his team, and is often at the top, or near the top, of the league leaders.

In clutch situations, he seems to come through the majority of the time.

He seems to be quiet, and yet affable to the press. The camera likes him, a phrase I got from the immortal directer, John Huston. Thus, he seems to give decent interviews for the papers, and proves even better in front of the camera. Athletes, when you boil it all away, are indeed entertainers. So, the combination of sport performance, especially when you "rise to the occasion", being a good interview, and finally, if you are genuinely friendly and wholesome with your fans. Of the latter, hockey players used to be among the very best with their fans. The legendary Maurice Richard, the recently deceased Gordie Howe, and Bobby Hull were adored by their legions of fans, and the feelings of love and respect were reciprocated by these three gentlemen right back to their fans. Their fan-hero relationship was priceless.

Some athletes believe the only thing they owe the fans is their best performance, and then leave me alone. I do not want to be bothered by you. Get away from me---you make me nervous. Whatever. In time, they've assassinated or bludgeoned enough of their fans emotionally, that people look at them at best as a mixed bag.

When Rocket Richard died, all Montreal went into mourning. I suspect the same will happen in Detroit with Gordie Howe's passing. Or when the time comes that Al Kaline leaves us. I sure felt that when Ernie Banks passed away, as he was my hero growing up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 60s.

I wasn't from New York, but it hurt when Mickey Mantle passed away. I was in anguish.

Summarizing, you gotta be good, be good in the clutch, and be friendly with the press and with your fans. They make you.

Or else, they wad you up like a piece of waste paper and spit on you if you ignore them, are mean to them, or hurt them or their child!

Just my nickel pack's worth. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-12-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:46 AM

You can be " iconic" but not great - Joe Carter, Bill Mazeroski, Kirk Gibson.

You can be "iconic" for a brief time and then have a better post career legend - Gale Sayers Bo Jackson, Jimmy Hendrix.

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unit as.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM
David

Jeter comes to mind as "iconic" imo. Durability, team he played for, clutch, etc...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 AM

To me an iconic player is someone who embodies their sport. An icon is usually specific to a generation or a location. For example, Ichiro is undoubtedly an icon in Japan. I wouldn't say he's an icon in America though. The current American baseball icon as a whole (in my opinion) is Derek Jeter.

What makes them icons? I would say it is usually a mix of talent, opportunity, playing for the right team / at the right time, and exemplifying something more than just a baseball player. For Ichiro it would be because he is a pioneer. For Jeter it was that he demonstrated unparalleled class and endurance while playing the most high profile position for the most high profile team during the most high profile dynasty in sports at the time.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Al Richter

Default Iconic

If you originated in St Louis like I did, Stan Musial was and remains iconic, as opposed to other fine players who were there, like Gibson, Brock and Ozzie Smith.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Al,

So what makes Musical iconic, and why aren't Gibson, Brock, and Smith viewed as such?

Last edited by KCRfan1; 06-13-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I believe that the 'most iconic player ever' based on his effect on and continued status in the hobby is Mickey Mantle.

Besides being a great player, his career occurred as the Television Age exploded and he played for the best known team from the largest city.

IMHO, he is the gold standard...even Ruth lags behind.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM
€d M!££w00D

I think of an iconic player as someone that is synonymous with a team or, more importantly, a period of time. Even non-baseball fans know icons. Hard to argue with Mantle, Ruth, or Jackie R. I would also add Aaron for breaking Ruth's "unbreakable" record. #715 provided a moment that will live on. Vin Scully said it was the most important home run call of his storied career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post

You can be "iconic" for a brief time and then have a better post career legend - Gale Sayers Bo Jackson, Jimmy Hendrix.

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unit as.
One mistake, I'll fix it for you.

You can be "iconic" for a brief time and then have a better post career legend - Gale Sayers Bo Jackson .

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unitas, Jimmy Hendrix.

Steve B
Old 06-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

On a more serious note, I think it's mostly about someone who might immediately come to mind to a casual fan. Usually by being part of or better still the main player in one of an eras defining moments.

Too hard to compare Ruth to Mantle. I'll just say that in the 20's Ruth was the larger than life character that made people forget how crooked the game was before Landis. (And that's a debate for another thread entirely !)

I don't really see Mantle that way, but for a generation of NY fans he was THE player.
But then, I didn't see him play only getting interested in baseball in 73. So for me it was other players. Aaron especially.

And of course Reggie in the 70's for both Oakland and NY

A great example for the 80's would be Kirk Gibson. One amazing moment that really represents the best of 80's baseball.

Being press friendly doesn't hurt a bit of course.
Jim Rice was amazing for a number of years, but seldom got into the special games. And while he had reason to feel slighted by the press, his general unresponsiveness didn't help things.

I never really liked the hype, but yeah, Jeter has to be up there for the last couple decades. Didn't like the "best player ever" stuff, and he played for NY. but he was hard to really dislike even as a sox fan. I admired him all the more when I heard an interview where he was asked about the Fenway fans getting on him. Great response! Something like "I actually like it, Boston and NY have fans that really know baseball, and they don't get on the average guys like that. So it's sort of an honor, and one that pushes me to play harder against them." Gotta like that a whole lot.

Steve B
Old 06-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

My Two Cents

Definition of iconic
a : widely recognized and well-established
b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence

PETE ROSE
Old 06-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Iconic ? 19th Century , Pre War, Post War and Modern, and even further Regular Season vs Playoffs and World Series
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
In your opinion, what defines a player as iconic? And, why are some players able to achieve or are viewed in that respect, and others, even with the stats / numbers, are unable to achieve that status?
Icons are recognizable leaders...icons are one of the greatest players of all time whose records stand the test time...and icons deliver in the clutch.

Here are mine in the Topps era:

1. Mickey Mantle...if he had taken care of his body....his records would be even more remarkable
2. Willie Mays...statistic wise very underrated...missed 2 years due to military service...most likely would have hit 700+ HRs
3. Hank Aaron...still home run king...fair and square
4. Sandy Koufax...no pitcher dominated in his prime like Koufax whose career was cut short.
5. Nolan Ryan...career no hitters and KKs unapproachable
6. Reggie...Mr October performed well when the bright lights shone. A World Series ring for each finger on one hand
7.Pete Rose...Love him or hate him. He still played the game the way it should be played with all out hustle. I would want his leadership on my team. Hit record nearly unapproachable.
8. Clemente...humanitarian and complete ball player in the field and at the plate. He could do it all: run, hit, field

For these players...I like to collect more than just their rookie cards. High prices seem to trickle down to their other cards more so than other HOFs.

Last edited by mintonlyplz; 06-13-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM

To me an icon has to be transcendent though. I don't think Clemente or Pete Rose or even Willie Mays even transcended baseball. Mantle in my opinion certainly did. As have Jeter and Ichiro (in Japan). To be an icon (IMO) means that even people who might have never seen a baseball game before in their life know who you are.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Mike

Iconic is a moving target. There was a time that if you made it to the cover of Life, you had transcended your vocation. But even those who made Life Magazine covers while playing don't necessarily remain popular forever.

Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Nolan Ryan. Each seem to have fallen out of favor with baseball card collectors recently, but were extremely iconic in their time and place (ie, in Boston, and nationally in the late 80s/90s for Ryan). Williams and Yaz both were on the cover of Life.

Joe DiMaggio was probably more iconic in his time in terms of transcending sports into the national culture than several others mentioned in these posts. Two Life covers. Even after he finished playing, he was still in the national consciousness (married to Marilyn Monroe; Mr. Coffee commercials; being named in the song Mrs. Robinson; heck, on Seinfeld). But he doesn't have any topps cards (or goudey for that matter), so from a card collector's stand point not as much anymore

Bob Feller was a national phenomenon and icon. He pitched in MLB at 17 while still in high school. His high school graduation was broadcast by CBS. He was on the cover of Life. He was a top 3 MLB draw in the late 30's and 40's along with Williams and DiMaggio. But in a stats-obsessed age, 266 wins (less 4 years of 25 wins each lost to WWII - which he signed up for first among ball players) doesn't cut it, and he's forgotten except in Cleveland.

More modern fan favorites weren't necessarily iconic until later, sometimes late in or even after their career.

Clemente became iconic after the 1971 World Series (when people finally paid attention) and of course after Dec 31, 1972; he was relatively unknown to the non-NL baseball fan, let alone to the broader national consciousness, before that. (he's my favorite player, I'm not dissing him)

Last edited by MCoxon; 06-14-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

David Ortiz-Boston

Rusty Staub-Montreal

Mike Sweeney-Kansas City

Mookie Wilson (though I'm loathe to admit it) NY

Tony Conigliaro - Boston

Jeff Burroughs - Texas

Sid Bream - Atlanta
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Iconic is a moving target. There was a time that if you made it to the cover of Life, you had transcended your vocation. But even those who made Life Magazine covers while playing don't necessarily remain popular forever.

Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Nolan Ryan. Each seem to have fallen out of favor with baseball card collectors recently, but were extremely iconic in their time and place (ie, in Boston, and nationally in the late 80s/90s for Ryan). Williams and Yaz both were on the cover of Life.
Fallen out of favor??? What makes you say that?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Cal Ripken Jr. Baltimore
Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Fallen out of favor??? What makes you say that?
Just my sense

1) no one on the thread mentioned those 3.

2) Ryan. When I was younger in the 80s/90s Ryan was very iconic; several of his cards (except rookie) seem to be declining in value

3) Yaz. I wrote a thread earlier. In the late 80s just after he retired, per Contemporary Beckett guides, his card prices were on par with Koufax and Aaron, and his 1971 card was valued higher than all but 2-3. Now, his cards are worth relatively a lot less

4). Williams. I have bought several cards under SMR Lately. He doesn't have the cache, at least on these boards, relative to his heyday.

Last edited by MCoxon; 06-15-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

You can be "iconic" for a brief time and then have a better post career legend - Gale Sayers Bo Jackson .

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unitas, Jimmy Hendrix.

Steve B

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unitas, Jimi Hendrix.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
To me an icon has to be transcendent though. I don't think Clemente or Pete Rose or even Willie Mays even transcended baseball. Mantle in my opinion certainly did. As have Jeter and Ichiro (in Japan). To be an icon (IMO) means that even people who might have never seen a baseball game before in their life know who you are.
By that standard I think you would have to include Jackie.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
David Ortiz-Boston

Rusty Staub-Montreal

Mike Sweeney-Kansas City

Mookie Wilson (though I'm loathe to admit it) NY

Tony Conigliaro - Boston

Jeff Burroughs - Texas

Sid Bream - Atlanta
I live in KC, and Sweeney is FAR from iconic here. George Brett is, but certainly Sweeney is not. Fine player, but definitely not iconic.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
By that standard I think you would have to include Jackie.
You're right about that. I would include Jackie too.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I keep going back and forth about whether or not Pee Wee Reese is iconic. He anchored their infield for 17 years in two cities (with a break for World War II), won seven pennants and one World Series (plus another as a coach the year after he retired), and put his arm around Jackie Robinson, but when I think "Brooklyn Dodgers", I think of Robinson, Hodges, and sometimes one or two others before getting to Reese.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:43 PM

In my opinion the only thing iconic about Reese is his 1953 Bowman card. I would be surprised if you asked an average baseball fan about him and they could tell you anything other than maybe that he played for the Dodgers.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Larry

McGwire certainly was--he bolstered attendance ON THE ROAD to an incomparable, unfathomable degree, unmatched by anyone else since, except possibly Kershaw. Large portions of the crowd would even arrive early to watch him take batting practice (including me, in 1999 at old Tiger Stadium, where I saw him park four over the left field roof, which only Frank Howard, Harmon Killebrew and Cecil Fielder had ever done in a game. One of them cleared the roof not anywhere near down the line, BUT OVER LEFT CENTER! We were sitting in the left field upper deck, and while the long blasts of his teammates were landing rather softly in the upper deck, his were still coming with the velocity of cannon shots! No one hit them as far and as often as Big Mac! I still remember him parking one high off the scoreboard well beyond the right centerfield fence in old Shea Stadium). He was truly "Bunyonesque." Then of course, as we all know, he fell out of favor.

But it appears the younger generation simply doesn't care much about the steroid revelations--don't look now, but his '85 Topps PSA 10's and 9's have virtually doubled in the last year! And there are over 260 PSA "10's" and 5,000 "9's!" Now either that is speculation running rampant, or one h_ll of a tidal wave in demand!

Best to all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-16-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Larry

Quote:
In my opinion the only thing iconic about Reese is his 1953 Bowman card. I would be surprised if you asked an average baseball fan about him and they could tell you anything other than maybe that he played for the Dodgers.
The amount of baseball history that the average current baseball fan is unfamiliar with is truly sad. They are missing out on a lot!

Larry

PS: Pete is 100% on the mark--you absolutely have to include Jackie Robinson!

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-16-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM
David M.

I'm surprised Ted Williams is falling in popularity. He was iconic in the 1950's. He was nicknamed "The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived", that certainly sounds iconic. Williams was a seventeen-time All-Star, two-time MVP, a six-time AL batting champion, and a two-time Triple Crown winner. His numbers are pretty darned good too. He had a lifetime .344 batting average, with 521 home runs, and a .482 on-base percentage, the highest of all time.

Another player who's card values always surprised me though, was Stan Musial. His card values never seemed to line up with the legend that he was in the Midwest where I grew up. I guess if he had played on the Yankees for instance, his card values would be higher. But that just means I can afford to collect them.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm surprised Ted Williams is falling in popularity. He was iconic in the 1950's. He was nicknamed "The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived", that certainly sounds iconic. Williams was a seventeen-time All-Star, two-time MVP, a six-time AL batting champion, and a two-time Triple Crown winner. His numbers are pretty darned good too. He had a lifetime .344 batting average, with 521 home runs, and a .482 on-base percentage, the highest of all time.

Another player who's card values always surprised me though, was Stan Musial. His card values never seemed to line up with the legend that he was in the Midwest where I grew up. I guess if he had played on the Yankees for instance, his card values would be higher. But that just means I can afford to collect them.
IMHO, Williams is just out of vogue/focus at the moment. A couple of years ago, before the current speculative boom in '50's and 60's material, his 1939 R303A rookie was very, very hot (one in SGC VG went for just under $1700 in 2014, a sale I quite vividly recall because I was sniped out of it in the last seven seconds or so. Only one I am aware of has popped up since, and I bought it, later happily adding the '39 V351 to keep it company).

He is, by the way, the greatest hitter of all time by the best yardstick I know: runs created versus the league average runs created per 27 outs over the course of a career. This is a Bill James statistic, the ultimate sabermathematician who has shown that runs scored versus runs allowed, when subjected to the proper formula, will yield quite precise estimates of a teams' won lost record over a season (generally within 2-3 games). Williams was No. 1 in this category, creating an astonishing 250% of the runs a league average player would create over the course of his entire career, while Ruth was second at 240% (Ruth created more total runs, but the conditions of his era made it easier to score runs, hence Williams' greater percentage in comparison to the league average player of his own era). Select others in the over 200% group would seem to confirm the complete legitimacy of this stat as a valuable yardstick, evening out conditions from era to era: Mantle (around 215%, as I recall), Gehrig, Cobb, Jackson, Hornsby and at least one other whose name does not immediately come to mind. Musial was quite good, by the way, at 193%, a figure topping Aaron, Mays, Foxx, Speaker, and Wagner, who were all in the 180% range.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-16-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:08 PM

I think Ted's problem lies in what his legacy really is to most non-avid baseball fans: he's the guy who had his head frozen.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Larry

Quote:
I think Ted's problem lies in what his legacy really is to most non-avid baseball fans: he's the guy who had his head frozen.
Well, the actions of his son, John Henry, and daughter, certainly didn't help in that regard, but if you read the most recent independent biography (sorry, I simply can't recall the author), there is substantial evidence that Ted himself had nothing at all to do with this sad scenario. John Henry Williams' most likely hope was to resurrect his dad into the autograph-signing machine he had made him into for the former's financial benefit. But the boom in his R303A rookie was simply oblivious to that sorry state of affairs. I think it would well have continued but for the current diversion being carried on with '50's and '60's cards.

Best, Packs,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-16-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
McGwire certainly was--he bolstered attendance ON THE ROAD to an incomparable, unfathomable degree, unmatched by anyone else since, except possibly Kershaw. Large portions of the crowd would even arrive early to watch him take batting practice (including me, in 1999 at old Tiger Stadium, where I saw him park four over the left field roof, which only Frank Howard, Harmon Killebrew and Cecil Fielder had ever done in a game. One of them cleared the roof not anywhere near down the line, BUT OVER LEFT CENTER! We were sitting in the left field upper deck, and while the long blasts of his teammates were landing rather softly in the upper deck, his were still coming with the velocity of cannon shots! No one hit them as far and as often as Big Mac! I still remember him parking one high off the scoreboard well beyond the right centerfield fence in old Shea Stadium). He was truly "Bunyonesque." Then of course, as we all know, he fell out of favor.

But it appears the younger generation simply doesn't care much about the steroid revelations--don't look now, but his '85 Topps PSA 10's and 9's have virtually doubled in the last year! And there are over 260 PSA "10's" and 5,000 "9's!" Now either that is speculation running rampant, or one h_ll of a tidal wave in demand!

Best to all,

Larry
I love watching the home run contest he was in at Fenway! McGwire was a beast.

Just remember to turn down the sound so you don't have to listen to Chris Behrman.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

the definition:
a : widely recognized and well-established
b : widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence

I think a big part of being an iconic baseball player is that player's relationship with the public. Babe Ruth is the most iconic baseball player ever because his fame transcended the sport even beyond his talent. He was great with the press, the fans. He was in the public eye through movies, advertisements, and personal appearances.

Here in Detroit we have Miguel Cabrera who is the best baseball player I have ever seen - bar none. Al Kaline recently called him the best Detroit Tiger player he's ever seen - and he's seen them since the early 50's. I swear, when he's hitting, it looks like he's playing softball and everyone else is playing hardball - he's that good.

But is he iconic? He rarely gives interviews. His English is still horrible. He rarely does personal appearances. He does no ads, even locally. In short, we as fans, don't really know him. Would a soccer mom in California know his name or recognize his face? I doubt it. In my opinion, he's not an iconic player - not because his talent is lacking, but because he's never made any effort to be in the public eye. As a fan, I wish he did more because next to Ty Cobb, he's the best Detroit Tiger of all time.

I do wonder if the influx of Spanish speaking players, who seemingly make no effort to learn English, will sadly prevent some great players from ever becoming iconic.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:07 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

That's a very interesting take Scott. One I never thought of.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I love watching the home run contest he was in at Fenway! McGwire was a beast.

Just remember to turn down the sound so you don't have to listen to Chris Behrman.
But Griffey won. McGwire burned himself out in the first round.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I think one of the reason that Musial isn't automatically named in this discussion is because he wasn't in the face of every kid on the east coast throughout most of his career. If you lived in the Midwest you knew his name from the radio broadcasts but the majority of population in the north east had all their own teams. You knew him as an opposing player if you rooted for an NL team but if liked an AL team, well no luck.

In the 40's practically no major card sets were produced. The early 50's saw the dawning of modern post war cards and the early 50's card wars but after Musial's 53 Bowman card he doesn't get his own regular issue card until 1959 (not including his 58 AS card). By then the 50's were about over, the west coast had teams, the Yankees were shown beatable (sometimes) and the Cardinals were not too good. Musial was winding down his career.

I know that a lot of guys in my age range, 40's, who didn't see or hear of players in the 40's and 50's until we started putting sets together missed out on those all important mid 50's Topps and Bowman Stan Musial cards.

I have a friend and fellow collector that learned practically all he knows about the era from collecting cards and couldn't understand why I was so infatuated with Musial. He had heard of him but not seen his greatness.

I think if Musial had regular issue cards throughout his career his standing popularity with today's fans would be higher.

Another reason is he didn't do all the show signings and tours of the 70's and 80's. He had already been signing everything for everyone for decades. You can practically find a Musial autograph on anything and everything. I'm not really an autograph collector but I do like Musial. I realized I have seven items signed by him!

All this to say some of the things that made others of his generation "iconic" didn't seem to happen to Stan the man Musial.

Drew
Old 06-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Nick Barnes

I tend to think that to reach "icon" status, you need to be great, charismatic,(being fan friendly helps) BUT,THE BIGGEST THING, is to stay on one team for a looong time.

If Chipper Jones had left in free agency to the Blue Jays he would have still been a great player but he wouldn't have been an icon like he was due to staying in ATL his whole career.

edit: and to add, the media helps, Jeter was treated like he was a top ten all time player, if he had played for the Twins we'd remember him in a similar vein as Barry Larkin. Great, icon of his team, but not this elite player of all time like the media treated him.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 06-19-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

The term "iconic" nowadays is an overused, and many times misplaced adjective to describe a celebrity, sports figure, etc. Whatever. The following certainly applies.......

Being fortunate (and old enough) to have seen lots of baseball games from 1949 - 1960, in my book Mickey Mantle and Jackie Robinson are the 1950's guys. And this is
how I gauge this......if you were busy at whatever in your everyday activities, and you were near a TV or radio, you stopped everything when you knew Jackie or Mickey
were at bat and your undivided attention was with them.

In the 1920's, it would have been Babe Ruth.

In the 1930's and the 1940's, Joe DiMaggio.

Also, in the 1940's, Ted Williams and Stan Musial.

In the 1960's, Sandy Koufax.

In the 1970's, Reggie Jackson and Pete Rose.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 06-20-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Hard to top those guys Ted!

So is there anyone from the 80's we can view as iconic? Ripken? 90's? Or 00's? Jeter?

10's? Harper or Trout?

There are some terrific players in the game now, but none seem to be iconic.

Has the scope of traditional media and social media muddied the term iconic? There certainly isn't any mystery with the players. I don't see the allure of todays player on par with those of the past.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:57 PM
J0hn Collin$

Part of this I think is knowing how to separate what is "iconic" vs. who is popular right now simply due to the passage of time. There are few people still alive today that really remember Babe Ruth well, yet we know from the history books and the highlight reels that we owe pretty much the foundation of the sport to him and what he did to keep it going after the Black Sox scandal. Back when I first started collecting cards in the late 1980's, there were a good deal more '50's stars that were super popular then who seem to have fallen out of favor a bit now. Musial, as already referenced used to be referred to as the greatest hitter in the NL, and was often compared with Ted Williams. You rarely hear that kind of talk now, at least outside of St. Louis. Bob Feller was a regular on the card show circuit, and much was made of his career - the excellent start as a youngster, the 3 no-hitters, the war service. But you are right, you rarely hear Feller's name brought up today (outside of Cleveland anyway) on a regular basis when discussing all-time great pitchers, or at least it seems to me. Feller in the end I don't think helped his own cause much - as he aged there were a few notable times where he said disparaging things about Nolan Ryan or made other comments to the fact where it seemed obvious that he did not want to acknowledge the times. Who knows. On par I think he was one of if not the greatest pitcher of his era. Some of that got borne out a few years back when he was ranked fairly high in the Sporting News top 100 players of all-time. Roy Campanella is another one I point to. Back in the 1980's, there weren't many players at all who had won 3 MVP awards in their careers. That seems to be totally overlooked today in light of the mockery that Bonds made of that award. But others since have come along and won more. I think Pujols has 4.

The point is I think that times just change. I would not define iconic as different just due to the popularity of the present era. Bottom line - collect your favorites and remember why they are important to you regardless about what the rest of the collecting community or society seems to have to say about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Or you can be "iconic" by being in the discussion about best ever - Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, John Unitas, Jimi Hendrix.
Darn! Burned by copy and paste laziness.

I'll listen to a few tracks tonight as penance

Steve B