NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default The Great Big American Auction show last night on ABC

Anybody else watch The Great Big American Auction show last night, on ABC ? My wife was channel surfing and stumbled across it when they were about to sell a Ty Cobb personal checkbook, and 132 (cancelled ?) checks. She elbowed me awake, inorder to watch. Item ended up selling for $90,000, and one of the consignors was very disappointed because "she knew it was worth alot more."

Personally, I thought the selling price (avg. $682 per signed check, before commission) was about right, without knowing the location of the cancellation stamp/punches in relation to Cobb's signature on the checks. Seems to me that decent checks with clean signatures are commanding $650-$950 each, while those with impaired signatures tend to run between $400-$700 each. I suppose my observations could be low, on account of not including commissions. Regardless, it was enlightening to watch.

Promotional mail sent to me, prior to show airing last night . . . ABC has announced that it will air The Great Big American Auction, in a very special television first made-for-TV auction event, at 10 PM (ET) tonight. The show will star Ty Pennington of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, one of America's leading reality TV personalities, and feature exclusively Heritage Auctions' experts, auction services and staff.

The special was produced by Cineflix (Auction) Inc. for ABC. Executive Producers are Lisa Levenson, Ty Pennington, Joe Houlihan and Simon Lloyd.

Ty Pennington has been transforming people's homes and lives for several years now as the host of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and has now found an exciting new way to change lives by turning their memorabilia and assorted hidden finds into treasures worth life-changing amounts of money.

After scouring flea markets, cellars, attics and yard sales to find one-of-a-kind items whose owners have no idea of their real value, Pennington, with a team of experts from Heritage Auctions, tags the best items and brings them to The Queen Mary oceanliner in Long Beach, CA for The Great Big American Auction. The exceptional collectibles range from first edition classic comic books to rare American currency to an early 20th century baseball icon's checkbook, and much more in-between, all chosen for their rarity, value and the uniqueness of the consignor's story.

"It's a great thrill to be part of this major network, prime time show, to work with Cineflex and ABC and a star the magnitude and class of Ty Pennington," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage Auctions. "We went to great lengths with our staff and experts to make sure that all these unique items have great stories and that they live up to Heritage's exacting consignment standards. We hope that everyone will enjoy the show as much as we enjoyed being a part of it."

Objects originally bought for mere dollars, or literally plucked right out the trash will go for thousands of dollars as their lucky owners' lives are changed for the better.

The Great Big American Auction will air on Thursday, Dec. 8 AT 10 P.M. (ET) on The ABC Television Network.

Heritage Auctions is always seeking "consignments with a story" for possible future TV projects. If you think you might have a unique item and a unique story,

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 12-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Joe M.

Yes, I watched the show. Heritage was the auction house handling the auction. I'm not sure when this was taped, but I thought the sale of the book of Cobb checks was some time ago. I may be mistaken.

I just did a search on NET54 for Ty Cobb checks and found the thread about these checks. The auction was by Heritage in April 2011.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 12-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Dave

Did I see that wrong? Were all the checks still attached in the check book?

Did that make sense to anybody?