NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2023, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmanfan View Post
Well, since your cost basis is so low, so you sell a Wagner for 50 you’re only going to net 30 to buy a 30 K Ruth, or mantle, etc. That’s the trade I would be unwilling to make personally. Your purchasing power reduces if you make a move..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By that logic one could never sell a card that has significantly appreciated, because there are always going to be taxes and probably transaction costs that take part of the nominal value. If I keep the Wagner, how does that confer purchasing power on me? We are right back to Yogi.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:58 PM

Right… unless there is a very compelling use of the funds, I do not advise selling a (historically) rare, appreciating asset just to have less spending power on a similar asset.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmanfan View Post
Right… unless there is a very compelling use of the funds, I do not advise selling a (historically) rare, appreciating asset just to have less spending power on a similar asset.

OK I understand that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:03 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Maybe said another way, the person (or persons) who inherit the assets will step up their basis to fair market value on the date they inherit. So if you bought it for $100, and then die when it's worth $1,000,000, your heirs will have a basis of $1,000,000.

So if they sell right away, in theory there should be no gain or loss, because the sales price should be equal to the fair market value ($1,000,000 in this case), which is their basis.

If they wait to sell, then any appreciation after that date would be taxed when they choose to sell. I suppose the recipient could also choose to pass it down again when they die, in which case it gets stepped up again, at least under current law.

A few years ago, there was a proposal to start to tax gains that hadn't been taxed in the last 90 years. But that proposal hasn't gone anywhere so far, so in theory the inheritance tax benefit process could continue for as long as your heirs continue to not need the money.
Hypothetically, do you know what the process would be like here?

- A person dies, and an old photo album gets distributed to a relative. Basically, "Hey, we're cleaning out the house. You want this?"
- Nobody searches through it for 10 years.
- Finally, they look through it, and find a T206 Doyle error card glued to a page.
- They consign and sell the card for 1 million.

Is there like a retroactive appraisal assessment for when the person received the album 10 years ago? Then, you subtract that 10-year-old value from the 1 million, and that's what you pay the gains on?

Or are you just paying on the 1 million since it was never appraised at the time?

-

And what about if the item was truly unique to the hobby with no past market value?

If there was a retroactive appraisal, would they just pull an educated estimate out of their butts that was smaller than the present day value from selling it?

(Sorry if this is derailing the thread a bit.)

Back on topic, Wagners are cool. I wish I had one.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:04 PM

I’d like to know the answer for that myself.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:22 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
How many of these were Wagners? I am not sure all cards/players are equal and, thus, may not all follow the same trends. I am not saying Wagners won’t be worth half in weeks/months, but I really doubt they will be.
No Wags, but Much lower pops, wasn't that one reason the last one sold so high?

I just can't fathom why all of a sudden sportcards around for 100 years are going ballistic. If wagners dropped 50% I'm sure plenty of people would pick up the pieces as there is demand.

When you look at a piece of cardboard vs. A porsche or a Tuscan villa, whatever floats your boat, it puts life in perspective. I don't know everyone's end game, but at some point either we or our family sell. I guess if one has it all, why not. Buy what makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-11-2023, 06:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof View Post

- A person dies, and an old photo album gets distributed to a relative. Basically, "Hey, we're cleaning out the house. You want this?"
- Finally, they look through it, and find a T206 Doyle error card glued to a page.

Is there like a retroactive appraisal assessment for when the person received the album 10 years ago? Then, you subtract that 10-year-old value from the 1 million, and that's what you pay the gains on?

Or are you just paying on the 1 million since it was never appraised at the time?

-

And what about if the item was truly unique to the hobby with no past market value?

If there was a retroactive appraisal, would they just pull an educated estimate out of their butts that was smaller than the present day value from selling it?

"Is there like a retroactive appraisal assessment for when the person received the album 10 years ago? Then, you subtract that 10-year-old value from the 1 million, and that's what you pay the gains on?"

I believe this is correct, although I'm not a trust/estate attorney I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-11-2023, 06:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
"Is there like a retroactive appraisal assessment for when the person received the album 10 years ago? Then, you subtract that 10-year-old value from the 1 million, and that's what you pay the gains on?"

I believe this is correct, although I'm not a trust/estate attorney I did stay at a Holiday in Express last night...
Right, the question is the step up basis at time of transfer, and where there is no contemporaneous appraisal or documentation, one would need to do a good faith estimate based on whatever information is reasonably available.

Old 09-11-2023, 06:50 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof View Post

-

If this is your situation, it’s time to hire a CPA who does this stuff every day. Most of these exciting fact patterns boil down to facts and circumstances and trying to document stuff. And even then, there’s going to be a lot of gray area, so it will come down to a question of how much you want to play in the gray area.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-11-2023, 07:02 PM

Back to the OP, which is whether the recent surge in Wagner prices is sustainable, as it could impact one’s decision whether to sell an M116 Blue Wagner….

Personally, I think Wagner cards, along with numerous other pre war players, have been very undervalued for a long time, and I think the recent surge is a reflection of that. Additionally, I think Wagner, for the reasons stated earlier, is in a unique group of transcendent players, who will remain desirable to future generations (Ruth, Cobb, Jackson, Gehrig, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Aaron). Add the relative rarity of Wagner cards (100+ years old, played a bulk of his career in the early 1900s before the rise of most T, D, and E cards, and very few tobacco issues), and I think you have a nice recipe for stability and perhaps additional appreciation. One last factor is that, I bet, most people buying Wagners at these prices can afford to hold them, which means there is unlikely to be a dumping of Wagner cards that leads to a value spiral.

Now, the question of whether now is the time to sell…? That is personal question that I think depends principally on whether you have a better use for the after-tax proceeds.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Right, the question is the step up basis at time of transfer, and where there is no contemporaneous appraisal or documentation, one would need to do a good faith estimate based on whatever information is reasonably available.
That is correct, we've done it with houses in my business before. I'm assuming searching Wagner values of 10'years ago would yield pretty solid information.

-
Old 09-11-2023, 07:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Back to the OP, which is whether the recent surge in Wagner prices is sustainable, as it could impact one’s decision whether to sell an M116 Blue Wagner….

Personally, I think Wagner cards, along with numerous other pre war players, have been very undervalued for a long time, and I think the recent surge is a reflection of that. Additionally, I think Wagner, for the reasons stated earlier, is in a unique group of transcendent players, who will remain desirable to future generations (Ruth, Cobb, Jackson, Gehrig, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Aaron). Add the relative rarity of Wagner cards (100+ years old, played a bulk of his career in the early 1900s before the rise of most T, D, and E cards, and very few tobacco issues), and I think you have a nice recipe for stability and perhaps additional appreciation. One last factor is that, I bet, most people buying Wagners at these prices can afford to hold them, which means there is unlikely to be a dumping of Wagner cards that leads to a value spiral.

Now, the question of whether now is the time to sell…? That is personal question that I think depends principally on whether you have a better use for the after-tax proceeds.
Agreed. It seems to me there has been an incredible amount of rare high quality Ruth cards available in the last few auctions, any thoughts on the seller(s)? Doesn't seem to be a top but damn, some folks were selling a lot of great Ruth cards.

-
Old 09-11-2023, 07:27 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:

Ryan, why is it that there aren't any pitchers in your list of transcendent players?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Ryan, why is it that there aren't any pitchers in your list of transcendent players?
Young and Mathewson?

Old 09-11-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Good question. I don’t think pitchers get the same respect/hold the same value as hitters. But if you were to list pitchers, I think we would have Young, Johnson, Mathewson, Koufax, and Nolan Ryan.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:06 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Good question. I don’t think pitchers get the same respect/hold the same value as hitters. But if you were to list pitchers, I think we would have Young, Johnson, Mathewson, Koufax, and Nolan Ryan.
Nice recovery, Ryan!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the additional cards noted. I’ll add them to the in-progress list and update the data. Happy to contribute a consolidated view for ease of reference and use/action by our hobby.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:29 AM
Alan Elefson

I too am amazed at the price for some of the portrait cards. Here is a much cheaper version (I think I paid 10.00 or less) that I like much better than almost all of Wagner's baseball cards. It is a page from a 1910 Baseball Magazine issue. I also included my two other Wagner items, a Baseball Magazine premium from 1914 and a weird postcard (picture of a picture?).

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img769.jpg (156.6 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg img770.jpg (153.3 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg img767.jpg (67.5 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg img768.jpg (61.8 KB, 617 views)
Old 09-12-2023, 10:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Or you hire a whore, er, an expert to appraise the item. Not needed if the card is a routine seller. There are enough sales of a 1954 Aaron in almost every grade so that you can pin down a value for most any period from any number of data scraping services. Lections Ruth, not so much.

Besides, who are we kidding? When one of us nutcase collector types die the wife or kids will fall all over themselves cashing out the collection as quickly as possible (I can definitely see my wife telling my daughter to "get those f***ing baseball cards out of my house"; she says it now, while I am still here), so post-death appreciation is not going to be an issue for them.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-12-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

With the IRS estate threshold (I forget what it is these days, $4M?) you would have to have a really valuable collection or be asset rich in other areas to be faced with a large inheritance tax. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
Old 09-12-2023, 10:47 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
With the IRS estate threshold (I forget what it is these days, $4M?) you would have to have a really valuable collection or be asset rich in other areas to be faced with a large inheritance tax. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
For 2023, the threshold is $12.92M.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...yed/estate-tax

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-12-2023, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
For 2023, the threshold is $12.92M.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...yed/estate-tax
States are typically much lower though. In Taxachusetts, for example, it's 1 million.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-12-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

CA has no estate tax. 0%

Or not...
Old 09-12-2023, 01:07 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
CA has no estate tax. 0%
I promise this isn't political, but...

I have a hard time believing it will stay that way forever. Of course, it's been that way for a while now, so maybe you'll get lucky.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I promise this isn't political, but...

I have a hard time believing it will stay that way forever. Of course, it's been that way for a while now, so maybe you'll get lucky.
I don't think it is going back. We have too many large ranches, orchards, vineyards and farms. At worst, we might go back into lock step with the Federal standard, which is pretty much what we do with similar taxes that have high thresholds.

Or not...
Old 09-12-2023, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

What do ranches and orchards have to do with it, don't follow?

Old 09-12-2023, 02:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
What do ranches and orchards have to do with it, don't follow?
They’re worth a lot of money and they’re usually family businesses, so they get passed down. And therefore it’s a hot button issue for estate taxes.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 09-12-2023, 02:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
They’re worth a lot of money and they’re usually family businesses, so they get passed down. And therefore it’s a hot button issue for estate taxes.
OK. But not clear to me why those people would object more to estate taxes or have any more political clout than the countless other wealthy people in the state.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-12-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:39 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
OK. But not clear to me why those people would object more to estate taxes or have any more political clout than the countless other wealthy people in the state.
My sense is that family farms have long been the poster child for the anti estate tax movement. It’s a very appealing approach optically, and no politician wants to be seen as being against farmers, small businesses and cute farm animals.

1963 Post complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 09-12-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Michael

There are also two different 1911 T5 Pinkerton Cabinets poses. If I am reading the pop reports correctly, PSA has one of pose 853 (vertical, fielding) and one of pose 872 (horizontal, batting) and SGC has four of 853 and one of 872.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 09-12-2023, 09:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
My sense is that family farms have long been the poster child for the anti estate tax movement. It’s a very appealing approach optically, and no politician wants to be seen as being against farmers, small businesses and cute farm animals.
That horse has left the barn, the politicians in this state are completely against farmers, ranchers, small business, and the middle class They're currently passing a bill to dismantle prop 13, so they're also against property owners of all types.

-
Old 09-12-2023, 10:26 PM

I was fortunate to nab this Wagner back in the glory days of ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColganWagner.jpg (46.1 KB, 529 views)
Old 09-12-2023, 11:25 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Lots of people object to the retaxing of wealth in inheritance, but the problem with farms etc. is that they typically are worth a lot more than the cash flow generated and in death a high tax on estate transfer would force many/most to sell to pay the tax. Not a popular option for a long-time family business, and one that is perceived as a societal good.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:18 AM
Mike P.ap

Default wow!

I just listed a Wagner on B/S/T and it sold faster than Elly De La Cruz can circle the bases!

Old 09-13-2023, 04:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

These are the only two Wagner cards I own. It is tempting to sell at today's prices, but I still enjoy owning these, and they would be tough to replace later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230913-152838_Gallery.jpg (201.6 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg 36747564.jpg (206.6 KB, 466 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 05:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
That horse has left the barn, the politicians in this state are completely against farmers, ranchers, small business, and the middle class They're currently passing a bill to dismantle prop 13, so they're also against property owners of all types.
Not true and also not appropriate for this forum. Take the politics elsewhere so we can keep talking about Wagner cards.

Or not...
Old 09-13-2023, 06:40 PM
Mike
mi.ke gia.m

I am the lucky winner of the memory lane blue wagner. I thought the card going into the auction would sell at 50k and i managed to pick it up at that price. I also own a pastel portrait Wagner SGC 5 i picked up in the heritage auction back in june. My end game is to hold onto my cards and pass them down to my boys. Looking fwd to chatting more on here.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothcutter View Post
I am the lucky winner of the memory lane blue wagner. I thought the card going into the auction would sell at 50k and i managed to pick it up at that price. I also own a pastel portrait Wagner SGC 5 i picked up in the heritage auction back in june. My end game is to hold onto my cards and pass them down to my boys. Looking fwd to chatting more on here.
As stated I own two 5s so I am delighted with the price, but I am curious what comps made you think going in it would go that high?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-13-2023 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:57 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Congrats on a very special card. And welcome to the boards. What a great way to make an entrance.

I had a really nice SGC 6 Pastel Wagner. I traded it to Sam and got back a nice PSA 4 Pastel along with '34 Goudey Gehrig in return. Although I may be a little upside down now in value, I'm still very happy I made the deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img078a.jpg (59.7 KB, 435 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Congrats on a very special card. And welcome to the boards. What a great way to make an entrance.

I had a really nice SGC 6 Pastel Wagner. I traded it to Sam and got back a nice PSA 4 Pastel along with '34 Goudey Gehrig in return. Although I may be a little upside down now in value, I'm still very happy I made the deal.
Hard to argue with downgrading to a still very nice copy and getting a major card to make up for it.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:09 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothcutter View Post
Congrats on a great pick up and welcome to the sub.

-
Old 09-13-2023, 09:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I'm still very happy I made the deal.

That's what it's all about in the end.

Or not...
Old 09-13-2023, 09:16 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Because chicks dig the long ball.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-14-2023, 07:49 AM

Default Wagner

That is an awesome Tip Top.

I love the Cracker Jacks, but my favorite Wagner cards (aside from THE card, which I will never own) are the M116 and E90-2. If I had kids, I'd pass them down and would never sell (unless circumstances called for that to happen).
Old 09-14-2023, 11:08 AM
Carl

Quote:
Then again, if you had called BS on the Jordan rookie prices two years ago, you would have been absolutely right. Tough to know. But Wagner selling for 20x Johnson or more just seems crazy to me.
Yeah - the Jordan rookie was insane. A simple look at the pop charts told us all that - NOT rare! (shhh, neither is that '80 Topps Henderson rookie - hah)

Re: Wagner, I've had this lovely card since trading for it at the '92 National in Atlanta. Had it graded just a couple of years ago.... prices recently for Authentic and 1.5s makes me very tempted to part with this fella! I still wonder if it's a good thought!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0145.jpg (161.2 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by CJinPA; 09-14-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:01 PM

REA’s 10-day extended summer auction started today, and this m116 Sporting Life Wagner portrait (blue background total POP of 65) is already over $15K from nearly 70 bids (not my card, nor bidding on it):
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=153632

Based on the last 1910 Authentic graded Tip Top Bread auctioning for $30K, and % increases for other portrait issues like this, are Wagner portrait’s baseline moving in the direction of 1952 Topps Mick? With 739+/- total graded Wagner portrait cards across all issues and 2,500+/- 52 Topps Micks, there certainly are significantly fewer Wagners than Micks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.jpg (122.8 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by brunswickreeves; 09-14-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

That escalated quickly ....

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=153632
Old 09-14-2023, 02:38 PM
Mike
mi.ke gia.m

Default Wagners going Bonkers

Do you see whats going on over at REA today? Blue portrait Wagner 1 going bonkers!! first day and already at 15500 without the vig!
Old 09-14-2023, 02:40 PM
Mike
mi.ke gia.m

sorry guys, im new and a little excited. Just read above 2 comments.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:42 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Hey Brunswick, just a heads up, you have the e286 Ju Ju Drums Wagner listed as a portrait on your checklist. It's actually a batting follow through action pose. I used to own one, sadly, it rests in someone else's collection now.