NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Jonathan Weil
Jon.than We.il

Default Rare T205 and T207 backs?

I've seen many postings on net54, T206Resource and elsewhere ranking scarce T206 backs. I would love to see the same kinds of rankings and checklists for T205 and T207 series and backs. Any suggestions? Or better yet, could someone out there post them to this thread, assuming the research has already been done? I've tried the search function on net54 and struck out. Maybe these lists have been posted here before, and my search missed them? -- Best regards, HoJo
Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Patrick N.

Default T205s

For T205s, there are three "elite" rare backs:

Very tough: 1) Drum (2) Hindu (3) Broadleaf. A little tougher but but not in the same league as aforementioned: American Beauty, Sovereign.
Very common: Sweet Cap, Hassan, Piedmont...i think there are some threads about this but don't know where

Last edited by mintacular; 04-21-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Here is what I have for scarcity with most scarce being top and least being the bottom...Drum and Hindu often flip flop as finds are found (several finds of Drum backed T205s in the past 5 years have put the numbers higher than Hindu).
Extremely Scarce
Blank Back
Hindu
Drum
Scarce
Broadleaf greenish
Broadleaf black
American Beauty black
American Beauty green
Piedmont Fact. 42
Cycle
Slightly Rare
Hassan Fact. 30
Sovereign
Honest Long Cut
Common
Hassan Fact. 649
Sweet Cap. black fact. 42
Sweet Cap. black fact. 25
Sweet Cap. red
Polar Bear
Piedmont fact. 25
Old 04-22-2012, 12:08 AM

I think Josh's list is on the money and I agree completely with the Drum/Hindu debate. I have a handful of Drum backs in the T205 set but no Hindus. I think they are tougher and have been for a long time. I agree that finds of Drum backs have caused that back to slip below Hindu backs. Blank backed T205s are almost impossible to find.
The T 207 blank backs are a head scratcher. I remember a guy on ebay (maybe a 54 member, I can't remember), put a ton of blank backed T207s on ebay and the prices were extremely reasonable. This was about 4-5 years ago. I think a lot of collectors backed off because they might have felt they were cut from an advertising sheet (like most T206s) and the prices were more than those of the same cards with Recruit backs, but not all that much more. To my knowledge only cards found with Recruit backs have also been found with blank backs but I would defer to Tim Newcomb on that point.
I believe the prices for Napoleon backs are still a bargain as they are very tough. I have no clue anymore on the Anon/Broadleaf/Cycle backs as they are the toughest but although T207maniacs have their own choice for which is the toughest, Cycles seem to sell for the most at the present time because of their bright red Cycle backs. Please note there are 2 different factories with Anonymous backs- one factory is found only in the cards with the scarce Anon/Broadleaf/Cycle back but the other one is a real mystery as there are theories that every card in the T207 set, from Recruit backs to Anon/Broadleaf/Cycle backs can theoretically be found with that Anonymous back and that factory number. It is 1 am and I too tired and too lazy to check which factory number is which with the Anonymous backs but just go to either Tim N.'s or my articles in the VCBC magazines.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Pup6913

Would this be the Anon Fact 3?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I think a lot of collectors backed off because they might have felt they were cut from an advertising sheet (like most T206s)
Can you explain the T206 reference as I'm under the impression these BB were cut from a standard sheet prior to the back ad being printed. There are several BB with front errors (ghosts, missing colors, color offset) that I would think would not have been used as an ad display piece.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Patrick N.

Default Imo

Cycles not tough
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Andrew- yes, Factory No. 3 is correct.
Patrick- I would beg to differ with you on the Cycles not being tough. I think you have to factor in that all non-Recruit back cards are tough in general and then examine which of the Broadleaf/Anonymous/Cycle backs are tougher for each card. I partly agree with you that Cycles are not the toughest of the 3 (I think Anonymous backs are the toughest) but after I completed my set I began to go after a subset of all red Cycle backs for the tough cards and believe me there are several which just don't seem to appear ever with the Cycle backs. I don't know if this is because collectors prefer that bright red Cycle back and hold on to them for their collections as opposed to the drab Anonymous backs or "in-the-middle" Broadleafs...
Chris- yes, there are non-completed sheets of T206s besides advertsing sheets.

And of course the almost impossible Red Cross backed T207s meet all qualifications of being "rare."

Last edited by tbob; 04-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Henry Levy

While the T207 Red Cross back is undeniably the toughest of the backs in that series [about a dozen are accounted for], the blank back cards are also hard to come by. I have seen even fewer of the "Brown Ink" backs, than blank backs and I believe they are very underrated ... they just do not get the attention of T206 brown backs, perhaps because they have been limited thusfar to the common Recruit brand.

I have had quite a few blank backs over the years and I have found that the T205's are the toughest to find, followed by the T207's and then the T206's, which also has proof cards with blank backs.

I wonder if anyone has seen proof marks on the front of any T cards other than T206 and T3 or had any T 205's or T207's labeled as "Proof" by the grading services?

Hank
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting that across the issues and across the sports [baseball and boxing] the T-era Red Cross backs are brutally tough to locate. All I can think is that either the brand was a lousy smoke or had very limited distribution. Anyone have any advertising materials that might shed some light on the latter possibility?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Jonathan Weil
Jon.than We.il

Default Grazie

Thanks for the posts!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Marc

Hank,
I agree that the "brown ink" backs are indeed very difficult and sometimes misidentified as often the black ink is faded. They do, however, exist on some of the Broadleaf/Cycle/Anon series cards but I would say are exceedingly rare. Here are a couple of Moores which illustrate both versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207mooresidebyside.jpg (65.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

INteresting, possibly a regional?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Interesting that across the issues and across the sports [baseball and boxing] the T-era Red Cross backs are brutally tough to locate. All I can think is that either the brand was a lousy smoke or had very limited distribution. Anyone have any advertising materials that might shed some light on the latter possibility?
As someone who collects ancillary items Red Cross didn't seem to be very prolific in putting advertising items out. I think Rmann has a few but I don't think I see any in my meager collection. Maybe that in itself is one of the reasons they didn't do well? Advertising might have helped them.