NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-29-2018, 01:03 AM
Larry

Default Joey Gallo: baseball or homerun derby?

Is Joey Gallo playing baseball, or a variation of homerun derby? Is this the direction the game should be headed in? Thoughts and opinions as you please.

Best to all,

Larry
Old 09-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

40 of his 102 hits are home runs. That must be near a percentage record. Maybe Adam Dunn topped that? Or McGwire?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-29-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM

It's most deffinetly the direction the game is going! Earlier in the season Stanton was striking out a ton and Tim Kutkjian stated that Tony Gwynn only struck out more than twice in a game 2 times in his career. Baseball has fell prey to modern technology in which launch angle and 30 pitchers in the bullpen are the norm.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Larry

I have frequently wondered if he consciously sought to emulate Rob Deer (230 lifetime homers; .220 lifetime BA in 11 years, plus what were then a ton of strikeouts). His development into this kind of player is probably the only possible thing that could have happened, given the fact that he is a big, strong guy whose swing begins in Mexico City and ends in Montreal. Personally I prefer rallies. The issue is most definitely NOT as the these kinds of players often try to frame it: a strikeout is just the same as any other out. That is a completely erroneous premise, as the issue is striking out, with its' ensuing .000 batting average, versus putting the ball in play, which carries on average a .300 batting average plus the possibility of getting on base via the error route.

Personally, I have grown tired of the ever-increasing frequency of the 3 "true outcomes"--a walk, strikeout, or homerun. I much prefer rallies coming from putting the ball in play, and stringing a series of hits together, with a sac fly thrown in here and there. Learning to approach the at bat, especially with a two-strike count, by attempting to just line the ball where it is pitched, is the key to that. To me, that's baseball. If you can only hit 40 homers by hitting .208 or so and striking out 200+ times, the game is telling you you are not really a homerun hitter. Going purely by recollection, even Harmon Killebrew's lifetime batting average was .256, and he hit 40 or more homers 8X.

Just my personal preference as a kid following the game and growing up in the '60's.

Sincerely,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 09-29-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Michael S.

For the first time in MLB history, there were more strikeouts than hits. Sabermetrics, launch angles, "specialty" pitchers, pitch counts, defensive shifts, etc. have brought us to this point.

I honestly believe the pendulum will swing back. To answer your question - yes; it is headed in that direction, but only temporarily. Baseball will be back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Is Joey Gallo playing baseball, or a variation of homerun derby? Is this the direction the game should be headed in? Thoughts and opinions as you please.

Best to all,

Larry

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM

Looks like Dave Kingman and Rob Deer were ahead of their time.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

KIngman was who I thought of. He was in that sort of range several times.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

All I know is that I would pay to see him in batting practice.

These days, everyone can hit home runs, but not like he does.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Larry

It would be interesting to know (and it can be calculated) how many runs he is giving up for his team by striking out with a man on third and less than two out. Obviously, putting the ball in play--especially to the outfield, as Nolan Arenado did yesterday against the Brewers to tie the game (at least for the moment)--carries considerable value. IMHO, such missed opportunities equating to runs lost for one's team should be calculated and weighed in with the other modern sabermetric stats.

Interesting responses,

Larry
Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Al Richter

Every time I see this thread I think of Jerry Callo
Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Every time I see this thread I think of Jerry Callo
His name was in all the papers last week.

he's dead!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Al Richter

No Josh, it was Jerry Gallo who died, Jerry Callo is trying cases in rural Alabama, home of the Sac Of Suds, where they have an original Mona Lisa
Old 10-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post

Best to all,

Larry
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-40-home-runs

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.