NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 PM

Default 1954 Topps Willie Mays SGC 50

1953 Topps #244

Hey guys... I've found an opportunity that I may pull the trigger on to buy a 1953 Topps "short print" Willie Mays SGC 50 (4). Trying to get some feedback to see how much buying interest there would be... How much would you be willing to buy the card for? Not necessarily looking to pre-sell the card, but I'd be willing to buy it and hold it for you if someone makes an acceptable offer.. Thanks! Marshall

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardshop; 07-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Mays

How about a 100.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM

do you want the bottom left, or right corner?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Steve Skibel

The card you have pictured is a 1953 Topps not a 1954 Topps
Old 07-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Yep, It's a 1953.. Sorry for the typo!

1953 Topps Willie Mays #244 "short print high number" SGC 50 (4)

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 53T Mays

I tried to sell my 53T Mays a while back, but decided I was better off simply recycling the card . I did and made out pretty good on the raw pulp market.

Ral G
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Frank Hay-zer

Default Mays

It looks to me like the clarity of the card is way off although it may be from a blurry scan...
Old 07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Brian J0hns0n

Why is this same exact card offered in a different thread by bowlingshoegiverouterguy?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunst View Post
Why is this same exact card offered in a different thread by bowlingshoegiverouterguy?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Chickens

Somebody counted their chickens before they hatched.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Somebody counted their chickens before they hatched.
You mean counted their eggs before they hatched.

Or maybe it is chickens because something is definitely afowl
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Apparently Marshall didn't get any interest in the card he was wanting to flip, so he didn't buy it from Lee.

Just a guess though.

r/

Frank
Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Note to Marshall, you are not making any friends with your tactics to try and buy and sell. Your methods so far have a bit to be desired.

Lee
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Sorry man.. Didn't realize you were on this forum, and certainly didn't know that you had a post about that card already up! Didn't mean to create any confusion.. Just was looking for some opinions on the card, but apparently you were already fishin' in this pond! I'm probably the youngest guy on here admittedly.. and I am completely new to the online marketplace, so I am learning as I go... It's kind of a trial and error thing.. I promise that I mean no harm in anything that I do, and I most certainly have no malice intent.. I guess you kinda learn by learning what not to do.. I know one thing... I certainly cannot count on anyone helping me out on this forum, unless, of course, I do something that they don't agree with....I don't recall anyone taking this "new member" under their wing to teach me the ropes...If I may speak freely... I would have thought that a vintage site would encourage new membership.. I would have thought that they would be pleased when new collectors find the forum.. Who do you think is going to be buying all of these vintage cards in 20 to 30 years? I am not 70.. or 60.. or 50.....or 40.... I am barely 30... I can promise that I don't know of any others in their early 30's that are interested in vintage... I can certainly tell you that no one less than 30 is... They all want the 1/1's.. the "refractors" and "parallel's".. (whatever those are).. They aren't interested in vintage.. So you can alienate me, or anyone else that comes on here that "doesn't do things the way that they're suppose to be done".. but what you're really doing is pushing the young guns out that will be the future of this DYING industry.. My entire life, I have lived, eaten and breathed vintage baseball cards.. I have pictures up on my website from when I was a dealer at 12 years old... I hung out at local baseball card shops as much as mom would let me.. There is no possible way for me to have 50 years of collecting experience, but I believe, for my age, I know a lot.. I am trying here, and that ought to count for something...So, sorry, I guess... - Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
Note to Marshall, you are not making any friends with your tactics to try and buy and sell. Your methods so far have a bit to be desired.

Lee

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardshop; 07-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Patrick N.

Default Marshall

Marshall, chill out. It is a very good community here //don't let a couple comments get you all bent out of shape. People here have been around the block a few times so when a newbie breaks some unwritten rules card (ex: pre-selling a card they don't own yet) it is commonplace to bust some balls a bit. Don't get defensive, etc. just try to learn from your mistakes and tread a bit more softly until you have established yourself. At the end of the day you can say and do what you want here for the most part but that doesn't mean you should or that people will agree with your comments/actions. It is an open forum on the internet so part of the price you have to pay is that others may make comments that you disagree with and/or irritate you.

Last edited by mintacular; 07-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

How do you explain selling reprint T206s on your site at prices reflecting them being real and not saying they are reprints. You need to step back and find out what this forum is all about and not jump to conclusions and try to take advantage of people on forums for your profit.

Take some time read the board. Find out what collecting pre-WWII is all about you obviously have alot to learn about the hobby, what's real, what's not, and the people in it.

Lee
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
try not to take advantage of people on forums for your profit.
Marshall, I think you need to listen to this point the most. There's nothing wrong with flipping cards for a profit. It's just bad taste to do it on the same forum on which you're buying them. And you don't even try to hide it.

There are a lot of good folks on here. Many of them are willing to sell here on the B/S/T for slightly less than market value because they don't have the hassle of eBay, auction durations, fees, returns, etc. There's also many that give good deals because they just want to help their fellow collectors. But when they think they're being taken advantage of or they know you're only going to try to flip the card for a profit, they may not deal with you anymore.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Do you need a hand out? Welcome new collector/flipper. Good luck hope you dont blame us for not selling the card before you owned it yourself.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Pete Sycks

You talked about how you don't know anyone under 30 who's into vintage cards. I'm 29 and there was a poll on here a while back about saying your age and I'm not the youngest on here. Best of luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardshop View Post
I can promise that I don't know of any others in their early 30's that are interested in vintage...
Wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Daryl

Wow, I'm 31 and didn't know until today that I didn't exist.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM
$teve O.

I know a couple people in my area that collect vintage that are under 30.
There are more out there then you think.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Happy Days! We found 2 others that collect! I think my point here is that if we don't figure out a way to branch out to the younger group, the vintage industry will inevitably die off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Wow, I'm 31 and didn't know until today that I didn't exist.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Marshall, chill out. It is a very good community here //don't let a couple comments get you all bent out of shape. People here have been around the block a few times so when a newbie breaks some unwritten rules card (ex: pre-selling a card they don't own yet) it is commonplace to bust some balls a bit. Don't get defensive, etc. just try to learn from your mistakes and tread a bit more softly until you have established yourself. At the end of the day you can say and do what you want here for the most part but that doesn't mean you should or that people will agree with your comments/actions. It is an open forum on the internet so part of the price you have to pay is that others may make comments that you disagree with and/or irritate you.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

I'll be the first to admit, that there is always more to be learned... I believe the "reprint T206's" goes back to the "no malice intent" argument.. I certainly don't claim to know anything about those, and am not in the market for T206's.. all you have to say is.. hey... those are not real, you should take them down...instead you say... "How do you explain selling reprint T206's at prices reflecting them as real".. This statement, sir, implies that there is malice intent on my behalf, that I knowingly, and willingly, am selling cards that I knew were reprints in an effort to deprive some other uninformed soul into spending his hard earned money on fake crap! This is certainly not the case, I can assure you... I am not, nor will I ever be an expert of pre-war cards, because I have no interest in them...The cards in question have been removed from the site...

Quote:
How do you explain selling reprint T206s on your site at prices reflecting them being real and not saying they are reprints. You need to step back and find out what this forum is all about and not jump to conclusions and try to take advantage of people on forums for your profit.

Take some time read the board. Find out what collecting pre-WWII is all about you obviously have alot to learn about the hobby, what's real, what's not, and the people in it.

Lee

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardshop; 07-09-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The problem here is not the forum, the cards, the hobby, the ages etc....

The problem is YOU. YOU are doing sort of unethical things by starting this thread to see if anyone would buy a card for more than OUR member is selling it for. That borders on unethical, at best. I advised you, in several emails, that 2 of your T206s were blatant fakes. Really bad ones. You then told me that you will go ahead and send them in to be authenticated. That is just plain stupid but at least you took them down. Then, this morning I see 2 more really bad T206 fakes on your site again. Smart people learn from their mistakes. I suggest you sit back and read and learn about what you are doing before trying to sell and make yourself look even more foolish. BTW, there are hundreds of guys on this forum in their early 30s or younger. There are probably a dozen or more teenagers too. And as far as taking someone under their wing, we do it all of the time. But we reserve that for people acting honestly and not trying to "guage" the price of a card we might buy so we can immediately flip it for a profit ALL ON THE SAME COLLECTOR venue (this board). Let this be your 2nd warning (inclusive of our PMs)....regards

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit, that there is always more to be learned... I believe the "reprint T206's" goes back to the "no malice intent" argument.. I certainly don't claim to know anything about those, and am not in the market for T206's.. all you have to say is.. hey... those are not real, you should take them down...instead you say... "How do you explain selling reprint T206's at prices reflecting them as real".. This statement, sir, implies that there is malice intent on my behalf, that I knowingly, and willingly, am selling cards that I knew were reprints in an effort to deprive some other uninformed soul into spending his hard earned money on fake crap! This is certainly not the case, I can assure you... I am not, nor will I ever be an expert of pre-war cards, because I have no interest in them...The cards in question have been removed from the site...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
I am not, nor will I ever be an expert of pre-war cards, because I have no interest in them..
So your name is vintagebaseballcardshop and run a store based on vintage cards, but have no interest in them or consider yourself an expert? What????? If I'm a BMW car salesman I better understand at least something about the car before I sell it to someone. You're contradicting yourself.

Last edited by sycks22; 07-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I'M A MAN, I'M 40.....

Just kidding...I am really 30....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (16.2 KB, 217 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Jason Albregts

I'm 37 now, but I've been collecting vintage since I was 12. Even then I knew a good thing when I saw it
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Within the site it states that specialize in post war cards to pre-1991, so yes, I admit, I am not in the know when it comes to T or W or etc. It takes years and years and years and years and years and years of devoted time to understand the complexity of that market, and unfortunately, I only have so much time to devote...Gotta give some to the wife and kids.. oh, and the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
So your name is vintagebaseballcardshop and run a store based on vintage cards, but have no interest in them or consider yourself an expert? What????? If I'm a BMW car salesman I better understand at least something about the car before I sell it to someone. You're contradicting yourself.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Same here.. I think you probably got a little jump on me though.. You probably started collecting before the overproduced hype? 1981 or 1982? I got in around 1986 and luckily was able to understand the whole supply and demand thing early on... I figured out that something wasn't right when I could buy a box of cards for $40, and then get lucky and pull the "it" card, which I could only sell for $15..So, I also went older! Vintage just has a great history to it.. I'd much rather have a nice vintage card any day (even at 12) than some hot new rookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I'm 37 now, but I've been collecting vintage since I was 12. Even then I knew a good thing when I saw it

Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Not a problem Zeus.... To clarify.. I didn't ask for opinions on the same forum,.. because as I stated, I didn't even know he was on this forum.. I also stated that I wasn't looking to pre-sell the card, I actually stated that "I am not looking to pre-sell the card or anything." I was looking for feedback on the card. You brought up the old T 206's.. I figured removing them from the site would have been sufficient...? The other T 206's were not added, and were there at the time that the previous 2 were removed. Had you pointed those two out at the time as the other 2, I would have removed them at that time. Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The problem here is not the forum, the cards, the hobby, the ages etc....

The problem is YOU. YOU are doing sort of unethical things by starting this thread to see if anyone would buy a card for more than OUR member is selling it for. That borders on unethical, at best. I advised you, in several emails, that 2 of your T206s were blatant fakes. Really bad ones. You then told me that you will go ahead and send them in to be authenticated. That is just plain stupid but at least you took them down. Then, this morning I see 2 more really bad T206 fakes on your site again. Smart people learn from their mistakes. I suggest you sit back and read and learn about what you are doing before trying to sell and make yourself look even more foolish. BTW, there are hundreds of guys on this forum in their early 30s or younger. There are probably a dozen or more teenagers too. And as far as taking someone under their wing, we do it all of the time. But we reserve that for people acting honestly and not trying to "guage" the price of a card we might buy so we can immediately flip it for a profit ALL ON THE SAME COLLECTOR venue (this board). Let this be your 2nd warning (inclusive of our PMs)....regards

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Cowboy wisdom:

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

Last edited by campyfan39; 07-09-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Not a problem Zeus....
Zeus???

Quote:
I also stated that I wasn't looking to pre-sell the card, I actually stated that "I am not looking to pre-sell the card or anything." I was looking for feedback on the card.
I don't understand. What kind of feedack were you looking for? When you state, "How much would you be willing to buy the card for?" then to me (and other too) it sounds like you're trying to pre-sell it.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Zeus is the one who rules all.. He comes down periodically to shed his forum wisdom AKA Owner of the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Zeus???

I don't understand. What kind of feedack were you looking for? When you state, "How much would you be willing to buy the card for?" then to me (and other too) it sounds like you're trying to pre-sell it.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Zeus???

The way you keep blundering along as a noob on this forum with all your innane posts, makes me think you'd be a perfect match for all the yahoos on the CU board. Just my dos centavos . . .
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

I was looking for feedback.. as I stated.. Again.. I'm new to the whole graded card thing, since that wasn't around when I collected... So I am aware that not all grade 4's are considered equal (from what i've been told).. As one member pointed out, the card appears to be blurry etc...

So yeah.. an answer to that question would be...I wouldn't pay more than X amount for the card, yeah it's graded a 4, but it's blurry, so it would probably go for the low end of what a 4 is worth.. etc..

Quote:
Zeus???

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardshop; 07-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Just having word association play.. I was a english major in college... no disrespect intended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
The way you keep blundering along as a noob on this forum with all your innane posts, makes me think you'd be a perfect match for all the yahoos on the CU board. Just my dos centavos . . .

Old 07-09-2012, 01:52 PM

I'm ready to close this thread now and move on lol.. anyone else?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Just having word association play.. I was a english major in college... no disrespect intended...
I think that pretty well says it all. Having been a english major and such.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I also love word association as I am a English Speaker...who was a great hitter on a team with Cy Young...too Young at age 30 to get respect from the Board when you act Ruth-less...like the Red Sox after Frazee's Hoop-er of a deal with the Yanks...now Wood you give it a rest?

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 07-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

My 53 Mays is scarred for life because of the village idiot.

An iconic card caught in the fray.

Lee
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM

No, I assure you, it is the same great card that it was yesterday, and it will make for a fabulous addition to someone's collection one day!
Who wouldn't enjoy having a '53 Mays?

Quote:
My 53 Mays is scarred for life because of the village idiot.

An iconic card caught in the fray.

Lee

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Frank Hay-zer

Default Mays

I had to chuckle at a few seemingly unrelated discussions within this thread that really came together for me...I'm the one who pointed out that the card looked blurry (unfortunately now, being that the card belongs to someone else)..I just turned 26.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Honestly....speechless. Wow.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default keep going

This is the type of thread I enjoy reading... guys just losing their minds getting into way way too into it, guys piling on, people adding their two cents..sometimes more... and then you sit back and say " its silly baseball cards..thats all it is..., but the passion is so strong..you gotta love it !!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Sadly Hangman this is not about the passion of the cards that most of us have but someone in it for the profit trying to come across as somebody he is not and thinking we are all fools here and continuing to dig a deeper and deeper hole for himself. None of his story adds up (in 1986 he had to be around 6 and figured out the economics of supply and demand?) Pleading ignorant to a side of the hobby he claims to be an expert with the name of his website?

This is not about the passion most of us have but some guy thinking he can take advantage of people that actually know why they are here and what they are doing here. It we be great if we never had to have threads like these up these people turn up every know and then and have to be exposed for what they are.

Lee Behrens
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I know a couple people in my area that collect vintage that are under 30.
There are more out there then you think.
I'm just turning 17 in Nov. and I love vintage cards haha. My friends don't understand, they think that vintage is the late 80's!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by UOFLfan7 View Post
I'm just turning 17 in Nov. and I love vintage cards haha. My friends don't understand, they think that vintage is the late 80's!
what are you doing here on a prewar board at 17? go post on facebook or talk to girls...the fun stuff. these cards will always be available (old guys who collect them will eventually die and sell).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
what are you doing here on a prewar board at 17? go post on facebook or talk to girls...the fun stuff. these cards will always be available (old guys who collect them will eventually die and sell).
Haha, I love baseball cards, I do talk to girls, and I personally hate facebook. I have one, but I never get on it (Maybe once every month!). Anyways, baseball cards aren't only for old people, although I will admit that very few of my friends understand why I love collecting them so much. Heck even my parents don't understand why it is so hard for me to part with one of my baseball cards.

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 07-11-2012 at 12:10 AM.