NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Ben L

Default 1932 Program from the Babe's Called Shot

I've always wanted to add one of these to my collection. It surprises me just how many I have seen come up for sale. It seems like there is always an example in Huggins and Scott, Heritage, Mile High and the other catalogs. I've also seen quite a few listed on eBay. Does it seem odd that so many have survived the years?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
I've always wanted to add one of these to my collection. It surprises me just how many I have seen come up for sale. It seems like there is always an example in Huggins and Scott, Heritage, Mile High and the other catalogs. I've also seen quite a few listed on eBay. Does it seem odd that so many have survived the years?
Ben,
IMHO, it's a World Series game- lots and lots of people in attendance (almost 50,000), and it's 1932, not 1903.

My experience is that many of the patrons hung on to tickets and programs from World Series games. Much more so than to regular season games.
One additional note, from collecting tickets for over 38 years I can tell you that fans from both NY and Chicago always saved ephemera, wheras this is not true in other sports towns for whatever reason. If something occurs in NY or Chicago it will eventually always turn up in the hobby.

Items that normally get squirreled away in peoples collections tend to surface when the economy is in a down cycle like recently....
Old 01-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Ben L

Scott,

Definitely true that more people would have kept a program or stub from a World Series game. Very interesting what you said about New York & Chicago fans saving ephemera much more than fans in other cities.

The only way one could tell if a program was from Game 3 and not Game 4 would be if the fan kept the scorecard. In your experience are these ever filled in later on to make the program more valuable? I suppose it could be done but even pencil writing (which most seem to be scored in) would have to show some age after 80 years, right? Thanks for your help!

Ben
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
Scott,

Definitely true that more people would have kept a program or stub from a World Series game. Very interesting what you said about New York & Chicago fans saving ephemera much more than fans in other cities.

The only way one could tell if a program was from Game 3 and not Game 4 would be if the fan kept the scorecard. In your experience are these ever filled in later on to make the program more valuable? I suppose it could be done but even pencil writing (which most seem to be scored in) would have to show some age after 80 years, right? Thanks for your help!

Ben
Ben,
Yes, if a person had a mind to do it, a blank, unscored scorecard could be filled in after the fact with pencil to make it appear that it was scored.

Hobby resource sites now exist where the entire play by play of Ruth's called shot in WS Game # 3 1932 are absolutely available.

Now the question of whether he actually called his shot is another matter altogether...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Ben,
Yes, if a person had a mind to do it, a blank, unscored scorecard could be filled in after the fact with pencil to make it appear that it was scored.

Hobby resource sites now exist where the entire play by play of Ruth's called shot in WS Game # 3 1932 are absolutely available.

Now the question of whether he actually called his shot is another matter altogether...
The other question, in regards to filling in the scorecard later, is whether it hurts or helps the value. I have a few scorecards in my collection and it is generally my experience that unscored scorecards tend to be considered more valuable by the hobby. Obviously there are exceptions to this, and the Ruth called shot game would probably qualify.

Personally, I prefer a scorecard that has been folded and stuck in a back pockets, maybe even had a drink spilled on it, while having the score neatly and legibly kept.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-30-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: because I'm a dork
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
The other question, in regards to filling in the scorecard later, is whether it hurts or helps the value. I have a few scorecards in my collection and it is generally my experience that unscored scorecards tend to be considered more valuable by the hobby. Obviously there are exceptions to this, and the Ruth called shot game would probably qualify.

Doug

Personally, I prefer a scorecard that has been folded and stuck in a back pockets, maybe even had a drink spilled on it, while having the score neatly and legibly kept.
Game used, eh Doug??

BTW, one of the favorite no-hitter tickets in my collection is from Juan Marichal's no hitter in 1963. The ticket has a perfect front, but has hotdog mustard on the back. This one definately was "game used". I never have given it the sniff test to check to see if I can smell the complimentary spilled beer.

I personally would prefer that a scorecard be scored, not unscored. That's the great thing about collecting. If we all wanted to collect the exact same thing there would be scarcely any chance of ever winning anything in an auction.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Ben L

I agree with you guys...I'd much rather have a ticket or program that shows it was really there. I understand that condition is a factor when it comes to collectibles but in my opinion something that was used should show use. A scorecard that has been scored is much more personal and representative of the game.