NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default OT. Holy crap., It was how long ago?

Posted By: Steve

These guys have some cool stuff for sale too. I really like the the ball caps with the mini helmet shields.

RIP "Chucky Love" and crew

http://www.fdnye16l7.com/index.html

Old 09-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: richie

Very Sad day. That day i remember being in Park Slope Brooklyn. Seeing paper all in the air and ground in front of me. Very sad day. May god bless them

Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Hopefully we as a nation never forget, no matter how much time passes.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

God bless all who died at the hands of the villians that day. May they rest in peace. We MUST never forget...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

America will never forget that day. Hard to believe it's been seven years. Since I live only a mile from ground zero, I will never forget seeing the flames coming out of the building...not on television but as it was actually happening.

I hope we never see another day like that in our lifetime, but there is always this gnawing fear that something bad could happen again. I can never get that thought out of my head.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

I was in Newburgh New York that day, just outside of Stewart's Air Force Base, I still remember all the military jets buzzing around, I found that comforting.

One of the darkest, most tragic days in our nations history.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i can't believe it was 7 years ago today...seems like yesterday...i saw it with my own eyes...very terrible. i am very frusterated and dissapointed that NOTHING has been constructed yet at the site. 7 years later, there should be buildings and memorials, etc rising from the ground...i was one of the participants in the memorial design competition, and wish at least there was a memorial in place...very dissapointing.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1171.html

Old 09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

At least the Pentagon memorial was completed today: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-memorial11-2008sep11,0,5387934.story Unfortunately, with the huge loss in NY, it seems like the Pentagon crash gets brushed aside as a minor incident, even though 184 perished there.

In Memorial Park - Yankee Stadium:

Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I know I will be critized for this but as a member of law enorcement for 25 years the first rule is Never! set up the command post at the exact scene of any catastrophe. I think the FDNY made a major mistake in setting up their command at the World Trade Center and I am not alone. The textbook says to set up a safe distant away and many heros would still be here if that was the case. Just for the record I spent my Tuesday 9/11/01 at this location and will be forever changed by this experience. I place no blame on anyone as it was totally unexpected but I know at least 9 people who perished that day mostly civilians including one female who got hit by flying debris literally next to me. My life has changed since that day. CN

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

CN, In the perfect pre-9/11 world you're absolutely correct. However, when the situation calls for immediate life rescue, all "Standard Operating Procedures" are generally out the door. Forego establishing Command in lieu of rescue.

Remember, The scope of this wrong doing had never been experienced in modern history.

Imagine an Engine Company stopping a block (or several) away from a burning tenement with families trapped, because the company officer worries about collapse. It may appear wreckless on his part, as he, or she is unconcerned with setting up Command at this juncture. Unlike the PD, where some nut is out to "bust a cap" in the first uniform on scene, these guys react fast by nature, experience and training to people that are actually glad to see the flashing lights.

It's all about priorities and the location of CP was a low one in the first quarter of this ground breaking event. They're not naive, many knew their fate that morning, they're bombarded with reminders of the hazards day in and out. They were scared, but had no time to dwell, their concern was to get as many employees as possible out to the street. They knew the impossible odds, but took 'em. Manpower was needed and fast, the clipboard location HAD to be a low priority. IMO, casualties were unavoidable.

Incidentally, The next AM, when things settled, the Truck was retrieved and returned (minus it's six passengers of course) to it's Midtown House filthy with some minor damage, but mainly unscathed. It had been parked and stripped of it's rescue gear several blocks away from the WTC. (All I have is a thumbnail of TL-7's last photo on this PC.)

Let me ask this... If it happened again, would those guys hold back?.. Would you? I know the answer. I've pulled up and met cops with bloodshot eyes, coughing up soot and wearing partially burned dress blues. We're all insane, to a degree.

Pardon my rant. Steve F

Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Steve I am also sorry for my rant. All the men involved are heroes. I just wanted to get off my chest what a lot of the rescue community still feels and that is that the leaders of the FDNY,PAPD and NYPD acted against the textbook. Yesterday was a hard day for me.CN