NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default Anybody think about their own mortality?

I lost my dad in 2011. He had just turned 65 and had retired six months earlier and then one morning had a heart attack and was gone. He was a coin collector. My mom was in poor health, so I had to take care of everything, including his coin collection. I don't know crap about coins, so here we are more than six years later, and Dad's coin collection sits in my garage. It might be worth a few thousand dollars, or a few hundred, or maybe just the face value of the coins. I have no idea.

I am now 13 years away from reaching the date when my dad passed. I got to thinking recently, what will happen to all my cards and stuff when I'm gone? My wife wouldn't know Mickey Mantle from Willie Mays from Ty Cobb. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't smarter to downsize in the event of me not being around to actually sell it all one day. I don't want my stuff sitting in someone's garage. I want them to sell it, make money, and have fun with it. 99% of my collection is raw, but I'm even wondering if I should get everything of value graded to make it easier to liquidate when the time comes (and hopefully, that time comes in about 50 years).

Do you guys have a plan? Do you have a checklist with instructions for your spouse or children on how to sell things, just in case?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Chris

I gave my wife a rough value of my collection and have had all the obscure stuff graded--she's not going to know that the faded looking card is a Venezuelan and is supposed to look like that and neither would a lot of dealers. I haven't gotten everything graded though as you just don't know who the leading grading company will be in the future.

I hope you have your cards for many years to come! And, I hope you open up your dad's coin collection and enjoy it!

Last edited by Bestdj777; 05-08-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Bry@n

Not a bad idea to try to make things more manageable, but I wouldn't get rid of anything you like too much just to accomplish that. An easy solution would be to give your wife the contact info for 2-3 of your hobby friends so that she has a person who your trust to call for advice should something happen to you.

Last edited by Jobu; 05-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:36 PM
N
Banned

I'm still young in comparison to the many seasons of life, but I am grateful to have a brother and dad who collect alongside with me. Card collecting isn't really my focus in the big picture (Jesus is), but I have recommended to them that, if they still are living when I pass, to send pretty much everything to PWCC and to keep the cards that have special memories associated with them. Simple and easy!
NJ
Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Ken McMillan

My wife knows what to keep in the family and she knows what auction houses I have bought from so she would use one of those or contact Leon for advise.

Last edited by kmac32; 05-07-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Not a bad idea to try to make things more manageable, but I wouldn't get rid of anything you like too much just to accomplish that. An easy solution would be two give your wife the contact info for 2-3 of your hobby friends so that she has a person who your trust to call for advice should something happen to you.
I think there are a number of pretty simple things that can be done including this above:

1) If you have people you really trust in the hobby, make sure your family knows who they are. If you can arrange in advance with them to help should something happen, it would be even more helpful (it would be fair to offer them something, say a percentage in return for helping, but that's a personal decision)

2) Have an inventory list of the items in your collection including where they are located and the value of each item. A simple Excel can be a big help. Labeling the cards with stickers and a basic numbering system that is referenced in the Excel is a big help.

3) The name and contact info of sellers like PWCC (assuming it's vintage cards) and/or auction houses that you would want the items sent.

4) Sell the items you won't miss. I don't think it's a good idea to sell things that you enjoy owning and will miss, but reconsidering what it is you really find joy in and what has been more a matter of the chase and you won't miss can clear up some funds and space and ultimately it could make it a little easier for family when the day comes. Selling items that you will miss in my mind is a mistake. A lifetime of work and effort in something you enjoy shouldn't have to be given up in the golden days of your life unless you need to (in my humble opinion).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Mike Lenart

I'm an Actuary so I think I deal with mortality everyday, that includes my own. Age and health are always a factor but we probably all have loved ones who we have lost way to soon.

My wife is 10 years older than me so I think she will pass on before me but I've also had a heart attack (10 years ago) and am diabetic. But I feel great and enjoy my card collection every day. Besides watching what I eat and exercise, my only real limitation is not to pick up stuff over 25 pounds (Our late Pug was 27 pounds and needed to be carried up the stairs and I made an exception for her!).

For both my card and toy car collections, I have people my wife, step-children etc. can contact. Most of my baseball cards are in complete sets in binders which I hope makes it easier to deal with. Most of my "rare" cards are graded but there is a whole bunch of oddball stuff that may be overlooked.

I guess it is something I should organize better. Maybe when I retire.

Mike
Old 05-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Dave_Berg

There is a detailed letter in my 2 safety deposit boxes. Within the 2 page letter is a simple statement; Call Al Crisafulli- (XXX)- XXX-XXXX

Last edited by Stonepony; 05-07-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

My wife knows cards fairly well. Enough to know what's junk and what's good. It's one of the side effects of discussing purchases over a certain amount. (Same for the stamps and the bicycles and random other stuff. )

And the kids are being taught, but slowly.

Hopefully I last long enough for them to be stable in their lives and for them to know what stuff they'd want to hang on to. (Like 20+ years from now, but you never know....)

Helping a friend go through their brothers stuff and connecting them with an auctioneer that was specialized instead of a general antiques dealer also helped me work to get things better organized. Not there yet, but it's a bit better.

Some of the better cards I've gotten graded to make things a bit simpler for them.

Steve B
Old 05-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Sam Lemoine

I took a few cards out of raw sets and sent them to PSA last month. I've always wanted raw cards in my raw sets, but cards like Clemente, Koufax, and Aaron rookies just seem like they need to be in slabs for resale. But, there are a lot of cards. And other stuff.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 PM
A.J. Johnson

I'm actually dealing with this right now. My little brother who was 41 died suddenly on Friday and I'm helping my parents go through his stuff. He wasn't into cards or coins but loved old obscure things that we don't know the value of or what his wishes were in what to do with them. Do your loved ones a favor and create a will or at least write down your wishes and then give them each a hug and tell em you love em cuz you never know when your times up.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 05-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Very sorry for your loss AJ. That's so young.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
I'm actually dealing with this right now. My little brother who was 41 died suddenly on Friday and I'm helping my parents go through his stuff. He wasn't into cards or coins but loved old obscure things that we don't know the value of or what his wishes were in what to do with them. Do your loved ones a favor and create a will or at lest write down your wishes and then give them each a hug and tell em you love em cuz you never know when your times up.
Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to his/your family.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Sam Lemoine

Absolutely. 41 is so very young. My prayers for you and your family.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Neal

Very sorry for your loss of your brother A.J. my sincere condolences to you and your family!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Really sorry Aj... I will be praying for you and your family (will do it right now)

Blessings.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM
A.J. Johnson

Wow thanks everyone. Means a lot. Still in a bit of shock to be honest. And I didn't intend to hijack Sam's thread (sorry Sam). The topic was just so immediate
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 05-07-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Me and my 82 year old dad with Alzheimer's, which is terminal and incurable, at a art fair on Sunday. I make sure to spend lots of quality of time with him.

Last edited by drcy; 05-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Larry P.

Good topic-

This coming mothers day got me thinking, this will be the first time in my life I will not be sending flowers to my mother, who passed last summer. Seems like a mistake not to send them, an oversight.

Have a Last Will and Testament and left detailed instructions for my family how to sell my stuff; even so, the wife says to me "don't you dare leave me with all those cards", so I have begun to downsize a bit and just keep the ones I really like. I was probably over-extended anyway, easy to get carried away by this hobby.

I'm in the medical field which is generally a positive but one of the downsides is the near daily exposure to death and disease. Yeah, I think about mortality, probably too much for my own good.

Life is short and precious guys, enjoy while it lasts.

Now on to the next auction -
Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry for your loss AJ. Unfortunately I know the feeling...Time helps somewhat...
As for the mortality subject, I need to go over that again with the wifey on where to send things. Does anyone have Battlefields number?

Quote:
I'm actually dealing with this right now. My little brother who was 41 died suddenly on Friday and I'm helping my parents go through his stuff. He wasn't into cards or coins but loved old obscure things that we don't know the value of or what his wishes were in what to do with them. Do your loved ones a favor and create a will or at lest write down your wishes and then give them each a hug and tell em you love em cuz you never know when your times up.

Last edited by Leon; 05-08-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 AM
T0dd M@rcum

First, very sorry AJ.

I am no longer young and I have a half decent collection. I am not all that worried about my mortality...of course I am concerned about it, but not overly so. I have been very blessed. We have never missed out on much of anything because of my cards and I enjoy having them and the relationships I have through them. I am planning on being here another 30 years. I hope to enjoy them all that time. My son knows enough to probably do ok.

I have disposed of a large collection before, and I can tell you it's hard.

People worry too much. Enjoy life's blessing while you are here.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 AM

AJ, very sorry to hear. Hang in there man.

On a lighter note, I too have cited Al C, which says a ton about his intergrity.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Al Richter

Default Collections

Lost my brother at age 37, and his two daughters in an auto accident in which they were passengers, so I understand the pain Larry and you have my sympathies.

I have been collecting all Topps Bowman sets since 1957. I seldom selling any thing except the few dupes or cards that I had upgraded

I have a will ( including a prepaid funeral) and an executor ( an attorney son)
He has my inventory of everything, new and old, and my sets-pre 1976 are insured. My executor and my financial adviser have the names of three hobby friends to help sell it off. Although the collection would bring in a decent money, cards have always been a hobby for me and whatever money the cards would bring would just be a bonus for my family

My wife recently met a woman whose husband was an avid long term collector who had died suddenly and expectedly 7 years earlier. She was looking to down size and wanted to sell what turned out to be a huge post war collection that included Bowman and Topps set runs, autographed photos, old periodicals, many old minor leave sets and autographed baseball.

I put her in touch with Al Crisafulli at Love of Game, along time friend in the hobby. Al ended up making three trips to San Antonio to get everything . I know a good deal of it has been sold in recent auctions. . She was in much the same situation I was in, kids with no real interest in keeping the cards, which took a room and several closets in her house

One problem she had was no ledger or recepts showing basis. She was trying to use the 2007 Standard Catalg to establish a stepped up estate value. I am no tax attorney so not sure if that works.

I have receipts for most of my stuff but confess they reside in big envelopes and boxes and not on convenient ledger sheets
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Although we have never met, I, too, am sorry for your loss!

My wife & I go over what I have fairly often, but we have never formed a "Game Plan" about how she might want to dispose of things in the event that I pass before her. Luckily, I have 3 brothers who still collect who will be happy to help...I hope!

Regarding your Pa's coins - and this is NOT intended to be a solicitation for business...

Being retired from my profession as an Environmental Geologist, I now help families & friends dispose of collections, partial estates, and "stuff" on commission. Sometimes its done via eBay or here and other times via contacts that I have made AND TRUST over the years It is NOT always an easy thing to do as there are SO MANY times when sentiment is tied into an item. THOSE items should remain with the family.

That being said, I am sure that there are people who do what I do in your area, too. Find one or two, sit down and meet/interview them - you WILL find one of us with sincerity, dignity, & integrity who will help you move your Dad's collection or at least assist you with what is good and what is not so good.

I find that it is STILL fairly easy to judge people by meeting with them face-to-face.

I would be more than happy to talk with you, if interested. Please feel free to PM me.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:52 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Lotg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
There is a detailed letter in my 2 safety deposit boxes. Within the 2 page letter is a simple statement; Call Al Crisafulli- (XXX)- XXX-XXXX
My wife and I have had the AL C talk,too!! Great fellow to have to turn to!!
all the best,
Barry
Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Dave

ajjohnsonsoxfan... I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Sorry to hear of your loss AJ, that is too young.

For me I have thought about this quite a bit over the last year. My father died at 72 and most of my uncles have died right about the age of 70. Last year I turned 55 and started thinking that I might only have 15-17 years left with my wife and kids so I joined a gym, starting working out, lifting weights and doing cardio. I also started eating better and have dropped 25 pounds and just feel better. My take is, I'm not going to leave my loved ones if there are things I can do about it.

As for my collection, it is quite meager compared to many on here. I have two step daughters who have no interest in it. My wife knows where I keep a spreadsheet with the amount I paid for each item and I have provided some names of folks who she should contact to help her move it all.

Greg

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Brian clif.ford

Default Why?

Why post a thread like this on a baseball card forum? What? At least use the water cooler section.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Me and my 82 year old dad with Alzheimer's, which is terminal and incurable, at a art fair on Sunday. I make sure to spend lots of quality of time with him.
I am sorry to hear that your dad has Alzheimer's, David. He was one of our authors when I worked for Prentice-Hall, so although I've never met him I feel like we have a bond.

My mom had Alzheimer's, so I know what it's like dealing with someone who was similarly afflicted.

Enjoy together the remaining time you have left.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
I'm actually dealing with this right now. My little brother who was 41 died suddenly on Friday and I'm helping my parents go through his stuff. He wasn't into cards or coins but loved old obscure things that we don't know the value of or what his wishes were in what to do with them. Do your loved ones a favor and create a will or at least write down your wishes and then give them each a hug and tell em you love em cuz you never know when your times up.
Sorry for your loss, AJ. I'm going to a service tomorrow for my future son-in-law's aunt who died last Saturday. She went for a physical every year and had no symptoms, but was diagnosed with Stage 4 uterine cancer on April 13. She was 52.

While I don't technically have a "plan" for my cards, my wife is aware of the short list of people with whom I routinely communicate about my cards. In addition to that, there is a list of dealers (which I will hopefully keep current) that my kids can deal with if they decide no one wants to hold on to the cards.

These days I'm all about family dinners, family vacations (we're all going to Ireland this summer), and having the kids down to our shore house as much as possible. They're going to miss me when I'm gone, but I'll probably miss them more.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM
Paul Lehr

I think about the mortality aspect of collecting every now and again but I don't worry too much about it. When I'm dead I could care less if my stuff is sold or to whom, I'd just like to see my wife get as much out of it as possible. I've given my wife the contact information for three different auction houses and the person to contact at each. I'm sure she'll do fine.

If I'm lucky enough to live to an old age (I'm only 43 now) I can definitely see myself selling off the collection sometime in retirement. It's a great hobby but no one can take this stuff with them.

Last edited by LEHR; 05-10-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Default However ...

I know you can't take it with you, but I do have this Urn in my Cardinals man cave !Urn.jpg
Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I'm 33, so I don't think about stuff like this. I do like discussing the hobby with my mother and brother-in-law, so they have a pretty good idea as to how much some of my cards are worth. Now my wife is a different story. I'm not going to bother trying to explain anything to her, or she'll just do this:

"Huh? How is this stuff worth so much? I don't get it. Why would people spend a lot on this stuff? Who is he? Why don't you sell this, so that way we can buy XXX or buy XXX, what do you think? Blah, blah, blah ... "

Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I'm 33, so I don't think about stuff like this. I do like discussing the hobby with my mother and brother-in-law, so they have a pretty good idea as to how much some of my cards are worth. Now my wife is a different story. I'm not going to bother trying to explain anything to her, or she'll just do this:

"Huh? How is this stuff worth so much? I don't get it. Why would people spend a lot on this stuff? Who is he? Why don't you sell this, so that way we can buy XXX or buy XXX, what do you think? Blah, blah, blah ... "

Part of me is laughing but the other part of me isn't since my wifw says the same thing.

Mike