NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default OT- laptop info

Hey guys,
Desktop hp went belly-up again. Looking for a laptop while the darn thing gathers dust at repair. Any thoughts on brands...anything other than hp. Getting tired of reading the board/ebay/auctions on my smart phone. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 6 mos ago

About 6 mos ago I updated my 6 yrs old desktop. I bought an HP Pavillion notebook, with a 2720 Intel processor and 8gb ram. Probably the best money I have spent in the last 10 yrs. Absolutely love it. I have a 19" LCD, wired keyboard and optical wireed mouse on my desk, which it connects to with 2 USB ports and a VGA port. There might be other options but I can vouch for this one. Absolutely great and love it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Jimmy

If you don't want to convert to Apple OS, I would suggest a Dell or Toshiba laptop.
From my experience, both make pretty durable laptops.
I've been using a Toshiba Portege for quite some time now and I'm very happy with it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default woops

I noticed you don't want HP. I can assure you that anything you buy is going to be from China, Mexico or Japan....mainly China. Dell and Toshiba make nice products too. These things are like gallons of milk lately. They are almost all the same. I would concentrate on the processor, ram and O/S.....and my favorite size laptop screen is 15-16".....good luck!! (I have sold computers for the last 22 yrs)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM

I had a Dell laptop and I was satisfied with it. Service was satisfactory. When things broke they were fixed in a timely manner. I would have another one right now, but I got an apple. I like my MacBook Pro, except for the word processing program which is marginal. I'm a writer, so that's significant.

Last edited by drc; 01-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I had a Dell laptop and I was satisfied with it. Service was satisfactory. When things broke they were fixed in a timely manner. I would have another one right now, but I got an apple. I like my MacBook Pro, except for the word processing program which is marginal. I'm a writer, so that's significant.
I am also a writer and have managed to move my day-to-day operations exclusively to the iPad. I've purchased the ZaggMate Keyboard and purchased the DocsToGo App and haven't run into any issues yet except for the auto-correct which I disabled after a week or so.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Joe M.

Toshiba, HP or Dell, in that order the cheapest being theToshiba. Unless you are running a large business it doesn't matter, they are all good and all will eventually have to be replaced.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM
H@nk Smolen

i have toshiba x505,
love it, but i dont use it to travel with, its just too big, use it more like a desktop
Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I've always had an Acer laptop. Don't know the last model I had but this one is an Acer Aspire with 3GB memory and 250 GB hard drive. My first Acer I bought in 2007 and just got a new one. The old one never ever had any problems at all. Just wanted to upgrade. Dependability is key to me and Acer has never let me down. This one was very reasonable as well. Around $320 if I remember correctly. Cannot beat it.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Mike Henson

We have 4 laptops in the house, two Toshibas, a Dell and an Asus. I will never buy a Dell again,it is the least used and the one with the most problems. Just after the warranty was up the motherboard went down, Dell fixed it but I had to buy a one year extended warranty through them. Now, just after that warranty expired the mouse starts to act up after using it for a period of time and the battery is pooping out according to a warning that keeps popping up. The Toshibas have been rock solid I use them the most. I bought the first one in April 2008 no problems whatsoever. I have a friend who owns a computer repair business, he recommended Toshiba back in 2008 he was right.

Last edited by henson1855; 01-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Wouldn't recommend Dell. There was wiring issues to the motherboard on a lot of shipments. While the problem should have been corrected, this issues was enough to turn me off. Stay away

Acer has a history of motherboard failures. My wife's crashed in October after a year. My IT director's crashed after 4 months. Reading online, this appears to be an issue.

For my job, I just purchased 18 Lenovos (desktops and notebooks in a police department). I have beaten my work one to death, it's two in February, and never a problem. I would recommend a Lenovo from my experience. Other brands that I have worked well is Asus and HP (I only use HP at home).

I'll agree Toshibas are good. I just don't like the way the keyboard fees. Too springy. HP has the best keyboard (in my opinion) followed by Asus. If you get a Lenovo, try to find one without the trackball-thing in the middle of the keyboard, that is my only complaint (at work use the notebook monitor and a 19 inch for dual monitors and a USB mouse so it's not an every day issue.

Just get 4GB or more of RAM and an HDMI port. You can still find computers without the HDMI port. I connect the notebok to the TV through HDMI and have a 37 inch monitor or stream a movie from Amazon.

Last edited by mcap100176; 01-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Jon Canfield

Mac all the way. Once you make the switch, you'll never go back.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Alan U

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505 that I haven't had any problems with.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Hello everyone, I am typing to you from my brand new Toshiba Satelliite L775. I want to thank everyone that shared their opinions with me. It made my purchase a lot easier. Sorry I didn't elaborate before, but I really HATE typing on the smart phone (I'm a pre-texting generation kinda guy). Anyway, I've always been an HP person but have had problems with the last 3 purchased (seems to be motherboard issues) and this last go round with their customer service has been the final straw for me. I'm really happy with this Toshiba and was up and loaded with security and microsoft office within 20 minutes and just have to move over my saved files.
Thanks again to everyone!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Jimmy

Excellent choice. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 2 of them

Along with our Mac Pro (my daughter) and HP (me) we also have 2 Toshiba notebooks. The Toshibas have been fine though they are older and need more ram and a new OS, which we won't upgrade due to their age. I bought my wife the top of the line Ipad2 yesterday. She likes it more than a pc or notebook. My daughter and my wife have Iphones. I have a dumb phone and am perfectly happy. Good luck with your Toshiba, you will do fine with it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Josh Margolin

I would not purchase a Dell. I had one in law school, and when the thing was about 6 mos. old, it completely crapped out on me, with all my notes, right before finals. Slowly, the same thing started happening to other students. My parents recently bought a new computer, and despite my warnings, they bought a Dell. The computer gave out after a fairly short period of time.

Guess I got to the party too late. I have a toshiba as well. Excellent choice.

Last edited by margoaepi; 01-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.