NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default does this card holder look funny to anyone??

Posted By: pete

ebay item 5178121272...its a Ty Cobb Cracker Jack graded by SGC as a 30, 2 good...look at the lower right hand photo...are those "off color" spots on the edges of the holder signs of tampering?? the card looks a lot better than a 30/2....

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

I think the pictures look funny...someone asking for 10 G would be expected to post non-fuzzy pictures. Limited feedback, including some dicey comments (including a hand job??), all says stay away for me.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

the pics are a little too unfocused to tell whether that card is in better or worse condition for the grade. As for the marks, I do not believe that there is any evidence of tampering - the frosted edges that you are thinking of occur when s/o opens psa holders - not sgc holders. Every other picture of the holder looks fine to me. I will say, however, that Ive never tried to open an sgc slab, so I dont know if its possible to open one without damaging it thus allowing it to be resealed. Finally, while the seller has low feedback, he does offers to meet a prospective buyer who wants to see the card in person. If anything, I would like to see some more recent feedback.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

i didnt know that about SGC holders, ive only seen it on PSA myself...as for the photos for grade, check the corners...they dont look very rounded to me, he doesnt say anything about creases or surface wear that would of brought down the grade...i emailed him those questions....
pete-

Old 03-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I've cracked a number of SGC holders and haven't been able to do it without leaving frosted edges.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

No, the holder doesn't look tampered with. Poorly taken images.

SGC is TOUGH on Cracker Jacks, VERY tough. I had cards that were ex/mt but stained, some more than others, and they came back "30" and "40". This does look like a decent card but I'm not surprised by the grade at all.

Considering the quality of the SGC holders I don't see anyone opening one and being able to replace the card without it being very obvious.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Jay,

Are you saying that youve cracked open an sgc slab and after doing so, the slab was reuseable (and, of course, Im not saying that you reused it)? Ive never known this to be a problem with sgc slabs.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the slabs are reusuable, but the frosting on the edges is very evident. Old slabs are nice to reuse for cards you would never send in to get get graded. They only thing you can't reuse is the label,but the insert and slab are still good.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

What is the current market value for a 1914 CJ Cobb in a SGC 30 holder. I live 15 miles from the seller & might actually make an offer. Although well below 10K. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.