NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Default 1950s Bread Labels

Are the Tip Top bread labels worth significantly more than the Bread for Energy labels? I just picked up a Bread for Energy Mize in nice condition on ebay for a little over $80. I then went after the Tip Top Rizzuto (also in nice condition but graded PSA1). It sold for well over $300. As you would expect, the Campy, Snider, and Spahn Tip Tops went for even more. But I would expect Mize to go for more than Rizzuto, all other things being equal. So, do Tip Tops generally go for this much more than Bread for Energy labels? Why? Are they more scarce? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mize.jpg (72.7 KB, 241 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Justin

The labels that say "Bread for Energy" at the bottom are Fischer's. "Bread for Energy" at the top are Northland. Those Tip-Top labels were in really nice shape. It just takes a couple idiots to drive the price up (me being one of them as I was under bidder on the Snider and Campy).

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 02-11-2019, 08:35 PM

Would love to hear more from the experts on these bread labels. I have some basketball and football ones and wouldn’t mind collecting the baseball ones as well but don’t know much about them.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The main thing to know is that collecting them is a dying hobby. Prices realized on all but the rarest and most desirable ones have fallen in recent years.

The Tip Tops are just harder to find. The BFE bottom logo versions (Fischers) are the easiest, I think. And they are all hard to find without some sort of paper loss. I bought this one because I thought of it as high grade for the issue:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-12-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Val Kehl

Nobody has yet mentioned what are by far the rarest bread labels from the early 1950's - the 1952 National Tea bread labels, which are scarcer than almost all, if not all, non-test, post-WWII card issues, IMHO. Just finding an example to see what they look like is a challenge - try to find one at the National. I just did a quick google search, and the first one I came across is this one that H&S auctioned in 2015 - note the selling price. Shameless plug - I would trade my first born for a National Tea label of Mickey Vernon, one of my favorite Wash. Senators when I was a kid.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Justin

Here's a pic to help with identification. If you know of other variations or if anything here is shown wrong let me know and I'll fix it.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Bread

Also the very tough 1948 gentle bread, bread label
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
Also the very tough 1948 gentle bread, bread label
Thanks Larry. I'd never seen those. Too bad they're only Braves. They won't make it on my type card wantlist.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM

Any thoughts of the rarity of baseball bread labels vs basketball or football Bread for Health labels?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM

Any thoughts of the rarity of baseball bread labels vs basketball or football Bread for Health labels?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The National Tea labels are super rare. I remember that H & S sale, i was chasing the Al Rosen.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...