NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Here Is the Place, if any on this forum, for Gun Discussion

First question:

Why does anyone need to own an assault rifle?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
First question:

I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to guns. For this reason I avoid them and don't really want them around. YES MY FEAR STEMS FROM IGNORANCE!

That said, I would think the answer would come down to the same reason people own pieces of cardboard with pictures of men playing games on them. People just want it for fun. Those guns have no use in a daily living any more than our collectibles have, but they may enjoy having in a collection or shooting them.

My question is why would you need to carry it around in daily living with kids around?

I don't even trust my children near my wife's open purse because of fear of the mess they would make with the chap stick, lotions, and hand sanitizer. So it is beyond me to think of them being around loaded guns like the mother in this story (not associated with the above picture):
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-gun/21062089/

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-30-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM

I will admit that I don't really understand why you would need to take a gun to a baseball game. There are police everywhere and besides that, I can't imagine a situation where you deciding to use your weapon in a crowded stadium would not put the people around you in danger. The police are there for a reason.

Last edited by packs; 04-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I will admit that I don't really understand why you would need to take a gun to a baseball game. There are police everywhere and besides that, I can't imagine a situation where you deciding to use your weapon in a crowded stadium would not put the people around you in danger. The police are there for a reason.
Well, there you go again, trying to be rational.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM

I understand the argument that it's your right or whatever, but from a logical perspective, what do you expect to do with that gun? And how do you expect to shoot your weapon in a crowd and not hurt someone else? It just seems to me that a baseball game is not the place for your weapon. There are police everywhere to maintain order and make those types of decisions.

Last edited by packs; 04-30-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
I will admit that I don't really understand why you would need to take a gun to a baseball game. There are police everywhere and besides that, I can't imagine a situation where you deciding to use your weapon in a crowded stadium would not put the people around you in danger. Other life situations, sure. But not at the baseball game.
The police are not always around to respond in the parking lots (see Bryan Stow), in the streets surrounding the stadium, on the subway (Bernie Goetz), or in a whole host of other places.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Like I said, in other life situations, sure. But in the crowd at the baseball game? How can you shoot your weapon inside the stadium and not put people at risk? Plus if someone sees you with that weapon, they don't know who you are. If they tell a cop and that cop approaches you and your gun, that could spark a pretty serious confrontation and create a lot of fear for people around you.

Last edited by packs; 04-30-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

In the examples I listed, leaving the weapon in the car wouldn't make it available for the situations where it is needed. Leaving it would probably be worse, because of the risk of theft. And you don't give firearm owners enough credit; the ones I know when questioned by police, calmly explain that they have the required license, produce said license if necessary, and that's the end of it.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
First question:

Well, it is because it is called the Bill of Rights and not the Bill of Needs.

This is my first post here as a 67 year old newbie and I hope it does not get
me kicked off.

I notice that each has an opinion and some are diametrically opposed to other posts. That's the way it is supposed to be instead of one person or group dictating to the rest of the folks.

Thanks for having me.

Larry
Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Banned

no, you wont get kicked off larry. your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. why would someone start a discussion if all they could expect is EVERYONE to agree with them. That wouldn't make sense. There would be nothing to discuss.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks, Travis, it is nice to meet you.

Larry
Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonejacklarry View Post
Well, it is because it is called the Bill of Rights and not the Bill of Needs.

This is my first post here as a 67 year old newbie and I hope it does not get
me kicked off.

I notice that each has an opinion and some are diametrically opposed to other posts. That's the way it is supposed to be instead of one person or group dictating to the rest of the folks.

Thanks for having me.

Larry

Here,here!

Last edited by Jason; 07-08-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 PM

I think the better question to ask is why you want an assault rifle.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:42 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
They're pretty freaking cool to shoot
Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
They're pretty freaking cool to shoot
+1
Old 07-13-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Why do you collect baseball cards?

That's the beauty of this country so far, anyway. The "assault rifles", a name tagged dreamed up by the media, is a piece of equipment like any other piece of equipment. An assault rifle, by definition, is an automatic weapon. The AR15 is semi-automatic. Fully automatic weapons are regulated by a whole different group of laws.

Any firearm is not dangerous by itself. Every time a drunk driver hits a pedestrian there is never a call for General Motors or Budweiser to be boycotted.

My dad told me that one should not ever fool around with stuff that one does not understand: rattlesnakes, hand grenades, red headed bartenders (I think there was a story there), etc.

If you don't want one, then good for you. No one is making you buy one. I never did understand why that whenever someone shoots up a church or school the push is one to take away weapons from the people that did not do it.

And I learned how to shoot real "assault" weapons in my two tour senior trip to SE Asia in 1967-1969.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Well I was asking why you want an assault rifle specifically as opposed to other guns. You've more or less said: because I can have one. That's fine if that's your position. I'm just curious why people need them in their houses.

For the record I collect baseball cards because I enjoy the history behind them and players they depict. I don't collect baseball cards because it's not illegal to collect them.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 AM
Wes

You'll never need a gun twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Getting back to the original question:

There is a simple answer for that, which is the foundation for the second amendment. To assist in the overthrow of a tyrannical government should it become necessary. What more of a reason does one need?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 PM

Except one could argue we have had tyrannical governments and nothing has happened.

This is what the pro gun people want. Fear, fear and more fear. It's propaganda and there's many people with this country with a sickening bloodlust. The First Amendment has its limits, don't see why the Second shouldn't.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:25 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Except one could argue we have had tyrannical governments and nothing has happened.
One could, but it would be a silly argument. Equating what "could" happen with what "should" or "should not" happen.

Quote:
This is what the pro gun people want. Fear, fear and more fear.
Are you talking pro-gun or anti-gun here? Seems "fear, fear, and more fear" are being preached by the gun regulators.

Quote:
It's propaganda and there's many people with this country with a sickening bloodlust.
Emotional rhetoric much? So let me try. 'It's propaganda and there's many people with this country who would trade their freedom for security within a nanny state.'

Quote:
The First Amendment has its limits, don't see why the Second shouldn't.
Exactly. But those First Amendment limits are on the ACTION, aren't they? So shouldn't the same limits apply to the Second Amendment?
Old 12-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
One could, but it would be a silly argument. Equating what "could" happen with what "should" or "should not" happen.

Are you talking pro-gun or anti-gun here? Seems "fear, fear, and more fear" are being preached by the gun regulators.

Emotional rhetoric much? So let me try. 'It's propaganda and there's many people with this country who would trade their freedom for security within a nanny state.'

Exactly. But those First Amendment limits are on the ACTION, aren't they? So shouldn't the same limits apply to the Second Amendment?
From what I see, there's more fear from the pro gun crowd than than the anti-gun crowd.

People talk about government tyranny. Well...

John Adams: Alien and Sedition Act
Abraham Lincoln: Suspension of Habeas Corpus
Woodrow Wilson: Sedition Act of 1918
FDR: Can be considered a tyrant if you look at the Japanese internments.
George W. Bush: The left considered him a tyrant
Barack Obama: The right considers him a tyrant

Plus there's the espousing of the term judicial tyranny ever since the Obergefell/Hodges decision. Don't forget about the wiretapping and NSA spying.

There's talk of government tyranny as the reason for assault weapons. Yet there's been a lot of tyrannical behavior from our country's leaders the past 240 years. How many overthrows or uprisings were there?

You can hate me, you can call me despicable names and you can wish awful things on me, but I am anti-gun and that's not a stance I plan on changing.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Fear does indeed drive the pro-gun crowd.

Fear of history repeating itself - take away the guns to more easily control the populous, as has happened throughout history. I would remind you that most people throughout history have not lived in freedom. The US is very unique.

Fear of the slippery slope. Ban assault rifles and what's next? The anti-gun crowd will not be satisfied with just a ban on assault rifles, they never have.

Fear of the Left who, inadvertently, limit freedom through attempts at doing what's best for all: health care, taxes, business regulations, education, welfare, and hell, even school lunches.

You can't legislate against evil. I hold no ill will toward the do-gooders, but they're terribly misguided in believing that they'll ever prevent evil from occurring. Assault weapons exist - the technology is here. You can't eliminate them any more than you can eliminate abortion or drugs.

We make people take classes and pass tests before they get behind the wheel of a car, maybe we can beef up the tests, I don't know. Better technology on the guns perhaps? Some way to prevent anyone but the owner of the gun from being able to use it?

I'm much more interested in the psychology of these people. What's in their heads? How did they become so screwed up? How do we find these people before they commit these evil acts?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:07 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
You can hate me, you can call me despicable names and you can wish awful things on me, but I am anti-gun and that's not a stance I plan on changing.
And that about sums it up, doesn't it? Open minded to a fault.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:22 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post

most gun people sound like this to me...delusional, paranoid, and hard-headed. and they want more guns, kinda scary!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:14 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
most gun people sound like this to me...delusional, paranoid, and hard-headed. and they want more guns, kinda scary!
Sounds like the anti-gun crowd to me. An example?

"You can hate me, you can call me despicable names and you can wish awful things on me, but I am anti-gun and that's not a stance I plan on changing."

Nothing delusional, paranoid, or hard-headed there.