NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Tim B
Banned

Default 1951 Wheaties Premium Photo Mickey Mantle

I recently won this card raw in an auction (really I was just very lucky) after chasing it for the last 20 years. When you have a very small budget and collect Mickey Mantle cards, you sort of recognize that certain cards will be unattainable. You're just never going to own one; I came to grips with the fact that I'll never own a 1952 Topps 311. I'm OK with it. Maybe old and gray one day. Maybe. So that, 51 B, 52B, 69 Super in any kind of decent grade (I always felt a really nice 3 or better was good enough for me) would always elude me. Whenever I save for a high end card, something important takes that money. And I'm not complaining. This is luxurious hobby for vintage collector. At least I hope that it is. And for a number of reasons, price chief among them, I had the Wheaties rookie card on the list. A bit of a dream come true to own one and the card will ship to me Monday. The good folks at SGC will be grading what I am hoping will be their twelfth shortly there after. I have graded this card from the scans a 4 so its pretty much guaranteed to be a 3 (at best). That is a reflection on BOTH my lack of skill as a grader AND my inability to see the flaws in my own cards. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, I am and always have been absolutely fascinated by this card. The scarcity (of graded ones anyway), the only photographic picture of Mickey at such a tender age on a rookie card, and the (near) fact that this card is a nice 'photoshop' job by an artist from the 1950s who doctored a rather famous photo from the 1952 World Series by adding pinstripes and removing the background. I am aware of theories that surround the card (and the others from the set) but I have never seen definitive proof of an issue date - here or elsewhere. I searched these threads pretty well and while each theory had solid supporting evidence, I never saw a 'final verdict' on the date of issue for the set.

So I am starting this thread in the hopes of accumulating more information (total graded population, history, lure, what happened to them, recent sales - literally anything) about the card and to (hopefully) see a few - graded or raw - from those who may have one - beaters, gems, whatever you got. I'll get the ball rolling now and I'll also post the card below when it comes back graded from SGC - which, coincidentally, is when I will actually be happy. I have not made a decision as to whether or not I will sell the other items from the lot (since you'll see them, too, below) despite already receiving some nice offers from some of the good members of net54.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mickey Mantle Lot APRIL2017.jpg (67.7 KB, 457 views)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Owen R

There have been a few threads here in the past about this card. I believe the card was issued at some point between late 1952 and 1955. A board member posted the original photo used for the card which had a note saying the picture was taken during the 1952 World Series, which is likely since I'm 99% sure Ebbets field is in the background. The only non-Hall of famer in the set is Al Rosen who was the 1953 AL MVP, so that could pinpoint the issue date between late 1953 and 1955. However, I have yet to see any evidence that can 100% date this issue to a specific year.

I'm writing this quite quickly so sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.

Hope some of this info helps,

Owen
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Tim B
Banned

I already saw this one below from 2009. Fabulous read. Many excellent contributions and theories but sort of light on facts - apologies if anyone is offended by this statement when it comes to actual issue date. After reading it, I agree that it is highly probable that it came out in 1952 or later.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175675
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Chris

It's a 1951 issue per the main grading companies and that is good enough for me .

(In reality, it's pretty conclusively not from that year). Probably 1953 or later.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 PM

Default 1951 Wheaties Premium

The original link to the Getty photo, discussed in the 2 major threads on the 1951 Wheaties Premium Mantle is here (Click the right arrow, 4th photo):

Getty Photo

The photo was dated “1/1/55” and it was later concluded that Getty's dating of the photo was incorrect. The original photo was taken in Oct of 1952 (see below). In addition, they speculated that the pinstripes were added to the photo.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 04-09-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM

See the reverse of the image, which indicates this photo was taken 10/6/52 at Ebbets Field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Reverse.jpg (44.4 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 1951 Front.jpg (71.3 KB, 399 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 AM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
See the reverse of the image, which indicates this photo was taken 10/6/52 at Ebbets Field.
Yeah, I got tons of info from your earlier thread link (above).

Thank you very much!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Tim B
Banned

I wanted to add an update to the thread but also not overdo it, still being a new guy and all. Here's where we're at:

The card lot that I won arrived last week. All 4 items look pretty nice in hand and obviously I immediately took a closer look at the Wheaties card. I guess card is a bit of a misnomer, as it is more photo than card, but I consider it a card (and I have the microphone so YOU WILL LISTEN! - Robbie Hart ). Anyway, the corners seemed a little rounded - not too bad - and it seemingly had no creases (no lab but good eyesight and a small LED flashlight with a dark basement). And then all of a sudden I realized that I have absolutely no idea how to grade it since it is unlike any card I have ever handled. As a card, I would call it a hopeful '4' but I really don't know if the standards I am applying hold any water. Like I said, it's more photo than card and its 5x7 size and lack of comparable cards I've ever handled kind of leaves me up in the air. I will stress that I truly don't care about the grade it receives; it's rarity* and it's image - he looks like a high school senior - more than do it for me. This is probably the closest thing I'll ever have to a rookie card for my Mickey collection as I am way too cheap. Lastly, according to my calculations and tracking, I should get a receipt confirm email that it has arrived at SGC at some point today. I will post again when the card is finally home to me again, hopefully by middle of next week...

*I'll mention again, I would love to see other people's copies - graded or ungraded - for the point of both comparison AND drool inducement. In my research, I know some people on here have one (or more) and I'm curious if they know more about the withertos and whyfores of how their scale is applied to this type of issue.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Chris

Delete.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-17-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Not sure how to upload from my phone and it turned out blank.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Here is mine.....I got this at a Sterling auction maybe 3-4 years ago. I purchased this even though it isn't a card because I am a Mantle collector. The size of the card is somewhat cumbersome....

Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Wheaties Premium Mantle Reduced.jpg (72.3 KB, 292 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Ben W.hitener

Default mine...

Here is mine... There are two PSA 9's out there somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-03-05-0018_resize_resize_resize.jpg (73.6 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Zach, the Wheaties may not be a card, and it is over-sized, but the photo is marvelous. The look in Mickey Mantle's eyes is mesmerizing. I love it. For what it's worth, I think a very appealing display will have a nice mixture of standard size, the small round Salada Coins, larger cards (Stahl-Meyer Franks and the Exhibits), and then the majestic pieces (1960 Post Cereal and the 1950s Wheaties Premium). It's all about sheer looks and eye appeal of the items. I think you did great in your selection, bro.

Since we have come to find out Don Wingfield snapped Mickey's picture on October 6, 1952, that was an extremely significant time frame in his career. Mickey was the main significant difference for the Bombers in defeating the Brooks in that knockdown drag out 1952 World Series.

Just my two cents, bro. ---Brian Powell
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

I was the guy who first broached the question in the old thread about why this is considered a 1951 issue.

It has been proven conclusively it is not from 1951.

I think someone should do the same research on the other photos in the set to see if they can be dated. I am betting on mid 50's say 55 or 56.

Ashburn won the batting title in 55 and the Indians won the pennant in 54 so the inclusion of Feller, Rosen and Lemon, and Yogi and Campy won MVP's in 55.

I know they each won others earlier, Campy 53 and Yogi 54, but with the Ashburn connection I am betting on 55 or 56.

Fred
Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Tim B
Banned

Fred,

I am aware of all your good work. And the dating of the Mantle photo seems plausible though I don't know if it's 100% conclusive. My sister in law makes the same face in every photo she posts on snapchat and Instagram so I'd be comfortable with 90-95%.

Hope that's ok. Also, I know people had mentioned contacting General Mills - what about tracking the photo from the photographers end?

I hope this is all ok - I own one now and I'm not trying to mess with its 1951 designation. I suppose without proof from General Mills or Wheaties this will be a 1951 'card.'

Thanks to those who posted theirs. Anyone else got one?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
Fred,

I am aware of all your good work. And the dating of the Mantle photo seems plausible though I don't know if it's 100% conclusive. My sister in law makes the same face in every photo she posts on snapchat and Instagram so I'd be comfortable with 90-95%.

Hope that's ok. Also, I know people had mentioned contacting General Mills - what about tracking the photo from the photographers end?

I hope this is all ok - I own one now and I'm not trying to mess with its 1951 designation. I suppose without proof from General Mills or Wheaties this will be a 1951 'card.'

Thanks to those who posted theirs. Anyone else got one?
Tim:

I did no work. Only asked the question. Others DOCUMENTED WHEN the photo was taken.

It's no skin off my nose if you accept it it 100% or the 90-95% you are comfortable with.

Just curious how you can not be 100% when the photo was taken at the World Series in 1952. What more do you need to convince you?

You say your sister in law makes the same face in all her photos? Is her entire pose the exact same? Her eyebrow not raised in one? Her elbow in the same exact position, her lips parted the same, her fingers on the same exact place on her bat, her hat the same distance from her ear?

Get what I am driving at?

When is your birthday? How can you be sure? Your parents told you, but other than that what proof do you have? I would be skeptical if I were you. :>) just as you are about when the photo was taken.

I do agree that it is too late to change any designation for the set. It will always be 1951 Wheaties even though there is now proof ( in some of our eyes) that it can't be 1951, and I have seen no proof it is even a Wheaties issue. It looks more like an early version of the Jay publishing photos to me.

Fred
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 AM
Chris

Default Here's mine.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Tim B
Banned

Fred,

If I saw a legitimate looking copy of my birth certificate with a date of yesterday - yes, I'd question it. And my sister in laws pictures would surprise you.

Funnies aside, I say 90-95 percent because in the earlier thread you contributed to we had a Getty Image with a date of '1955' that momentarily 'proved' the photo could not be from 1951. Then we got another photo that 'proved' the image was from 1952. Forgive me for being skeptical when we are relying on type set on the back of a 65 year old photo to determine the authentic date of it being taken. I mean, we've already had two examples that claimed to be conclusive 'proof' that this card was not a 1951 issue, one of which was already disproved. I could type 1951 on my senior portrait from High School but that doesn't make it from 1951.

Do YOU get what I'M driving at, Fred?

Like I already mentioned, I am looking for a smoking gun. What you have provided is very solid circumstantial evidence but without the photographer testimony about the date I don't reach 100% certainty. I appreciate you jumping back in and I have read the other thread from start to finish. Great read, for sure.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
I was the guy who first broached the question in the old thread about why this is considered a 1951 issue.

It has been proven conclusively it is not from 1951.

I think someone should do the same research on the other photos in the set to see if they can be dated. I am betting on mid 50's say 55 or 56.

Ashburn won the batting title in 55 and the Indians won the pennant in 54 so the inclusion of Feller, Rosen and Lemon, and Yogi and Campy won MVP's in 55.

I know they each won others earlier, Campy 53 and Yogi 54, but with the Ashburn connection I am betting on 55 or 56.

Fred
Fred,

Prior to the original series of posts or somewhere along the way, I called one of the General Mills archivists to get their input on the promotion. After a week or so, they indicated they searched their records and they did not actually have any record or information on the series of photos which we now call the 1951 Wheaties Premiums. Oddly, they did have information on the NY promotion featuring tin trays in '52, which they indicated was exclusively limited to NY.

Z
Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Tim B
Banned

Fred,

My last post, after re reading it, sounds snotty. Sorry, that wasn't my intent. What I mean is this - I'd like to see the Sporting News where the photo was originally inserted or something more meaningful. An invoice, order form, someone who pulled it from a box (or however it was acquired, since that seems to be in question as well). I am motivated purely by curiosity. It's a pretty interesting card with a pretty interesting story. As a Mickey Mantle fan, I don't care if it was released in 51 or 55 - I'd just like to know.

And 95% is a pretty high degree of certainty, anyway.

I think we've seen four so far - all graded. Anyone else got one? Anyone have an ungraded copy or copies? Let's see em!

Last edited by Timbegs; 04-19-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Clean up language a bit
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Chris

Quote:
Fred,

My last post, after re reading it, sounds dooshy. Sorry. What I mean is this - I'd like to see the Sporting News where the photo was originally inserted or something more meaningful. An invoice, order form, someone who pulled it from a box (or however it was acquired, since that seems to be in question as well). I am motivated purely by curiosity. It's a pretty interesting card with a pretty interesting story. As a Mickey Mantle fan, I don't care if it was released in 51 or 55 - I'd just like to know.

And 95% is a pretty high degree of certainty, anyway.

I think we've seen four so far - all graded. Anyone else got one? Anyone have an ungraded copy or copies? Let's see em!
I sold my ungraded copy a while back, but it was pretty well worn--I wish I had a photo of it. As for pulling these from a box, etc., I think that is highly unlikely. I honestly am not sure these were ever directly distributed to the public. If you look at the pop reports, the vast majority of these are in high grade, suggesting that they could have made there way directly into the hands of adult collectors. The one I had was one of the only ones I've seen that exhibited real use and looked to have been out there in the general public for some period of time. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I sold my ungraded copy a while back, but it was pretty well worn--I wish I had a photo of it. As for pulling these from a box, etc., I think that is highly unlikely. I honestly am not sure these were ever directly distributed to the public. If you look at the pop reports, the vast majority of these are in high grade, suggesting that they could have made there way directly into the hands of adult collectors. The one I had was one of the only ones I've seen that exhibited real use and looked to have been out there in the general public for some period of time. Just my thoughts.
Do you know if BVG or GAI ever slabbed one? I added up PSA and SGC but can't access the other pop reports. If not, there's 80 graded copies with hopefully mine being number 81.

I'm about 95 percent sure it's authentic
Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Chris

Quote:
Do you know if BVG or GAI ever slabbed one? I added up PSA and SGC but can't access the other pop reports. If not, there's 80 graded copies with hopefully mine being number 81.

I'm about 95 percent sure it's authentic
I don't know as I haven't typically focused on pop reports outside of PSA, as that one typically drives prices. As for yours, I am 100% certain it is authentic as it is not fake.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

They aren't photos, but lithographs on stock comparable to the Dexter Press Premiums. So if someone wants to call them cards, that should be fine. Without clicking on the link and reading all that, I had always heard that they were un-issued test issues (or prototypes or whatever you wish to monicker them) and originated from a General Mills executive.

Last edited by drcy; 04-18-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
They aren't photos, but lithographs on stock comparable to the Dexter Press Premiums. So if someone wants to call them cards, that should be fine. Without clicking on the link and reading all that, I had always heard that they were un-issued test issues (or prototypes or whatever you wish to monicker them) and originated from a General Mills executive.
David,

That would explain why the General Mills archivists had nothing in their files regarding this....

Z
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Tim:

I did no work. Only asked the question. Others DOCUMENTED WHEN the photo was taken.

It's no skin off my nose if you accept it it 100% or the 90-95% you are comfortable with.

Just curious how you can not be 100% when the photo was taken at the World Series in 1952. What more do you need to convince you?

You say your sister in law makes the same face in all her photos? Is her entire pose the exact same? Her eyebrow not raised in one? Her elbow in the same exact position, her lips parted the same, her fingers on the same exact place on her bat, her hat the same distance from her ear?

Get what I am driving at?

When is your birthday? How can you be sure? Your parents told you, but other than that what proof do you have? I would be skeptical if I were you. :>) just as you are about when the photo was taken.

I do agree that it is too late to change any designation for the set. It will always be 1951 Wheaties even though there is now proof ( in some of our eyes) that it can't be 1951, and I have seen no proof it is even a Wheaties issue. It looks more like an early version of the Jay publishing photos to me.

Fred
Would have been a lot easier to simply get another photo of Mantle in the same pose at the same angle than to clean up the '52 photo and add the pinstripes. Far from proven it is the very same photo. I seem to recall that Bob Lemke categorized it as being from '51 based on them originally coming out when a Wheaties exec retired (Mantle's consent to use the photo was reportedly never obtained) and that person's statements regarding the date of origin. But to each his own. That the grading companies have not changed the date of issue may or may not be significant, but I think it's hardly likely that they simply are ignorant of the threads appearing on Net54. For my money, it will stay a 1951 issue long after all the posts here have been forgotten. Quite a nice early Mantle in any event, and it is in fact a card rather than an actual photo, as it has a halftone printing dot pattern.

Just my buck and a half's worth.

Regards,

Larry
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswhiten View Post
Here is mine... There are two PSA 9's out there somewhere.
*It live, but my intention is about the description. The hype about the rising prices on 52's and the ocean dumping (which has nothing to do with the item) and so on and the glory of it being a rookie 1951. And being offered #1 in the AH lisiting.
I would love to see all the hard data put forth on this board to dis-prove the fact. Love to see mention 52 world series and etc.
Check out the PSA 9
http://www.smalltraditions.com/Rare_...-LOT31405.aspx
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Tim B
Banned

While I truly was hoping to wait until I had card in hand and post the photo with the news, I have to share the outcome now:

When I logged on to the SGC website yesterday, I was doing so because I hadn't since I got one of those super emails. If you are like me, then you'll agree with me; one of my favorite things is when they notify you that your card arrived safely. Major sigh of relief and then...well...you know what you are in for and Tom Petty was totally correct: the waiting IS the hardest part. Since I had put it in for 3 day service and it's an oversized card, I anticipated it taking a little bit longer - as indicated on the website. The 5x7 card size (and therefore, insert and holder size) isn't super common so I completely understand. It hadn't even been three full days yet anyway. However, I clicked on the invoice and there it was: a shipped date and a grade of 40 (3). This is a moment of pure joy for me; most of my Mickey cards are 3-5's and I try not to dip below a 3 (I have one still that I will upgrade eventually). So like I said originally, this was going to be all mentioned when I have card in hand (sounds like Monday) but when I logged back in today, the population report had already been updated! I wanted to credit SGC for their terrific turnaround time and updating of the population report. They now have 12 graded, and seeing that 1 under the 40 column and knowing it will soon be in my hands is a feeling unlike any I've had as a collector and one that, frankly, I may never have again.

As such, I wanted to share my excitement with all of you and add a note of gratitude as well. I won't go into great detail but there is literally no chance I even find this card for sale were it not for having joined this wonderful community. I don't know if there really is a ball field out in Iowa where the legends still play baseball but when they disappear into the corn after the game, I bet they log on to Net54...

You bet your bottom dollar a picture will be posted.

Thanks to all and please keep posting any more photos of your own, information you may have or anything else related!

Tim

Last edited by Timbegs; 04-20-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Chris

Told you it was real Glad to see you got a solid (and seemingly fair) grade on it! It's going to really like sharp in that holder.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
So like I said originally, this was going to be all mentioned when I have card in hand (sounds like Monday) but when I logged back in today, the population report had already been updated! I wanted to credit SGC for their terrific turnaround time and updating of the population report. They now have 12 graded, and seeing that 1 under the 40 column and knowing it will soon be in my hands is a feeling unlike any I've had as a collector and one that, frankly, I may never have again.

As such, I wanted to share my excitement with all of you and add a note of gratitude as well. I won't go into great detail but there is literally no chance I even find this card for sale were it not for having joined this wonderful community. I don't know if there really is a ball field out in Iowa where the legends still play baseball but when they disappear into the corn after the game, I bet they log on to Net54...

Thanks to all and please keep posting any more photos of your own, information you may have or anything else related!

Tim
Congratulations, Tim. I am so very happy for you! Thanks for beautifully sharing your feelings and joy. WHAT EVER YEAR the premium is from, and WHETHER IT IS ACTUALLY A TEST ISSUE HAILING FROM A GENERAL MILLS PROJECT EXECUTIVE, that is one beautiful Mickey Mantle item. I have always loved this picture of Mickey. The mesmerizing look of concentration in his eyes.....

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your bounty.

Hey, you never know, some day later on this year you might pull off another good find for your collection.

Do you think it's about time you buy a copy of my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN? If not, no hard feelings, but I think if you relish an item such as the Wheaties Premium, you would get a kick out of what you'd read in NEVER.

Enough of that. Just keep enjoying your latest prize, and savor the memory of the "1" underneath the SGC POP category for "40".

Take care. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-21-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Tim B
Banned

Default The 81st Known Copy - 12th Graded by SGC

One thing I found curious is the designation of 'Hand Cut'. It's finally home...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Tim B
Banned

So there's that - this card was Hand Cut. Is this true of all? Are they all hand cut? This information doesn't seem to be on other flips though SGC only added the 4th text line recently.

Just trying to provide more info to the thread and enjoying it.

And I know I've said it 5-6 times already, but I can't get over how young he looks! Can't get over it!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Chris

It's not hand cut. Google Mickey Mantle and "horse" for a fun young Mantle picture.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
It's not hand cut. Google Mickey Mantle and "horse" for a fun young Mantle picture.

So you think the slab is a mistake? Check my posted photo. I will call Tuesday to inquire further and see if I can dig up any further info...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Chris

Quote:
So you think the slab is a mistake? Check my posted photo. I will call Tuesday to inquire further and see if I can dig up any further info...
Yes. They aren't hand cut. It's a mistake but an insignificant one, in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Tim B
Banned

Default A better taken (and posted) photo...

...and that will be that last picture I post for a while. I will pop in with info from time to time so check back if you like and keep any information coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (7.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
While I truly was hoping to wait until I had card in hand and post the photo with the news, I have to share the outcome now:

When I logged on to the SGC website yesterday, I was doing so because I hadn't since I got one of those super emails. If you are like me, then you'll agree with me; one of my favorite things is when they notify you that your card arrived safely. Major sigh of relief and then...well...you know what you are in for and Tom Petty was totally correct: the waiting IS the hardest part. Since I had put it in for 3 day service and it's an oversized card, I anticipated it taking a little bit longer - as indicated on the website. The 5x7 card size (and therefore, insert and holder size) isn't super common so I completely understand. It hadn't even been three full days yet anyway. However, I clicked on the invoice and there it was: a shipped date and a grade of 40 (3). This is a moment of pure joy for me; most of my Mickey cards are 3-5's and I try not to dip below a 3 (I have one still that I will upgrade eventually). So like I said originally, this was going to be all mentioned when I have card in hand (sounds like Monday) but when I logged back in today, the population report had already been updated! I wanted to credit SGC for their terrific turnaround time and updating of the population report. They now have 12 graded, and seeing that 1 under the 40 column and knowing it will soon be in my hands is a feeling unlike any I've had as a collector and one that, frankly, I may never have again.

Tim

I personally love this card. Almost pulled the trigger on one at last years national for no reason haha. SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK Find and congrats.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Michael

I also am in the camp that does not believe this is a 1951 issue. However, I did recently pick one up. Ben, the person who sent yours in to be graded must have sent the one I picked up also. It is the same grade with a PSA number one off from yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1950s Wheaties adjusted.jpg (30.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Michael

I also want to add that it is interesting that the photo has been used elsewhere as well.

The first photo below is the Baseball Magazine "poster." It is listed in SCD as being issued in 1952. Given the date the photo was taken, it must have been in late 1952. Does any one else have one of these? I'm curious if they all have "Mickey" misspelled.

Next is the photo included in the 1953 Yankees team photo set.

Next is the photo used on the front of the Time Out magazine issued in July 1953.

Next is the photo included in the 1955 Yankees "Action Photo" set.

And lastly is the photo from an unknown source. Anyone know the source of this photo and when it was issued?

Does anyone have any other examples of the photo being used for other purposes? Edited to add that there are two additional photos in the "everyday Mantle" thread. Chris and Mike have variations.

Last edited by AustinMike; 05-03-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Add stuff
Old 05-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Ben W.hitener

Default The 10.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/mobile...um_photo_psa_1