NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2018, 01:51 AM
Ben

Default T207 The Best Tobacco Set Of All Time

Before you haters chime in...let me state my case.

Think about what the early 1900's looked like. Limited technology as we know it, death, disease, deplorable conditions, etc.
So, when I look at T207's...I automatically think of a very drab life at the time. T207s reflect that reality...you throw in a splash of color on the cards and you get...well...hope. It is easily the most "real" set of all time. It reflects true life at the time. The contrast between the brown (drab) background and the limited color appearing on the cards is absolutely stunning. Show me any other Tobacco Set that has that kind of contrast. It's either all color or black and white.

When you start breaking down the stats, T206s have probably 100 times per player and T205s 50 times per player compared to T207s. Factor in the fact that the T207 set has 15% more rare cards than the T20six Wagner...and I shake my head everyday why anyone would chase the T20six Wagner.

I'm a collector...not an investor, so my post here is to those true collectors of the hobby. But a word of warning to the investors out there, supply and demand always come back to equilibrium...trust me I know, and at some point the Tobacco market wakes up and realizes a T214 Cobb is infinitely more rare than any T20six Cobb combo you could imagine.

So...thanks for letting me put my opinion out there. I look forward to the debate that follows. Bottom line...it's not always about the money... we have all been conditioned to believe that this is exactly what it's about.

Ben

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 AM
pete ullman

T207's are cool...no doubt...the interesting array of players...the rarities...the backs...BUT...the GOAT???????? Thanks for the sunday am laugh!!!!!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birken View Post
Factor in the fact that the T207 set has 15% more rare cards than the T20six Wagner...and I shake my head everyday why anyone would chase the T20six Wagner.
It is because they aren't Honus Wagner, they are common players. The t206 Doyle is 5-6 times scarcer than the Wagner, but sells for much less. Wagner was one of the 2 big names in the game at the time. The kids all wanted Wagner and Cobb, they didn't care about Lewis and Lowdermilk.

When I collected in the 80s, the t207 set was popular along with t205 and t206. Lewis and Lowdermilk were two of the top 10 cards in the hobby. Now they can't even make a top 50 list of prewar cards. The hobby has shifted from set collecting to superstars and rookies. T207 lacks the biggest stars in the game. No Wagner. No Cobb. No Matty. No Young. Only WaJo of the big 5. You can't be in the discussion for the best set when you don't have the players everyone wants.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 AM
Eric
Eric

Appreciate the perspective but not even close.
Popularity- T206
Players included- T206
Colors/ esthetics- T206- but not nearly as nice as clean T205s
HOFers- T206
And I could go on.

As we see countless times, scarcity doesn’t always translate to value

Having said that, if you like T207, good for you. These are all opinions

Last edited by iowadoc77; 10-14-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Ken McMillan

Love my T207 Cubs. Interesting cards and interesting backs in my opinion
Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is because they aren't Honus Wagner, they are common players. The t206 Doyle is 5-6 times scarcer than the Wagner, but sells for much less. Wagner was one of the 2 big names in the game at the time. The kids all wanted Wagner and Cobb, they didn't care about Lewis and Lowdermilk.

When I collected in the 80s, the t207 set was popular along with t205 and t206. Lewis and Lowdermilk were two of the top 10 cards in the hobby. Now they can't even make a top 50 list of prewar cards. The hobby has shifted from set collecting to superstars and rookies. T207 lacks the biggest stars in the game. No Wagner. No Cobb. No Matty. No Young. Only WaJo of the big 5. You can't be in the discussion for the best set when you don't have the players everyone wants.
Yup yup!!! The reality of today’s hobby.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Joe

Death and drab in the 1900’s? I’m not sure the whole world was drab. Fine silks from China. Luxury liners full of wonderful china. Impressionists such as Monet and Renoir painting vivid colorful canvases. The invention of the automobile allowing people to travel by their own means farther than they ever imagined. Opulent railcars for luxury never imagined. No I believe times weren’t drab for everyone. But I like the T207 set. Just not colorful enough to hold my interest long.

Last edited by 2dueces; 10-14-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Drab?

Reading period novels and non-fiction from the early twentieth century leads me to a different conclusion.

I’m quite sure there were plenty of early T card collectors, who would shudder at the prospect of time travel to 2009.

Would any of you seriously consider waking up tomorrow in 2109 without a second thought?

I might want to visit, but not without a round trip ticket.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Howard Chasser

Default My 2 cents

Firstly let me state that I am new to prewar cards and T207 wasn't originally on the list of what I was going to collect. A couple of fellow collectors suggested I take a look - I did and have decided to collect some - based on my impression of the appearance of the cards - not sure I agree with the whole background of the era you provide, but I do agree there is something visually captivating about some of the cards.
That all said - you state correctly that the market is determined (VERY imperfectly) by supply and demand. That agreed - I would suggest the consensus is while there may be a much lower supply of T207, there is also a much lower demand. No guarantee that time changes the demand - that is based upon the tastes and preferences of the generation. If demand remains constant or diminishes simple economics dictate that with an unchanging supply there will be downward price pressure. Only with increased demand and a static supply would there be upward price pressure.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:10 PM
An$on

I love T207s for many of the reasons you state with regards to the look. I think the small splashes of color in what is an otherwise really dark and mysterious look is pretty brilliant. They're certainly much rarer than the other two but I still rank T205 and T206 ahead of it for a myriad of reasons. All the popular ones - better players, generally more detailed artwork, and those colors in T205/T206 are fabulous.

T207 has a fine place among the three and it's one of the more unique pre-war sets. Frankly, it's one of my favorite sets. I just don't know that that necessarily makes it better than the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prewarcards-ragan-sgc-30.jpg (48.8 KB, 702 views)
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Ben

I appreciate all the comments so far, I love hearing other perspectives. Don't get me wrong, I think T205, T206 are beautiful sets among many others of the era. I get the argument around lack of stars in T207 making it less desirable, but I still find it to be a very unique set and very different from any other set of the day.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T207

Quote:
Before you haters chime in...let me state my case.

Think about what the early 1900's looked like. Limited technology as we know it, death, disease, deplorable conditions, etc.
Ben

When you start off a post on this forum such as you did, it just doesn't go over to well.

First, were you alive in 1912 when the T207's were issued ? My parents, Aunt and Uncle were, and they certainly did not paint such a grim picture as your litany of negative events.
On the contrary, they would reminisce of a time (they were teenagers back then) when life in this country was vital and promising and people were very friendly.

Anyhow, I just could not understand where you were coming from with your preface to this subject of T207 cards. OK, here is where I'm coming from. I've been an avid Sportscard
set collector for more than 40 years. After I put together two T206 sets in the 1980's and 1990's, I began collecting T207's. I really enjoyed the challenge provided by this set, and
especially seeing and reading bios of ballplayers I had not known. For example, that "toughie", Louis Lowdermilk. Why did it cost me big $$$$ to get a BB card of a pitcher who had
a career W-L record of 4-5 ?

Anyway, I completed this T207 set, and eventually sold it with the exception of this Chet "Red" Hoff card. I kept Hoff for several reasons.....he was part of my Yankees collection....
at the time of his death (1998), he was the oldest former Major League ballplayer at age 107....and, I loved that he said the highlight of his career as a 20-year old pitcher, the first
batter he faced, was Ty Cobb, and Hoff struck him out on three straight pitches.

T-Rex TED

T206 Reference
Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Ben

Ted,

I very much appreciate your post. The title of this post was intentionally designed to be controversial and illicit the debate that has followed. The truth is, there is no one greatest T set or any other baseball set for that matter as it is all subjective to those who collect.

Your parent's experience (my grandparents experience) were vastly different. Neither of us were alive during that time. All of our current experiences are shaped by our past or some knowledge thereof. My grandparents experience (as Irish immigrants) was like the movie "Gangs of New York", so this is what shapes my perceptions of the early 1900s in America...not a place I would want to live in.

I agree it was a great time of hope and new beginnings in America, but it was also a time of shortened life expectancy due to disease, unsanitary conditions, the world on the verge of WW 1, etc. For the wealthy, the experience was obviously different.

The T207s imo capture that feel very well or at least my perception of that time. While I belive that T206, T205, etc are beautiful full color cards, I think sometimes that they are almost too colorful and don't truly reflect the experiences of the masses in the early 1900s which is why I am drawn to T207s and the fact that i find it boring looking at the same Cobb pose again and again and again through multiple Tobacco and E sets. I hope that I have clarified my position to your satisfaction.

I like to learn and I do not judge.

Ben

Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Ben

Ps. Ted

Love the Hoff and love the Lowder milk stats you provided...it's why this set is so stupidly awesome and why I love it so much. Yes, I admit, begrudgingly, it would have been nice if Cobb was represented in T207

Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T207

Quote:
Ps. Ted

Love the Hoff and love the Lowder milk stats you provided...it's why this set is so stupidly awesome and why I love it so much. Yes, I admit, begrudgingly, it would have been nice if Cobb was represented in T207

Ben

I was happy not having to chase after a Cobb when collecting the T207's. I was pleased to get a Smoky Joe Wood, Harry Hooper, Buck Weaver, and others not in the T206 set.

Actually, I have a theory regarding the printing of the T207 cards. I don't think they were printed at American Lithographic (as most of the T-cards of that era were). If so, this
may explain why Cobb, CYoung, etc. were not featured in the T207 set.

Furthermore, another tobacco set was issued in 1912.....the Imperial Tobacco (C46) set....which features Eastern (International) League players. And, these cards were printed
using different shades of brown ink. I have tried to find out what printing firm produced these cards, because it may have been the same one that printed the T207 set.

T-Rex TED

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 10-17-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Gary McNabb

I am an addicted New You American collector !
The one thing I like about the t207's is the lack of information creating interesting mysteries. One is, why are all the NYA's in the recruit class except the Hoff which is in the Broadleaf class. I'm sure whatever the reason is might be why the Hoff card is so tough. I'm also enjoying the hunt for the Napoleon backs, they are really tough to find. I only have two of them.
I also love this set !!!

Last edited by garymc; 10-15-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I second your opinion. T207 is an amazing set beyond what we see on these cards. When I did research into this set, I found that the political climate and social attitudes of the era had seeped into this set directly affecting its outcome. The T207 and its players haven't given up all their secrets just yet and I haven't seen every card in person either - which makes it fun.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I am an addicted New You American collector !
The one thing I like about the t207's is the lack of information creating interesting mysteries. One is, why are all the NYA's in the recruit class except the Hoff which is in the Broadleaf class. I'm sure whatever the reason is might be why the Hoff card is so tough. I'm also enjoying the hunt for the Napoleon backs, they are really tough to find. I only have two of them.
I also love this set !!!
I love the americans and nationals lingo! I think we should bring it back. Would love to hear people talking about the Cincinnati nationals or Chicago americans.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Luke Lyon

I love this set too. I really wish more people collected it because that adds to the fun of it for me. When I find a rare T206, I can share my excitement with dozens of friends who feel the same way about the set. When I find a rare T207, I have one friend who really loves them, and a handful that will humor me but don't like really care for them.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Gary McNabb

Default T207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I love this set too. I really wish more people collected it because that adds to the fun of it for me. When I find a rare T206, I can share my excitement with dozens of friends who feel the same way about the set. When I find a rare T207, I have one friend who really loves them, and a handful that will humor me but don't like really care for them.
Luke, please let me know when a NYA Napoleon comes around !!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Mike

Default T207 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Ben
[...]

Actually, I have a theory regarding the printing of the T207 cards. I don't think they were printed at American Lithographic (as most of the T-cards of that era were). If so, this may explain why Cobb, CYoung, etc. were not featured in the T207 set.

[...]
I can't help but agree with you on this Ted, primarily because we have evidence that the T207's (both Recruit and Broadleaf class) were printed on sheets both horizontally and vertically - similar to the Obaks (http://sep10.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=25005 - scroll to the bottom). I don't believe any of the current discussions or thinking around the T205/206 printing processes has suggested that link.

Just feels like (for that and other reasons) it wasn't the typical ATC/ALC production, so to speak. Regardless, there's still a lot to learn.

--
Mike
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Mike

Default Say it ain't so, Luke

Quote:
Not so many folks get jazzed about a find of a bunch of T207's with odd backs, eh Luke?! Now if it'd only been Napoleon, or Anon 3 Recruits!

Like you, I wish there were more to share things T207 with, but it seems the many posts here are met with, well, meh... There are a few aficionados about, but not nearly enough. Maybe that's changing and more folks are taking a closer look. That would be great ... well, my wallet might beg to differ, but the more folks interested, the better for all.

--
Mike
Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Mike

The backs are better than the T206's. Nice write ups. Is it harder to complete a complete set of T206 or T207's ???
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T207

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
I can't help but agree with you on this Ted, primarily because we have evidence that the T207's (both Recruit and Broadleaf class) were printed on sheets both horizontally and vertically - similar to the Obaks (http://sep10.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=25005 - scroll to the bottom). I don't believe any of the current discussions or thinking around the T205/206 printing processes has suggested that link.

Just feels like (for that and other reasons) it wasn't the typical ATC/ALC production, so to speak. Regardless, there's still a lot to learn.

--
Mike
Hi Mike

Well, it's good to hear that you feel the same way I do regarding this set. I thought I was alone with my theory. Anyhow, I just haven't spent much time trying to research in depth
this set. The different T207 tobacco backs (different from T205/T206 backs) I think are the key to solving this mystery.

T-Rex TED

T206 Reference
Old 10-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Ben

Default T207

Ted & Mike,

I too agree with your theories about this set. When you add in the Red Cross finds...Louisiana only distributed cards...it just gets weirder and weirder. I think sometimes that the T207 with Red Cross backs should almost have their own T classification similar to T214 Victory who used the same artwork of T206.One could argue that the same could be said for regular T207s and those T207s with the Red Cross back...just a thought.

BTW guys...love all the posts, pictures, information, knowledge, passion that you all have.

Ben
Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Ben

Default Tougher

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
The backs are better than the T206's. Nice write ups. Is it harder to complete a complete set of T206 or T207's ???
Good question Mike. I don't know to be honest, im not a collector of T206s, but the sheer size of T206 is daunting especially if you consider back and factory combinations.

But T207 has arguably 30% to 35% of its cards considered difficult to find. The lauded Lowdermilk is not so rare as many think.

Im gonna call it a tie
Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Ben

Default Ill Be Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Luke...you can share your excitement with finding a rare T207 with me any day of the week. I will humor you on the T206s lol.

Ben
Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 AM
Gary McNabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
Not so many folks get jazzed about a find of a bunch of T207's with odd backs, eh Luke?! Now if it'd only been Napoleon, or Anon 3 Recruits!

Like you, I wish there were more to share things T207 with, but it seems the many posts here are met with, well, meh... There are a few aficionados about, but not nearly enough. Maybe that's changing and more folks are taking a closer look. That would be great ... well, my wallet might beg to differ, but the more folks interested, the better for all.

--
Mike
would you share what you know about Anon 3 Recruits, whats the difference between them and the Broadleaf Anon's ????
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
It depends on what you consider complete for t206. If it is the 520 or 522 card set then t207. If you are including Wagner or Doyle, then t206 by a mile. Doyle is far more difficult than any t207. The price of Wagner makes it impossible for most collectors.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Kyle May

T207s secret weapon: Grover Hartley.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Rick McQuillan

Quote:
I really wish more people collected it because that adds to the fun of it for me.
Be careful what you wish for. When I started putting together my T213-2 set 8 years ago, I could pick up low grade Type II Coupons for $25-$30. It seems that now there is more attention being paid to this set and there are several people who are attempting to put this set together. Those cards that were $25 8 years ago are now $60 to $100 dollars.

I love the T207's but the only ones that I collect are the ones with the Louisiana backs.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T207 Leach Anonymous.jpg (7.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg T207 Leach Anonymous back.jpg (6.7 KB, 279 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 10-16-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 AM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It depends on what you consider complete for t206. If it is the 520 or 522 card set then t207. If you are including Wagner or Doyle, then t206 by a mile. Doyle is far more difficult than any t207. The price of Wagner makes it impossible for most collectors.

Another T207 fan here. I don't think the Doyle is a tough card...it is a tough printing anomaly...a distinction worth noting I think. The difficulty of the t207s as a whole has made it quite the fun challenge. I do love the muted colors as well. Speaking of muted colors, I grabbed the slabbed Dooin to complement my Cheshire Dooin...looks like they used the border grey for his face on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0016.jpg (76.5 KB, 379 views)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Be careful what you wish for. When I started putting together my T213-2 set 8 years ago, I could pick up low grade Type II Coupons for $25-$30. It seems that now there is more attention being paid to this set and there are several people who are attempting to put this set together. Those cards that were $25 8 years ago are now $60 to $100 dollars.

I love the T207's but the only ones with the Louisiana backs.

Rick
Yeah, this is definitely a good point. There really aren't enough of the tough T207s to go around, so I probably should just be happy that not many other collectors are out there looking.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 AM
Luke Lyon

Mac, I love that Dooin with the crazy registration!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Tony Ooten

I'm a fan of t207's and love this thread. The Speaker is one of my favorite pre-war cards.

A few years ago I tried to put together a Recruit subset of just the poses showing Bats, Gloves, or Belts (no portraits)... Just to give myself a small group to bite off. I don't think I made it all the way before I began to appreciate the portraits as well. I detoured and changed my subset chase to Recruit 2nd series (50 subjects as suggested by Tim Newcomb's article in VCBC #38 June 2004).

I didn't make it all the way on that one either when life got in the way and I had to take a detour.

I've never seriously attempted to include backs other than recruit, but based on the number I recall seeing while working on my recruit subsets, I suspect putting together a t207 set is a good bit more difficult than putting together a t206(520) set.

Here is my Speaker:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t207 speaker.jpg (75.3 KB, 350 views)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Ah, you mean other than Old Judge, T204, T205 and T206
Old 10-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Mike

Default Twins - kind of

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
Another T207 fan here. I don't think the Doyle is a tough card...it is a tough printing anomaly...a distinction worth noting I think. The difficulty of the t207s as a whole has made it quite the fun challenge. I do love the muted colors as well. Speaking of muted colors, I grabbed the slabbed Dooin to complement my Cheshire Dooin...looks like they used the border grey for his face on it.
Quote:
Mac, I love that Dooin with the crazy registration!
So do I - here's his red-handed twin (so to speak)

--
Mike
Old 10-16-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
There is a good case to be made that it is a printing anomaly and not part of the set. However, even if that is the case, the price of the Wagner makes completing a t206 set impossible for most collectors.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Mike

Default More T207

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
would you share what you know about Anon 3 Recruits, whats the difference between them and the Broadleaf Anon's ????
Hi Gary. A recent thread on T207 has a variety of details scattered throughout - mostly in the last half of the conversation. A number of details on the anonymous T207's. Earlier, more general T207 info, is also available.

Lots still to learn.
--
Mike

Last edited by frohme; 10-16-2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added other links
Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Ben - tell the truth. You work for UPS don't you? What other reason would you think that Brown has done something for us.

Just kidding of course...drab is beautiful...right?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Appreciate the perspective but not even close.
Popularity- T206
Players included- T206
Colors/ esthetics- T206- but not nearly as nice as clean T205s
HOFers- T206
And I could go on.

As we see countless times, scarcity doesn’t always translate to value

Having said that, if you like T207, good for you. These are all opinions

Obaks absolutely blow out T206 (and other tobacco sets) in terms of presentation.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Tony

Default T207 Weaver

Perfect timing for a T207 thread. A friend I work with who is not a collector just brought in a handful of cards for me to take a look at. He got them from his father in law who had them in a box in the closet. There are a handful of beat up t205 and t206...nothing special. There were also 5 t207s. Not the best condition but definitely 1 - 2. Wajo recruit back, 3 broadleafs (Bauman, Herzog, and O. Wilson) and the star of the group a Buck Weaver anonymous factory 25 VA.

Does anyone know if there is a true pop report of Weaver with the anon 25 VA back?

PS I’ve read every thread here and whatever articles I could find online. Obviously there are not many past sales either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EED4AEEC-33B5-4862-8E10-E3248D3FC37A.jpg (12.5 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg 4484D102-929A-4A11-A879-78A1C5BA4B62.jpg (14.3 KB, 324 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Mike

Default Hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post

Does anyone know if there is a true pop report of Weaver with the anon 25 VA back?

PS I’ve read every thread here and whatever articles I could find online. Obviously there are not many past sales either.
Congrats and very cool! Some tough customers in those cards, certainly. Hard to know exactly what the population of any card is, even when pop reports are clear ... which they are certainly not for Anon T207s.

In general, Factory 25 are harder to come by than the other Broadleaf-class cards, seemingly by a pretty decent gap. That said, some of the higher grade T207s (B/L class) are found with Anon Fac 25). The Weaver below is an solid mid-grade example.

--
Mike
Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Ben - tell the truth. You work for UPS don't you? What other reason would you think that Brown has done something for us.

Just kidding of course...drab is beautiful...right?
But UPS stands out don't they...tell me what uniforms Fed Ex where? Drab is Fab!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Ben

The set just kind of sucks you in doesn't it tony...kind of like a black hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I'm a fan of t207's and love this thread. The Speaker is one of my favorite pre-war cards.

A few years ago I tried to put together a Recruit subset of just the poses showing Bats, Gloves, or Belts (no portraits)... Just to give myself a small group to bite off. I don't think I made it all the way before I began to appreciate the portraits as well. I detoured and changed my subset chase to Recruit 2nd series (50 subjects as suggested by Tim Newcomb's article in VCBC #38 June 2004).

I didn't make it all the way on that one either when life got in the way and I had to take a detour.

I've never seriously attempted to include backs other than recruit, but based on the number I recall seeing while working on my recruit subsets, I suspect putting together a t207 set is a good bit more difficult than putting together a t206(520) set.

Here is my Speaker:
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 PM
Ben

Couldn't agree more guys. If T207 was as popular as other sets, commons would be out of reach for most and the Broad Leaf class would be selling for my first born. I'm glad there is less competition for the cards and so is my bank account as well as my wife
Quote:
Yeah, this is definitely a good point. There really aren't enough of the tough T207s to go around, so I probably should just be happy that not many other collectors are out there looking.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Yes, popularity has its upside and downside. And if Wags and Cobb were in it it would be more popular, imo

Quote:
Couldn't agree more guys. If T207 was as popular as other sets, commons would be out of reach for most and the Broad Leaf class would be selling for my first born. I'm glad there is less competition for the cards and so is my bank account as well as my wife

Old 10-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Is it still an axiom that the Lewis without team emblem is more valuable than his emblemed brother? Can't find any recent info on recent sales, if there have been any.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:05 PM
P.aul Orl,in

i love this set. has a charm to it for sure. some of the cards are rough to look at, like the WaJo portrait (for a player with some great looking cards, this portrait does not do him justice!), but many of them are very cool and the rarity and difficulty of collecting them, for a major set, is distinctive.

i have a complete set, most of which i got as part of an old time collection which i bought with another person in the hobby. i have added the two Lewis variations and some of the other variations that were missing, like the Livingstons, the Austin insignia, etc. It was not easy to find the missing cards, and i was going to upgrade some cards but it gave me fits and i decided to just be happy with the set as is. i upgraded the Lowdermilk when there were quite a few of them for sale a few years back, but i haven't seen much of anything from this set lately in major auctions.

one thing i noticed is that most of the cards in my set are Recruit with very few Napoleon. not sure if that was how this collector put it together or if Recruits are much more common on the "common" section of the set?

Last edited by puckpaul; 10-20-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Luke Lyon

Yeah, Recruits are very common and Napoleons are pretty tough, at least these days. A friend of mine who has been a dealer for a few decades told me that he would see Napoleons all the time like 20 years ago. He thinks a few people bought and stashed them away back then.