NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Should I cut these or leave them whole?

Found these in storage. I don't collect these. I was wondering if these have more value if I hand cut them and get them graded or just keep whole. Thanks yall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.5 KB, 370 views)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Curt

I would think the sheets would be more sought after than singles. You do have the potential to create some sharp singles though.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Really depends on your goal. Most commons from the '61 set can be found for $1-2 on COMC. However, a PSA 8 of Willie Mays has a book value of $100. But then you've got to cut it to size properly (or you get the dreaded Authentic) and you'll have to trim the adjoining cards to get the Mays out the nicest. Leaving the sheets together makes a nice presentation, but the sum of the parts probably exceeds the presentation value.

http://www.psacard.com/SMRPriceGuide...?SMRSetID=1180
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 AM

It's sad that people have to ask this question.

That buyers will pay more for some readily found card because it is entombed in a plastic case with a high number on it than for something that is actually rare and hard to find (the original uncut sheet) truly baffles me. (Actually uncut sheets aren't too uncommon with this set, but the general point remains).

The idiocy of paying big money for high grade cards and the absolute perversion that brings to this hobby is almost enough to make me want to sell my collection.

But without dealers pimping the need for high grade cards in your collection - they couldn't make a living selling cardboard. So they have to keep peddling that snake oil. And as H. L. Mencken once said "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." And there is no lower taste than a PSA 10.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Chris

Wink

I would leave it. I've paid a bit of a premium for sheets with Mantle on it. And there are a number of collectors out there seeking out full sheets.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

It's not dealers pimping the high grade. It wouldn't sell if there wasn't a market. How many times have I heard: "oh, it's a 7, I'm really looking for a 8 or better."

I, like most of yall, have been collecting since before TPG's. Didn't we still pay a premium for nicer condition stuff?

Like I said, I don't collect these. How is it idiocy to try to get the most out of an item, that I don't collect, to try to get funds for something I want?

Thanks for the input guys. Just noticed the Colavito, that one is staying with me for sure.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by Laxcat; 01-06-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I always consider it a shame when some 50+ year old uncut item gets cut up pieced out. If something lasts that long, it should stay intact IMO. I realize that may not be the conventional wisom these days.

They also look a lot better uncut to my eye.

Last edited by toppcat; 01-06-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Leave them. Market is already flooded with these cards but not that many sheets out there.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Al Richter

Default sheets

I don't specifically collect sheets, but I have a few, and would never consider cutting them. But that is my view as a collector. Not sure what I would do if I were in the hobby both as a collector and as a business
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Rich Nelson

I figure that you can always cut them tomorrow, but you can't put them back together. Play it safe and leave them as a sheet.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Sheets

Matt,

I would personally leave them intact.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I would leave them intact, for this reason alone if for none other. Because it says Sugar Crisp on the panel and not Golden Crisp. You can teach your kids all about Sugar Crisp, and Sugar Pops, and Sugar Smacks, and Sugar Frosted Flakes, and even Super Sugar Crisp. Get them all hopped up just talking about sugar.

You can even use your faux Dean Martin-esque voice to sing the "Can't get enough of that Sugar Crisp." jingle to them.

You won't see Sugar anything on cereal boxes in the US anymore. Canada's a different story though.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Collectors will pay nicely for full sheets. Consign to a good AH and let the games begin.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good question, Matt. I am right there with you on what to do with items like that but so far don't remember cutting anything up. I have some stuff just like what you showed too. (well, close anyway). I usually can't figure it out and put whatever it is into one of my large "to-do" bins for later consideration. My bins are large and I have a lot to do later.....whenever that is.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

No way I could possibly cut them well enough to get them graded. I can barely cut coupons out of the paper.

No sure what the harangue above is all about with respect high graded cards. I like cards is better condition than worse condition, so yes I pay attention to grading. I think it's a lot cooler to have a Goudey is PSA 7 or 8 than torn around the edges. I guess I've been brainwashed by the dealers too.

Not saying blind allegiance to a grade is always the way to go, but for many of us professional grading is a security blanket that we are buying an actual item (not that they never make mistakes) and some assurance of quality (not that there isn't legitimate room for disagreement in many cases about eye appeal). Whether its baseball cards, art work, or anything else, people are always going to be attracted to scarcity. Doesn't make them short sighted or mindless sheep.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-08-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Howard Chasser

Default my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Found these in storage. I don't collect these. I was wondering if these have more value if I hand cut them and get them graded or just keep whole. Thanks yall.
1) I echo much of the previous sentiment about maintaining items in their "found" form. Once cut - never to be whole again. I truly do and have sold items in the past for what I knew would be less money to keep them intact.

2) That said, I also once cut a sheet to get more money from it - it was difficult to make the decision to do so - related to the statement above and it was considerably more money than I believe I would have gotten from the sheet intact - comfortable in hind sight that I made the decision - although sad that an uncut version may never be seen again.

3) Regarding your panels - I would check the sheets for stars (Like the Mays) and any short prints that might command a premium in high grade - take a look(check ebay and card target or vcp) at what grade they would have to be in to get you a significant price bump - study the cards on the sheets carefully and make a decision about the likelihood of your ability to cut the card(s) from the sheet(s) and get the needed grade. Consider that against the premium that might be gotten for the sheets. I don't know the post sets and short prints and variations that well, but I can tell you I would expect much more demand and action on the 1961 sheets (making it harder to justify cutting those)- they are much harder to come by than the 62's. Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Michael

Matt, I know I'm late to the party, but I do have two cents I'd like to throw in.

I, like others have voiced, think they shouldn't be cut up simply because it would be a shame to undo what has somehow survived for 50+ years.

But, I understand the monetary aspect of it, so consider the following.

I've been collecting uncut Post panels for about a dozen years now. When I first started the rule of thumb was that the complete panel was worth about twice the sum of the value of the individual cards. I've always tried not to pay more than twice the individual card values for a panel and was often able to get some for less. In the last couple of years, it seems things have changed, especially for 1963 panels (which unfortunately you don't have). It's very rare for a panel to go for less than twice the sum of the individual card values. Even panels from 1962 (which are more common than panels from 1961 or 1963) can sell for more than twice the value of the individual cards. One thing that helps the value of the panel is having the ads still on the panels, which yours have.

You should also consider that keeping the panels intact also means you would avoid the grading fees. Plus keeping the panels intact also means that you don't have to worry about cutting the cards so that they can get a numerical grade (this is especially true for the 1961 panels).

Bottom line, I think if you were to cut the panels up, you would not be able to sell the individually graded cards that you are lucky to get out of them for more than you would get for the panels.