NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Default Clark's Bread cards on eBay last Friday night

Hello,

There were 15 Clark's Bread cards that ended on eBay last Friday night. I didn't know about this subset until I saw the listings and then did some research.

My questions, for future reference, are these:

1) How rare are these cards?

2) How desirable are these cards, as in, are there many people who know, care and collect these or are they just a red-headed step child that few know or care about?

3) Were the prices high, low or just about right for them?

The seller was sinclairpark.

David
Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Hello,

There were 15 Clark's Bread cards that ended on eBay last Friday night. I didn't know about this subset until I saw the listings and then did some research.

2) How desirable are these cards, as in, are there many people who know, care and collect these or are they just a red-headed step child that few know or care about?

David
David,

Great questions.

1) The cards are very rare.

2) The rarity of the cards make them unknown to most collectors and that does affect the value of the cards.

3) With their rarity and the few people who know about them it comes down to in the auction the old saying "whatever the market will bear." I would say the prices were fair given the condition of the cards.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Hello,

David

1) I believe the ones auctioned off last week account for about 50% of all examples. That is, there are about 30 Clark's Bread cards in circulation in the hobby.

2) They're about as well known as most cards of comparable rarity. Haffner's and Gassler's backs (also found with E121 fronts) are in the same boat. Clark's would have been considered rarer than those others a couple of weeks ago, but the Sinclair Park find changed that. Pre-war type card collectors are quite familiar with them. The other 7.6 billion or so people don't really care.

3) There were some eBay network/sniping problems for the first four that sold, so those prices were artificially low. The others finished about where I expected them to.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default +1

Like Glenn said, they are really tough types. My initial snipe did not go through due to an unspecified "ebay error," and the first few went quite low. I had to readjust and go much higher on my other target, which I got.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Like Glenn said, they are really tough types. My initial snipe did not go through due to an unspecified "ebay error," and the first few went quite low. I had to readjust and go much higher on my other target, which I got.
Same thing happened to me in regards to the Ebay Error, I had a very hefty snipe on a few of the first ones and they went very cheaply.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Same thing happened to me in regards to the Ebay Error, I had a very hefty snipe on a few of the first ones and they went very cheaply.
Ended auctions- https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&LH_Complete=1

They didn't go quite as cheaply as I thought they would. I think I had snipes on all of them but only came away with...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holke.jpg (23.5 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg holkeb.jpg (25.6 KB, 721 views)

Last edited by Leon; 11-09-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Dan Bl@u

This caught my eye at a show today...I don't collect them, but remembered this recent thread and thought it was interesting that one just popped up randomly today (and especially in such nice condition). It was "in the wild" just a couple weeks ago until it was pulled out of a storage shed and sold to a dealer. Always neat to think about what's still out there.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Bry@n

Not 100% sure it is the same card Dan, but I think I saw that card at this year's National too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
This caught my eye at a show today...I don't collect them, but remembered this recent thread and thought it was interesting that one just popped up randomly today (and especially in such nice condition). It was "in the wild" just a couple weeks ago until it was pulled out of a storage shed and sold to a dealer. Always neat to think about what's still out there.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Not 100% sure it is the same card Dan, but I think I saw that card at this year's National too.
You may have, I was probably off with my timeline. The dealer just mentioned he had bought it from the previous owner recently. A neat card nonetheless.

Last edited by Bliggity; 12-08-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Steven Sadler

The PSA 5 Witt was listed on EBay at the same time the others were auctioned off so two different cards. Either way, really nice card...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Not the same

Plus,I think all the Clarks in that group had pencil marks on the back.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Not all of them. This was one that I won.

But the real reason I'm resurrecting this thread is to ask if anyone knows about the Clark's Bread bakery itself -- location, years of operation, etc.

Does this suggest that Clark's and Holsum (of D327 fame) were the same (New Orleans-based) company? Or is it that "Holsum" and/or "Kleen Maid" were commonly used names for American bakeries to use in marketing their bread in the 20s and 30s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clark's Foster back.jpg (73.7 KB, 375 views)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Not all of them. This was one that I won.

But the real reason I'm resurrecting this thread is to ask if anyone knows about the Clark's Bread bakery itself -- location, years of operation, etc.

Does this suggest that Clark's and Holsum (of D327 fame) were the same (New Orleans-based) company? Or is it that "Holsum" and/or "Kleen Maid" were commonly used names for American bakeries to use in marketing their bread in the 20s and 30s?
Gassler's had American Maid on them too.,.,.(previous collection) I have never seen a Kleen Maid....

Last edited by Leon; 02-09-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Val Kehl

Here's another American-Maid Bread card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wool's Bread 1921 W551 - front.jpg (71.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Wool's Bread 1921 W551 - back.jpg (70.3 KB, 276 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM

Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM

I found 7 of these Clark’s Bread cards in my collection recently. I sent them off to PSA to be graded. My grandma gave me the cards when I was a kid, more than 20 years ago. I have John McGraw, Red Faber, Sam Rice, Duffy Lewis, George Dauss, Charles Deal, and Pep Young.

Of the 7 cards, I think the George Dauss is probably in the best shape.
Let me know if you are interested. I’ll likely sell some of them when I get them back from PSA.

Last edited by MWheeler79; 10-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sounds like they are rare and you will do very well if you auction them off. Good luck.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...